PDA

View Full Version : Great Moments with Lincoln 3D

hefferdude
02-16-2002, 10:57 AM
We just completed another road trip to DLR. Decided to
finish the day with Mr. Lincoln. Very impressed with
the new venue, The script adds a piece doing justice
to Lincoln's anguish over the Civil War. A bit sobering.
Another original that should NEVER be replaced.
And the new 3D sound was absolutely amazing.
( My hair looks pretty good too! ) :D
Hey, TDA, what about a something along the lines of
the WDW Hall of Presidents for the future?

MonorailMan
02-16-2002, 04:17 PM
I also loved the 3D sound!

Matterhorn Fan
02-17-2002, 02:29 PM
I did NOT love the special sound. But I find that whole show concept intrusive and bothersome (also dislike Tough to be a Bug, Alien Encounter, and HISTA (in some respects)).

FYI, when Lincoln finally gets to speak in the new show, his speech comes through the regular speakers in addition to the headphones. It's a little quiet, but at least I can get what I go in there for without being bothered by that other stuff.

Kuzcotopia
02-17-2002, 06:09 PM
I have to say, I find the new Lincoln show silly and trite. I think that Walt would rather it get torn out than forced into being a low-grade "This is Stereo" hi-fi novelty record.

If this is what Lincoln has to be in order for it to "fit in" to today's Disneyland, I say lose it. It has no thematic place in a themepark dedicated to children's imagination.

The attraction only exists today as a service to sentiment. "Don't tear it out, Walt loved it." That's no reason to keep something that the public obviously doesn't love.

I liked it only because it reminded me of Disneyland visits of my childhood. Not that I enjoyed it as a child. Not that children enjoy it today.

Oh, to have the American Adventure at Disneyland. That is the best Animatronic show ever made. It is thematicaly strong. It is also solid entertainment. It actually makes more sense in Disneyland than Lincoln, as it DOES fire the imagination to make history come to life. And it inspires dreams for the future, because it teaches about America's constant struggle for civil rights, justice and opportunity.

But Disney seems more interested in extreme, fast moving attractions from now on. I can't imagine any "show" getting built in Disneyland unless it poked and prodded the visitor, bounced them around their seats or splattered them with dog-snot.

I guess we should be thankful that Lincoln doesn't sneeze.

Ghoulish Delight
02-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda of iffy on the whole new Lincoln thing. On the one hand, I like the technology. Sure it's nothing super fancy, but it is certainly well done. But I also agree that it doesn't belong in Lincoln. This is the same reason I shudder anytime anyone whispers about "updating" Pirates or Haunted Mansion. Squeezing new technology into an old attraction format just doesn't cut it for me. Perhaps if they had, instead of throwing it in there, somehow integrated it into Soarin' or, created a whole new 3D show that used it. That would have been better.

Kuzcotopia
02-18-2002, 12:07 PM
I also wouldn't count this as new technology. Since when is stereo a new concept?

Binaural recordings have been producing novelty effects since they were introduced on "This is Stereo" hi-fi records in the sixties.

Wireless infra-red headphones have been available for the past 15 years or so.

That's what's so strange to me here. This is such a non-technology. It's so old that it's like showing people a television and saying "isn't it amazing folks? LOOK, it's in COLOR!"

WOW, those aren't ORDINARY headphones you are wearing, they're IN STEREO!!!!

Updating the other rides I don't have a problem with. It's not the technology that's the problem. It's the ideas.

Here's a change I would love them to make, and yes, it would require new technology (but only new compared to the current effect.).

For years and years the fire has looked MIGHTY cheezy in Pirates. It's way past when they should have replaced that with real fire. Most other rides at every other park uses real fire. Time to update Pirates. Cellophane isn't spectacular.

If they were to update pirates and put in real fire, I would be very happy.

Gemini Cricket
02-18-2002, 12:14 PM
I would rather they update an attraction then have them remove it totally. I don't mind the updated sound.:)

I still think Lincoln's hair looks like Michael Landon's hair from "Little House on the Prairie.":D

hefferdude
02-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Gwarsh, that's OK. Gee wizzers and future monkey aside,
I found the Lincoln exhibit a nice ending to the stimuli
overload from being in the park all day :p
My kids enjoyed it too which is primarily why I am there.
Guess I'm just happy being a dumb cultural protozoat.

The ending is " ...nisi forte insanit."

DisneylandKid
02-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
I did NOT love the special sound. But I find that whole show concept intrusive and bothersome (also dislike Tough to be a Bug, Alien Encounter, and HISTA (in some respects)).

FYI, when Lincoln finally gets to speak in the new show, his speech comes through the regular speakers in addition to the headphones. It's a little quiet, but at least I can get what I go in there for without being bothered by that other stuff. wow.... somebody doesn't like cool SFX shows...

Matterhorn Fan
02-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
wow.... somebody doesn't like cool SFX shows... You're kind of writing off my opinion to put it that way. I've never really been a fan of wearing headphones, and I don't like being poked, prodded, and sneezed upon (by real people, animatronics, or movie characters).

We have a difference of opinion, and that's fine. I wouldn't call these attractions "cool SFX shows," simply because I don't think they're all that cool. As was already pointed out, stereo sound is nothing new, so I'm not particularly wowed by the technology. If I'm not wowed by the show effects, there just isn't much left in the new Lincoln show for me. To me, there's a lot of "stuff" I have to sit through, and then Abe gets to speak 10 sentences.

However, if the new effects are getting more people into that attraction, and if children aren't bored to death (or even enjoying themselves), perhaps this was a worthwhile rehab. I never liked the slide show at the beginning of the old show in the first place. I'm not saying the old show was better, just that I'm not a fan of this particular type of effects. But like I said, I can sit there in the air-conditioned theater without the headphones on, be startled by the explosions, and still get to hear from Lincoln. Everyone wins, I guess.

And DisneyLad, I agree. Lincoln does seem to have Michael Landon's hair.

MonorailMan
02-18-2002, 05:29 PM

FYI, when Lincoln finally gets to speak in the new show, his speech comes through the regular speakers in addition to the headphones. It's a little quiet, but at least I can get what I go in there for without being bothered by that other stuff.

Don't forget, If you don't like it, you don't have to go on it. :)

Matterhorn Fan
02-18-2002, 05:38 PM
You're absolutely right, MonorailMan. (Once again, reason is so, well, reasonable.) I generally don't go to these attractions.

MonorailMan
02-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Also, isn't there a little Piped air when the people talked close to your ear, sure felt like it. :)

Gemini Cricket
02-18-2002, 06:54 PM
You're kind of writing off my opinion to put it that way. I've never really been a fan of wearing headphones, and I don't like being poked, prodded, and sneezed upon (by real people, animatronics, or movie characters).
The last time I rode ITTBAB, I got stabbed in the back when the wasps came out, and it hurt! I thought I was just being a wimp at first, and then I'm thinking... five minutes later and it still kinda hurts. :( Next time, I'm gonna lean forwards @ that point. Being sneezed at or squirted at is annoying when you have glasses. It kinda kills the 3D effect when you have to wipe them off.:)

Kuzcotopia
02-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Yes, I DO hope that Disney has gotten all of those sneezing, rat-crawling, stinger-poking, blood-splattering, ear-blowing effects out of their system.

I think most people see them as they are, a vain attempt to repeat the surprise of one of their attractions over many attractions, to the point of turning guests off. People are afraid to take their children to Muppet-Vision 3D, and some of it is directly due to pg-rated scares in It's Tough to be a Bug, an attraction based on a G rated film.

All of these attractions use a variation on the old gag from 50's and 60's "B" movie producer William Castle. Castle was considered by some the "P. T. Barnum of the movies."

http://www.sudftw.com/tingler.htm

For his film, "The Tingler" he created a gimmick called "Percepto". Percepto was sold by him as if it were some new film process. "Filmed in PERCEPTO!"

The Gimmick
Percepto - This effect involved rigging selected theater seats with a vibrating buzzer unit under the seat. At predetermined times during the film the projectionist would set off these "tinglers", resulting in lots of screaming. A special crew traveled the country setting up theaters for this effect.

So really, this is what we're talking about here. Cheap roadshow carney tricks. Or rather the same trick, used over and over.

I think this trend in Disney attractions has long overstayed its welcome.

danyoung
02-20-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

The last time I rode ITTBAB, I got stabbed in the back when the wasps came out, and it hurt!...Next time, I'm gonna lean forwards @ that point.

I totally agree that the pain is not worth the special effect. I thought for a while that maybe the stinger just happened to hit a spot on my spine that was sensitive, but others I've talked to have the same opinion. Pain will never be a fun part of any show for me!

Matterhorn Fan
02-20-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

The last time I rode ITTBAB, I got stabbed in the back when the wasps came out, and it hurt! I thought I was just being a wimp at first, and then I'm thinking... five minutes later and it still kinda hurts. :( Next time, I'm gonna lean forwards @ that point. Being sneezed at or squirted at is annoying when you have glasses. It kinda kills the 3D effect when you have to wipe them off.:) I feel the same way about ITTBAB. Based on the last Bugs thread I posted in, that's all I'll say here.

Isn't the movie "Matinee" (interesting flick) based on Castle?

MickeyD
02-20-2002, 02:16 PM
I feel the same way about ITTBAB. Based on the last Bugs thread I posted in, that's all I'll say here.

Yes, I remember that thread too. It's strange how someone else can know better than I whether or not I am feeling pain.

Oh well. I think its great that some people like the new Lincoln. I just don't.