PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa cardmember special stuff [merged]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

truesally
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Has anyone gone to the exclusive Character Meet 'n Greet available to cardmembers? Wondering if it's crazy, since it's only for a few hours, and worth the wait. And will it be going on in the fall (mid November)? The plan will be to have my two kids & friend's three kids get a picture together but that's a lot of wiggles in one place for very long :eek:

Also, wondering if the "Discover the Magic" tour is worth the cost ($49 each) & time (3 hrs)? As a cardholder I'll get 10% off but still...And we would be deciding whether to go with all 5 kids (4 boys, 1 girl) or just my daughter when the boys go to Legoland for the day...I'm leaning toward the latter, not only to save money but because of those possible wiggles turning into crazies. ;) And when/how often do they do this tour (and again, any idea of the fall schedule)?

Thanks for any input.

experiment626
08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Just the opposite. We walked right in (after showing our VISA to the door person).

I have heard that others have gotten Capt'n Mickey and Goofy. We got Chip and Dale.

Klutch
08-11-2005, 07:08 PM
I've yet to see anything worthwhile available "exclusively to Disney VISA Cardholders". The character meet sounds nice, but my kids are college age. :)

Seriously, I am pretty disappointed. The interest rate on the Disney VISA is pretty high. Therefore, someone is raking in some serious cash. Offering a tiny percentage off of very overpriced, low-quality merchandise doesn't impress me.

Earning Disney points is nice, but that percentage is oh-so-tiny.

experiment626
08-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Just don't carry a balance. Then you aren't paying anything.

I charge most everything (on my Disney Visa or Citibank Dividends) card. Earn the points or cash and pay off each month. I earned over $400 this way.

DopeyWife
08-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Just the opposite. We walked right in (after showing our VISA to the door person).

I have heard that others have gotten Capt'n Mickey and Goofy. We got Chip and Dale.

We walked right in too. We had Chip and Dale, and then we took another with Mickey, Goofy, and Donald and Minnie. They were really nice. I wonder if they will still have the Meet and Greet when it switches to Princesses.

PrincessMomma
08-11-2005, 07:41 PM
I just got a small booklet from my Disney Visa that says you get 20% off of the following tours (rather than 10%): Welcome to Disneyland, A Walk in Walt's Footsteps, Discover the magic, and From Imagination to Celebration. (From Imagination to Celebration is not listed on the Disney Visa Website as of right now ~ just one more to think about.) Just thought I'd let you know you get even more of a discount thant you had planned on!

AcuraTL
08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
What Meet and Greet? I have a Visa Disney and I was just at Disneyland in June and didn't know anything about this.

bassett1976
08-11-2005, 08:41 PM
My wife and I have gone twice. First time we saw Mickey and Goofy. Second time we go to see either Chip or Dale, not both. Never had to wait. In fact, both times the characters seemed a little bored and were wondering out of their area to waive to some kids. All you have to do is to show your card at the door and then the photographer gives you a ticket to redeem your free picture. Then you go to the counter and pick up your photo an hour or two later.

truesally
08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
I just got a small booklet from my Disney Visa that says you get 20% off of the following tours (rather than 10%): Welcome to Disneyland, A Walk in Walt's Footsteps, Discover the magic, and From Imagination to Celebration. (From Imagination to Celebration is not listed on the Disney Visa Website as of right now ~ just one more to think about.) Just thought I'd let you know you get even more of a discount thant you had planned on!
You're so right, thanks - I was mistaken, and that will take a big chunk off the cost. Do you know if the tour is worth the time & money? We're looking specifically at Discover the Magic because it sounds more interactive.

I charge most everything (on my Disney Visa or Citibank Dividends) card. Earn the points or cash and pay off each month. I earned over $400 this way.
This is what we do, also - all of our monthly direct pay stuff like the gym, phone bill, donations, Internet service + *a little* shopping ;) go on it; we pay it off each month and have earned $220 in rewards without getting near the outrageous charges. And our kids are young enough to enjoy the little freebies/specials we get.

A question about those rewards, to those in the know - can they be redeemed at restaurants in the park? I can't seem to find this answer (I just reordered the Rule Book and will peruse it before we go on our trip).

Thanks for all the input!

bassett1976
08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
A question about those rewards, to those in the know - can they be redeemed at restaurants in the park? I can't seem to find this answer (I just reordered the Rule Book and will peruse it before we go on our trip).

My wife and I just used our rewards on our trip to WDW last week. She ordered the rewards card a long time ago. We have been transfering our points over to the card when we could. The rewards card is then like a gift certificate. You basically use it when you want to spend the reward dollars. We used it to pay for our hotel at the AKL. The money was deducted from our bill and then we used the DisneyVisa to pay for the remainder of the balance. So, it should work the same way for you inside of the park or restaurants.

Hope this helps.

Leash81
08-11-2005, 09:56 PM

This is what I am going to do. I am planning on having my honeymoon at Disney World next year so I figure I will use the card to pay for everything in the meantime and rake in the rewards but I will pay the card off every month to avoid intrest charges.

Mark Goldhaber
08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Note: The Discover the Magic tour at Disneyland is given on Friday and Saturday only, and sells out very quickly. I discovered this when I went to book a tour for the Thursday or Friday of our upcoming trip, and was told the bad news. It would've been nice if that information was posted on the web site where they describe the tour! Yeah, I'm ticked off about this. :mad:

cstephens
08-12-2005, 04:34 AM
I've yet to see anything worthwhile available "exclusively to Disney VISA Cardholders". The character meet sounds nice, but my kids are college age. :)

Who says you have to be a kid to do a character meet? ;) I don't have any kids so it doesn't pertain to me, but I think the free strollers thing is a pretty good deal.

The interest rate on the Disney VISA is pretty high. Therefore, someone is raking in some serious cash.

I don't even know what the interest rate is. They're not making any money off me - we pay off our bill at the end of every month. That's the way to screw the credit card companies! :~D

Earning Disney points is nice, but that percentage is oh-so-tiny.

That's the best part of the program for me and why we've switched to using the Disney Visa for most of our purchases. Previously, we were using a visa that has rewards at Waldenbooks/Brentanos/Borders, so we got a ton of books and videos (once Borders bought Waldenbooks) for free, including the nice box set of "Return of the King" with the nifty sculptures. I never thought I'd say this, but we actually don't need many more books, and once we discovered the Disney rewards thing, we switched over. We don't spend more than we normally do - we just try to put as much as possible on the card. We've gotten lots of free lunches and dinners at the resort, so that works out perfectly for us.

I just got a small booklet from my Disney Visa that says you get 20% off of the following tours (rather than 10%): Welcome to Disneyland, A Walk in Walt's Footsteps, Discover the magic, and From Imagination to Celebration. (From Imagination to Celebration is not listed on the Disney Visa Website as of right now ~ just one more to think about.)

Funny thing - in the Disney Rewards magazine we just got, the 50th tour isn't listed as part of the discount, but in the e-ticket coupon book we got last week, the tour is listed as part of the discount group. I was really happy to hear about the tour discount because we'd been planning to do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour again this year, so we're booking now with the extra discount.

truesally - We've used our rewards card at the bakery on Main Street, Rancho del Zocalo, Pacific Wharf Cafe, and Whitewater, among other restaurants. Love it!

kimc0486
08-12-2005, 08:11 AM
but in the e-ticket coupon book we got last week, the tour is listed as part of the discount group.

Did you get this from the credit card company?

Also, has anyone called and been able to order a blank card with no points and then transfer over later when you have enough?

Thanks!

jrsharp21
08-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Has anyone called to change their regular red card to the 50th anniversary style card?

kimc0486
08-12-2005, 08:22 AM
No, I was wondering if you could do that though.

I also forgot, can you get the character meet n greet picture everyday if you wanted? Does it come in like a folder cardboard frame thing? thanks

jrsharp21
08-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I got a mailer saying to call in to get your card switched if you wanted. I never tried. Wondering if you could still do it.

Also another good tip for earning points is use the Disney Visa as your gas card. With the cost of gas these days it shouldn't take long to rack up points. I am shutting down my Shell card to use my Disney Visa from now on.

Gone2Disneyland
08-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Has anyone called to change their regular red card to the 50th anniversary style card?

I did, within days of getting the letter offering the switch. This was probably early last month sometime...? Anyway, I called and received the blue and yellow 50th anniversary design within a couple of weeks.

There may be an online option for requesting the switch. I learned from these boards about logging onto my account at www.chase.com/disney and all the stuff you can do there, particularly ordering and adding points to the rewards card thru there. Haven't done it yet, but I think that's how I'll do it when I do.

Klutch
08-12-2005, 09:42 AM
but in the e-ticket coupon book we got last week, the tour is listed as part of the discount group.

Did you get this from the credit card company?

Also, has anyone called and been able to order a blank card with no points and then transfer over later when you have enough?

Thanks!

I don't know if there's a minimum for getting a card. I transferred 40 points by calling and they sent me a card. Be advised; once you transfer points to a card, the points have an expiration date. I have to use my 40 points before December or they go away. (I forgot to use the card when I was at WDW. Duh!)

I've seen conflicting information with points before they are transferred to a card. My statement tells me they expire in 2009. The most recent issue of the cardmember benefits magazine indicates the points never expire. :confused:

bassett1976
08-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't know if there's a minimum for getting a card. I transferred 40 points by calling and they sent me a card.

The minimum to transfer reward points is 10. You might need more to get a card to start but you can transfer points at any time as long as you transfer a minimum of 10 points per time.

mraw
08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
The minimum to transfer reward points is 10. You might need more to get a card to start but you can transfer points at any time as long as you transfer a minimum of 10 points per time.

I just called today and they told me that the minimum was 20 points to get a card.

truesally
08-12-2005, 12:14 PM
To order a brand new empty card, the minimum is 20 pts. If you're transferring to an existing card, the minimum is 10 pts.

The latest I read in the Rule Book (and it's truly a book...) is the reward points "waiting to be transferred" will go away 5 years after they were earned. Those transferred to the rewards card will expire December 31, the year after you moved them. So if you transferred points today, they would expire Dec. 31 of 2006.

I'm a braniac on all of these details but still worried about which places in the parks & downtown Disney will accept the rewards card...Thanks to cstephens I know a handful of restaurants will take it (*whew*) but would like a comprehensive yes & no list. Can anyone tell I'm a bit of a control freak? :rolleyes: I just want it the way I want it! :)

experiment626
08-12-2005, 12:22 PM
I have the anniversary (castle card) I ordered it as soon as they came out. I love it. I find it prettier (nicer) then the old red "pixie dust" card.

As for the rewards. The untransfered ones expire on the date on your statement. Transferred ones expire the December the year after you transfer them. I transferred in June, my cards expire Dec 06. The untransferred ones expire in 2009.

MickeyandMe
08-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I believe that all the Disney restaurants will take the Rewards card. Any Disney register that takes a credit card should be able to take the Rewards card. In Downtown Disney you can use them at Marceline's and World of Disney. All the Disney Resort Hotel restaurants and gift shops should also take the Rewards card.

jrsharp21
08-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Anyone know if they are still allowing you to change your card to the 50th? I need to do this but I forgot all about it.