PDA

View Full Version : When you ride "it's a small world"...

Pages : [1] 2 3

tbminnie
08-03-2005, 09:04 AM
What message do you think the ride is trying to send? An optimistic view of a world full of peace? Or a sad, heart wretching ride of how the children of the world are not in a position to prevent war and the other horrible acts adults inflict on each other?

Osky
08-03-2005, 09:06 AM
The first!

Susan L
08-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Optimistic view of world peace. When do you suppose that will really happen?

potzbie
08-03-2005, 09:18 AM
What message do you think the ride is trying to send?

To dress up smiling dolls ...
... in their native constumes ...
... dancing and singing ...
... in a stylized toyland environment ...
... with a catchy tune playing all the while ...
... as the audience moves from "continent to continent," ...
... via a ferry boat, floating slowly from exhibit room to exhibit room ...
... surely must be seen for what it really is:

• A cruel, insane plot.

The message?
• Communist revolutions; anarchy bombings; wanton destruction.
• Political machinations of man's inhumanity to man.
• Hopelessness, desperation, a hellish environment, rife with random violence.

Yeah. -- And you can buy a doll, constumes, and a board game, in the gift shop, as you leave!

Viva La Revolucion!

AcuraTL
08-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I take my kids to the ride to enjoy the air conditioning when it is super hot outside and to show them where Greg Brady surfs at.

tbminnie
08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
LOL!! :D

I take my kids to the ride to enjoy the air conditioning when it is super hot outside and to show them where Greg Brady surfs at.

Camthalio
08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
A multicolored world full of music, children and harmony. A place where everything is like it actually should be everywhere. I like that ride and the song! *lalala*

disneyperson
08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
I was really upset to see that many people had spit on, and thrown water bottles and dirty napkins at the painting of the Arab child near the ride's entrance. really, really sad.

AcuraTL
08-03-2005, 10:02 AM
I was really upset to see that many people had spit on, and thrown water bottles and dirty napkins at the painting of the Arab child near the ride's entrance. really, really sad.

Really? I didn't notice it when I was there in June. That's sad really because kids shouldn't be exposed to that kind of garbage.

Black Pearl
08-03-2005, 10:03 AM

WHAT?!?!? That is horrifying. Ugh. Did they not just ride "It's a Small World"?

Vegitabeta
08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
It's a brainwashing device :|

But a nice one :)

AcuraTL
08-03-2005, 10:07 AM
But nothing is cuter than hearing my 3 1/2 year old son sing It's a Small World out of the blue sometimes. :)

disneyperson
08-03-2005, 11:15 AM
WHAT?!?!? That is horrifying. Ugh. Did they not just ride "It's a Small World"?Actually, it's just as they are about to ride it. I'm sure the staff cleans it up on a regular basis, but there was a definite mess there on the weekend of the 17th (I don't remember which day) and the mess was located in only one tiny spot.

EeyoreAdorer
08-03-2005, 11:19 AM
It's adorable and spirit-lifting. My DH took me to DL on our 1st wedding anniversary just so I could go on IASW....I was pregnant with my DD at the time.

It must have worked some mojo on her, too, as she's 19 now and a TOTAL Disney fanatic :)

Black Pearl
08-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Actually, it's just as they are about to ride it. I'm sure the staff cleans it up on a regular basis, but there was a definite mess there on the weekend of the 17th (I don't remember which day) and the mess was located in only one tiny spot.

Hate, no matter how tiny is still hate. I would GO NUTS if I saw that being done.

GrumpyUTboi
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
I think that DL has a hidden agenda with IASW. The hidden agenda is that they dislike children and that they think that kids are annoying and that kids repeat the same thing over and over again and we would understand it even if it is in an other language. ;)

T&Rshep
08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
At night when the lines aren't so long. Also, if you go at night the song doesn't get stuck in your head the entire day, just the entire evening.

08-03-2005, 01:00 PM
What message do you think the ride is trying to send? An optimistic view of a world full of peace? Or a sad, heart wretching ride of how the children of the world are not in a position to prevent war and the other horrible acts adults inflict on each other?

It isn't an "or"; it's an "and". Search no farther than the lyrics:

It's a world of laughter, a world of tears
A world of hope and a world of fears

coronado_g
08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
It isn't an "or"; it's an "and". Search no farther than the lyrics:

It's a world of laughter, a world of tears
A world of hope and a world of fears
Yes, the entire world. And not just the land continents but the entire world. The mermaids and mermen sing too!

SallySkellington
08-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Actually, it's just as they are about to ride it. I'm sure the staff cleans it up on a regular basis, but there was a definite mess there on the weekend of the 17th (I don't remember which day) and the mess was located in only one tiny spot.GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Rteneyck
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Love this ride. My hubby proposed to me on this ride. Always gives me a mushy feeling in my tummy...... :)

dsnyredhead
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
My dh proposed to me on this ride as well....and of course, it was the first attraction (other than the tram ;) ) that my son rode at around 3 months old.

EeyoreAdorer
08-03-2005, 03:15 PM
I think that DL has a hidden agenda with IASW. The hidden agenda is that they dislike children and that they think that kids are annoying and that kids repeat the same thing over and over again and we would understand it even if it is in an other language. ;)

too funny....

Earkid
08-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Yes, the entire world. And not just the land continents but the entire world. The mermaids and mermen sing too!May fav part. I love the Christmas version when they sing "Jingle Shells"!!

HorizonsA
08-03-2005, 06:13 PM
The problem is that most people don't get the message or even think there is one. I get really tired of people who openly express their dislike in "it's a small world." The only reason I can think of is that they just don't like the song. But I also think that they obviously don't know what the song means. They don't know why this particular type of attraction was built in the first place. Granted, people are allowed to dislike attractions all they want (I'm not to fond of Innoventions, myself). Originally, Small World was to feature children singing their own national anthem, but the result was chaos. Walt Disney turned to the Sherman Brothers to compose a song for the whole attraction where all the children of the world can sing as One.
I get annoyed when people call Small World a baby ride, or a kiddie ride. It isn't. It's for everyone. Every attracttion has a target audience, right; I think Small World's target is everyone.