PDA

View Full Version : Any advice? [Beaches near the DLR and DLR fine dining]

Pages : [1] 2

Swhite
08-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Hello. I am new to posting here, but have been reading posts for a long time! There have been so much interesting and helpful information posted!

One thing I have not noticed advice for are the beaches in California. We are coming the last week of September to DLR and would like to go to the beach one day. Can anyone suggest a nice beach to go to that is pretty close?

We are coming with a couple who want to go out to dinner one night at a restaurant where everyone dresses up. Not me, I really would rather just go to Disneyland and eat there and ride Splash Mtn afterward!! Anyway, can someone offer advice on where one would go? I bet any restaurant like that is super expensive. I would like to try to persuade them to leave out the dress up night!!!

Thank you for any information or ideas.

mckygirl99
08-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Hello. I am new to posting here, but have been reading posts for a long time! There have been so much interesting and helpful information posted!

One thing I have not noticed advice for are the beaches in California. We are coming the last week of September to DLR and would like to go to the beach one day. Can anyone suggest a nice beach to go to that is pretty close?

We are coming with a couple who want to go out to dinner one night at a restaurant where everyone dresses up. Not me, I really would rather just go to Disneyland and eat there and ride Splash Mtn afterward!! Anyway, can someone offer advice on where one would go? I bet any restaurant like that is super expensive. I would like to try to persuade them to leave out the dress up night!!!

Your best bet for a nice beach is Huntington Beach. It has a long pier with a Ruby's at the end of it and a large shopping area across from there. There is also Newport which is nice and a little more upscale. You will find some nice places to eat out there where you can dress up. You're looking at about a 20 minute drive depending on traffic.

As far as dressing up is concerned, the only place I can really think of is the Napa Rose in the Grand Califorian hotel but I believe even that has a somewhat casual atmosphere. The food is excellent and yes you are going to be on the more expensive end. My husband and I had dinner there and it was $200 easily.

Good luck and have a fun trip!

TowerofTerror
08-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Huntington Beach is the best beach like someone else said. It not that long of drive to get that beach from Disneyland.It just a good beach that very close

CrazyTrain
08-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I seond Napa Rose, though it is a lot of money. However, you don't need to get all dressy dressy up... people dress in all ways there.

Shortiemetoo
08-08-2005, 11:11 AM
The Napa Rose is excellent!! It has a formal feel, but people are in all different attire...some even at the same table...Your friends could dress up and you could have on jeans and you would all be comfortable...it is that kind of an atmosphere!!
The food is excellent...Darkbeer gave us all a link that has the menus and pricing for the different restaurants...Napa Rose is under resort dining, grand California Hotel...
The menu changes seasonally, so it will not be the same in November as it is in July etc...but will give you an idea of prices!!

http://www.dlresortinfo.com/

I had two appetizers, a soup and an heirloom tomato salad, so it wasn't really all that expensive, but it filled me up and I got to enjoy the atmosphere and service!
Be prepared for a dining experience. It takes awhile to have your meal there!
I think we were there for 2 hours and felt very comfortable and pampered the entire time! Great staff, grate decor, great food!!

adriennek
08-08-2005, 01:09 PM
We (my husband and I) two appetizers, two salads, two entrees, two desserts and a bottle of cab -- worth e-v-e-r-y p-e-n-n-y.

Napa Rose.

(Granvilles is also a dress up dinner I guess but I still say go to Napa Rose.)

Adrienne

Disneyland Fan
08-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Huntington Beach rocks!!! Not too many places to dress up (if any) however.

phoenixfire2k5
08-08-2005, 03:05 PM

Then you must have missed this thread: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=45487&highlight=beach

In there, I specified that the best beaches are Huntington, Newport, and Balboa. And as far as good dining is concerned (and I do agree with Napa Rose) that is not too expensive, try Rubys Diner. They're very good and you can find one on the ends of Huntington and Balboa Piers. Both of them are two stories.

Swhite
08-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Thank you for all the advice and the links. It is much appreciated!

Disneynerd
08-08-2005, 06:49 PM
What about Laguna? After 4 days or so at the DLR we head over to Laguna Beach. It has such a great local "feel". If you want to get fancy, try Cafe Zulu. They have the BEST baseball cut swordfish. But you can pretty much wear anything there although it has a upscale price range and menu items. It's also very, very tiny so make reservations.

The Charthouse in ?Newport? is awesome too. Put on your Sunday best and get ready to enjoy the view!

I'm from Michigan, so all my opinions are based on my glorious once-a-year visit to California. Okay, now I want swordfish.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Susan L
08-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Our favorite beach there is Laguna. As for dress up dining, I'm on the same page as you. Why dress up when you can be comfortable.

mckygirl99
08-08-2005, 10:14 PM
A friend of mine is the general manger of Bayside restaurant in Newport Beach. The food is excellent and it has a business casual feel. It is in the moderate range with a great wine selection.

ucube
08-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I agree - Laguna Beach, definitely nicer beach.
Huntington is closer, and still nice and interesting...but beach/water much better at Laguna - can be stunning even.

kikid
08-09-2005, 05:46 AM
What about Laguna? After 4 days or so at the DLR we head over to Laguna Beach. It has such a great local "feel". If you want to get fancy, try Cafe Zulu. They have the BEST baseball cut swordfish. But you can pretty much wear anything there although it has a upscale price range and menu items. It's also very, very tiny so make reservations.

The Charthouse in ?Newport? is awesome too. Put on your Sunday best and get ready to enjoy the view!

I'm from Michigan, so all my opinions are based on my glorious once-a-year visit to California. Okay, now I want swordfish.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
Disneynerd;
Glad to hear your love for Laguna...I have to agree on Cafe' Zulu. Great Food!
Best beaches south of DL. I grew up in Laguna and now live in San Diego.... :crying:
Kikid

GrumpyUTboi
08-09-2005, 06:49 AM
El Pollo Loco is a great place to dress up and eat after a long day at the the beach. We usually go to Newport. Just be warned that if you want to park your car near the beach you need to bring cash because they charge to park. I think that it was $5.

dlandnut
08-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Crab Cooker at Newport Beach!!! :) (don't need to dress up, however)

Disneynerd
08-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Disneynerd;
Glad to hear your love for Laguna...I have to agree on Cafe' Zulu. Great Food!
Best beaches south of DL. I grew up in Laguna and now live in San Diego.... :crying:
KikidYay, a Laguna fan!! And native - you lucky person! We usually stay at Sunset Cove Villas and encounter the same locals each year who actually remember us. The light at sunset is unmatchable!

pisces
08-09-2005, 02:03 PM
You'd be surprised at the traffic and congestion of Laguna. It's not the sleepy little town it once was.

Sunset and Surfside, are far more private and not as congested.....however, neither is as picturesque as Laguna.

An upscale restaurant that's heavily themed and incredibly romantic, charming and delightful is .....Five Crowns in Newport Beach.

Nothing screams "special occasion" more than Five Crowns. A dinner there, with the costumed waitstaff, spinning salad bowl, and roaring fireplace....is something you won't soon forget.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/fivecrowns_gen_info.asp

kikid
08-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Yay, a Laguna fan!! And native - you lucky person! We usually stay at Sunset Cove Villas and encounter the same locals each year who actually remember us. The light at sunset is unmatchable!

Where exactly is Sunset Cove? Probably a new spot since we left way back in 98'. Las Brisas is a wonderful restaurant to watch the sunsets. Thalia and Bluebird are good beaches.

adriennek
08-09-2005, 03:04 PM
An upscale restaurant that's heavily themed and incredibly romantic, charming and delightful is .....Five Crowns in Newport Beach.

Nothing screams "special occasion" more than Five Crowns. A dinner there, with the costumed waitstaff, spinning salad bowl, and roaring fireplace....is something you won't soon forget.

http://www.lawrysonline.com/fivecrowns_gen_info.asp

The spinning salad bowl is at Lawry's Prime Rib in Beverly Hills...

Now, don't get me wrong: my parents' rehearsal dinner and my college graduation dinner and many other eventful dinners for our family have been at Five Crowns, but...

If you're really going to have an outstanding dining experience off property and you're already at DLR: The Cellar in Fullerton, on Harbor. To. Die. For.

Adrienne

The old man
08-09-2005, 03:40 PM
...The Charthouse in ?Newport? is awesome too. Put on your Sunday best...
HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
Awesome? Good food? Sunday best?
Nah.
David

Disneynerd
08-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Awesome? Good food? Sunday best?
Nah.
DavidWhat do you mean?

pisces
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Lobster Thermador, Steak Tartare, and Beef Wellington----carved tableside....those sorts of meals you'd dress-up for.

http://www.thearchesrestaurant.com/index.html

cstephens
08-09-2005, 05:38 PM
We're going to be in Laguna on Sunday, and we're trying out Hush Restaurant (http://www.hushrestaurant.com/). Menu sounded good.

pisces
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
.......and the night is still young.

Perhaps you might like to round out the evening here:

http://www.theskyroom.com

....dining, dancing, romancing ;)

"Back when going out to dinner meant dressing up for an evening on the town..."