PDA

View Full Version : PeopleMover

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfun
08-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Okay everyone I am sure I will be trashed for this post. But let me say I am in the bring back the people mover camp! Yet today I was listening to yet another pod cast and I got to thinking. Walt Disney built this park to forever change. Okay we get that. Yet we also do not want change we want some of the orginals.
But I got to thinking about tomorrowland. THis land was built orginally to represent 1986. :eek: WE are so far past 1986 now. And what has Tomorrow land become? A sub ride were we will see Nemo. Well that is just another theme dark ride not osmething from the future, Space mountain? well we now travel in space pretty regular. Buzz light year? Yet again a great use of technology but not something we will see in the future Or is it.
So I say We need to face it Tomorrow land is no longer tomorrow land. With the exception of inovations which does gives us some sneek peaks. But instead of 30 years a head it is more like two years ahead. (I remember when they first showed the portable DVD player for your car. NOw I see then in the back of many cars as I drive down the freeway. )
So MY whole point to this rambling is I think we need to let go of tomorrow land and have it become the land of inoventions or technology of today? And they should bring back the people mover as a way to see all the grat technology that they we have today.
By the way do you all remember the purpose of the people mover? It was supose to be something in the future we wouls all use to go through shops and get us around. Hince they reson it went through the stores and attractions.
My question is does anyone know If this waas to reopen would you still see inside what is now the Buzz ride and how about Space mountain? and Inovations? We will be able to see in there? That was one of the reasons I liked this ride was to see inside. It seems with the new improvements and changes in these rides that might be gone now. ANd with Space tours being redone will they get rid of that window too? What will be left to see if the people mover was to come back?
Just soem thought weighing on my mind. Thanks for listening/reading!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-07-2005, 01:28 PM
I am in the bring back the People Mover camp too. And I also agree with you, the fact is Tomorrowland has nothing to do with tomorrow. It is more about movement, space travel, sub travel, autopia, space men, etc. I give in to the fact that they do not have anything in that land that we can look forward to happening in our future.
I think your thought is a good idea. Bring back the People Mover so that we can see how far we have progressed. It just seems like such a waste of space to have that track sitting there. Although from what I hear, it has been damaged heavily and would take a lot of $ to repair.

Doug
08-07-2005, 01:30 PM
YES!!! BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER! Or at least a "modern" version of it... I guess it would have to be brown/bronze in color now.... but it was great.... wasn't it low maintanence? Looks like all the windows are still in place... even looks like there is a window into the Pizza Port.... can we start a petition?!!

Stinkersmell
08-07-2005, 01:46 PM
PLEASE bring back the PeopleMover...it was relaxing and a great way to regroup! :D

phoenixfire2k5
08-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Yes, they should bring it back. And, when I rode the monorail the other day, my assumption of the peoplemover track being removed was proven wrong. But I think they have decided to not use the concept of Tomorrowland being a preview of the future, but more as of a fantasy of the future. Because it is a land, and the only one, that can become outdated. Hence what they did with the remake in 1998. Instead of making everything look futuristic and staying with that theme, they went for something like a Jules Verne type of theme. And who knows. The nemo sub ride, could become just a part of Fantasyland. But yes, bring back the peoplemover ride. It is one that is very well missed. It's predecessor, the rocket rods, though my favorite, failed. Because they couldn't afford to bank the tracks so that the rods could make the turns without having to slow down then speed up again. This eventually led to their demise.

Marox3
08-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Last week I called to make ressies for December and the person who helped me told me the following:

The People Mover is coming back in 2006
The Rockets are moving back to their original location. This is because of the traffic problems with Buzz, Star Tours and now SM
Something about the Nemo ride....don't remember everything, but it's something we already know.

He was very positive with what he was telling me. It may be true, I don't know. I'm just going to wait and see.

phoenixfire2k5
08-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Last week I called to make ressies for December and the person who helped me told me the following:

The Rockets are moving back to their original location. This is because of the traffic problems with Buzz, Star Tours and now SM
Something about the Nemo ride....don't remember everything, but it's something we already know.

He was very positive with what he was telling me. It may be true, I don't know. I'm just going to wait and see.

WHAT?!?!?! <gasp!> :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Darkbeer....IS THIS TRUE?!?!

I can't really picture this happening, because that means that would mean MAJOR refurb to remove the rockets from where they are, to remove the observatron (and some people would actually LOVE this) and then put the rocket jets back up there.

potzbie
08-07-2005, 02:09 PM
I have an opinion:
"Don't bring back the People Mover."

You might say, the Disney management has indeed already brought back the People Mover, only with a different name in a different location.
It's called "Heimlich's Chew-Chew Train."
And a kiddy-land is indeed where the old People Mover ought to reside.

Judging by eye, the speed of HCCT is double what the People Mover was, I think.
Were you looking for something slower, with fewer sights?--Okay, ya got me, there!

The People Mover was pretty low tech.
The Whimsy Factor was very low.
When you have a train (DLRR) and HCCT, I see no reason to add back something that was been tried, and could not be made, say, "Tomorrowland-ish" in 2006.--They could not bring it back as is.--There is nothing Tomorrowland-ish about SSSLLLOOOWWW "bus service" that does not drop you off anywhere but your point of origin.

What IS possible or fitting?
How about a People Mover from DLH to DGC to PPH?
Now, we can start talking!

They could have an over-hang style car, like the old one at the Los Angeles County Fair, where instead of upright cars on wheels (old fashioned), you hang from a rail or from a wire, like those fancy rides at Six Flags parks, or like, an extended car for the SKYWAY buckets.

THAT has potential!

MrsG
08-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Something about the Nemo ride....don't remember everything, but it's something we already know

Don't believe everything a CM tells you. I had one swear that there was a loop going into Space Mountain. :rolleyes:

BellhopMicah
08-07-2005, 04:26 PM
-points and laughs- We still have the People M- er, Tomorrowland Transit Authority. :~D ;)

Marox3
08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Don't believe everything a CM tells you. I had one swear that there was a loop going into Space Mountain. :rolleyes:

The one thing I've learned reading posts at MP about rehab stuff is to believe it when you see it. I kind of feel sorry for the guy who helped me. I think he really believes everything people tell him. A little naive, but he was helpful in my ressie.

I guess you can chalk this up to the "latest rumors"... :eek:

phoenixfire2k5
08-07-2005, 09:20 PM
-points and laughs- We still have the People M- er, Tomorrowland Transit Authority. :~D ;)

-points and laughs- We still have the better Fantasmic!!! And we also have the Remember fireworks!!! :p <rasberries>

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Yes, they should bring it back. And, when I rode the monorail the other day, my assumption of the peoplemover track being removed was proven wrong. But I think they have decided to not use the concept of Tomorrowland being a preview of the future, but more as of a fantasy of the future. Because it is a land, and the only one, that can become outdated. Hence what they did with the remake in 1998. Instead of making everything look futuristic and staying with that theme, they went for something like a Jules Verne type of theme. And who knows. The nemo sub ride, could become just a part of Fantasyland. But yes, bring back the peoplemover ride. It is one that is very well missed. It's predecessor, the rocket rods, though my favorite, failed. Because they couldn't afford to bank the tracks so that the rods could make the turns without having to slow down then speed up again. This eventually led to their demise.

I would put the subs AND Autopia in the Fantasyland category. Then start Tomorrowland at the innoventions building and go towards Astro.

Disneyfun
08-07-2005, 09:36 PM
I would put the subs AND Autopia in the Fantasyland category. Then start Tomorrowland at the innoventions building and go towards Astro.
I suddenly got this image in my head of tomorrow land beginning to get smaller and smaller like that room Luke. HAns, and Leia are in. :p

phoenixfire2k5
08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
I suddenly got this image in my head of tomorrow land beginning to get smaller and smaller like that room Luke. HAns, and Leia are in. :p

It was a garbage compactor lol. And if that really happens, I'll be the first to say "What an incredible smell you've discovered!" lol :p

Disneyfun
08-07-2005, 10:02 PM
It was a garbage compactor lol. And if that really happens, I'll be the first to say "What an incredible smell you've discovered!" lol :p
I was thinking Gargage compactor but was afraid of being slammed if I said that! :p

mzloolue
08-07-2005, 10:14 PM
-points and laughs- We still have the better Fantasmic!!! And we also have the Remember fireworks!!! :p <rasberries>

Yeah, but we still have plenty of fireworks, the peoplemover, and the Country Bears. :eek:

HorizonsA
08-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Ok, sorry to be a geek, but I've read in too many posts about Innoventions. Please, it's not Inovations. It's InNovENtions. It's "INOVATION" AND "INVENTIONS" put to together. INNOVENTIONS!! Sorry, I had to say something.

I will agree though, with the exception of Space Mountain, Star Tours, and INNOVENTIONS, you're not really going into the world of "tomorrow." Honey, I Shrunk the Audience has really nothing to do with the future. Although, do any of you know where I can pick up a shrinking machine?

Buzz Lightyear is more of a Fantasyland. ALthough to make it a tomorrowland attraction, they added "Astro Blasters."

And I am on the yes list for the comeback of a new PeopleMover. I don't care whether not about the "tomorrow" aspect of it. I loved it when I was a kid and will definetely be thrilled to see the PeopleMover back on that track.

TowerofTerror
08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
I say bring it back.I like that ride is really cool to see inside some of the stores and shops that are in tomorrowland

MrsG
08-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Yeah, but we still have plenty of fireworks, the peoplemover, and the Country Bears. :eek:
And Carousel of Progress. Now stop your gloating. :D

phoenixfire2k5
08-08-2005, 11:22 AM
And Carousel of Progress. Now stop your gloating. :D

I've read, probably on yesterland, that it's teetering on closing permanently.

Shortiemetoo
08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
The only futuristic ride is Space Tours...and there is a possibility of similar trips to space in the future...maybe not morphing from spot to spot...but traveling to and through space and relanding!! (Yes I know the word is not morphing...but can't remember the correct terminology right now :rolleyes: )
I say tomorrowland for the most part is not really a "tomorrowland" but a fun way to look at what Walt Disneys points were with having the land in the first place!
I still remember the thrill I felt when I was a child and went on the "rocket to the moon" ride! That was so much fun! I loved it...even later when it became "rocket to Mars" I liked it!! Fun and innovative!!!
It would be awesome to come up with some really futuristic attractions, but the problem in tomorrowland is having the space to put them in as well as trying to build E ticket attractions that appeal to mass audiences.
People Mover!!! Yes please!!! But have it with a stop in Fantasyland, near small world or something...so that you can ride it round trip or one way!!
Or better yet, build it in downtown disney with two stops along the route and let tourists ride it if they don't want to or can't walk the distance!! :D

phoenixfire2k5
08-08-2005, 11:58 AM
The only futuristic ride is Space Tours...and there is a possibility of similar trips to space in the future...maybe not morphing from spot to spot...but traveling to and through space and relanding!! (Yes I know the word is not morphing...but can't remember the correct terminology right now :rolleyes: )
I say tomorrowland for the most part is not really a "tomorrowland" but a fun way to look at what Walt Disneys points were with having the land in the first place!
I still remember the thrill I felt when I was a child and went on the "rocket to the moon" ride! That was so much fun! I loved it...even later when it became "rocket to Mars" I liked it!! Fun and innovative!!!
It would be awesome to come up with some really futuristic attractions, but the problem in tomorrowland is having the space to put them in as well as trying to build E ticket attractions that appeal to mass audiences.
People Mover!!! Yes please!!! But have it with a stop in Fantasyland, near small world or something...so that you can ride it round trip or one way!!
Or better yet, build it in downtown disney with two stops along the route and let tourists ride it if they don't want to or can't walk the distance!! :D

Space Tours? That's Star Tours you dingledork! lol

DisneylandForever
08-08-2005, 12:13 PM
I read on SaveDisney.com a few months ago that they were hoping to have the PeopleMover back by 2008. I like most of you I would love to have it back! If you think about it, its return (or at least some sort of attraction) is inevitable. They're not going to remove the track, and I don't think they would leave it barren forever. JMO, of course.

oregontraveler
08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Disneyfun, I'm not going to trash you. I would love to see the PM come back. I can imagine CM Matt wanting to do something with the track along with Nemo in 2007. I have my fingers crossed they will bring back the PM plus move the rockets back on top. That would be too cool :)