PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland is expensive

Pages : [1] 2 3

moriaman14
08-04-2005, 08:21 AM
I have heard sooo many complaints on how expensive it is to get into the park and how that much money is not worth it. Personally (even though it is pricy) id pay anything to go to disneyland. I just guess it isnt worth it for other people cause they dont see the magic.

CoasterChickie
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Everything is expensive these days. If you go to a movie for two hours it costs you almost $10 for a ticket so if you consider that you can get as many as 16 hours of entertainment in DL for as little as $53, it's really not that bad!

stan4d_steph
08-04-2005, 08:28 AM
When you consider what it cost to get into the park not that long ago, it seems that admission is going up a lot. It is expensive to go to DL, especially if you factor in food, drinks and souvenirs.

I counted myself lucky that I was able to afford an AP and go as often as I did when I lived in OC, but I know that I spent a lot on "stuff" that did put a strain on my wallet at times.

Mommy2NicknMax
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM
I think it depends on how much it's worth to *you*. Some people don't put as much need into going to Disneyland and therefore it's expensive to them.

Like for me, Disneyland is not expensive but make up at Sephora is. LOL! I don't wear make up (much) so I don't feel the need to spend $$$ there. But to other people it's worth it.

hlbtimes2
08-04-2005, 08:38 AM
I dont really think, compared to other things, that its that bad.

We went to a small county fair a couple weeks ago. It was $7 to get in. Not bad. But, the kids wanted rides. It was $20 for a wrist band for unlimited rides. It was good from 6pm - 10pm. Thats $5 per hour (plus the cost to get in) if they rode the entire time. I didnt have $40 to spend, so I spent $20 and they each got 2 rides. How crazy is that?

We've recently checked in to going to Wild Waves (a six flags water and amusement park). Its about $30 a day. They are open for about 10 hours a day. So about $3 an hour if you stayed all day.

Disneyland is $53 a day (if you only go one day- we are paying $160/170 for 5 days- so only about $35 a day). They are open for about 16 hours a day this time of year. A little less during the off season. Even if they were open the 10 hours like wild waves, we still get WAY more for our money. Fireworks, parades, shows, rides- two full parks worth. They offer things for everyone! I really dont think its a bad value at all.

CoasterChickie
08-04-2005, 08:41 AM
One way I cut down on spending money on souvenirs at DL is to go to the Disney Store right before my trip. I look at all the merchandise there and see what they are charging and keep that in mind when I am looking around the shops at the resort. I think the only things I come home with anymore are one or two new pins and maybe some Mickey Mouse earrrings or toe rings....all for under $25.

The price of the food is what gets to me, but there are even ways to make that a little less expensive.

VickiC
08-04-2005, 08:42 AM
This summer I bought myself and my daughters season passes to Wild Rivers, a water park not too far from Disneyland for 59.00 each. A better value than Disneyland for us for the summer. The kids have more fun getting wet when it is hot and they can go on the same water slides hundreds of times without getting bored. Some friends of ours also bought tickets and we are trying to meet there a couple of times a week.

Disney Vault
08-04-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't think DL costs too much either. It is all worth it imo and you are paying for the best.

disney jones
08-04-2005, 09:09 AM
when you consider all the shows and entertainment available along with the rides, the price of admission is very,very inexpensive especially with an AP.

What gets expensive is all the other stuff, as mentioned above, plus lodging. the only way we can afford to go as out-of-staters regularly is to camp - a camp spot costs less than $40 a night.

yes, we'd prefer to stay on-property, but we can camp in OC 5-6 nights usually for the price of one night at DLR Hotels. "roughing it" has some disadvantages, but then again, the experience of falling asleep listening to the waves and waking up on a beach right next to the Pacific Ocean can't be replicated on-property.

And as mentioned, food is also costly - by bringing in snacks and juices it also helps to keep costs down. and stay away from souveneirs :eek: they are totally discretionary and way over-priced - it's the freebeis (like maps) and pictures that make the most treasured memories anyway.

Disneyland itself is a great bargain.

08-04-2005, 09:16 AM
We actually did okay on the food part, thanks to the great tips from MousePadders. (Share orders, Redd Rockett's, how to ask for water)

hlbtimes2
08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
We dont find the food to be that much more expensive then eating out in our area. The only thing that makes it seem expensive is eating 2-3 meals and snacks everday, for a few days in a row.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-04-2005, 09:37 AM
I bought an annual pass this year, even though I live in Seattle. I figure it was WELL worth the money for the 8 days we went to the park, plus, we plan to return in October. The money part is just factored in, with the cost of the wonderful times we have at the park. I never even think about how costly it is, because I have so much fun! ha!

TikiGeek
08-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Let's face it, almost everything in SoCal is expensive - I think Disneyland admission prices (one day and AP's) are a bargain. Entertainment prices here are ridiculous - I paid $105 (x2) for concert tickets last week and those weren't even the best seats.

Food prices at DLR are pretty close to what you pay in San Diego:
Burger and Fries-
Taste Pilot's Grill - $7.99
Island's - $7.99

I could give more examples but why bother - bottom line:
Don't go crazy, set a budget, stay off-site, split portions etc. and you'll find that it's not as expensive as you might think - comparatively. :)

Darkbeer
08-04-2005, 09:39 AM
FYI, a one day ticket to DL is now $56.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-04-2005, 09:39 AM
yes, we'd prefer to stay on-property, but we can camp in OC 5-6 nights usually for the price of one night at DLR Hotels. "roughing it" has some disadvantages, but then again, the experience of falling asleep listening to the waves and waking up on a beach right next to the Pacific Ocean can't be replicated on-property.

Disneyland itself is a great bargain.

Just wait til those girlies of yours hit their teens...camping out may no longer be an option for Disney Dad! :) Waking up hearing the ocean....that sounds like an absolute DREAM to me. Ahhhhhhh! Nice visual to start my day!

T&Rshep
08-04-2005, 09:40 AM
You can't put a price on great memories. I can't even remember the last time I took a trip anywhere else beside DL or WDW. Another thing about the souvenirs is to go to the Disney's Warehoue Outlet Store in Fullerton (which is 2 miles north of DL on Harbour Blvd). They are located in the Orangefair Mall and sell overstocked and last season souvenirs for dirt cheap. There's also one in Kent, WA for those who are in the Northwest.

hlbtimes2
08-04-2005, 09:44 AM
There's also one in Kent, WA for those who are in the Northwest.

There is? Where? Do you mean the one that is at the Auburn Supermall now and then, or is there another one I'm missing out on?

mad4mky
08-04-2005, 10:48 AM
I always overspend at DLR.

Always.

I tell myself I will go and will NOT buy any souvenirs. And then, I look into the 14kt gold jewelry case at the jewelers on Main Street. :rolleyes:

That usually does it for me. :(

And then, I am in such a good mood...if one of my girls says "Can I have that?". Sure...why not...??!!

I am BAD at DLR...bad I tells ya. :rolleyes: ;)

Matt Hamand
08-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Food prices at DLR are pretty close to what you pay in San Diego:
Burger and Fries-
Taste Pilot's Grill - $7.99
Island's - $7.99
You pay extra for fries at Island's.

Back on topic, my wife and I try not ot spend to much at DL. Mostly just food. Occasionally souveniers. And if there are new LEGO sets we like at the store in Downtown Disney, that can be dangerous.

Rteneyck
08-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't find the admission expensive because there is so much to do, but the food and drinks - ouch! The water bottles alone can break you. Even if you bring your own water - it gets hot and stuff and plus you'll be lugging around all of that weight everywhere.

markarkaymat
08-04-2005, 11:16 AM
You can't put a price on great memories.
I agree...It is expected to pay a little more while on vacation. Nothing extremely extravagant that will put you in the red (well not for too long anyway) but just little things to help make the memories not focused on saving money but on enjoying yourselves.

TikiGeek
08-04-2005, 11:19 AM
You pay extra for fries at Island's. Point missed :|

BTW - You can get a "side" of fries without buying the "frigg'in huge" basket - just ask.

The point is - lunch costs about the same - O.K. :rolleyes:

08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
The point is - lunch costs about the same - O.K.

Okey doke, got it! No sticker shock for food at DL, not really.

For souvenirs, there are some nice, inexpensive ones. I'm thinking of the silhouettes on Main Street. Any others that really stand out?

Earkid
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
For souvenirs, there are some nice, inexpensive ones. I'm thinking of the silhouettes on Main Street. Any others that really stand out?Pressed pennies/ coins. Get one or two of fav characters or a fav ride.

pisces
08-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Yes, it's definitely too expensive. But my motto has always been: Don't fault enterprise. If they can get people to come there, including me, even with the outrageous prices.....more power to 'em.

It's all 'bout supply and demand. Right now there seems to be a demand that outweighs the prices.

There's no incentive for them to do roll-backs. The beauty of the supply and demand marketplace is that customers set the prices, and vote with their feet. And, it seems customers are more than willing to sacrifice to meet their price points. I know I am, right now.

....Not forever, though.