PDA

View Full Version : How do tourists find the magic?

Kelly Ann
08-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I was just discussing this over lunch with one of my friends who was with me on my 7/28 trip. I grew up at Disneyland and almost never go during the summer, let alone spend a full day there during the summer. Last week's visit was the first time I really saw it through the eyes of a tourist. It was so harried. It really impressed upon me how many people must go through the park like that each year, when they're there with family and kids and maybe only have one day to do whatever they can, and this miss the focus so many of us in here have. For too many it's just another money-grabbing vacation spot, and that makes me really sad.

There are so many people who can only visit during high attendance times, when so much of your focus is getting on and off rides, managing kids, coordinating times/cell phones/FPs. How do they find the magic? Those of you who've never lived near the park and make one annual pilgrimage during the summer... how did you find your magic there? How did you find in the midst of those summer crowds the heart and soul of the park that calls to your own soul and keeps you coming back? Was it a specific event, or something that built up over time? I'm curious...

SCUBAbe
08-05-2005, 06:23 PM
I was thinking the same thing as night fell upon the park and they started herding everyone around like cattle. That would be so frustrating and confusing to deal with. Also knowing how far in advance to sit for fireworks....but mostly the in through frontierland out through adventureland...past the out of tomorrowland past the statue to be dumped onto mainstreet....I don't like it and I know what to expect.

disneyrand
08-05-2005, 06:54 PM
I was just discussing this over lunch with one of my friends who was with me on my 7/28 trip. I grew up at Disneyland and almost never go during the summer, let alone spend a full day there during the summer. Last week's visit was the first time I really saw it through the eyes of a tourist. It was so harried. It really impressed upon me how many people must go through the park like that each year, when they're there with family and kids and maybe only have one day to do whatever they can, and this miss the focus so many of us in here have. For too many it's just another money-grabbing vacation spot, and that makes me really sad.

There are so many people who can only visit during high attendance times, when so much of your focus is getting on and off rides, managing kids, coordinating times/cell phones/FPs. How do they find the magic? Those of you who've never lived near the park and make one annual pilgrimage during the summer... how did you find your magic there? How did you find in the midst of those summer crowds the heart and soul of the park that calls to your own soul and keeps you coming back? Was it a specific event, or something that built up over time? I'm curious...

Honestly, I have been to the park one time that was not peak season (mid May 1991) in 30 years of going to the park (First trip was in 1975, I was 3). It was just eerily "empty". It was the ONLY trip to Disneyland that I have taken that I didn't particularly care for. It didn't help that Splash Mountain was closed down and something else, too (maybe Space Mountain). But, the park was so empty that it just didn't seem like Disneyland to me. That probably sounds odd to someone that can go anytime they please and enjoy the park when it's a little less hectic (which I'm sure they prefer), but in all honesty, the park has never seemed less magic to me than on that trip.

Sure we got to ride alot of rides (logest wait was MAYBE 10 minutes) and see everything that we wanted to see in a day, but just no magic. And, actually I'm glad that it was only a one day affair, because quite frankly, I couldn't have stomached 3 or 4 days of the park like that (call me crazy).

Back to the original question. It's easy to find the magic at the park, regardless of the time of year. For someone that lives out of state, I can personally tell you that I can alsmost SMELL Disneyland from the minute I hit California. Now, to be honest Iwas probably just "smelling" California. The smell is very distinct and I can start smelling it from the time we would be leaving Las Vegas (we used to travel from Wyoming). You might think I'm off my rocker, but I can smell it I tell you! The magic of Disneyland hits you the minute you can see the Matterhorn. The sounds of the train as you wait in line. Another thing that is "Magic" about the park is that fact that it isn't in our back yards! Some of us travel (or atleast used to) a VERY long ways to get to the park. We would leave from Wyoming, with my family, in a van and drive for two days just to arrive. By the time we actually got to our hotel and passed by the park the anticipation level was so high that you could cut the excitement with a knife! How do "tourists" find the magic? Are you crazy? It's probably more magical for us than it could EVER be for you (no disrespect intended at all). The crowds and heat are merely conditions of the experience. Of course we would al like to just be able to hop on a ride and see everything there is to see without "waiting forever", but to a lot of us that's just part of the gig. I have som many memories of folks that I have met while waiting in line at Disneyland. So many funny moments of girlfriends teasing their boyfriends and kids getting excited over the silliest little thing. To me that PART OF THE EXPERIENCE. I've met so many people from all over the world just by waiting my turn at BTMRR. Even had an "inimate encounter" with a girl that I met while waiting in line for POTC (hey, I was a "lively" teenager). Those are part of the experiences that I'll remember for the rest of my life. The magic of Disneyland is there to be had by all, I guess it just depends on your perpective. :)

DR

Smeecanada
08-05-2005, 08:18 PM
For us the crowds are just part of the magic. The magic for us begins when we've actually purchased the airline tickets or start planning the car trip. By the time we get there it is at such a high, that I can't sleep. I've been reading guide books and going all over the net for weeks and it won't be my first trip there. This will be my 10th and I'm still learning something new each time. People are asking us if we're crazy going in August but we don't have any choice anymore really now that our oldest is starting into the higher grades at school. I've been once in the off season and it was quiet and kind of eery - not much happening. Now, we are planning to go to the park mid-week this time around I'm not that crazy to do a Friday or Saturday. We are making a concession and going in on Sunday afternoon so not to miss MSEP. Can't come all that way and not see MSEP.

Only 23 more sleeps to go and we're there.

MsYumiBr
08-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I believe the crowds, the sun, the fireworks, and all the rides being open are a huge part of the magic. We went in February and it rained for 3 days straight. I felt cheated somehow. No fireworks, no sun, half the shows were cancelled, rides shut down due to wet floors, ack! So we planned another trip in July. It was well worth the hassle. I enjoyed being able to sit and talk to people as opposed to ride after ride because there was no line. We were in the fastpass line and a local in the stand-by line actually said, "She is totally a tourist". lol. I used to live in Costa Mesa and would go to DL for lunch because I worked in Orange. I've become a tourist!!! How did that happen? It must have been the hat. I had a San Diego Hat Co. hat which does look touristy. That hat was a total survey attention getter. I must have answered 10 surveys in 5 days we were there. Just me. Not anyone else in my party. Summer definitely has a different feel to it. We had a great time!

hlbtimes2
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
The ones that are unable to find the magic are the ones that dont return. They dont make it "their" vacation spot. They ask why the rest of us like it there, and claim they hate it.

We've all met that person at least once.

Those of us that find the magic make it a point to return countless times. We try to get others to come enjoy the magic with is. We try to convert those that have ill feelings for the park.

Susan L
08-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I also grew up on Disneyland. But now I don't get to go as often as I did when I was living in LA. We always do at least a week and in the off season. I don't like fighting the crowds. I think you are either going to feel the magic or you are not whether there are crowds or no crowds.

phoenixfire2k5
08-05-2005, 09:11 PM
They go to that little shop on Main Street next to the music shop. :p

Little tod
08-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Magic is actually sold for five dollars per quarter-pound in various candy shops around the park. It's bright purple, very squishy, and squeals when you poke it.

coronado_g
08-05-2005, 09:43 PM
It's easy to find the magic at the park, regardless of the time of year.

You might think I'm off my rocker, but I can smell it I tell you! The magic of Disneyland hits you the minute you can see the Matterhorn.

It's probably more magical for us than it could EVER be for you (no disrespect intended at all). The crowds and heat are merely conditions of the experience.

The magic of Disneyland is there to be had by all, I guess it just depends on your perpective. :)

DR
Disneyrand ~ Being a SoCal resident, I've never been one for going to DL during the peak summer season - however - I must say that you've written an EXCELLENT post about the tourist experience of feeling the magic!! Everything you wrote was very touchingly sincere and, no, I don't think you're off your rocker. I think it's sweet!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-05-2005, 09:57 PM
How do "tourists" find the magic? Are you crazy? It's probably more magical for us than it could EVER be for you (no disrespect intended at all). DR

I love your reply. Especially the part I quoted. And I agree, no disrespect to those that go all the time. But I don't think I would want to go more than 3 times a year. I am afraid it would lose its magic, somewhat. If it was something I could do all the time, without all the planning, without staying at the hotel, walking back to the hotel with the kids zonked out in the stroller, hanging on to the plush and wearing there mouse ears, without the anticipation in the morning and walking down Harbor Blvd. headed to the main gate, there wouldn't be as much magic. All those things are part of the magic. If I woke up at home, got in my own car and drove to the park and was home by 5, it wouldn't feel as magical. To me, anyway.
I grew up in Phoenix, AZ. We took a trip to Disneyland, at least once a year. We either drove or flew, usually drove. I remember how exciting it was, stopping in Blythe, seeing the windmills as we traveled across the desert. The anticipation about getting on I-5, and looking at every green sign to see the one that said Disneyland. Gosh I am getting excited just thinking about it. We rarely went during the busy time. And I rarely go then now. We went this spring break because my stepson was in college and wanted to join us. But we usually try to plan our trips when it isn't as busy. Mostly because we have kids and want to have a leisurely trip there and enjoy the park, not rush. That is also the reason why we plan our trip to have at minimum 3 days in the parks. Gives us time to do everything at a slower pace. We now live in Idaho, and Washington during the winter, and we are annual passholders. No we don't go weekly or even monthly. But we go enough to warrant having an annual pass. I love Disneyland. It is my favorite place to vacation. I don't see that EVER changing for me.

with_5
08-06-2005, 09:58 AM
When our son was little, we tried to do way too much in a small amount of time. The first time we took our girls, they were 2 & 3, we spent 5 days in both parks. We had such a great time being able to take our time and see/do everything. The past few years we have gong the week after Labor Day when the parks are not so crowded. This year will be our first time ever staying on property (and going in August) even though we have been going 1 to 2 times a year for the past 9 years. I think this is going to make it even more magical for all of us.

crazi4dlr
08-06-2005, 10:47 AM
While I agree that it can be hard to live the magic of the park while the crowds are so thick and the weather hot, the "magic" is in the park. I personally have yet to visit the park during the off season and I've been going since 1961. The magic for me starts when I get to So Cal. It seems to be in the air. Coming down I5 through the LA traffic only to hit Orange Co as the freeway opens up and then seeing the exit signs for Disneyland. Walking from the hotel to the park down Harbor and hearing the music as you enter the main gate. Walking through the gates, through the tunnel and then BAM! I'm on Main Street and I'm home. Every sight, smell, sound is magic to me. I can see and smell and hear it now as I am writing this. I have learned to take the crowds in stride and tune them out as I absorb the experience that is DL. I look at every window and look through every shop on my way through. Funny, I rarely ride the MS vehicles because I love the stroll so much. And then onto NOS for the same thing. Yes it's crowded and yes people are rushing around to get from one ride to another. Yes I love the rides but the older I get the more I appreciate my mom and dad's point of view, to sit in a shady spot and watch the world go by and enjoy the simple details that really do make up the magic. Maybe my folks passed onto us the magic because my siblings and I remember DL as a place where we all got along. And I know that I have passed it onto my kids because it's the place they all want to go for vacation.

uvsc_wolverine
08-06-2005, 01:12 PM
I agree with Lori. I am able to go to DL once a year, and I really look forward to my annual trip. The anticipation of going is part of the fun for me. If I lived near the park and could go any time I think it would lose some of the fun and excitement for me. However, at the same time - I am somewhat jealous of those of you who do have the luxury of being able to whenever you want.

dlgirl
08-06-2005, 02:04 PM
We are going to Disneyland next Tuesday and although we know it will be crowded, we will have no trouble at all "finding the magic". From the day we booked our trip, to counting down the days, to saving our money,to reading the boards, part of every day our thoughts have been about this holiday.

The minute our plane starts to descend and we see our first palm trees, the magic begins. And our first sight of Disneyland never fails to excite me. And once we walk through the tunnel into Main Street, we are home.

We have been off season several times, but when we come in the summer we stay for a least 8 days, and this year we have 6 day parkhoppers. That way we can enjoy the parks [yes we like DCA] and take the afternoons off to relax by the hotel pool and recharge our batteries.

We don't stress about the number of rides, although we love them all. We don't need the perfect place to see the fireworks or Fantasmic, and we don't have to be front row at the shows. Part of our fun is to sit and just enjoy the sounds and smells of the park, and people watching is alwas fun.

Please don't worry about we tourists; because we have to travel a long way and spend a lot of money to get there, we never take it for granted and appreciate the fact that through ups and downs of life, we are still able to spend time in the Happiest Place on Earth

MrsG
08-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I agree that the crowds (and the sun) are a part of the magic. I live nearby and can go any time of the year. Many nearby residents like to go during the rain because the crowds are low, but I hate that. First off, I don't find walking around all day wet and cold much fun. Even if you are wearing a poncho, something gets wet. Disneyland needs a sunny day! And during the rainy/off season, you just don't have the excitement and buzz of the summer/Christmas season.

Oh, and disneyrand, that smell you are smelling is probably smog. We used to drive down from Northern Calif, and when we came over the grapevine, it "smelled" like vacation (and Disneyland) to us. So I don't think you are crazy. When I go back "home" up north, the air smells different.

08-06-2005, 02:33 PM
We've all met that person at least once.

I married him!

disneyrand
08-06-2005, 02:47 PM
I married him!

We went one time with my uncle that is just a total scrooge when it comes to stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but "shiny, happy" just isn't his cup of tea (I actually feel sorry for the cantankerous bastage, sometimes).

He did his best to play "Grumpy" the entire time we were there. After about the first day we realised how this trip was going to go with him and just went about our business accordingly. Towards the end of the trip (when he realised that he was being excluded from the family fun), he warmed up a bit, but he's never returned to the park. He has a daughter the WE ended up taking (years later, she wasn't born yet for trip #1) because her father had no interest in returning. It was cool to see her have so much fun, but a little depressing because we knew that this would be the ONLY time she got to enjoy Disneyland as a child. She had blast, though, and it was well worth the "extra cramping" in the van.

DR

08-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Towards the end of the trip (when he realised that he was being excluded from the family fun), he warmed up a bit, but he's never returned to the park.

This is why some of us just go without DH or DW. Disney conversions do happen but they are few and far between.

disneyrand
08-06-2005, 03:15 PM
This is why some of us just go without DH or DW. Disney conversions do happen but they are few and far between.

Some peole allow themselves to get caught up in the magic and other's just refuse. I think the turning point for my uncle (atleast for the trip), though, was when Goofy started to play around with him a bit. My uncle was sitting on a bench (obviously pouting with is arms crossed) and Goofy came by. He sat down next to my uncle and started to mimic his posture. Then he'd glance over to make sure my uncle could see what he was doing. For about 3 minutes he sat there and aped my uncle's every move. When he was done he layed his head on my uncle's shoulder and gave him a great big hug. It was the first time on the entire trip that my uncle cracked a smile (a HUGE smile). He was livable from that point on, just goes to show how vital the cast members are to the experience. Without that incident, I could see that entire trip slowly turning into a nightmare. Goofy saved the day, and our vacation. If I knew who that guy was I would send him the Thank you card that all thank you cards would be judged by. A fantastic character, and a VERY funny guy.

DR

Kelly Ann
08-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Great responses. Neat story about Goofy, disneyrand! I've seen people just refuse to get caught up in the magic, but why would anyone do that to themselves? I don't get it!

Opus1guy
08-06-2005, 03:59 PM
How do tourists find the magic?

Why...with the help of an Enormous Crocodile and the Magic Finger (http://my.linkbaton.com/get?lbCC=q&nC=q&genre=book&item=0898458234), of course.

GrumpyUTboi
08-06-2005, 04:43 PM
We go at off peak times due to the large crowds. The large crowds make DL less magical. I used to go all the time as a kid living in SoCal but I had not been to DL for 25 years until two years ago.

Now we make our pilgramge to our Mecca and the magic starts when we drive out of our driveway and builds up until the next morning when we go to the park. The sounds of DL, the music, the characters and the look on the childrens faces, not only my kids but other kids as well. It brings back sweet memories of DL even the time that I got lost from my parents during the parade. I love the feeling of DL! I turn my cell phone off because out of the whole year I get this one week where I tell the 150 or so people that I will not be available for the whole week. Don't call.

Sailor Butterfly
08-06-2005, 04:45 PM
For me, that magical moment happened during my first trip in 1990. I had happened to look up before entering under the berm, and there it was- the plaque. THAT'S when I knew that this was a special place. Crowds, heat, pushy guests...they just melt away when I think of that plaque. :)