PDA

View Full Version : If you could only buy one souvenir

potterphreak
08-10-2005, 02:40 PM
at DL, what would it be? No more than $50. I am just sooooooooooooo tired of my DD using her spending money on a million little things and we never know where they end up once we get home. Any suggestions? Things that are worth it? Thanks in advance!

Little tod
08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
I'd definitely buy the gold 50th ears. Embroidery is free, and although they're not particularly rare, they are especially cool. And you can take the rest of your $50 and buy piddly things.

hlbtimes2
08-10-2005, 02:45 PM
If I was 6 and could only buy one thing? HMMMM, probably something like a bear at build a bear, while my parents explained to me that I could get that at home.

Just my opinion, but she's 6- let her buy a million things if she can get that with a set amount of money. If he makes her happy to have a bunch of little cheap items thats all that matters. If you really insist on getting just one thing, I would say either something like a jacket that will get lots of use or a pretty collectible for her room.

My goal for our upcoming trip is to let the kids decide what "is worth it" to them. Not whats worth it for me. I want them to have fun and have memories of buying something they really want.

CoasterChickie
08-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Easy...more pins, earrings, or toe rings!! :D

disneyrand
08-10-2005, 03:37 PM
If I was 6 and could only buy one thing? HMMMM, probably something like a bear at build a bear, while my parents explained to me that I could get that at home.

Just my opinion, but she's 6- let her buy a million things if she can get that with a set amount of money. If he makes her happy to have a bunch of little cheap items thats all that matters. If you really insist on getting just one thing, I would say either something like a jacket that will get lots of use or a pretty collectible for her room.

My goal for our upcoming trip is to let the kids decide what "is worth it" to them. Not whats worth it for me. I want them to have fun and have memories of buying something they really want.

I'm doing the same this year with my kids. We took them in 2003 and I gave them each a $100.00 spending limit. Yet, I vetoed a couple of items that I didn't think were "worth it". It was nightmare trying to keep track of who spent what and who had $X.00 left to spend. So I sat down with them last night and told them "I'm going to give you each $100 to spend at the park. You can spend it in any way that you want to spend it. I don't care. But, you're in charge of your own money. I'm not carrying it for you, I'm not going to babysit what you buy or your bag after you have bought it. When your money is gone, it's gone. If you lose your money, tough luck. If you lose your items that you bought, tough luck." My kids are getting older now and this is a bit of a big responsibilty to them. Two are 12 and one is 10. They take care of their own cash at home (never more than about $30.00), so I'm going to trust them to tend to their own business on vacation. I talk a tough game, now, but we'll get to the park and after every ride I'll be badgering them after every ride. "Does everyone have their wallet/purse?", "Count your money, make sure it's all there." LOL.

DR

EeyoreAdorer
08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
We just came back from our trip and they have the cuuutest things for little girls!!

Definitely the gold mouse ears and the Tinkerbell light up straw (I bought one for me and my DD); they also have a Princess wand that lights up and cute little purses and back packs with the disney characters on them a la Sanrio style.

I bought a few things for my granddaughter there :)

truesally
08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I've mentioned before this idea posted by someone else last year - it's probably the best tip I got for peace between kids & grown-ups.

Each child had a small zippered pouch into which we put a note pad & pen. We left their money in the hotel safe until the designated shopping day (our last at the park). Every other day we were at DL & DCA they made notes of which souvenirs they loved, the cost & store. The night before Shopping Day, they looked over their lists (agonized, in the case of my son who had less $ and more items than his sister...) and decided what they would get the next day.

This was a dream for so many reasons:
There was no impulse buying during our days - just rampant enjoyment of the parks
No wheedling or cries of "NO FAIR" - parents agreed to buy reasonable snacks (no candy), hat or ears for embroidering & name badges (before the last day ~ a bonus!), and books (plus grandparents bought Build-A-Bears & outrageous mylar balloons...)
The kids were completely in charge when it came to choosing their souvenirs and felt good about having seen everything available before making decisions

Thank you thank you thank you again to whomever I stole this idea from. By the way, my kids were 5 & 3 at the time and accepted this scenario without grief - whenever there was a wishful plea to override the system, we (the grown-ups, the ones in charge...) could say simply "Wednesday is our shopping day; we didn't bring souvenir money today; let's write it down." By the third time I said this robotically, it was boring to bother asking anymore :) Having taught middle & high schoolers, I imagine it would work fine for them too, with a little advance warning and perhaps more exaggerated robot-voice ;)

Enjoy!

truesally
08-10-2005, 04:19 PM
But your original question asked about the best souvenirs...

I was impressed with my kids' choices last year - my son got a "pirate kit" complete with sword, eye patch, & parrot that straps to a tiny wrist (about $15) and a yield sign with goofy on it, very cute (only $5, it's pretty good-sized). The best my daughter chose, with her wad of cash, would be the absolutely darling Tinkerbell mini bowling-style bag that says "Spoiled" for $18 (I wanted one too!), the Princess Minnie hat (tall pink sparkly princess-style hat with a draping pink scarf & mouse ears attached, $18), and a set of Nightmare Before Christmas buttons (6 for $5).

I would definitely go for the stuff you haven't seen at any of the Disney stores (or Sears or Mervyn's for that matter - they have a lot of cute Disney-themed clothes & bags).

Since we buy the hats, I'll heavily recommend the gold ears this year :) Maybe I'll get some for myself, too!

By the way, wanted to say "You go, disneyrand" for the toughlove approach with your preteens; if more of my students had parents like you with an encouraging & empowering attitude, my job would be a tad easier...Since my kids are still little I'm more inclined to keep an eye on their wallets (though like I said, the money stays at the hotel until the last day) and give gentle suggestions ("We can get a sucker for less than $7 at the store when we go home..."). But I definitely want them to make the final decisions and live with them ;)

potzbie
08-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Specifically, for me, I would buy a leather jacket or fleece warm up jacket, because I would use it regularly, and could wear it anywear.
(You spend $50, you better wear that thing more than twice a year!)

But something that I would buy for fun, or for memories, I'd say night clothes (pajamas).
I am leaning toward an oversized baseball jersey, since I do not care for traditional PJs.
I have seen those sweatshirts that show GRUMPY and the caption reads something about "no coffee", in the big store, WORLD OF DISNEY, so they beat me to the idea.

pisces
08-10-2005, 07:20 PM
I just want stuff from the GCH room. I would buy the GC shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion. Then I'd buy the shower curtain, and bed spread. I'd love to have that Snow White painting, with the beautiful frame. ---The wicker basket.

Actually, the robe----I could do without. That robe wasn't very subtle and felt too much like a uniform, with the logo splashed on the front.

But, everything else.....especially the chocolates.

Why on earth doesn't GC make their room furnishings available for sale, the way all other hotels do?

Shortiemetoo
08-10-2005, 11:04 PM
I would buy pins....lol (and of course anyone who knows me would be completely shocked by that statement.....NOT!!) :D
but when my girls were younger they always wanted an autograph book and a special pen of some kind...in fact my daughter was talking just today about how much she loved having that when she was young!!! :D

ktgd03
08-10-2005, 11:06 PM
I would buy, and actually did on my last DL trip, the Nightmare B4 Christmas Sweatshirt (the one with the zipper; not the pull-over) that features a sinisterly grinning Jack's head. Very cozy inside and happy to have when it got cold outside and the family and I were watching the fireworks shows. :fez:

Disney4Me
08-10-2005, 11:28 PM
at DL, what would it be? No more than $50. I am just sooooooooooooo tired of my DD using her spending money on a million little things and we never know where they end up once we get home. Any suggestions? Things that are worth it? Thanks in advance!

This won't help much but my son was giggling as he looked through the old Disney Photo Album tonight. (I will scan some of the pictures in some time). When we were last down he wanted all the silly hats and lots of stuff from Indianna store. I took silly pictures of him wearing the goofy hats and that kept him at bay for buying them all. I liked some of the suggestions on the board but I also know that even if it is goofy trinkets to us adults and gets lost..they keep the memories of getting it. On the other hand kids love cameras and maybe she would be into getting a disposable and taking her own shots to remember Disneyland?

ktgd03
08-11-2005, 12:53 AM
On the other hand kids love cameras and maybe she would be into getting a disposable and taking her own shots to remember Disneyland?

That sounds like a good idea. I brought my digital camera and deleted some of the pictures that were a bit repetative (I only need 1 or 2 pictures of the Castle: Not 100 LOL) :p

Ntink
08-11-2005, 12:54 AM
For a 6 yr. old girl? Go to World of Disney and let her choose a laser inscribed hunk of glass - I just got one that says Disneyland 50 with Tink flying. It's beautiful and if you get a lighted base it really shows it off! She could have that forever and never get tired of it!

yellowrosedtxn
08-11-2005, 04:45 AM
But, you're in charge of your own money. I'm not carrying it for you, I'm not going to babysit what you buy or your bag after you have bought it.

DR

I had a wallet for each of the kids when we went this summer and it got to be a pain in the butt carrying their wallets. I had some zip lock bags and I put their money (with their name on it) into my backpack and I carried it that way. Made things easier to keep track of their money. Just an idea.

cwhit45
08-11-2005, 07:37 AM
I would have to get the classic DL t-shirts!

losaitkens
08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
There are actually a lot of things that are worth it that don't cost much money. From our various trips, some of my 5 year old daughter's favorites ( things she has not forgotten about and is still enjoying now that we are home) were:

1.Giant paper foldout map of the Disneyland Park w/ 50th logo -$5, various locations. We got ours at Star Traders.

She has this hanging next to her bed and talks about all the places we went and points them out on her map. I had a similar map when I was a little girl and had it hanging up in my room so this item was a bit nostalgic for me. They also have one of DCA that we did not get.

2. Golden mouse ears- Various locations
Just a must as others have said. They are under $20.

3. Pressed Pennies/ 50th Pressed Penny Holder- (holder $6/ Pennies $.51 ea). Various locations but lots on Main Street in Crystal Arcade.

My daughter loves collecting these though disney seems to be moving to the pressed quarter route. The holder has spaces for the pressed pennies and a few bigger spots for pressed quarters etc. There is a series called "Magical Milestones" that commemorates each of the 50 years of Disneyland and there is a website somewhere that lists the location of all of these machines.

4. Colored "river" rocks from store outside GRR- $5 for as much as you can fit in a small sack.

These are really pretty rocks and much nicer than the plastic gemstones available at the princess shoppe and World of Disney for $6 a bag. She just loves these treasures and keeps them in her princess jewelry box we got her on her last trip . Which brings me to...

5. Princess Jewelry Box- $15 -Available at the Princess Shop in Fantasyland and World of Disney

If you have a little girl who likes princess things, this is money well spent. My daughter LOVES this item and has had it for two years. Everytime little girls come to her house they love to look at and play with this jewelry box. On our last trip we brought two home for birthday presents for her friends and they were a huge hit.

Hope these help. I just realized you asked for ONE souveneir so consider this a list of options. My problem is I often think everything we see is worth it! ;) My own personal favorite things were the Disneyland 50th Scrapbook I bought last trip and the 50th ornament I found at the Christmas Shop.

Best of luck,
Nicole

Hawaiian Cinderella
08-11-2005, 02:44 PM
For a 6 yr. old girl? Go to World of Disney and let her choose a laser inscribed hunk of glass - I just got one that says Disneyland 50 with Tink flying. It's beautiful and if you get a lighted base it really shows it off! She could have that forever and never get tired of it!

How much does that run??? sounds interesting.

TowerofTerror
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
The big crystal castle in the crystal store if i had that type of money that what one item I would get at the park

minniemom
08-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I am with you on only letting your child buy one thing and setting a spending limit for that one thing. We go every fall and always have the strict rule that we do not buy souveners until the last day. Then on our last day we take the kids to the world of disney store and let them pick out one thing. This gives them however many days you are there to figure out what the perfect souvener would be for them.

I have learned from past experience that barbies just blend in with all the other 100 million my daughters already have, clothes either get stained or grown out of. My point with this is that save your money don't feel bad if you cut back from the fifty. This last year we were a little more picky about what the girls picked and every one was still happy with thier choices. My 6 year old started a charm braclet. She still has it and everytime we buy a new charm she talks about her first charms she got at DL. Another favorite of my 4 year old is stufted animals. Each year she gets her favorite character and they are all on her bed and she choose one to cuddle with every night. Just a thought on how we do it and it seems to work well.

Side note that this year along with the one sovener we are doing the gold ears. In the park they might not be rare, but honestly they are rare at home!!!