PDA

View Full Version : Going on the cheap: food at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

disneyrand
08-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I originally posted this in the Turkey legs thread , but the topic (I thought) needed a thread of it's own:

I'll have to admit to a weakness for chimis myself, so that will definitely be on the "to try" list. In all honesty, I'm just looking for things that will keep my kids happy on the cheap. We will be in the park for 5 days. I read in the trip planner, that you should budget for $50.00 a day per person for food in the park. It doesn't sound too horrible, but I've got a family of five. For 5 days that's $1250.00 just to eat! I'm fortunate that two of my kids (the girls) are pretty light eaters, so I'm looking for some things that will get them by during the mid-day that aren't terribly expensive. I hate going to Tommorrowland to buy them the burger and fries basket only to watch them eat half the burger and a handful of fries. I know my focus should just be on having a good time, but evrytime I see them throw away half their food, all I can see is about $9.00 being thrown into a garbage can. :mad:

I wish I could just freely spend on the trip and not stress about little things like that, but I don't have credit cards (and wouldn't use them if I did) and it's taken us an entire year to save up for this trip. We started paying for hotel rooms and plane tickets back in March. The last that we have been saving for is "spending money" for our trip. It's looking like we'll have about $2200.00 for the five days. I've promised my kids each $100.00 to spend on ANYTHING they want (last time I restricted their spending to items that I thought would be "worth it"). So, that leaves $1900.00 for food, someway to "specialize" my wife's birthday (August 19th) and "fun stuff" for the wife and I during our trip. Being that two of my kids are light eaters, I'm thinking this is the best way to cut some corners and focus our assets more on the experience rather than the garbage can.

Any pointers out there from you seasoned kid packers? This is only the second time I've taken my kids, so I'm not the seasoned veteran that one would expect from a guy that's been going since 1975. :|

Also are there any "reasonably priced" restaurants just outside the park that we could go to and return without too much delay? I know I'm going off topic a bit here, but this thread has just opened up a whole new world of questions for me. Thanks in advance to all you bargain tripsters who can help a stressing daddy out.

DR

disneyperson
08-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Millies across the street and just down a bit from DL serves huge portions of very good fairly priced food. The staff are all very nice too.
As for eating on the cheap in Dl. We like the bread bowls and fruit salads.The chicken sticks and fried mozzerella at the Golden Horsehoe and the Stagedoor Cafe are a great bargain, come with fries and are easy to share. For snacks, the small frozen vogurts in Toon Town are a good buy. (but drippy)

08-06-2005, 02:43 PM
I read in the trip planner, that you should budget for $50.00 a day per person for food in the park.

I went last October with my two teen daughters. We didn't spend anything like that, if you factor out one special dinner at Napa Rose.

You can easily split entrées. Believe me, my kids and I do not eat like birds. We even split the Redd Rockett's Pizza Port fusilli three ways at lunch, with the addition of a side salad. It left room for a little French Market dessert spree midafternoon. At Blue Bayou, one daughter and I split the Monte Cristo, etc., etc., etc.

Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian Hotel is paradise for a cost-conscious family. Again, two adults can split the breakfast burrito or the nachos or burger quite easily. The food is terrific, very fairly priced, and the atmosphere is conducive to kids actually eating.

Emma
08-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Mimi's Cafe is also across the street, and is very reasonably priced, and the food is terrific.

Places like Red Rocket's Pizza Port, The Plaza Inn, and The French Market inside the park, give portions easily big enough for two adults to share.

--Emma

pisces
08-06-2005, 02:49 PM
$50.00 dollars a day is too expensive. Even with a Character buffet, you should be able to do it cheaper than that, provided you bring the additional day's food from home.

Even without bringing anything from home....plus your willingness to go off site:

There's a Hometown Buffet, somewhere around there, in Anaheim, where you can have all you can eat, for around $10.00 a person. Maybe later on, a Turkey Drumstick and Blueberry Muffin at Blue Ribbon.....wouldn't cost more than $10.00., together, and with drinks..... and all of that for one day would be about $25.00 per person/per day.

lisap
08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
50.00 per person, per day? I don't think you will spend that much on the kids. And unless you are going to table service places for every meal, I don't think the grownups will spend that much, either.

The first thing I would do is look into your hotel room situation. Does it have a mini fridge? Can you bring a cooler? A lot of money can be saved by having breakfast in your room. Packing fun/healthy snacks can save you from buying expensive DL snacks constantly.

Also, think about splitting meals. At Pizza Port we often get a pasta dish and salad, or slice of pizza and salad and that will be enough for two people. If your kids only eat half a burger--buy one meal and split it.

Whitewater Snacks at the GC is a great, reasonable place to have a meal. One kids cheese pizza and fruit plate is a great meal for our two girls. It's also good for breakfast before you hit the parks if you don't want to store food in your room.

Here's (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031029lp.htm) a MP article about cheap eats in Downtown Disney. It's a couple of years old, but there's still good info in there.

EDIT: I type too slowly. :rolleyes:

DangerMouse
08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
We are also a family of 5. We always plan for only one meal in the park per day and allow one snacky/sweet item per day.

We eat at the hotel in the morning (cereal/oatmeal made in microwave/juice/fruit, etc.). I pack more than enough snacky food for lunch (i.e., peanut butter/honey rolled in tortillas, jerky, trail mix or trail mix bars, goldfish, juice boxes, water). Then we eat an early dinner to avoid the crowds.

Best cheap meals in the park for us are one of the following, depending on where we are at that point in the day:

DCA: Whitewater snacks at GCH. Very affordable and fresh food. Usually drop about $30 for all 5 of us.

DL: French Market in NOS. You can get a plate of fried chicken for the kids to split. If you request all drumsticks, they will give you 6 - yes SIX drumsticks, plus sides. More than enough for our 3 kids to share. Then dh and I will split a pork sandwich or french dip. Plenty of food for sharing here.

DTD: We like to eat at Tortilla Joe's Taquerilla outside window. Extremely affordable and yummy tacos and nachos. We spend an average of $3.50 per person here.

Mimi's on Harbor (right by the HoJo) is a great place to eat and split meals as well. I just love their corn chowder!

There's our money saving tips. HTH!

Doug
08-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I find the river belle has good breakfast and lunch/dinner prices... The Plaza inn is expensive... but it is all you can eat...

Also, try the Story Teller in the Grand Californian, they have all you can eat for dinner $25, but the lunches are reasonable ($10) ... Try not to snack off the carts around the park ... bring like granola bars, or something simple for between meals, just have a big break fast (IHOP across the street is a good place to fill up before going in for the day), then wait at least 6 hours before having lunch, then have a filling lunch, relax for an hour, then head out again.... have a light dinner.... perhaps a chicken sandwhich each from that scottish place, McDonalds ;) ... only 99¢ each .... for a light dinner.... it's a thought....

disneyrand
08-06-2005, 03:00 PM
You guys, rock! This site is a serious wealth of knowledge. Like I mentioned before, I've been going to the park since 1975, and I've learned things on here that I have NEVER known about Disneyland. That's the great thing about Disneyland, though. I notice something new every single time. Thanks again, all. You are officially my online Disney family!!! :D

DR

disneyrand
08-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I find the river belle has good breakfast and lunch/dinner prices... The Plaza inn is expensive... but it is all you can eat...

Also, try the Story Teller in the Grand Californian, they have all you can eat for dinner $25, but the lunches are reasonable ($10) ... Try not to snack off the carts around the park ... bring like granola bars, or something simple for between meals, just have a big break fast (IHOP across the street is a good place to fill up before going in for the day), then wait at least 6 hours before having lunch, that have a filling lunch, relax for an hour, then head out again.... have a light dinner.... perhaps a chicken sandwhich each from that scottish place, McDonalds ;) ... only 99¢ each .... for a light dinner.... it's a thought....

That's the great thing about kids. McDonalds is ALWAYS an option. It doesn't matter where in the world you are at, McDonalds is a quisine meal to a 10 year old. LOL.

DR

Doug
08-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Gosh <blush> ... we sometimes roll as well! HO HO HO <santa laugh>!

You guys, rock! This site is a serious wealth of knowledge. Like I mentioned before, I've been going to the park since 1975, and I've learned things on here that I have NEVER known about Disneyland. That's the great thing about Disneyland, though. I notice something new every single time. Thanks again, all. You are officially my online Disney family!!! :D

DR

kimc0486
08-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Places also don't care if you buy kid meals for people who aren't kids. So kids meals are a good way to go and they're cheaper!

SCUBAbe
08-06-2005, 03:12 PM
when I'm out I don't eat much. $50.00 per day would be a huge amount. I might soend $50.00 per day on my daughter and myself. We sometimes eat breakfast $22.00 and then we won't be hungry for lunch...then we eat dinner $25.00 and thats it...we are not snackers. I can't remember the last time I bought food at the snack carts. Once and a while we will buy a water or soda. :)

sometimes we got o pizza port and share the pasta. There's no way i could ever eat a whole one. i can barely finish half and it's only $7.95...I think...:)

Wendi
08-06-2005, 03:15 PM
You can always bring a couple loaves of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and a jar of jam... the kids will be set for lunches!

hlbtimes2
08-06-2005, 03:40 PM
If there is a more expensive meal you want to try ( a character meal, blue bayou, etc) go for a late lunch. Plan to eat lunch around 3:30. You'll get the lunch price, but it will probably fill you up enough that you'll be able to get away with a snack at dinner time. I would plan a bigger breakfast that day, to hold you over.

I try to keep a few small things in the room for the kids to have when they wake up in the morning. Fruit, milk, muffins, cereal bars, etc. I give them that while we get ready. That holds them for a later breakfast. Which seems to hold them for an early dinner with a small snack mid day. So, essentially, we try to eat twice a day, and a couple snacks. It works for us. None of us are used to eating big meals 3 times day.

If you kids regularly throw 1/2 a meal away, plan on getting one for them to split. Maybe make it one adult meal, for the 2 kids to share. We often get meals for 2 adults and one child. Its more then enough for all 4 of us.

keschy
08-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Everything already mentioned will save you alot I'm sure. Also..does your hotel have continental breakfast? That's a great way to save on bfast and also you can often get PB & bread for sandwiches later. As others have said, most DL restaurants have very big portions that are easily sharable. We always share meals at BB.

Doug
08-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Another tip.... no need to buy water from the carts, walk into any of the Dland/DCA resturants and ask for a cup of/for water.... Free, why pay $5 for a bottle of water? If you want a bottle... bring a bottle with a large opening at the top, I like the the ones from Ultimate Direction (http://www.ultimatedirection.com/) to put the ice/water in....

GrumpyUTboi
08-06-2005, 04:50 PM
If you are driving to DL stock up on bottled water from Sam's Club or Costco. If your room has a little fridge fill it up.

Bring your own food from the outside. Go to a grocery store that is away from DL. Don't ever eat close to DL. We made the mistake of eating at IHOP and we have 4 kids 9,7,4,3 and the bill was $76.

Inside the park if you must eat we figured on $150 per day last year but we at the hotdog meal deals and such and it was $35 each time we ate. Again that was for 6 of us. We did splurge and eat at the BB.

If your hotel has the continetal breakfast load up before you go in, bring in your own food, fill up the water bottles at the drinking fountain but most of all have the time of your life!

Sailor Butterfly
08-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Yes, splitting meals is the best advice anyone can give! My bf and I try to split meals whenever we can, as neither one of us is a big eater.

Smeecanada
08-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Most of the meals can be shared especially between two kids. I've found that my family usually only eats two proper meals a day + snacks when we are on holidays. I'm figuring on about $125 a day for us. 2 Adults + 2 kids (9&10).

Goofy's Kitchen is good for an all you can eat place. If you have AAA you can get a 10% discount.

I've heard great things about Whitewater Snacks and will definitely be checking it out on our next trip.

http://www.dlresortinfo.com - great website that lists current/recent menus for the DLR.

------------
next trip Aug 28 - 22 more sleeps.

rentayenta
08-06-2005, 06:22 PM
My kids eat like birds too so here's what we have done:

Plaza Inn or French Market:They offer an adult fried chicken meal. The meal at the French Market comes with a salad and the one at the Plaza Inn comes with veggies. Anyway, you can sub the breast and thigh and ask for all legs. They will give you 6. It comes with fries or mashed as well. This can easily feed me and my three kids.

Rocket Redd's:The CMs will slice your pizza in as many portions as you need. On the last trip we shared one slice and a pasta for $14- and it's yummy too!

Snacks etc.,: The caramel apples as well as other snacks come in huge portions. I slice the caramel apples before we leave the shop in Pooh Corner and 2 apples will satisfy us easily. This way everyone is holding their own and no fighting ensues.

Stupid_American
08-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Will you have a car?
Are you considering taking a break from the parks?

millionairegirl
08-06-2005, 06:45 PM
My sister and I even share a Turkey Leg. That makes a really cheap lunch.

Besides sharing, you can also order double burgers and buy a bun separately for like 50 cents. Not too shabby. Also if there's a combo meal, you can say no chips/fries and they'll deduct the cost.

Also ice water is free!

Leli
08-06-2005, 06:49 PM
This (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/DisneylandMenus/dlmenus.html) might help a bit too. It has a list of all the restaurants, their menus, and their prices.

Disney4Me
08-07-2005, 12:32 AM
I was looking at my son at dinner and his extra roll. (off season for swimming and hockey) and had this terrible thought about a commercial.

"Just a shake for breakfast
a shake for lunch
and a light dinner"....I lost 10 pounds in just two weeks...give us a week we'll take off the weight! I think it was a Slimfast commercial.

Seriously though, I have read through some of the suggestions and there are some great ones we will use on our trip. The chicken leg one is fantastic because he will onlly eat legs. I am not a big eater and don't mind sharing. This trip should be easy. It is when he is a teenaged boy that I worry. I may have to get a second job to feed his stomache then.