PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on the Candy Cane Inn

Pages : [1] 2

babytmakes5
08-03-2005, 07:35 AM
hello all! i'm in the preliminary stages of planning our spring 2006 visit to DL, and we are still trying to figure out if we want to stay at the grand californian, or save some money and stay at a "good neighbor" hotel. what do you all think of the candy cane inn? i remember passing by it when i was a kid and wanting to stay there so bad! do all the rooms have the shutter and down comforters?--ie, are they all as nice as the pictures online? is the walk no longer than it would be to walk to the disneyland hotel? need good, honest opinions from those have stayed there....thanks!

trina

Leash81
08-03-2005, 07:48 AM
If you can afford the GCH than that would be my first choice. However I have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn 5 times in the past 2 years and am planning at least 2 more stays this year. I really like being able to walk into the room and know it will be a nice, clean room and not have to worry about bugs or anything gross like that. Yes all the rooms look like the ones online with the shutters and comforters. Out of all the times we have stayed there we have never had any kind of problem. The walk is really not bad at all but the shuttle is also very nice if your feet are too sore to walk and it runs every 30 min or so. I have never eaten at the continental breakfast, not a breakfast person, but I have gotten some juice there and looked around and it is pretty nice but you need to get there early or it gets packed.

kohl
08-03-2005, 08:43 AM
I have never stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, but I would stay at GCH. My family really loves this place. We always try to stay there if we can.

Christiii
08-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Okay, dont mean to always be the Hojo spokesmodel here...but I think the Hojo bets the Candy Cane by a mile!! It usually less money, and the rooms and grounds are MUCH nicer. Ive stayed at the Candy Cane, and, dont get me wrong, the rom ws cute...but it seriously was THE smallest room Iver er seen...almost no room for anything but the two beds and armoire..seriously!
Als, its a motel, with outdoor hallways, and the pool is surrounded by the parking lot...yuck.
The Hojo has two beautiful pools, pretty grounds with twinkly lights, 6 buildings to choose from and the rooms look to my like the rooms at the Disneyland hotel only larger....also you have a little balcony so you can really sit and watch the fireworks if you arnt at the park...since you are right across from the Matterhorn..the view it great!!
Not only do you not have a balcony at the CC but your window looks ou onto the public hallway..which always creeps me out..guess I saw "Joy Ride" too many times, but I like an indoor hallway!! hehe
Seriously, my mom and I have tried most all the little hotels on Harbor, and the only one we will stay at now is the Hojo...plus...the staff is so so nice!! :D
Just another thought for ya....

Mark Mywords
08-03-2005, 12:07 PM
We're going with the Candy Cane this time and looking forward to it. I was torn between Hojos and the Candy Cane, but had to go with the lower price.

Don't know if it's my imagination, but it seems like it's getting harder to get non-freeway facing rooms for a decent price at Hojos nowadays...

GrumpyUTboi
08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Tropicana Inn & Suites is our choice. Making the walk late at night from the park with 4 littls ones was such a challenge and ART stops running 1/2 hour I believe after the park closes. But to stay right across the street, which is a short walking distance to the park is the best. Cheaper prices than HOJO and GC. How much time do you plan on spending in the room? For us it was long enough to get 7-8 hours of sleep and 1 hour to get ready to spend 12-14 hours at the park. So spending $250 a night or $79 a night for a room that you may not get to enjoy.

My best friend ALWAYS stays at the Candy Cane Inn. He loves it that much.

richas
08-03-2005, 01:04 PM
We stayed at the Candy Cane several years ago. We were above the pool and the was quite a lot of noise. Also stayed at Hojo's last April and I don't get the attraction. I got a room at the last minute (bldg 2?) and it was just so so. It was Spring break so it was about $100 and definatly NOT not worth it. We like Coast Anaheim.

hlbtimes2
08-03-2005, 01:13 PM
You might want to look at the reviews here at MP, and at www.tripadvisor.com

AVP
08-03-2005, 01:14 PM
The Fabulous MousePlanet Review System has 20 reviews on the Candy Cane Inn (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlra_candycaneinn). At the moment, CCI has a higher review score (4.4 Planets) than the Howard Johnsons (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrahjph) (4.3. down from 4.6 in January.)

In fact, it looks like there is a big change in reviews in the past 7 months. The last 10 CCI reviews averaged 4.8 Planets, the last 10 HoJos reviews averaged just 3.5 Planets.

AVP

Christiii
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
We stayed at the Candy Cane several years ago. We were above the pool and the was quite a lot of noise. Also stayed at Hojo's last April and I don't get the attraction. I got a room at the last minute (bldg 2?) and it was just so so. It was Spring break so it was about $100 and definatly NOT not worth it. We like Coast Anaheim.
oh thats so funny!! I was just forced at gunpoint to stay at the Coast and HATED it...thought it was awful!! haha....just goes to show ya, different strokes huh?? I must say tho, I hate building two at the Hojo...wont stay in that one...too far back there!! Hope you didnt get a freeeway view..ugh!

babytmakes5
08-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Als, its a motel, with outdoor hallways, and the pool is surrounded by the parking lot...yuck.
i think if we booked a room, i would be disappointed with the "motel" feel of of the CC. it's funny when you look at photos online, they don't show that at all--so glad you warned me! we stayed at the disneyland hotel last time, and i would rather stay there again if it meant being in a motel otherwise. when we were on our trip last year, we promised ourselves we would treat the family to the GC next time around--we just loved the atmosphere of the lobby and restuarants, and the close proximity is wonderful with children. but, i'm torn now; i want to save money and choose a less expensive hotel than the GC, but i also want to feel like i am on vacation. being on vacation means staying in a nice hotel, even if i'm hardly in the room. we will spend more time in our room than some people, as our three year old will need naps on most days while we are there. but disneyland is what we want to see and where we want to spend our money--i don't want to spend hundreds of dollars more just to have mickey mouse labels on my shampoo bottles. i think we'll also consider the hojo--so many people here like it. the reviews as of late don't sound that great, but maybe if we check in early we can get a really good room there. thanks for the advice!

trina

GrumpyUTboi
08-04-2005, 06:58 AM
yea while you sleep for 8 hours completely unconcious you would get that motel feel. Plus the difference of what $175 per night is also worth not having the motel feel while I spend the whole time sleeping. Hey does the Disney Resort hotels give you a free breakfast in the morning or do you have to go and spend $70 for a family of six. Oh wait, a continental breakfast would have that motel feel to it. I'd rather spend $500 for a weeks worth of breakfast plus an extra $700 on the room that I spend 9 hours a day in just not to have the motel feel.

DangerMouse
08-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Trina, don't hesitate to email Willie Simpson at the HoJo. (william.simpson@hojoanaheim.com) He is super accommodating to all specific requests. I just finished emailing with him for our trip in December. We ended up getting a room for $49 a night with the Entertainment Book discount. It's not a premium room, but we've had that before, so don't mind not having it this time around.

I would say the very best rooms at the HoJo are in Building 1, facing the lobby (away from the freeway side) on the 5th-7th floors. These are considered premium rooms because they have a Disney view. They are great rooms, very large and clean and comfortable. I never felt the walk was too much. The one and only drawback at the HoJo is the lack of microwaves in all their rooms. They only offer a microwave in their home office rooms. :( I'll be bringing my own microwave in December.

I stayed at the GCH in June with my daughter for her birthday, and I can honestly say I wasn't all the impressed with the actual room. The resort itself is gorgeous, but we weren't spending much time there, so it didn't make it worth it for us. I will be staying at the HoJo from now on!

Good luck with your trip planning!

:D

Pat-n-Eil
08-04-2005, 08:00 AM
yea while you sleep for 8 hours completely unconcious you would get that motel feel. Plus the difference of what $175 per night is also worth not having the motel feel while I spend the whole time sleeping. Hey does the Disney Resort hotels give you a free breakfast in the morning or do you have to go and spend $70 for a family of six. Oh wait, a continental breakfast would have that motel feel to it. I'd rather spend $500 for a weeks worth of breakfast plus an extra $700 on the room that I spend 9 hours a day in just not to have the motel feel.

Not everything is defined purely by money. If you want to spend your vacation dollars for premium acoomodations, go for it. I justify it myself becasue of the enhanced FastPass. Other folks have other equally appealing reasons to them. Sometimes God is in the details.

Quit being so Grumpy about it. ;)

Christiii
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM

Well, I for one care more about the "safety" feel...and outdoor hallways always give me the Yeeps!! Im not that skittish, but going to bed and knowing someone can get into my room by just prying open a window is creepy...especially If Im paying over $100 a night for it...yuck....JMHO..and a lot of people love the CandyCane!!
Danger Mouse is right about building 1 at the Hojo...but also ask for the skylight rooms...thnk they are building 4 maybe?? they are the other upgrade, and have high ceilings and look over the pretty pool and park view...those rooms are neat too!!
Basically there are other options besides going to GCH, and paying that much. One thing that always is important to ME tho, is indoor hallways and a pool that doesnt smell like exhaust fumes from the cars surrounding it....but thats just me...if you can get the Entertainment Rate for the Hojo, or close to it, go for it!! Its a nice place, and to get it for under $75..really anywhere at DL is amazing!! Also, they dont charge a resort fee or parking fee and that is something that some of the hotels hit you with one you check in....and its per nite!! ugh! :(

OregonGary
08-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree with Pat & Eil. To some people not everything is defined purely by money.

I stayed at the GC on 7/15-20/05. My oldest daughter and her husband stayed at the CC during the same time period. My youngest daughter is pregnant and lives just outside the LA basin area and came in to see us every day.

I walked to the CC with my daughter for something one night and got see their room. It was nice, clean, and they had no problems with noise, but they were in the back, and on the 2nd floor. I can't remember if it looked small. I can ask her if it is important. We also walked to Mimi's at Hojo's for dinner one night and I would say the walk to either place seemed to be about the same.

However, we all used the GC as a central place of meeting and relaxation. My pregnant daughter would even use the pool when I wasn't there simply by using my room key and she and her husband would use my room to take a nap in the afternoon. Especially on the afternoon of 17th after spending all night in DCA on the 16th.

When I take a vacation I like to stay in a resort environment and used all the facilities of GC a lot. I know I paid for this, but again, to some people, not everything is defined purely by money.

It just depends upon how you want to spend your money on your vacation and what type of vacation experience you want to have.

disneymeimei
08-04-2005, 11:14 AM
i think if we booked a room, i would be disappointed with the "motel" feel of of the CC. it's funny when you look at photos online, they don't show that at all--so glad you warned me! we stayed at the disneyland hotel last time, and i would rather stay there again if it meant being in a motel otherwise. when we were on our trip last year, we promised ourselves we would treat the family to the GC next time around--we just loved the atmosphere of the lobby and restuarants, and the close proximity is wonderful with children. but, i'm torn now; i want to save money and choose a less expensive hotel than the GC, but i also want to feel like i am on vacation. being on vacation means staying in a nice hotel, even if i'm hardly in the room. we will spend more time in our room than some people, as our three year old will need naps on most days while we are there. but disneyland is what we want to see and where we want to spend our money--i don't want to spend hundreds of dollars more just to have mickey mouse labels on my shampoo bottles. i think we'll also consider the hojo--so many people here like it. the reviews as of late don't sound that great, but maybe if we check in early we can get a really good room there. thanks for the advice!

trina

Trina,

We were at the GCH a couple of weeks ago. It was expensive but well worth it.

We would go to the park early, when it started getting hot and crowded we went through DCA, through the DCA entrance turned the corner and went right up to our room. We had an amazing view of Grizzly Peak. We sat out on the little deck. We were able to still be in the atmosphere while resting in our room. The hotel has a nice pool for little ones.

It was very relaxing and had a wonderful "vacation" feel.

MeiMei

PennyLane
08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, I for one care more about the "safety" feel...and outdoor hallways always give me the Yeeps!! Im not that skittish, but going to bed and knowing someone can get into my room by just prying open a window is creepy...especially If Im paying over $100 a night for it...yuck....JMHO

I totally agree. I always travel with either my sister or a girlfriend (my husband doesn't like to go to Disneyland very often :confused: ), and I would not feel safe in an "outdoor motel" type of place. Not that there is anything wrong with it- but I can find a place that feels safer-and is usually nicer-for the same price.

disneyochem
08-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Well, I have stayed at CCI, GCH and Hojo's (in addition to other hotels). I have always enjoyed our stays at CCI. Yes, there is an outdoor corridor and the rooms are a little small (since I won't pay for the deluxe rooms!) but the breakfast is good, people are great and I really like the dedicated shuttle to and from the park. And, believe it or not, my kids really like the pool because it is so small! I like being able to walk over and get a healthy breakfast for my little ones. Of course, I love the resort feel of GCH or DLH and only stay at other hotels on 'bridge' days. In October, we are staying at the GCH for four nights (gotta love Expedia) and then transferring over to the CCI for a final night. Decided to stay an extra day and attend the Halloween Party in DCA. I chose CCI because of its location, free breakfast and shuttle. I have little ones (6 and 8) that are too big for strollers and get REALLY tired of the walk back to Hojos. I prefer to stay at Hojo's when I'm by myself--don't eat much breakfast and actually enjoy the walk

mrcoffee
08-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Candy Cane. Hands down.

HoJo is nice, but I just feel like I'm in an old hotel (and yeah, I know I am. And so is the Candy Cane.. But it just 'feels' like their remodel is newer/nicer.)

Candy Cane's own shuttle is nice, not having to pay for it, and it runs pretty consistently.

And the breakfast is worth it.

For our upcoming trip in October, the CCI is $15 more than the HoJo, (and that's without the 'special discount' at the HoJo) but we're staying at the Cane Cane.

Disney Debbie
08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
The last two times I went to Disneyland, we stayed across the street at the Best Western Anaheim Inn. The rooms are clean, but they do have outside corridors. I actually like outside corridors as it is harder to hide from people walking past, so I actually feel safer. I travel with my husband, so that is definitely a plus.

I agree that it would be nice to stay on property, but with airfare, rental car, admission to D/L, food, hotel and miscellaneous it just more practical for us to find a hotel in the area. I have paid from 69.00 to 89.00 a night at this hotel.

I always wanted to stay at the Candy Cane Inn also when I was a kid. Always reminded me of Christmas.

Debbie

yeartolate
08-04-2005, 08:37 PM
I loved HoJos. I will certainly be a repeat customer.

One thing though, Candy Cane has it's own (gasp) bus system. Heck, if the bus is full it will come right back for you. Although CC is a short walk away (similar to HoJos) at the end of the day the bus is looking pretty darn good. That ART shuttle is just too inconvinient - the candy can shuttle is very predictable.

babytmakes5
08-05-2005, 04:33 AM
the candy cane inn sounds really nice with the bus and the continental breakfast, and the cute rooms, but i just may not feel as relaxed there as i would staying someplace else. i feel bad if i offend anyone by this opinion. i am a stay at home mom to three beautiful children, but because i stay home to raise them, we don't have as much time or money to take vacations. we save up for two years to take vacations (our last trip to DL was spring 2004), and when i am on that rare vacation, i want to feel pampered, at least a little. sure, disneyland is what the main attraction is, but as a tired mommy on a tight budget, i want to at least feel a little bit of luxury. and i would be more than willing to spend the big bucks and stay at GC. however, if i can get a great hotel for much less money, i will do it. this i why i have to plan so far ahead--i want and need a good deal! that said, i also have to point out that my family actually spends quite a bit of time in our room. i have a little one who will most likely need to take naps mid-day, and with two other children, we will need a break anyhow. i appreciate everyone's opinions, and i will definitely be looking into hojo's, along with the other ideas. i've even read good reviews on paradise pier--but we'll see. we've given ourselves an october deadline to figure out where we want to stay.

stan4d_steph
08-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Well, I for one care more about the "safety" feel...and outdoor hallways always give me the Yeeps!! Im not that skittish, but going to bed and knowing someone can get into my room by just prying open a window is creepy...How is this different than any typical hotel? Windows always face the outside, it doesn't matter if the hotel has an "outdoor hallway" or not. The only difference would be if you were on a room above the first floor in a hotel with inside halls.

disneyochem
08-05-2005, 08:17 AM
the candy cane inn sounds really nice with the bus and the continental breakfast, and the cute rooms, but i just may not feel as relaxed there as i would staying someplace else. i feel bad if i offend anyone by this opinion. i am a stay at home mom to three beautiful children, but because i stay home to raise them, we don't have as much time or money to take vacations. we save up for two years to take vacations (our last trip to DL was spring 2004), and when i am on that rare vacation, i want to feel pampered, at least a little. sure, disneyland is what the main attraction is, but as a tired mommy on a tight budget, i want to at least feel a little bit of luxury. and i would be more than willing to spend the big bucks and stay at GC. however, if i can get a great hotel for much less money, i will do it. this i why i have to plan so far ahead--i want and need a good deal! that said, i also have to point out that my family actually spends quite a bit of time in our room. i have a little one who will most likely need to take naps mid-day, and with two other children, we will need a break anyhow. i appreciate everyone's opinions, and i will definitely be looking into hojo's, along with the other ideas. i've even read good reviews on paradise pier--but we'll see. we've given ourselves an october deadline to figure out where we want to stay.

And you shouldn't feel bad about wanting a little pampering on your vacation. One suggestion I have is perhaps staying at the Embassy Suites in Garden Grove. My family just came back from a vacation to Albuquerque; we stayed four nights at Embassy Suites and loved it. I have two kids (6 and 8)--we really enjoyed the cooked-to-order breakfast (eggs, waffles, pancakes, Krispy Kreme donuts, fruit, cereal, etc), the manager's reception in the afternoon (free cocktails, snacks, sodas), the pools and having two separate rooms. We were able to put the kids in the back room for a rest (didn't have to take a nap but read and have quiet time), shut the door and have some adult time. Our suite had a little 'kitchen' area with a sink, microwave and refrigerator. I brought water, drinks, microwave popcorn, lunch stuff, etc. so we saved quite a bit of money. We were on a two-week car vacation, staying in hotels, so we appreciated NOT eating in a restaurant!

We had such an enjoyable time staying at Embassy Suites that I'm thinking about changing my ressies. We are staying at GCH in October but may switch. Expedia right now has a suite for $129/night which is hard to beat!