PDA

View Full Version : what's available at Disneyland for a 30th birthday celebration?

tnkrbll31
02-15-2002, 02:02 PM
I am coming all the way from Dallas, TX to take my boyfriend to Disneyland for his 30th birthday. I contacted Disney, but the only information they gave me was for a party for younger kids. Does anybody have any "inside knowledge" of something else that might be availble at California Adventures or Disneyland that would be fun and appropriate for a 30th birthday?

Also, they had said that you can get the little sticker at City Hall which entitles you to "special treatment," and I was wondering if anyone had actually gotten any "special treatment" with the sticker from the cast members.

Thanks for your help!

Ghoulish Delight
02-15-2002, 02:59 PM
We just celebrated another member's, cemeinke, 4th birthday (hey, 4 plus a 0 equals 4, right?). All it takes to have a special day for your birthday is that sticker and a good attitude.

Don't tell your boyfriend about this because it'd be more fun as a surprise to him, but if cast members notice the sticker, they'll give little perks. Examples from the day with cmeinke: Got to sit on top of the boat on Storybookland with the CM; the CM at the Gallery, above Pirates, forced us to sing happy birthday off the balcony so that everyone in New Orleans Square could hear, and he got a birthday call from Goofy himself!

So no, they won't give you free cake or anything like that, but the better cast members will go out of their way to help make it a birthday he won't forget.

One more piece of advice....party hats. It's just more fun wearing stupid party hats.

JoeCanadian
02-15-2002, 03:09 PM
The one experience my brother had with the birthday sticker at Disneyland was not all that good.

I hyped him up about what could happen...and you know what? The only "nice" thing to happen was a nice elderly CM at Star Tours saying Happy Birthday. No one else even bothered saying a thing. We weren't expecting them to give us the world, but having more than one CM say Happy Birthday would've been nice.

I suppose the park must've been having an "off" day.

cyberRoo
02-15-2002, 03:18 PM
The birthday sticker tends to have varying results, but it's a nice keepsake if nothing else. Personally, I would vote for personalized Mouse Ears over party hats, but that might just be me.

And, there are lots of ways to make any visit to Disneyland special, that are especially nice for a birthday. Do a Character Breakfast, so he can carry a balloon around all day. Depending on when you go, I highly recommend the Fantasmic balcony dessert thingy as a special treat for a birthday. Make lunch reservations at the Blue Bayou (always lunch!). Ask to ride in the front of the monorail (that birthday sticker should help with that).

If you're really into having a one-of-a-kind experience, and don't mind paying for it, I'm sure that the wedding/engagement people would be happy to help you with a birthday...

Good luck!

awinner
02-15-2002, 11:03 PM
If you call ahead of time the Plaza Inn, will arrange a birthday cake with balloons & sometimes a couple of characters.

HBTiggerFan
02-16-2002, 12:40 PM
I have had 2 experiences. One was with me, every CM I ran into said Happy Birthday to me, got lots of free goodies...candy etc..Was told I would get cake when we went to dinner at Cafe Orleans but they never brought it out like the order person said.
The other time was with my friends sisters (7 or 8y/o) they got sung to, cake with dinner free stuff, embarrassed beyond belief when the CM in autopia stopped the line so EVERYONE would sing to them.

Dlandmom
02-16-2002, 02:49 PM
Blue Bayou for a meal is a great idea! Fantasmic balcony is also a great idea. I figure if you both like Disneyland, 'nuf said!

dcadon
02-17-2002, 07:38 PM
Incidentaly, about the balloon. I heard that it is against the law to inhale the helium inside a balloon for recreational purposes. Hope this helps to avoid a mishap.

And be sure to check out Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe in Frointierland. Birthday or not those guys rock.

-Don

Dlandmom
02-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah, speaking of the Golden Horseshoe, make sure you check out The Laughing Stock performing right outside...those guys are just amazing!

tnkrbll31
02-18-2002, 06:45 AM
I don't know if I can get him to wear a birthday hat, but that's a great idea--or mouse ears with a big 30 on the back is fantastic!!! I don't think he'd be too into the whole character birthday thing, but everything else sounds great. I appreciate your replies.

Anything else anybody can think of?

tnkrbll31
02-25-2002, 01:33 PM
get this up top again. I wondered if anybody else had any info.

Thanks!

jslivinski
03-21-2002, 09:34 AM
I don't have any ideas for you, I'm a quite sort of person. But, this post sends this thread back to the top and maybe someone else will have some other ideas for you.

tnkrbll31
03-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I just got back from Disneyland this week. It's the first time I've been since I was 8. I go to WDW at least once a year and wanted to see California Adventures.

Unfortunately, the birthday sticker didn't entitle us to any special treatment. My boyfriend had a few people tell him Happy Birthday, but that was about it. They wouldn't even let him in the Hot Seat on Millionaire or sit in the ring of fire. I wish Disney had some alternatives for older people celebrating their birthday. When we're at The World we get a lot more birthday attention.

And most of what was said on this board about CA is true. It really isn't up to the Disney standard.

cstephens
03-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by tnkrbll31
Unfortunately, the birthday sticker didn't entitle us to any special treatment. My boyfriend had a few people tell him Happy Birthday, but that was about it. They wouldn't even let him in the Hot Seat on Millionaire or sit in the ring of fire. I wish Disney had some alternatives for older people celebrating their birthday.

Wearing a birthday sticker shouldn't entitle anyone to special treatment, beyond a "happy birthday" from CMs, which I believe they're supposed to do. They don't ask for ID when people ask for a sticker - they just give them out. If there were special treatment attached, they'd have to ask for proof and then it would become this whole thing. It's just for fun. About the most I've gotten is free dessert at a few of the DL restaurants, but I didn't expect them - it was nice of them to do.

/cs

Nigel2
03-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by tnkrbll31
They wouldn't even let him in the Hot Seat on Millionaire or sit in the ring of fire. I wish Disney had some alternatives for older people celebrating their birthday.

Well I could see them not letting him in the hotseat since you have to "earn" your way there. But with the ring of fire some of the CMs let a birthday person in some dont, it all depends on who holds the tickets.:)

MonorailMan
03-22-2002, 05:36 AM
When I was there on my b-day, I was told "Happy Birthday" so many times I lost count after 78. :)

Sure makes you feel special. :)