PDA

View Full Version : Is Storyteller's as nice as on tv?

Poptart
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I want to plan a special birthday party for my son. I was just watching the Travel Channel and caught the tail end of Storyteller's Cafe. I've never been there but assumed that since its title is "Cafe" that it was casual like on the order of Carnation Cafe. On tv, it looked rather plush, with carpeting and nice woodworking and paintings on the walls. Is it really that nice? Is it nicer than Goofy's Kitchen if you've been there? Which one would you choose?

TIA!

tlovesdis
08-09-2005, 12:14 PM
It is very nice inside! Definatley not the same as Carnation Cafe! It follows the theme of the Grand Californian and has a great western theme to it. The decor is nicer than Goofy's, but it is a casual place.

Mrs. Newseditor44
08-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Personally, I like Storyteller's Cafe over Goofy's Kitchen. The food is much better.

lisap
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Depends on how old your son is, and how into the characters he is. If he's all about the characters, choose Goofy's (or Ariels in DCA, or whatever it's new name will be.) If he doesn't care so much, Storytellers has better food and better atmosphere.

CoasterChickie
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
If he doesn't care so much, Storytellers has better food and better atmosphere.

Especially the woodstove pizza you turned me on to....thanks again lisap!!!! :)

For $24 we were able to feed 8 of us!! :D

pisces
08-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I didn't think Storytellers was all that casual. From the extensive fireplaces, to the detailed chandelier, to the formal damask cloth napkins; there's certainly nothing casual about the high prices.

If at all possible, I'd do both Storytellers and Goofys. I'd do them both on separate days, for dinners.

markarkaymat
08-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Especially the woodstove pizza you turned me on to....thanks again lisap!!!! :)

For $24 we were able to feed 8 of us!! :D

Mind me asking....what woodstove pizza? I'd love a tip on how to save money eating at Disney...

CoasterChickie
08-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Mind me asking....what woodstove pizza? I'd love a tip on how to save money eating at Disney...

You can walk right up to the hostess desk and order food to go! :D

The woodstove pizzas come with whatever toppings you like on them and are delicious!! cost=$12.00

They have about 8 medium size slices so they can easily feed four people but may not fill you up unless you order a dinner salad too. Or you can just do like we did and leave room for dessert from the Candy Palace!! :)

markarkaymat
08-09-2005, 02:09 PM
You can walk right up to the hostess desk and order food to go! :D

The woodstove pizzas come with whatever toppings you like on them and are delicious!! cost=$12.00

They have about 8 medium size slices so they can easily feed four people but may not fill you up unless you order a dinner salad too. Or you can just do like we did and leave room for dessert from the Candy Palace!! :)
Thanks a bunch!!! :D

08-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I forgot to tell you ....

Storytellers has to be inspired by The Chuckwagon at Colter Bay, Grand Teton National Park.

Shortiemetoo
08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Love the avator Coaster Chickie, as well as the tip about good pizza!! Thanks!! :D

Smeecanada
08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Storytellers is really nice but not that nice that you feel out of place in your tshirt and shorts. It is a nice quiet break from the parks yet still Disney.

For a birthday celebration though I would go to Goofy's. More hype and atmosphere.

We will be there in a few weeks and will probably go to both Goofy's and Storytellers.

tod
08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I want to plan a special birthday party for my son. I was just watching the Travel Channel and caught the tail end of Storyteller's Cafe. I've never been there but assumed that since its title is "Cafe" that it was casual like on the order of Carnation Cafe. On tv, it looked rather plush, with carpeting and nice woodworking and paintings on the walls. Is it really that nice? Is it nicer than Goofy's Kitchen if you've been there? Which one would you choose?

TIA!

It's nice, but it's casual, everybody's welcome, every guest is a VIP, bla bla bla you know the drill. If you dress for a cocktail party you'll feel like an idiot next to the guy with his gut peeking out from under his "I'm with Goofy" T-shirt.

It's a "dining" place as opposed to a "fast food" place. The meals are served by waiters/waitresses, and they bring you bread (do NOT miss the corn muffins, yum) and butter, it's a step up from Denny's.

As far as Goofy's Kitchen -- it's quite different. If you want all you can eat amid general hullabaloo, Goofy's is the place for you. (And I'm not knocking it, if you wanted quiet and placid you'd be asking where to eat in Yosemite.) If you want to dine, go for Storyteller's.

--t

Disney Debbie
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I have had two parties there one for our son's 21st birthday and the other for his graduation from college. We have about 25 people at each party and it was really great. They can have a cake made for you, which I did both times. They allowed us to put up balloons tied to chairs and hang decorations around.

I went there last year for dinner for my birthday with 7 seven people and I will be having Chip and Dale breakfast this September for my birthday.

We have never been disappointed in the food. The guest really raved about the chicken entree with mashed potates.

Hope this helps you.

cakimmy
08-13-2005, 09:53 AM
The food was really good. I went in April with my mom, grandma, aunt and two daughters. We all enjoyed our food. If the kids order pizza then they will ask if you want the chef to make it or they will bring the stuff out to the table to let the kids make it and then take it back to bake it. We also mentioned that it was my daughters bday (she turned 3) and they brought out a mickey mouse mousse with m&m type candy on it. Here is what it looked liked:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/cakimmy/Photos/IMG_0883.jpg

KarenW2
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
If you ask us, Storyteller's is the best deal for the money in the DLR. We've eaten there at all three meals and have never been disappointed!

If you have breakfast there, be sure to try their banana-stuffed French Toast! It's the closest thing to Tonga Toast at the Poly in WDW! Lunch and dinner have nearly the same menu. Entree salads are huge, and I especially enjoy their "Build-it-yourself" pizza, tho the only ones who actually get to build it themselves are kids! Adults only get to tell the server what they'd like on their pizza. I don't see why they couldn't bring the same set-up out for the adults, if they requested it.

Also, be sure to try their Raspberry Lemonade. It's amazing! Especially good after a long, hard day walking around the parks!

We've never been to Goofy's, so I can't give you an opinion on that. Whenever we've been past it, it's always been really loud and chaotic and that doesn't make for an enjoyable meal to me.

Hope you have a great time!