PDA

View Full Version : Extremely hokey tourist question... The Hollywood Sign]

Llisa
08-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't know why but I REALLY want to see the big "HOLLYWOOD" sign on our trip to California next week (yes, yes, I know it's a stupid, touristy thing to do but hey, if the stupid tourist hat fits.....).

Can anyone tell me from what location I'll get a good view (and photo). My understanding is that you can't actually go near the sign anymore (too many suicides?)???

Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

EchoThree76
08-13-2005, 12:59 AM
This 'll help!
http://www.hollywoodsign.org/

TP2000
08-13-2005, 01:54 AM
You can see it very well from the Hollywood & Highland Center shopping mall in downtown Hollywood. The mall is connected to the Kodak Theater where they have the Oscars, so either of those locations will show up on any decent map.

And now that I think about it, the Hollywood & Highland Center is at the corner of.... wait for it.... Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.! Find that intersection and mall and you'll find a great view of the HOLLYWOOD sign.

Even as a SoCal local, whenever I'm in LA and I catch a glimpse of that sign I think "Oh, cool, I'm in Hollywood!".

tod
08-13-2005, 07:21 AM
The HOLLYWOOD sign is a major icon of L.A. Thanks for taking an interest in our history.

You can't really get next to the sign any more, bit that's okay. Up close it looks ratty anyway.

It makes a good background note to other pictures, like the one of Johnny Ramone's grave I attached. (Unfortunately compressed to fit, but you can see a hint of it in the hill back there.) You can also use it as background of a picture of Capitol Records on Vine Street, just north of Hollywood boulevard.

The Hollywood and Highmald complex has an arch in the middle that aims right at the HOLLYWOOD sign in one direction, and the El Capitan in the other (Old and new Hollywood. Clever, eh? Walkways through the arch can put you in a good position to take shots of both, or you can use the arch to frame your pictures.

Have fun. And don't spend too much time in Hollywood. For all its activity and history, it's run-down and grungy. Don't walk, take a bus tour and get out before it gets depressing.

--t

Llisa
08-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Thank you SO much - you Southern California's are a very helpful bunch!!! Now, for the next two weeks I'd like to order the typical California weather - sunny, warm but not hot, low humidity, no haze, no smog - can y'all arrange that for me!!!!!!!????

Thanks again for your help.

Klutch
08-13-2005, 07:30 AM
When I was a kid, somebody modified the sign to read "HOLLYWEED". :D

I don't think it's cheesey at all to want to see the Hollywood sign.

CrazyTrain
08-13-2005, 09:40 AM
That site says Franklin and Gower, and that is a good location. We generally go up Gower a little bit more. Too far up and you're too close (and really residential).

The view from Hollywood and Highland is good (and neat because you can get a pic with it behind you - go up a few levels) but the smoggier it is, the harder it is to see. It's still a ways away from there. The pic on that site isn't TOTALLY accurate - you can actually read what it says.

The Mouse Is Back
08-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Llisa, you're probably in luck weather-wise, since it looks like we're going to have moderate summer temps for a few weeks. I'M SO GLAD!! We just went through a heat wave out here in the Valley that made me want to move to Alaska. ;)

As far as the no smog...well, I don't know...usually when the weather's beautiful, everyone says "hey, it's such a nice day - let's go for a drive!", which is not good for the pollution level.

Have a great trip!

-Allegra-

mayanlily
08-13-2005, 06:48 PM
We spent 2 days in Disney and then drove up the coast to take in a few sites. After seeing Santa Monica Pier, we drove to Sunset Blvd. It was Sunday night so there was no traffic. We rode until we could see the Hollywood sign in the distance. It was soo cool!!

DCACM
08-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Not at all stupid. I'm a local and still love seeing the sign.

If you really want a good look, get to the intersection of Franklin and Gower. Head East on Gower and make a Left on Beachwood. Beachwood will take you up in to the "Hollywood Land" neighborhood. You'll see some great old homes, and awesome views of the sign. If you're there in the morning, there's a little restaurant that serves breakfast, I've seen many celebs there. Just don't "act" like a tourist and you'll be fine.

I don't know why but I REALLY want to see the big "HOLLYWOOD" sign on our trip to California next week (yes, yes, I know it's a stupid, touristy thing to do but hey, if the stupid tourist hat fits.....).

Can anyone tell me from what location I'll get a good view (and photo). My understanding is that you can't actually go near the sign anymore (too many suicides?)???

Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

DisneyDustin22
08-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Get yourself a map and take the 101 to Barham. Go right, go up the hill and make another right on Lake Hollywood Drive. Follow it through the neighborhood and down around the reservoir. There is a dog park in that neighborhood where you can get GREAT views of the sign. See attached:

BWthespian
08-14-2005, 02:44 PM
make sure to go and find roscoes chicken and waffles "omg" has anybody been there

tod
08-14-2005, 09:35 PM
The tod Family went to teh Hollywood Bowl last night and I saw the sign on the hills behind the bandshell:

DisneyDustin22
08-14-2005, 10:13 PM
another pic from up close to the hollywood sign. its perfectly legal and the only signs are warnings against hiking up the mountain. this location is at the end of a residential road at the beginning of a jogging trail.