PDA

View Full Version : Planning our trip - December, 2005

jmdisque
08-15-2005, 03:36 AM
Hello,

I have been lurking on the boards for awhile now and have learned a lot. Now it's time for me to get serious!!

We are going to DLR/CA December 17-21 or thereabouts. At this point, we are driving from Kansas unless the airlines come through with some cheaper flights. Of course, with gas at $2.60/gallon here, I'm not sure which will be cheaper!!

We are staying at the Comfort Inn Maingate. Has anyone else had any experience at this hotel? There are 4 adults and 2 children in our party and they seem to have the biggest room for our buck.

I read the previous post of what to do at Christmas and that has helped. We are planning on buying a 2 day Park Hopper pass. How should we divide that time? Our girls are 7 and 12.

I know there's lots more to ask but it's too early for me to remember!!

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jacquie

hlbtimes2
08-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Look at the review section here at MP to see if there are any reviews of the hotel. They seem to have something on just about every hotel in the area. Also try www.tripadvisor.com

If you are going to be in the area for 5 days I would recomend getting more then a 2 day hopper. If you get 3 or more days you'll get Early Entry into the park on one day of your stay, and will planning a short visit (not that 5 days is short, but a 2 day hopper is) the extra hour in the morning might really help. Plus, its not that much to add an extra day, that way you have it just in case you want to spend more time in the parks. Two days for someone that isnt in the parks all the time is going to be pretty rushed.

rentayenta
08-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Christmas is the absolute best time to be at Disneyland. The place is pure magic! We will be there from December 9-13.

I agree with Linda about trying to squeeze in a 3rd day. For that time of year you really need 2 full days at Disneyland and one full day at DCA. Between the fireworks, parades, and shows there is a ton to see.

08-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Make that a third vote for a third day!

Wendi
08-15-2005, 08:18 AM
My only advice would also be to stay longer, I can't imagine driving all the way from Kansas and only staying for 2 days. You are going to want more time for sure.

I haven't stayed at the Comfort Inn, so I can't advise you there.

As far as dividing your time, I generally park-hop back and forth maybe 3 times a day, that way you can hit the parades/shows you want, and the rides you want. The parks are so close to one another that it doesn't take much time to go from DL to DCA.

twist1980
08-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I stayed at the Comfort Inn in 1997. It was my first time staying in a hotel as my aunt lives in Huntington Beach (about 30 minutes away) and we would always stay there. It is a very short walk from the gate so that is good. Its a pretty old hotel. What you think of it will totally depend on what type of hotels you like to stay in. At that point I was 17 and had no money (I went with a group of friends), so it was great. It is pretty worn down and since I have more to spend now I wouldn't stay there again. If I remember right, they do have a very small outdoor pool. I didn't swim in it, but we did walk to check it out. It is fine as long as your not expecting much. And for the cheap price its great.
As far as airline tickets go, I would wait until after the summer when gas prices go down a bit to buy them. Airline tickets tend to fluctuate aloing with the gas prices. Hopefully you can get cheaper tickets and spend more time in Anaheim. I agree that it is a long way to drive from Kansas for a few days. You need at least a day at each park plus a third to see your favorite attractions and Downtown Disney. I have to have at least five days each trip (just for the Disney parks). Good luck with airfare!

stut15
08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Make sure you check Southwest airlines in the next several weeks, the fares will change soon and Southwest flies from Kansas City to LAX. They usually have VERY cheap fares!

twist1980
08-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Good point Stut15, I've always found great fares with SWA. Also check into flying into Orange County (John Wayne Airport) or Long Beach. I usually fly into Orange County as I can usually find cheaper fares and the drive is shorter than from LAX, which means cheaper taxi or airport bus fares. Use Travelocity.com or expedia.com to look for fares. They usually show you if there are cheaper fares to another airport. And by the way, when you are searching, the airport code for Orange County is SNA. :)