PDA

View Full Version : Big band jazz and carnation Bandstand

sand20go
08-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Is DL still booking in jazz bands into the Carnation Gardens bandstand? Two of my best DL experiences where hearing the Basie band (after the Count died) and Wood Herman's Thundering Heard play DL.

08-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Two of my best DL experiences where hearing the Basie band (after the Count died) and Wood Herman's Thundering Heard play DL.

I saw both of those bands at DL! And afterward, you could wander over to New Orleans Square for live Dixieland. DL was jazz heaven.

Opus1guy
08-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Is DL still booking in jazz bands into the Carnation Gardens bandstand? Two of my best DL experiences where hearing the Basie band (after the Count died) and Wood Herman's Thundering Heard play DL.

The don't book the really big names like they used to (heck...it's getting hard to find any that are still around! ;)), but they still have a pretty decent lineup of talent there, IMHO.

Opus1guy
08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I saw both of those bands at DL! And afterward, you could wander over to New Orleans Square for live Dixieland. DL was jazz heaven.

It really was. Not only the big names (Stan Kenton and his band was my favorite) but they also had really superlative "house" talent booked too. Folks used to come from all over to Disneyland just to hear the wonderful and talented Teddy Buckner (http://www.mp3.com/teddy-buckner/artists/45702/biography.html) and his band entertain nightly at the French Market Café.

But back in those days, Disneyland was more of a "park" and you could purchase a no-ride General Admission ticket for a couple of bucks, just to come in and watch the shows.

Teddy Buckner appeared in the great Sydney Pollack directed depression-era dance marathon movie..."They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" in 1969.

potzbie
08-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Is DL still booking in jazz bands into the Carnation Gardens bandstand?

You bet!
Every Saturday night!
On-season and off-season!
That is why I bought the every-day Annual Pass, so that I would no longer be blocked out on Saturdays!

And it seems that during the summer, DL is adding Friday nights as well!

That is the #1 reason I upgraded!
I had to check out the Big Bands!

And for those times that I've seen the band before, only then do I mosey on over to Club Buzz for Voyager; 80z All Stars; Sandbox; The Antix; The Basix; Party Central; (etc.)

08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
they also had really superlative "house" talent booked too.

Gosh, yes. :)

Thank you, Uncle Walt.

kinglouie1967
08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
And afterward, you could wander over to New Orleans Square for live Dixieland.

The Firehouse Five Plus Two?

I'm jealous of you guys who've seen some of the greats there. But we've got some pretty good jazz here in Chicago, so I can't complain.