PDA

View Full Version : A hard, troublesome question I have. Is Disneyland a museum, and not a theme park?

fjhuerta
08-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Before you shout "Heresy!".. think about it.

How many kids could be interested today in the Tiki Room? Now that every "ride" has to have at least three corkscrew inversions, is that still an "attraction"... or....

What about the Pirates of the Caribbean? I love them, but every friend of mine thinks it's the most boring thing ever. Audio-animatronics that have existed for ages, and are always the same (Same thing goes for Epcot, actually).

Or "It's a Small World?" Again, I love it - but most friends think its boring and outdated.

Matterhorn? An old steel coaster that's boring... same thing goes for the Space Mountain or the Big Thunder... (according to them). The list goes on and on.

What is a modern theme park, anyway? Islands of Adventure, with "The Hulk", "Spider-Man", "Dueling Dragons"? Major coasters with great themes? Ultra-modern attractions like "Mission: Space"? The grandest of them all, "The Tower of Terror"?

When you consider all those things, could it be possible that we love Disneyland because it's a living museum - much like the one in the Pier 39 (The Musée Mecanique) in San Francisco? You know, you go there, watch the displays, insert coins, enjoy them and go back to your Nintendo?

What if people that simply "don't get it" are right, and Disneyland is not a real theme park anymore, but a splendidn representation of what once was?

Or, is the park a timeless classic that can be enjoyed by everyone who isn't afraid to admit he's a kid at heart?

:confused:

08-07-2005, 11:11 AM
How many kids could be interested today in the Tiki Room?

Mine are - two girls, 15 and 13. They were very disappointed that it was closed last October. We listen to the music often.

What about the Pirates of the Caribbean?

My kids love that ride. The Johnny Depp movie doesn't hurt.

Or "It's a Small World?"

My 15 year-old thought it was like the coolest, most gigantic art project ever.

Matterhorn? An old steel coaster that's boring... same thing goes for the Space Mountain or the Big Thunder...

Matterhorn and Space Mountain were closed last October so my kids didn't get to try them out. Big Thunder they love. Viva el goat trick!

They also loved Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones. But most of all, they loved Autopia.

My vote goes to Timeless Classic.

cosmicjive
08-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Judging by the enormous crowds I have had to struggle through every time I've been there this summer (which is about once a week), I'd say there are still an awful lot of people who "still get it."

By the argument you are laying out, DCA should be a big success. It is more of a "modern" theme park. And yet all those people who bought park hopper tickets, and could easily choose one over the other, are spending most of their day at Disneyland.

As for the Tiki Room, it is the one attraction that every single person I take to the park, without fail, wants to see. I've sat through those singing birds so many times since it reopened that I'm about ready to let a cat loose in the building. Yeah, I'd say the Tiki Room is still popular.

-Jeff "etumor"

SCUBAbe
08-07-2005, 11:19 AM
I thik alot of it is a museum that people want left so they can relive their childhoods there. The rides are very tame....but space is fun...BTMR and matterhorm are yawners for sure. WE usually chat through POTC...why?? because we go in it so we can sit and be cool for 17 minutes, but it is boring. the new cannon effects are cool though.

Dl is the perfect family park for the toddiler or 12 under under family. the rides are tame and the kiddies love them. When the family grows DL becomes boring to them. Thats where DCA should come into play. My ideal for that park is to have the racier, fun more thrill type rides in it. We spend most of our time in DCA now. We will rides the main 4 at DL (space, splash, BTMR and INDY) then we head right over to DCA. I was so dissapointed when they put bugs land in. the kiddies alreday have all of DL for slow rides.

TikiGeek
08-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Or, is the park a timeless classic that can be enjoyed by everyone who isn't afraid to admit he's a kid at heart?Exactly! To paraphrase Walt Disney - Disneyland is a place to relive fond memories of the past and have experiences that can be remembered in the future.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
08-07-2005, 12:12 PM
i think its both...

we have the great museum type areas..(great moments with lincoln, the disney gallery...) that you can wander into and learn more about the park, its creation, desigin and the hard work it took to get it done. not only that though, it is a living miseum in a sense becaue all those that go now can recall on old memories of going (if they ever did) when they were a child. once they enter through the gates im sure their mind is flooded with all sorts of memories and wonderful feelings. i know thats how i get when i go and even though i go there like 80 times a year :D and im only 24 i still get that feeling of being little and i start to draw back on old memories with my family. so yes it is a living breathing museum not just the rides or the archive-type areas...but its a museum of the mind (if that makes any sense)

and its still a timeless classic cause my neice (6) can NOT get enough of that park. and we make sure that every time my brother is in town from the army we go and have a nice three day stay. also, i have plenty of teenage, early -mid twenties friends that absolutley ADORE the park. it sets an atmosphere like none other. yeah you can have great "themed" rides, but we would rather go to a great "themed" park.

all in all i think that its a cornerstone of our past, and will continue to be that going into the future. as long as there are kids that beleive in the disney magic it will never become just a museum, but a place where the past and present can coexist for just that breif moment in time.

Opus1guy
08-07-2005, 01:11 PM
i think its both...

I agree. I think it's become a bit of a museum because it's historical. It was a "first." And it lead to many others. It's almost a Historical Landmark.

But at the same time it's an ongoing business. And even Walt didn't want a stagnate thing. He wanted it to change. And it has.

But I do think there are some elements that should never be changed. Like the core basics and icons of the Park. Those are bigger than The Company. They belong to America (and the world).

:)

08-07-2005, 01:13 PM
But I do think there are some elements that should never be changed. Like the core basics and icons of the Park. Those are bigger than The Company. They belong to America (and the world).

Well said! Disneyland is a national treasure in private hands.

adriennek
08-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Viva el goat trick!

Ah... the Goat Trick.

Adrienne
don't want to disappoint Earkid

MrsG
08-07-2005, 02:11 PM
We will rides the main 4 at DL (space, splash, BTMR and INDY) then we head right over to DCA.
I think most DLR fans do the exact opposite: go to DCA for the 4 main attractions (Soarin', ToT, Screamin' and GGR) then head back to DL for everything else.

I just got done giving the grand tour of DLR to some family members who only come down every 5+ years. They had not seen DCA before and were really looking forward to it. They loved Soarin', Tot and GGR (Screamin was down) but the rest was just "okay" for them. I agree, but I purposely did not voice my opinion so I could get their non-regular-visitor opinions.

Emma
08-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I think most DLR fans do the exact opposite: go to DCA for the 4 main attractions (Soarin', ToT, Screamin' and GGR) then head back to DL for everything else.

That is exactly what we do.

Disneyland is sooo not a museum.

It's a National Treasure.

You want thrill rides, go to Six Flags, or Knotts. Disneyland is so much more.

The wonderful thing about Disneyland is that you're stepping out of the real world, and entering a totaly ;) magical one.

BTW, my 5 year old LOVES The Tiki Room, and Pirates is her favorite attractions. IASW is a close second.

--Emma

Shortiemetoo
08-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Disneyland is much more than the attractions that are present in the park. It is an experience unlike most theme parks.
Most others have children areas and adult areas...Disneyland has many rides that appeal to both age groups at the same time.
Disneyland has a variety of shows, some of which some people find entertaining and others that some people could care less about!
Disneyland has "cast members" that for the most part really care about the guest experience and whether or not the experience is positive! At other theme parks I have been to, or shopped in, the employees are not as enthusiastic, polite or knowledgeable.
Disneyland has a history...the rides that are there and have been there for many years were groundbreaking for their time, and different than any place else in the world.
How much you experience "the magic" of disneyland depends upon your mindset when you enter. For me it is childhood memories, memories of bringing my daughter and STILL being able to ride many rides and have a lot of fun, going there as an adult with my grandparents and seeing their eyes light up and seeing them feeling younger than their age as they were having so much fun!!
Add to that the parades, fireworks, special events, holiday overlays and the amount of choices available I would say it is not only modern in a lot of ways, but it is a timeless classic in the ways that are positive!! :D
And if some things are outdated that is part of the beauty of them! ie: The tiki room!!

ToursbabeC3po
08-07-2005, 02:39 PM
I think what is differant and sets Disney apart from every other theme park is that there is something for everyone. Also every attraction has a story behind it. Not just any stories but magical Disney stories. It is almost like being in another world when you are their.
I do think that when they keep old attractions they need to be updated. What they did with POTC and Jungle are perfect examples. Keep the attraction the same but add in some new elements.
You don't see families coming from other parts of the world to visit Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain. That is because Disney has something that no other theme park can touch. Memories that last a lifetime. Even when cast members are at their worst behavior they bet other theme parks customer service Ten fold.
Toursbabe

FoodLover
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
could it be possible that we love Disneyland because it's a living museum

I would argue that it was (at least in part) a museum even on the day it opened. You don't think Main Street, U.S.A. was "up to date" in 1955, do ya? :)

Nostalgia has always been a huge part of what makes Disneyland appealing. As a previous poster mentioned, Walt Disney intended it to be a fantasy world that was partly backward-looking and partly focused on the future.

Is it more historic than futuristic at this point? Possibly. The question is, does the fantasy work? Obviously millions of people think it does.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

GeminiAngel
08-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Hmmmm.. As I see it Disneyland is as american as Apple pie & baseball. A true American icon. Its about a man with a vision, and the freedom to give it life. The begining of the family theme park started with Walt.
As for attractions being boring. I think not.
I would just love to point out to these "bored ppl" the Matterhorn was the FIRST tube steel coaster ever. If it wasn't for that there would be no "Hulk", etc... you get the picture.

A muesum? maybe it falls under that, & all the other titles given. :D

Uncle Remus
08-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Well i think Disneyland is mainly for adults and children to have fun together. Teens (like myself) may get bored at times with pirates, haunted, everything in fantasyland. But when we have kids and bring them to disneyland to ride all those classic rides and new ones. There will be a love there that cant be found anywhere else. So like the little kids have to grow into being able to ride the big rides, teens will have to grow into liking pirates, haunted, etc when they bring their kids, because half of the fun is seeing a little kids face enjoying peter pan for the first time.

Ps: I love disneyland. Otherwise I wouldn't be on this site, I would be on cocaine.

MrsG
08-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Well i think Disneyland is mainly for adults and children to have fun together. Teens (like myself) may get bored at times with pirates, haunted, everything in fantasyland.
You are a very wise teen. :)

GrumpyUTboi
08-08-2005, 06:15 AM
My kids think that it is a theme park. The theme is Disney. They love the rides at DCA and DL. They get really sad when we have to leave.

Susan L
08-08-2005, 08:13 AM
The Tiki room, my kids love it and they are 16-18.

POTC is one of our favorites, it is the first ride we always go on.

IASW, ok this is a sappy one but, you have to go on it at least once in awhile.

The Matterhorn is the first steel roller coaster to be made and the first roller coaster I ever went on. I love it still to this day. My kids like it to but, they have to be able to ride by themselves because they are very tall and they get squished in the bobsleds.

Disneyland isn't just about the rides its about a state of mind magic. A museum yes, I guess you could say it is that in a sense that alot of the other theme parks got their inspiration from Disneyland. And because Walt was an old fashion kind of guy.

I've been to lots of other amusement parks and although I have had fun at them, they just aren't the same. Disneyland is a very special place.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
08-08-2005, 08:22 AM
My boys are 15 and 16. Every time we're there we have to do Pirates. Trevor MUST have a ride on the Matterhorn. The Mark Twain is right up there too-one never knows when the pilot might say "want to come up?"

They KNOW it's not six flags. And that's okay. There are all kinds of theme parks-Disneyland is one of a kind.

-TLMt

Captain Josh
08-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Apparently in this wonderful universe, people tend to forget that Theme Park has the word 'theme' in it.

...So, what exactly is the theming of your average Six Flags coaster? I take it it is called Batman for a reason. Does it make you feel like Batman? Does it tell you how you became the Dark Knight? ....or does it fling you around for 17 seconds?

Face it, people are spoiled, and dare I say downright stupid. No appreciation at all, sometimes. I see the looks on people's faces. They all jump on my attraction, like I'm a parking attendant. Heck, people ask me if the steam trains take them back to the parking lot. Never mind that you are riding on a train being pulled by a locomotive built for the park all the way back when, that was even operated by Walt himself.

Walt who?

GAH!

The term theme park means that there needs to be a theme. Walt Disney sought to make a place where families could enjoy things together, and a place where he could tell stories to the said families. He wanted this place to be a natural extension of the films and animated features he already made. He wanted these families to come to a place and be together and feel like they were part of the show.

Show is one of the values we put forward most in our company. Why do you think we run around calling ourselves Cast Members? We want everyone who visits to feel like their part of something. Not just visiting a place that looks like a 1930's shanty town on the edge of a jungle river, but actually being there. Main Street isn't an entrance folks, it's an eager turn of the century America that is eager, because it has so much to look foward to. Be this the flying ships in Tomorrowland, or the magical tales in Fantasyland, there is something to look forward to.

Now onto the other question. Is Disneyland a museum? I must say in a sense it is, but honestly, it really should not be. It is a museum in the sense that everything should be kept in fine working order and be presentable. However that does not mean that the entire world we create must be preserved in it's state, circa 19XX. Disneyland is always changing, and it must to survive. If it were indeed a museum we would leave things untouched, you would still have
15 or so opening day attractions, and a working pharmacy on Main Street.

Things change for a reason, for better or worse. (I imagine people replying with burning tirades about "how much more efficient the old parking lot was, or that Star Tours needs to be ripped out and bring back Adventures Thru Innerspace!!!") Disneyland is a THEME park. It provides a different kind of show for the people. A show were people are the stars. You aren't just funneled into a steel monstrosity and flung about. There's a reason for you to be in line for what you are about to ride. Be it a pleasureable drive through the lanes of the "future", or a treasure seeking quest in a old temple, you have a reason to be there, and you are always welcome.

nickbrown2k2
08-08-2005, 09:02 AM
If because Disneyland does not have the latest roller coaster, call it a timeless classic, call it tame...call it whatever you want.

However, look at the nearest places that do have those coasters: Knotts, Six Flags...The reputation and cleanliness is just not the same!

If Disneyland is tame...who cares! At least it is a clean place, with great security (when is the last time you've heard of a shooting at the DLR? rather than at SFMMountain?)

:)

fjhuerta
08-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Well i think Disneyland is mainly for adults and children to have fun together. Teens (like myself) may get bored at times with pirates, haunted, everything in fantasyland. But when we have kids and bring them to disneyland to ride all those classic rides and new ones. There will be a love there that cant be found anywhere else. So like the little kids have to grow into being able to ride the big rides, teens will have to grow into liking pirates, haunted, etc when they bring their kids, because half of the fun is seeing a little kids face enjoying peter pan for the first time.

Ps: I love disneyland. Otherwise I wouldn't be on this site, I would be on cocaine.

I hear you. When I was 15 years old, I thought DL was a bore. I didn't get it.

I didn't visit the place when I was younger, so I had no memories and nothing to compare it to.

Now that I'm a bit older, I see the place for what it is - a classic. My friends, though, seem to think of theme parks as thrill rides, and can't understand why on earth I'd like to ride Pirates again. Maybe I'm just Goofy that way.

adamvonwillis
08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
what is the goat trick?

Ottmar
08-09-2005, 08:00 AM
what is the goat trick?
You know, people say that the Getty Center is as much a theme park as a museum. (It has a tram, restaurants, and shopping.) The reverse is true for Disneyland. Eventhough it exists as a themepark, it has also become a museum because of its mere presence and influence in society for 50 years. Perhaps that is part of the culture of southern california--nothing is quite as it seems and high and low brow cultures have mixed. I think that's a good thing if you ask me.