PDA

View Full Version : California Fall Break?

DrewR
08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
We are thinking of making another trip out to DLR this fall (We were out in June). In considering dates to come, we realized we don't know if California schools have a fall break and if they do, when it occurs. Would one of you CA residents please help us out??

allye
08-10-2005, 09:53 AM
My Son is 9 years old, We live in San Diego He goes a year around school. Their first Break is September 19 -October 10. In San Diego We also have middle & high school on this year around system. We have a couple school districts & their year around break are usually 2 weeks to 3 weeks after ours. We will be at DL in the end on September. In past when we went during these breaks the crowds are fine. But reading the previous Thread I'm sure it will be crowded this year.
Allye

nsaul1211
08-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Well I can tell you the only break here in CA for school (excluding year rounders which aren't very prevelant in OC) is Christmas break which you do not want to go to, trust me I made the mistake.

The only days off are the normal holidays that every school takes off.

Unless they've changed policy in the 6 years it's been since I've been in public school :)

DrewR
08-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks, I went to part of high school in Rolling Hills but I couldn't remember if we had a fall break or not!! (We are NOT talking about how long ago that was!!) We are toying with mid Oct or the first week of Dec. Any suggestions??

The old man
08-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Our daughter's grade school-last two weeks of Oct.

adriennek
08-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I went to part of high school in Rolling Hills but I couldn't remember if we had a fall break or not!! (We are NOT talking about how long ago that was!!) We are toying with mid Oct or the first week of Dec. Any suggestions??

Oh, let's talk about how long ago that was, please? (RHHS, Class of 1988)

And actually, Year Round Schools are a lot more prevalent in the areas surrounding OC than some may realize. Riverside and Los Angeles counties border OC and Anaheim is quite local to those communities which have many year round schools...

Tracks with September and October off are the least popular tracks. The most popular tracks have December off and the second most popular November.

Adrienne

DrewR
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Ok Adrienne!! I would have graduated from RHHS in 1984 if we had stayed in Los Angeles. I attended RHHS from fall 1980 through spring 1982. (My dad was in the Air Force and was reassigned to New Mexico in July of 1982.)

To get back on topic, we were considering the first week of Dec because our experience in the past was that there were less people then. The flip side is that it is colder and wetter! (BIG deals considering we live in a desert!) We were considering mid Oct because was a compromise.

Oh, and a note to the curious. New Mexico schools started today and we get a fall break after Columbus Day...

Disneyfun
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Oh, let's talk about how long ago that was, please? (RHHS, Class of 1988)

And actually, Year Round Schools are a lot more prevalent in the areas surrounding OC than some may realize. Riverside and Los Angeles counties border OC and Anaheim is quite local to those communities which have many year round schools...

Tracks with September and October off are the least popular tracks. The most popular tracks have December off and the second most popular November.

Adrienne
THere are many Schools in Orange county that are year round which means every month one third of the school district has off. I know many people contribute Disneyland now long having an off season to annual passholders. And while that is probably true I bet many of those annual pass holders that come during the Fall months are from schools that are year round.
When I taught in the local year round school. I would go to Disneyland Afterwork and during my months off!

adriennek
08-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Ok Adrienne!! I would have graduated from RHHS in 1984 if we had stayed in Los Angeles. I attended RHHS from fall 1980 through spring 1982. (My dad was in the Air Force and was reassigned to New Mexico in July of 1982.)

Oh, how funny, we would've just missed each other. I was at Rancho Vista and Dapplegray those years... And now RHHS is renamed PVPHS and...ugh, don't get me started on the politics of PVPUSD. But it's very fun to have a connection. You're not too old to mention. ;)

Adrienne

DrewR
08-10-2005, 10:43 AM
That is funny!! I went to Ridgecrest the year before. I discovered what had happened to the school in 1992 when my wife and I went out to Disneyland and Southern CA. Needless to say I was shocked!!

adriennek
08-10-2005, 11:06 AM
That is funny!! I went to Ridgecrest the year before. I discovered what had happened to the school in 1992 when my wife and I went out to Disneyland and Southern CA. Needless to say I was shocked!!

I swear, I'll stop after this...

It gets better, Drew-- after all the drama, in the past few years or so, they reopened PVHS. :|

Adrienne

DrewR
08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Whoa!!!!!!

masilly1
08-14-2005, 06:08 PM
There are a lot of schools in CA that have gone to the year round schedule. My kids are on a year round schedule and there are 4 tracks of kids with 200-400 kids per track. They rotate through the entire year. EVERY month there is a track of kids off. They are in school for 3 months and then off for 1 month ALL YEAR LONG. My kids will be off the entire month of November. Our neighbors kids will be off the whole month of October and my daughter's best friend will be off the entire month of September.
I can tell you that the tracks that are off in September and October have less kids on them then the ones that are off in November and December in our district.
We have been to DL in September, October and November and there were no crowds at all. We usually go Tuesday-Thursday and by Thursday evening it starts to get a little more crowded.
We avoid the park at all costs July and August (LOL!!)

nickbrown2k2
08-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Elementary schools around here are mostly year-round. So, you're talking only about a small portion off-track at a time in October. And out of that portion, how many are really going to Disneyland?

Also, high schools in the Riverside county area are generally not year round. Therefore, they do not have a small break until Thanksgiving.

mckygirl99
08-14-2005, 06:27 PM
I teach in Anaheim and am Off-track in November and it's one of the best months to go!! No one is there during the week and you can enjoy the holiday decorations without the huge crowds. Just started back and already counting down till November!

h_lehmann
08-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Many schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District are on a year-round three-track schedule. At any given time two-thirds of the students are in school, and the one third is on break. Those schools running entirely on the traditional schedule (September through June) don't have a 'fall break'. Pretty much all schools, however, take the usual days off such as Veterans Day and two days for Thanksgiving. All students are off for the two weeks or so of Christmas/New Years

uvsc_wolverine
08-14-2005, 09:48 PM
You may be interested to know that October 19-21 (the 21st is a Friday) is a holiday for ALL schools in Utah. Every state-run school gets those days off and LOTS of people from Utah will be going to DL. However, I went last year during this same period and it was an extremely pleasant time to be there. It wasn't too cold or too hot, and the crowds were still quite pleasant - the longest wait I had for Indy was about 20-30 minutes. Although, considering that this is the 50th anniversary it may be more crowded.

All I know is that I'll be calling my roommates and making fun of them while I'm at DL in October. They go to a private college (Brigham Young University - it's owned by the LDS Church) and they don't get that break, while I go to Utah Valley State College (hence my name on the board - uvsc_wolverine) and I'll be leaving a day before the break (no classes Tuesday and Thursday this semester!). So NYAH NYAH NYAH to Adam, Brad, Mike, Richard, and Chuckles (long story :D)!