PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Legs

Pages : [1] 2 3

disneyrand
08-05-2005, 07:44 PM
O.K. a couple of threads have mentioned the partaking of this fowl delight. I was wondering how much they are and how big. My kids can be satiated with the simplest things around luch time. Are they filling and and can they be had for less than an arm and a leg (pun intended) apeice? It's funny, I have been to the park numerous times and have never enjoyed one. I've seen the vendor, but I never seem to be "in the mood" for one or even hungry at the time.

DR

SCUBAbe
08-05-2005, 07:45 PM
O.K. a couple of threads have mentioned the partaking of this fowl delight. I was wondering how much they are and how big. My kids can be satiated with the simplest things around luch time. Are they filling and and can they be had for less than an arm and a leg (pun intended) apeice? It's funny, I have been to the park numerous times and have never enjoyed one. I've seen the vendor, but I never seem to be "in the mood" for one or even hungry at the time.

DR

they ar erhe size of a large turkey leg...about $6.00 i think and I have never had one. they do not look appetizing to me...

Gone2Disneyland
08-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Tried one, didn't like it. Needed salt I think, but generally it was kinda blah to me. But they sure seem to sell a bunch of those things all over the park. It's huge, I couldn't finish half, so for the money, $6 or $7, it's a damn bargain, and you might be lucky with getting a leg for your kids to share and fill them up.

Okay, now to try one of those chimichangas next. I think I'll like those a little better, and not just because they're a buck less. :)

AcuraTL
08-05-2005, 08:43 PM
I have almost everytime I am at the park. Yes, it is very delicious and tasty. If you remotely like turkey, you will love it. My wife doesn't like dark meat on turkey but even she was chowing on it. Yabba Dabba Doo.

kimc0486
08-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I've never had one, what makes them so special, are they bbq'd with sauce or what?

Leli
08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Okay, now to try one of those chimichangas next. I think I'll like those a little better, and not just because they're a buck less. :)

Don't do it.

blueckles
08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I tried one for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. There were three of us snacking on it and it was plenty enough to hold us over for a long time. It was really moist and the meat was just falling off the bone. I had always seen and never tried till then. I'm glad I did! :D

coronado_g
08-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Well, according to the threads, it looks like SactoGuy is the reigning "Turkey Leg King" after gobbling four (4) down in one day. Obviously that's quite an endorsement!
As for their price - $6 plus tax.
The chimichangas are $5 plus tax.

Gone2Disneyland
08-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Don't do it.

lol! Thanks for the advise. :)

Unfortunately, I have a fairness bug in me. So I gotta at least sample it so I can be truthful. Plus, they look like jumbo versions of those same fried burrito things I used to eat as a little kid at K-Mart many, many moons ago with my brother, so there's a hint of a nostalgia bug poking at me too to try them.

Gone2Disneyland
08-06-2005, 06:42 AM
I tried one for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. There were three of us snacking on it and it was plenty enough to hold us over for a long time. It was really moist and the meat was just falling off the bone. I had always seen and never tried till then. I'm glad I did! :D

See, I was afraid of this. I thought the one I had was rather dry too, making me think perhaps I didn't get an ideal one. I mean, they sell so many, I'm thinking they gotta be better than this. But due to my last experience, I'm in no hurry to try it again.

blueckles
08-06-2005, 07:06 AM
See, I was afraid of this. I thought the one I had was rather dry too, making me think perhaps I didn't get an ideal one. I mean, they sell so many, I'm thinking they gotta be better than this. But due to my last experience, I'm in no hurry to try it again.
I think you might have misunderstood me. I was saying that before I tried one, I had always thought they would be really dry and not so good. But when we did finally try it, it was very moist and very delicious. If I were you, I would definitely try it again. :D

AB29
08-06-2005, 08:01 AM

DR
I've eaten them in the Inn Between, and I always thought that they taste like ham.....IMHO

Stupid_American
08-06-2005, 08:05 AM
My wife and I split one.

http://home.pacbell.net/dagravy/leg20kb.jpg

SactoGuy
08-06-2005, 10:20 AM

DR

They were good :D !!!!!

I had one dry one but it was still good. Im going down again in october with my best friend and she's n eater soo maybe we will fit six in hahaha

jon80flt
08-06-2005, 11:20 AM
[Homer on]
MMMMmmmm.... Smoked Turkey Drumstick....aaaaaahhhh....
[Homer off]

I LOVE them! They are smoked, so they sort-a taste like ham....a little on the salty side (I don't add salt to things, so I have a low salt threshold)... they are big enough to satisfy a big guy... at $6, they are a bargain... no, they dont have BBQ sauce on them but the skin is very moist with flavor.

I'm very open to trying different foods... I LOVE Foods (see Big Guy reference above), but, I "second" the fact that the chimichangas are vile. :eek:

Jon

pisces
08-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Such a novelty. I'm beyond sick of the same 'ol turkey breast, that's not even hand carved----boring.

I'd much rather have dark meat----more juicier and tender.

My only question is where you would get these? Any 'ol cart? They are not visible on the churro carts, and I didn't see them available at French Market.

I have a difficult time having turkey without gravy. Is gravy offered?

TikiGeek
08-06-2005, 12:18 PM
They are delicious! (but salty :( ) They are brined before they are cooked, saw that on Food TV - so they do taste a lot like ham. There is a lot of variation in the moist/dry condition in which you receive them - The later in the day the dryer they get. But they are very good and ample for 2 people. :)

Stupid_American
08-06-2005, 12:30 PM
My only question is where you would get these? Any 'ol cart? They are not visible on the churro carts, and I didn't see them available at French Market.

I have a difficult time having turkey without gravy. Is gravy offered?
There are 2 carts I know exist now.
One is across from the Mark Twain / Columbia loading, and the other is across from the entrance to the Matterhorn Bobsleds, under the monorail tracks.
I haven't noticed the one at the hub for a while.

No gravy, but there's plenty of flavor without.

Hakuna Makarla
08-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Stupid American, you have a very pretty wife , and that turkey leg looks so yummy!!!

coronado_g
08-06-2005, 12:56 PM
lol! Thanks for the advise. :)
The advise regarding the chimichangas are lies! Lies! All lies!
Don't listen to the unfair maligning of the chimichangas.
They are delicious, I tell you!
The outsides are crispy and the insides are greasy and their even better than the ones from K-Mart.

Earkid
08-06-2005, 01:50 PM
The advise regarding the chimichangas are lies! Lies! All lies!<<snip>>..............The outsides are crispy and the insides are greasy and their even better than the ones from K-Mart.And this is supposed to entice me to eat them? :D

Bolding is mine.

disneyrand
08-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I'll have to admit to a weakness for chimis myself, so that will definitely be on the "to try" list. In all honesty, I'm just looking for things that will keep my kids happy on the cheap. We will be in the park for 5 days. I read in the trip planner, that you should budget for $50.00 a day per person for food in the park. It doesn't sound too horrible, but I've got a family of five. For 5 days that's $1250.00 just to eat! :eek: I'm fortunate that two of my kids (the girls) are pretty light eaters, so I'm looking for some things that will get them by during the mid-day that aren't terribly expensive. I hate going to Tommorrowland to buy them the burger and fries basket only to watch them eat half the burger and a handful of fries. I know my focus should just be on having a good time, but evrytime I see them throw away half their food, all I can see is about $9.00 being thrown into a garbage can.

I wish I could just freely spend on the trip and not stress about little things like that, but I don't have credit cards (and wouldn't use them if I did) and it's taken us an entire year to save up for this trip. We started paying for hotel rooms and plane tickets back in March. The last that we have been saving for is "spending money" for our trip. It's looking like we'll have about $2200.00 for the five days. I've promised my kids each $100.00 to spend on ANYTHING they want (last time I restricted their spending to items that I thought would be "worth it"). So, that leaves $1900.00 for food, someway to "specialize" my wife's birthday (August 19th) and "fun stuff" for the wife and I during our trip. Being that two of my kids are light eaters, I'm thinking this is the best way to cut some corners and focus our assets more on the experience rather than the garbage can.

Any pointers out there from you seasoned kid packers? This is only the second time I've taken my kids, so I'm not the seasoned veteran that one would expect from a guy that's been going since 1975.

Also are there any "reasonably priced" restaurants just outside the park that we could go to and return without too much delay? I know I'm going off topic a bit here, but this thread has just opened up a whole new world of questions for me. Thanks in advance to all you bargain tripsters who can help a stressing daddy out. ;)

DR

pisces
08-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I would say that the more snack-y type foods only add to your food bill. I would buy whole meals, and not snacks.

Simply bring your snacks from home, like banannas, apples, etc....all the hotels should have refrigerators in the rooms.

You can bring veggies from home, like carrots and green pepper.....then combine it with something like the Turkey Drumstick....and you've got somewhat of a meal for about 6$.... plus drinks.

Try to think in terms of buying meals only, and cut down on expensive snack-type foods by simply bringing those from home.

GrumpyUTboi
08-06-2005, 04:56 PM
There are 6 of us in the family. The DW and three younger ones share one leg and oldest DS and I share another. We buy two sodas and it feeds the whole family. Remember protien digest slower so the legs were great in that respect.

As for juicy, they definately are juicy but here is what I have found while eating my fair share of the legs. When you first bite into the leg it is flowing with juice and the meat is moist, meanwhile the leg is still hot. If you take your time to eat the leg then as the leg gets cooler the meat becomes a tad bit tough and dry. So to combat this we speed eat the legs and then feel like glutens for a couple of hours. Cavemenish of sorts.

merlinjones
08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
The turkey legs are delicious - a whole meal in itself for only $6. - - therefore one of the best deals in the park - - especially if you are low-carbing.