PDA

View Full Version : Knott's in the rain

Pages : [1] 2

justagrrl
02-17-2002, 07:16 AM
Yeah - I know it's the wrong place for this - but you guys will never see it over there and it's a really quick question for ya...so I hope you don't mind (too much) ;)

Knott's Berry Farm in the rain - what closes?

I'm guessing it's less crowded of course... The main issue is the rain and how that affects the roller coasters.

DH called their line this morning and it says Perilous Plunge and Boomerrang are closed - but we were unsure if that was a normal closure and not due to the rain - and if more rides would be closed but just not listed on their recording.

Any thoughts?

all4thx
02-17-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Yeah - I know it's the wrong place for this - but you guys will never see it over there and it's a really quick question for ya...so I hope you don't mind (too much) ;)

Knott's Berry Farm in the rain - what closes?

I'm guessing it's less crowded of course... The main issue is the rain and how that affects the roller coasters.

DH called their line this morning and it says Perilous Plunge and Boomerrang are closed - but we were unsure if that was a normal closure and not due to the rain - and if more rides would be closed but just not listed on their recording.

Any thoughts?

GhostRider closes in the rain. If the rain is heavy then almost all of the rides close, especially the roller coasters. It depends on how busy the park is.

Rides that tend to stay open are the Timber Mountain Log Ride, Calico Mine Ride, Bigfoot Rapids, Wheeler Dealer Bumber Cars, Train and a few others.

justagrrl
02-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks for your quick response. That's sort of what I figured.

They (dh and dd) decided to go anyway and just called. Said there are more employee's then people at the park. Poor Knott's. But they are having a good time anyway.

Durliin
02-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Sometimes in the Rain if attendance is low such as a weekday in February the park just closes all together... Seen it happen many of times

justagrrl
02-17-2002, 03:19 PM
Glad to report that they are still having fun at Knott's. Turns out that everything was open. The rain was just this morning and everything dried out quickly. Not a soul at the park - dh says that they are frequently the only one on the rides - and get to ride again without getting out if they'd like.

They are in heaven! And it's nice to have a daddy/daughter day for them. By noon they had pretty much riden everything twice, where going to have lunch, and then start again!

Poor Knott's Berry Farm must really be losing money with it that slow on a holiday weekend...although it did rain so I guess that kept people away too.

MouseWife
02-17-2002, 05:53 PM
I don't understand, either, how they make it.

They give away so many tickets~ to the armed forces and to the police and such. Then, having a waterpark pass I always get free tickets.

I love Knott's. It makes me sad to see it slow. I have gone on a Friday during the summer, when, the day before at Disneyland we couldn't even GET on a ride, we just walked on there. In the afternoons it seems to get more busy.

Knott's has had a lot of misfortune. It also has a very old and wonderful history.

I wonder what 'the numbers' say?

tinkfreak
02-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Ok, since we're on Knotts I have a question, what is that monstrosity they had running instead of the regular train when I was there in Dec.? And where the heck is the regular trian?

all4thx
02-17-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by tinkfreak
Ok, since we're on Knotts I have a question, what is that monstrosity they had running instead of the regular train when I was there in Dec.? And where the heck is the regular trian?

It is called the Galloping Goose and I would not call it a monstrosity unless you want some "train geek" to rip you a new one. I am not one of them so I cannot explain the historical significance of the Galloping Goose.

What I can say is they run this instead of the regular train on weekdays during the off-season. The train is too costly to run on the slow weekdays during the winter. Also, what is the fun of riding on a huge train that is empty. I think it is nice to see Knott's keep the attraction open versus closed so the Galloping Goose is a welcome substitute in my opinion.

all4thx
02-17-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I don't understand, either, how they make it.

They give away so many tickets~ to the armed forces and to the police and such. Then, having a waterpark pass I always get free tickets.

I love Knott's. It makes me sad to see it slow. I have gone on a Friday during the summer, when, the day before at Disneyland we couldn't even GET on a ride, we just walked on there. In the afternoons it seems to get more busy.

Knott's has had a lot of misfortune. It also has a very old and wonderful history.

I wonder what 'the numbers' say?

Knott's Berry Farm had 3.6 million pass through the gates in 2001, which made it the 13th busiest park in North America. Some of you think that you need to have Disney size crowds to have a successful amusement park and you're wrong. Knott's is one of the more succesful parks in the US and a slow day because of bad weather is not going to kill the park. The rain today most certainly had a huge impact on attendance.

I think it is also important to point out the benefits of giving away free admission tickets. Free tickets create good will and when given to the military, firemen and police it is greatly appreciated. There is a lot of positive things that result from good will.

You need to also remember that these promotions are usually run during the slow season so they help bring people into the park that may not usually attend at the time of year. It increases attendance during slow periods, which also increases revenues. Too many people forget that these people spend money once inside thepark and often more than the average admission paying guest does since they did not pay anything to get into the park. Many feel as if they can afford to spend more since they did not pay to get in. So they load up on food, snacks and souvenirs.

socabch
02-18-2002, 08:03 AM
I prefered Knott's before the large Ohio company bought them out. It had a better atmosphere and was taken care of. Now most of the food is horrible. I put my hand in a condiment dish to get ketchup and every package was sticky with something. The lettuce and tomatoes on my burger were old. On and on. It seems to be heading towards a Six Flags type park. Yuck! Bring back the old Knott's.

The plus side is the lines aren't near as long as DLR and the employees are nice.

MouseWife
02-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by all4thx

Knott's Berry Farm had 3.6 million pass through the gates in 2001, which made it the 13th busiest park in North America. Some of you think that you need to have Disney size crowds to have a successful amusement park and you're wrong. Knott's is one of the more succesful parks in the US and a slow day because of bad weather is not going to kill the park. The rain today most certainly had a huge impact on attendance.

I think it is also important to point out the benefits of giving away free admission tickets. Free tickets create good will and when given to the military, firemen and police it is greatly appreciated. There is a lot of positive things that result from good will.

You need to also remember that these promotions are usually run during the slow season so they help bring people into the park that may not usually attend at the time of year. It increases attendance during slow periods, which also increases revenues. Too many people forget that these people spend money once inside thepark and often more than the average admission paying guest does since they did not pay anything to get into the park. Many feel as if they can afford to spend more since they did not pay to get in. So they load up on food, snacks and souvenirs.

I am very proud that Knott's does give away tickets and has such
offerings as Toys for Tots and a lot of other things. I do think it is a great idea as free tickets do bring in people who would not ordinarily have gone {I gave away tickets to 3 families who would not have gone. They did drop some cash there and got to experience it for the first time and see that their kids could enjoy it}. They are very generous.

Your numbers are what I wanted to see. I want to know that they are alright.

There is a lot to Knott's. My 8th grader did his final big report last year on Knott's. They have won a lot of awards.

I wish that we lived closer so that we could take advantage of their Educational Classes that they offer. Too far for this homeschool to go.

gautry
02-18-2002, 08:52 AM
somethings up with knotts
year the southerna vacation planner that the rat comp puts out every year to get poor unfornunatal souls to got to Disneys Crappy Adventure and other places list KBF as a free arttraction to kids 15 and under. Thats a nice way to boost attendence of the young gang banngers in KBF

MouseWife
02-18-2002, 09:08 AM
After 4p.m. the crowd does pick up.

disneynut
02-18-2002, 11:37 AM
Hmm..I wonder when this thread is going to get moved :D .....But in the meantime, I've always liked Knotts too. They have a great kid area and also some fun coasters...a little something for everyone. We always try to make it there once a year. There chicken dinners and boysenberry punch (ok the real reason I go) are to die for. I'm glad there numbers are good. It's got to be hard with dl 15 minutes away to compete.
We went to soak city with the kids last summer and had a ball. Even grandma and grandpa came and had a blast. I didn't even know that it existed until my motherinlaw asked us if we wanted to go. They should advertise more in no. cal about their stuff since a lot of no. cals head to dl for vacation.

MouseWife
02-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Isn't there also another Knott's water park? Not the Soak City in Chula Vista, but a different one?

disneynut
02-18-2002, 12:10 PM
You are talking to someone who knows nothing about so. cal citities. :( But I can tell you that the soak city we went to was right across the street from Knotts. I mean you parked in just about the same parking lot and everything. Is this Chula Vista?

MouseWife
02-18-2002, 12:17 PM
No, the one you went to was in Buena Park, if that is what you meant.

The one here in Chula Vista is Soak City, too, but I thought I'd heard of another one. Hmm.

Me, too. I am not too hip on S. CA attractions as well. I didn't realize there was more Disneyland and Knott's.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-18-2002, 01:19 PM
The Galloping Goose (actually geese, since [at least when they were in revenue service on the Rio Grande] there were more than one) is an early "railbus" that the Rio Grande shops apparently cobbled together out of spare parts, in order to provide passenger service (I think there was also one with a boxcar body, for freight service) when it simply wasn't economical to run a train. (Which is about the same purpose the one at Knotts still serves.) Similar in concept to a "doodlebug" or an "RDC," only narrow gauge, and somewhat more primitive.

And "tinkfreak," pleas consider yourself to have been "ripped a new one" by a "train geek" (who also happens to be a computer geek and a pipe organ geek, but not the sort of geek who eats small animals alive). :p

disneynut
02-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Does Knott's own all of the Soak City's or are they a franchise thing? (BTW MouseWife, where is Chula Vista? :D )

MouseWife
02-20-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by disneynut
Does Knott's own all of the Soak City's or are they a franchise thing? (BTW MouseWife, where is Chula Vista? :D )

LOL

Well, I believe all 'Soak City's' are owned by the corporation.

Something is just needling at me that there is a third one. In CA, not too far away from Buena Park. But, it isn't listed on their page. Where I heard it I don't know. One of those things, I guess.

Anywho, Chula Vista is way down south. It is hmm, the last 7 {?} exits before you get to Tijuana. I live at the 4th to the last exit.

disneynut
02-20-2002, 07:01 PM
I need to buy a map. I will eventually figure my way around so. cal. I promise. :) I knew I'd heard of Chula Vista.....

MouseWife
02-20-2002, 08:26 PM
disneynut~

Well, I think we are in the same boat!!!

I have no idea where Modesto is!

Or where half of the places are that are mentioned!

I know some places though. :)

marron-cream
02-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
Something is just needling at me that there is a third one. In CA, not too far away from Buena Park. But, it isn't listed on their page. Where I heard it I don't know. One of those things, I guess.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but I heard they're going to open one in Palm Springs. They're buying out some water park that already exists.

I like Knott's, especially Independence Hall. I wish they'd advertise that more, especially since it's free. It kills me to see the place deserted (at least when I go). It's a special thing and I fear that one day Cedar Point is going to decide it's a waste of space and tear it down.

I haven't been in the park in a while, but I get the chicken at least twice a month!

disneynut
02-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Hint for Modesto....
If you take a picture of Ca and fold it half vertically and horizontally, where those lines cross is where you will find Modesto. We live about 10 minutes from Ceres, CA which has the distinction of being the city located directly in the middle of CA. (it also has the distinction of being the home to a certain congressman who got Modesto on CNN but we won't go there.) So, if you look at it technically, I only live about 15 minutes from southern california myself. Pretty neat, huh? :D :cool:

MouseWife
02-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Wow, who'd a thunk that? Modesto in S. CA!! Do you qualify for the S. CA discounts when offered by Disneyland?

Yes marron-cream!

This very well may be the one that I have heard of!!! Ya know, I read so many sites and see so many ads I do tend to get confused.

I also agree that I am sad to see the Independence Hall empty. The people who work there are so nice, too. The information that can be obtained there. I think that it is often overlooked. The only way the I actually ever went there was when I went to the water park and we decided to go walking around. I saw it, knew what it was and went inside.

I love that Knott's offers so many educational opportunities. Inside the Ghost Town shops are hidden little museums and stuff. They might change, I don't know.

Does anyone know if the minature museum I have seen by the Wild West Extravaganza {dinner place, probably calling by the wrong name} is the same one that was on exhibit at Knott's at one time?

I guess I could go surf the net, I just never thought about that. :o