PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Anaheim Property Question

ErikMack
02-16-2002, 11:22 AM
I haven't made it to the California park in quite some time, but was doing a little research over at Mapquest. I ended up with the aerial photo that I can't seem to attach, and couldn't decide what property around Disneyland that Disney owns. Does anyone have any insight into this topic? I know the property for the third park is down the road, but I don't see any empty land. Plus, I know they own more property around the perimeter of the park. . . Help?!

MonorailMan
02-16-2002, 04:26 PM
There's a map on:

www.thirdthemepark.com

Enjoy! (It's a little old though!) :)

ErikMack
02-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Another question then: Does Disney own that hotel on the NorthWest corner of Katella and Harbor? And any other property across Harbor from Hollywood District or Tomorrowland? I had heard that they did. Thanks so much for the link above.

ErikMack
02-17-2002, 10:47 AM
I forgot to mention. In the aerial photo (which appears to have been taken when Millionaire was under construction), the land for the third park seems to be anything but empty. Has it since been cleared? Or does this photo only make it appear to have some structures on it?

MickeyD
02-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ErikMack
Another question then: Does Disney own that hotel on the NorthWest corner of Katella and Harbor?

I'm not really good with direction. Which hotel is that? The Desert Palm? The Portofino? To the best of my knowledge they don't own either one, if you're talking about one of those.

gautry
02-18-2002, 05:53 AM
or do you mean
the saga tony rommas dennys and ma resturant area

gautry
02-18-2002, 05:54 AM
the shell game on the boardwalk hosted by

Mr K Lay

coronamouseman
02-18-2002, 07:53 AM
Northwest corner of Harbor and Katella has a 7-Eleven store at the corner itself, a strip mall and a couple of motels moving northward on Harbor towards the main gate entrance for DL and some more motels moving westward from the corner on Katella towards the footpath entrance to DLR (used by overflow parking at Anaheim Convention Center during busiest times at DLR).

I believe that the Orange County Register had published an article some time ago regarding all of the property on that corner being under Disney's control if not outright ownership. Still, even if that property were not theirs one would think that it could be had at some price.

ErikMack
02-18-2002, 11:11 AM
I'd had this crazy idea, but I should be posting it under the RnR coaster topic. I had been wondering if Disney owned any property across the street from Hollywood. It could be an interesting tactic for them to build the queue building weaving behind the Hyperion, or maybe where Hollywood & Dine is located. Here's where it's a little blue sky. . .ok very blue sky. They could then run the launch either over Katella or under with the showbuilding directly across the street. This would keep the rest of the Timon lot open for expansion. Odd, I know.

gautry
02-18-2002, 02:18 PM
if would lokk to crappy and the good neightbor hotels would not got for it. Also the city of anaheim would own the roller coaster since it left disney property ie went over harbor west or katalla blvd.

The same concens holds true why rocket rods and the monrail would never leave the park since if it left the park that the city of anaheim would own the system.

Point of clarification the trams that used to cross west street were granted special persission in 1955 by the city of anaheim to cross west street

ErikMack
02-18-2002, 07:51 PM
That makes complete and total sense. I didn't even think of ownership rights. Wasn't there talk though of expanding the monorail to the third park property?

TerryTiger
02-22-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by gautry
if would lokk to crappy and the good neightbor hotels would not got for it. Also the city of anaheim would own the roller coaster since it left disney property ie went over harbor west or katalla blvd.

The same concens holds true why rocket rods and the monrail would never leave the park since if it left the park that the city of anaheim would own the system.

Point of clarification the trams that used to cross west street were granted special persission in 1955 by the city of anaheim to cross west street

if would lokk to... neightbor...got for it..katalla...concens...monrail...persission...

Please get this guy a spelling and grammar checker!!!

coronamouseman
02-24-2002, 05:56 AM
Well, Disney obviously owns the area where the old Grand Hotel used to be because they have a parking lot there now - but note that there is no transportation to the main gate because the city of Anaheim will not allow the standard Disney trams to cross Harbor Blvd.

The City of Anaheim did work with Disney to build underpasses on West Street for DTD and Paradise Pier Hotel and of course the Disneyland Hotel had run trams to and from Disneyland for years (with the special dispensations that have been noted in this thread). In addition, the monorail was allowed to run over West Street but only after it met with certain municipal requirements.

So it would not be out of the ordinary if Anaheim either helped Disney with transportation and/or space issues or blocked their efforts - it probably depends upon who the mayor is and what frame of mind the Anaheim City Council is in. Of course, liberal application of Disney cash may always pave the way to a compromise solution..........