PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland and Hockey games

Pages : [1] 2

Disney4Me
08-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I was hoping to get my DS to a hockey game while we are there. It looks like there is one on Monday the 10th and the Friday the 14th both at 7:30. We get there on Sunday the 9th and I was thinking of starting the trip by going to Legoland on the Monday..would we be back in time to catch the game? I wanted to be at Disneyland Fri night to catch all the good stuff. Does anyone know if seats sell out or could I chance getting tickets at the door? Thanks.

08-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Bump!

Anyone know?

bassett1976
08-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't follow hockey or the ducks very much but you might want to get the tickets before hand to make sure that you have seats. Being an Angel fan, I hate the fact that I cannot just show up the day of games and get tickets.

Will you have enough time to get back from Legoland? Depends on when you leave and how bad the traffic is from Carlsbad. It can be a long trip through the OC crunch.

disney jones
08-14-2005, 02:12 PM
i will offer my opinion.
Monday is a good choice for a game. It's against Edmonton, and its safe to say that's not a big draw in SOCal.

there are some decent car pool lanes from Dana Point onward north to Anaheim that you'll be able to travel. i've never been to Legoland, but i'm guessing you can wrap up the day there at 4-430 pm and easily make it back to Anaheim in time for a 730pm game.

In general, tickets should be easy to obtain, because the Ducks haven't been drawing as well the last year or so, and there are likely to be a lot of fans put off by the strike last year, and not willing to show up to ANY game, especially earlier in the season against Edmonton.

Why not just buy tickets ahead of time? Then you won't have to worry about it. Finally, if Monday and Friday don't work out, you might also consider the LA Kings that play just 30 miles up the road. Edmonton plays there in LA Tuesday night, and Detroit which will be a scarcer ticket (but still easily obtainable i think) plays in LA Thursday night.

Disney4Me
08-14-2005, 09:31 PM
i will offer my opinion.
Monday is a good choice for a game. It's against Edmonton, and its safe to say that's not a big draw in SOCal.

there are some decent car pool lanes from Dana Point onward north to Anaheim that you'll be able to travel. i've never been to Legoland, but i'm guessing you can wrap up the day there at 4-430 pm and easily make it back to Anaheim in time for a 730pm game.

In general, tickets should be easy to obtain, because the Ducks haven't been drawing as well the last year or so, and there are likely to be a lot of fans put off by the strike last year, and not willing to show up to ANY game, especially earlier in the season against Edmonton.

Why not just buy tickets ahead of time? Then you won't have to worry about it. Finally, if Monday and Friday don't work out, you might also consider the LA Kings that play just 30 miles up the road. Edmonton plays there in LA Tuesday night, and Detroit which will be a scarcer ticket (but still easily obtainable i think) plays in LA Thursday night.

I may just get tickets ahead as people suggested. I did consider LA but we are only at Disneyland for 9 full days and they seem to be getting full. Legoland/hockey first full day, a few days of Disneyland/Medevil Times/Universal and back to Disneyland. I checked to see the next Ducks game and it is Columbus. Edmonton is not one of our favorite teams or the most exciting to watch right now. Detroit would rock but they are in Vancouver in November as well. I don't know if a friend and her son are coming so logistics of too much traveling with my DS stress me a little. He can't share driving! If we somehow miss the game I will look at the LA one, thanks.

sdfilmcritic
08-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Hockey and Disneyland? Oh! I want to go. You don't understand how jealous I am of you!

sleepyjeff
08-14-2005, 10:00 PM
um.....they do have Hockey in Canada too you know ;) .........Across the water not too far you have NHL Hockey and right on your Island I believe you have some of the best Tier II teams in the World :cool:

olegc
08-15-2005, 10:33 AM
note that the north 5 thru central orange county (irvine thru Anaheim, and up the 57 Fwy to the pond) is EXTREMELY crowded during evening rush hour. make sure to give yourself plenty of time - OR - you can try to squeeze in the drive just before faceoff. Note that depending on what time you get out of Legoland could make the difference as well.

Maus
08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Edmonton is not one of our favorite teams or the most exciting to watch right now. Detroit would rock but they are in Vancouver in November as well.

I personally think watching any NHL hockey will be exciting right now! :D

TikiGeek
08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
note that the north 5 thru central orange county (irvine thru Anaheim, and up the 57 Fwy to the pond) is EXTREMELY crowded during evening rush hour. make sure to give yourself plenty of time I would like to second this - Traffic from San Diego to Anaheim can be horrific that time of day or anytime for that matter. Carpool lanes are a life saver but they don't start until you get to SJC. I've been stuck in traffic in the carpool lanes too - welcome to SoCal. :rolleyes:

A trip to the Pond would be worth it - it's a great facility. You shoud be able to get "walk-up" tickets for those dates but no guarantee.

Go Ducks! Go Kings! Thank God we're getting hockey back! :)

Disney4Me
08-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Hockey and Disneyland? Oh! I want to go. You don't understand how jealous I am of you!

I've been waiting my whole life for this! I wish I could say I have done it before but this will be a first for my son and I. :)
I think it adds one more great reason to take him in Oct and not the summer. Now if only I could justify a second trip down the road. Would love to see a ball game too if we are down at the right time. Maybe next time though.

Disney4Me
08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
um.....they do have Hockey in Canada too you know ;) .........Across the water not too far you have NHL Hockey and right on your Island I believe you have some of the best Tier II teams in the World :cool:

:fez: lol Logistics of getting to a Canuck game are complicated. 2 hr drive, Ferry costs, food, tickets (which are not as good priced as the ones for the Ducks) and hotel. My son is old enough to appreciate it now but there were no games last year. We will get to a game on the mainland this year though! :)

We do have some good Tier II teams. We go to Victoria to the arena and to Bear Mtn Arena sometimes. We have a Junior B team in my town that are pretty good to watch when they are not brawling. ;)

Oh yes, it will be a big hockey year for us and I just can't wait.

Disney4Me
08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
(TikiGeek)I would like to second this - Traffic from San Diego to Anaheim can be horrific that time of day or anytime for that matter. Carpool lanes are a life saver but they don't start until you get to SJC. I've been stuck in traffic in the carpool lanes too - welcome to SoCal. :rolleyes:

I checked and it says Legoland closes at 5 (actually rides close at 4:45). Does 2 1/2 hrs leave enough time to get back and to the game? Not worried about my son being tired because he could nap on bus and besides there is no such thing as being too tired to watch NHL live! :)

sleepyjeff
08-15-2005, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Disney4Me
We do have some good Tier II teams. We go to Victoria to the arena and to Bear Mtn Arena sometimes. We have a Junior B team in my town that are pretty good to watch when they are not brawling. ;)

Oh yes, it will be a big hockey year for us and I just can't wait.[/QUOTE]

:) :) My WinterHawks were in a rebuilding year last season but are returning at least 15 players from last year.....that and the NHL returning will make for a very nice Hockey season this year I hope :)

disney jones
08-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I..... Would love to see a ball game too if we are down at the right time. Maybe next time though.i'm very hopeful and its likely the Angels will be playing still in late Ocotber! :D :D :D

What part of Vancouver Island - we honeymooned in Victoria and Tofino. i loved Tofino especially - we were up there in October coincidently.

Disney4Me
08-15-2005, 10:16 PM
:) :) My WinterHawks were in a rebuilding year last season but are returning at least 15 players from last year.....that and the NHL returning will make for a very nice Hockey season this year I hope :)

I saw the WinterHawks play back when Russ and Geoff Courtnall used to play for the Victoria Cougars. (that was like forever ago) The first year of rebuilding is a tough one. I just thought how many hockey games I could go to if I cancelled by Disney Trip. :eek: Actually I couldn't do that. First off my son would cry, then I would cry and secondly we play hockey almost every weekend. Oh yeah, :rolleyes: there is that school thing too. :fez:

Disney4Me
08-15-2005, 10:22 PM
i'm very hopeful and its likely the Angels will be playing still in late Ocotber! :D :D :D

What part of Vancouver Island - we honeymooned in Victoria and Tofino. i loved Tofino especially - we were up there in October coincidently.

I grew up in Victoria. We lived in Oak Bay/View Royal/Sooke and a few other places over the years. I moved up North of Courtenay/Comox area (3 hrs from Victoria) around 13 yrs ago. Did you stay at the Wickanninish Inn? I think Tofino is a pretty neat place.

disney jones
08-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I grew up in Victoria. We lived in Oak Bay/View Royal/Sooke and a few other places over the years. I moved up North of Courtenay/Comox area (3 hrs from Victoria) around 13 yrs ago. Did you stay at the Wickanninish Inn? I think Tofino is a pretty neat place.yes, we stayed at the Wickanninish for about a week. :D that is a GREAT place! we also stayed at The Empress in their best honeymoon suite room for a few nights just before that.

i just checked prices again at the Wick and they've appeared to have gone up considerably from what i remember 8 years ago. :eek:

Disney4Me
08-15-2005, 10:51 PM
yes, we stayed at the Wickanninish for about a week. :D that is a GREAT place! we also stayed at The Empress in their best honeymoon suite room for a few nights just before that.

i just checked prices again at the Wick and they've appeared to have gone up considerably from what i remember 8 years ago. :eek:

They seem to have the market cornered. I have heard that their "Storm" season is incredible. (That should be off season.) Only in Tofino could they capitalize on that! For those prices, my future husband (when I start dating)lol can expect that we will be honeymooning at the GCH or something. :)
I stayed at the Empress once. I like the bath robes. We were at Hotel Vancouver and entered a draw and won. It seemed kind of silly to stay at the Empress when we lived in Victoria. I am glad that we did though.

disney jones
08-15-2005, 11:35 PM
... Only in Tofino could they capitalize on that! For those prices, my future husband (when I start dating)lol can expect that we will be honeymooning at the GCH or something. :) Tofino and the Wick is one of the best kept travel secrets out there. ;)

i can relate to the feeling of wanting to head south - that's exactly why i headed to the Pacific Northwest to honeymoon - i grew up and spent most of my life in Palm Springs, CA - the last place i wanted to go for a honeymoon was a tourist place with sunshine and palm trees - LOL!

as for hockey, i was always a Kings fan growing up (Rogie Vachon!!) and got to see a Stanley Cup game in '93 against the Habs (stupid McSorley and his stick :mad: ), but ever since the Coyotes and me are in Phoenix togehter, i'm a fan of theirs - we have Gretsky as coach now so that will definitely be interesting, but Glendale's twice as far for me to drive so i haven't seen them since Roenick, Tkachuck, and Khabibulin all left and they moved out there. My last Kings game was at the Forum, and i never made it to the Pond either.

Disney4Me
08-15-2005, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=disney jones]Tofino and the Wick is one of the best kept travel secrets out there. ;)

i can relate to the feeling of wanting to head south - that's exactly why i headed to the Pacific Northwest to honeymoon - i grew up and spent most of my life in Palm Springs, CA - the last place i wanted to go for a honeymoon was a tourist place with sunshine and palm trees - LOL!

Geez, maybe we should erase all this or everyone will know about the place :D
It should be interesting to see how Gretzky with the team. He opened training camp(first round) in Vancouver today for the Olympic team. Lots of big names this year. They will have a hard time paring down the list. Do you know if Olympic Hockey is following the new NHL rules?

TowerofTerror
08-16-2005, 12:00 AM
well i like the kings but since Ive live in southern California .I like the ducks over the kings.I never like the raiders.But Ive grown up liking the dodgers

WITron
08-16-2005, 12:47 AM
I just realized I am going to miss two key Packer games when we are on our trip in December :( . They are playing the Bears in the early game when we arrive and the Lions the day we leave.

And go Angels!!!!!

Drince88
08-16-2005, 03:56 AM
I checked and it says Legoland closes at 5 (actually rides close at 4:45). Does 2 1/2 hrs leave enough time to get back and to the game? Not worried about my son being tired because he could nap on bus and besides there is no such thing as being too tired to watch NHL live! :)
Sorry to interrupt the hockey talk -- I see the word 'bus' in here that raised a red flag with me, and I don't live in S.California -- Traffic Experts: Is that going to create issues with the planned schedule?

Disney4Me
08-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Sorry to interrupt the hockey talk -- I see the word 'bus' in here that raised a red flag with me, and I don't live in S.California -- Traffic Experts: Is that going to create issues with the planned schedule?
:eek: Please please say no. It is one of those tour buses. I am hoping that 2 1/2 will get me back.