PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report, July 26 & 27

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
08-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I've never done a trip report before, but I had such an awesome time last week I wanted to thank everyone for the inside tips and suggestions offered on these boards!

My friend and I had a 7:00 am flight from Sacramento to Orange County on Tuesday (7/26). We left our seven little girls at home (she has 4, I have 3) and snuck out while it was still dark. When we arrived we went to the Candy Cane Inn to check in and leave our bags. We then took the private shuttle to the park and went to Guest Relations to get our tickets for the 5:40 p.m. 50th Anniversary tour. Once inside the park we got a muffin and dashed to Space Mountain for fast passes. We went on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters and loved it! Neither of us plays video games, and we were surprised at how addicting the ride/game is (we would go on to ride it 4 more times). We e-mailed our pictures to our husbands and they would call each other to say whose wife was "winning." Space Mountain was great, and after that we moved over to IJA and Splash Mountain. We were pleasantly surprised that the actual waits were almost never as long as the posted wait times. Knowing that fastpasses don't really "expire" was a great help--we banked them for later use and felt like we didn't spend much time at all waiting. We practically walked on to Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. Had a leisurely lunch at Rancho de Zocalo, and didn't once cut anyone's food, change a diaper or break up an argument. My daughters called to wish me a happy birthday and they weren't at all upset that I was in Disneyland without them. They're only 2, 3 and 5 so they don't hold grudges. Yet.

We didn't set foot in Toon Town or Fantasyland, and it was wonderful! I took my oldest DD to DLR for her 5th birthday in January, and we will be taking our families to DLR in October and we know that trip will be all about the kids' rides, meeting princesses and collecting autographs...all of which are wonderful and priceless, but leave us feeling a bit harried. This trip was just about what the Moms wanted. We watched the parade and it was...fine. Good, but not outstanding. It may have been because we were sitting on a curb that was hot as he** and all I could think about was whether I was going to need medical attention afterwards. We had a chance to go on a few more rides and meander through the shops before our 5:40 tour.

The 50th anniversary tour was wonderful and well worth the money! We had a great group and an amazing tour guide named Shannon. We started out telling everyone our favorite Disney memories (mine was easy--getting engaged inside Sleeping Beauty's castle) and then went out front for a group photo. After the 50th anniversary film and some chit chat we set off for the rides. We got more than a few funny looks when we passed by the folks in the 120 minute standby line for Splash Mountain and walked right on--that was sa-weet! After that Shannon said she was taking us on an "extra" ride (usually you only get 3) and we walked onto Haunted Mansion. We got a private stretching room and some great stories from our guide, since it's her favorite ride. From there we walked onto Big Thunder Mountain RR and then Buzz Lightyear. Shannon gave us some great tips to improve our scores and I managed to get to Level 4 (quite an accomplishment for me). It was getting late and we had to get back to the train station for the fireworks, so we got on the train and headed back. I know that the hub is supposed to be the best place to view the fireworks, but the reserved seating at the train station was great. They gave us a snack and our trinkets (photo, exclusive pin, E ticked reproduction book) and we were all sorry to see the tour come to an end. Shannon loves Disneyland and her spirit made the tour really special. We were exhausted, so we grabbed a quick piece of pizza in DTD and called it a night. The Candy Cane Inn was nice, at least from the limited perspective of our 8 hours sleeping and showering there.

The next day we got up early, got to the park, put our bags in lockers and headed to Space Mountain and Buzz for a rematch. We got Buzz FPs and headed to California Adventure. On the way over, checked out my family's new brick in the walk of Magical Memories! It was so exciting. I haven't told DH or the DDs yet because I want to surprise them in October. Got Soarin' FPs and went on GRR for the first time--so fun! And refreshing on a hot morning. Went on California Screamin' even though my friend was terrified. Shopped, strolled through the animation building and went on Soarin'. Then back over to DL for more Buzz, the Jungle Cruise, and a few other rides. Sat in front of the castle and listened to the Disney College All-Star Band--they were fantastic! A few more rides then over to CA for the Block Party Bash--it was better than I thought it would be, and I think my kids will love it. An hour of shopping at World of Disney and then a cab to the airport. Touched down in Sacramento at 9:50 p.m. on Wednesday (7/27).

The best thing about this trip was taking it at our own pace, riding "grown up" rides and stopping to listen to music or have a snack whenever we wanted. We missed our girls a lot and kept commenting on things they'd like, but we really enjoyed doing it our way. We brought back lots of goodies (I went a little crazy with the SHAG stuff) and souveniers for the girls, but their favorite thing was the extra programs/maps of DL and CA. I guess the best things in life are free (plus or minus airfare, hotel, parkhoppers, and food :)). Best of all, I get to go back in a few short months!

I Heart Disneyland!
08-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a WONDERFUL birthday trip!!!! I am so happy for you Faith, you sure deserve it.

passthepixiedust
08-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Wow ! Lucky Mom ! Sounds like a great time !!

rentayenta
08-03-2005, 03:53 AM
Awesome report Faith! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. :)

Isn't surreal when you get to eat without having to tend to kids?

Crazy4DL
08-03-2005, 07:44 AM
oh Faith! what a fun report! glad you had such a good Birthday trip :)

Skunker
08-03-2005, 08:42 AM
That is awesome you two did something for yourselves - you go girls! Moms need time away and I can't think of a better place (ok, expect maybe the spa). Thanks for the great report!

CoasterChickie
08-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust...

Sounds like you and your friend had a wonderful time celebrating your birthday in DL!! The 50th tour sounds great, especially with all the perks that went with it!! And I liked your story about e-mailing the husbands with your Buzz scores and them e-mailing each other. That's cute!!!

I bet you will really enjoy your next trip with your kids even more since you got to have some mommy time with your friend!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us! :)

Shortiemetoo
08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Woo hoo!!! I was hoping you would post a trip report!! It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday!! I am so happy you had such a great time on the 50th tour!! The guide I had was very very nice, but not at all "helpful" and kept losing us in the crowds as she would just walk and never look back!
Having an extra ride was cool!! How awesome!!!
Buzz tips?? Our guide disappeared when we were on buzz and all of us were waiting for her outside the shop for 20 min before she reappeared!!! :eek:
But am I glad I took the tour?? Yes very much so!!

coronado_g
08-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Had a leisurely lunch at Rancho de Zocalo, and didn't once cut anyone's food, change a diaper or break up an argument.

We didn't set foot in Toon Town or Fantasyland, and it was wonderful!

Buzz Lightyear. Shannon gave us some great tips to improve our scores and I managed to get to Level 4 (quite an accomplishment for me).

On the way over, checked out my family's new brick in the walk of Magical Memories! It was so exciting. I haven't told DH or the DDs yet because I want to surprise them in October.

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust ~ What a great trip report! Sounds like you both had a terrific time. I especially loved your description of lunch at Rancho de Zocalo - I laughed out loud about the diapers and the cutting of food. Having no children myself, I rarely set foot in Toon Town either. Sometimes those of us without little ones in tow fail to fully realize how much work it can be to be a parent in DL. So glad you were able to experience the freedom!

As for the Buzz tips....I'm sure many of us here would absolutely LOVE to hear tips on how to get to the upper levels. I'm all ears! Please. Thank you.

How exciting that you have a walkway brick waiting to surprise your family in October!! Hope your DH doesn't peek at these boards!

Pat-n-Eil
08-03-2005, 12:20 PM
My friend and I had a 7:00 am flight from Sacramento to Orange County on Tuesday (7/26). When we arrived we went to the Candy Cane Inn to check in and leave our bags.

Sounds like you booked the same flights that we are taking next week. Ours leaves at 7:05 am. Do you remember what time it was when you arrived at the Candy Cane Inn?

Touched down in Sacramento at 9:50 p.m. on Wednesday (7/27).

We're flying down on a Monday and coming back on Thursday, but we have the same return flight too.

Being a lifelong Sacramentan, I'm completely used to 100+ degree weather. How did it feel in Anaheim while you were there?

coronado_g
08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
As for the Buzz tips....I'm sure many of us here would absolutely LOVE to hear tips on how to get to the upper levels. I'm all ears! Please. Thank you.

P.S. Just so that you know, I'm willing to beg, plead, or grovel in the dirt for those Buzz tips!

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
08-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds like you booked the same flights that we are taking next week. Ours leaves at 7:05 am. Do you remember what time it was when you arrived at the Candy Cane Inn?

We arrived at the Candy Cane Inn a little before 9:00 a.m.

We're flying down on a Monday and coming back on Thursday, but we have the same return flight too.

Being a lifelong Sacramentan, I'm completely used to 100+ degree weather. How did it feel in Anaheim while you were there?

It felt more humid than Sacramento, but not nearly as hot. I rarely spend much time outside during these 105 degree days in Sac, but Anaheim felt nothing like our "Africa hot." Enjoy your trip!

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
08-03-2005, 09:37 PM
P.S. Just so that you know, I'm willing to beg, plead, or grovel in the dirt for those Buzz tips!

The tips our tour guide gave us may be common knowledge to Buzz fans, but I did much better after her pep talk! She told us that the diamond shapes are worth the most points, followed by triangles, squares and circles. And of course you know that they're all worth more when they're lit up. She also said to pull the trigger often because you'll get 100 points just for every 10 times you do that. She also said that there's a small spot/hole (unmarked) in the middle of Zurg's chest that's worth a lot of points, and I managed to hit that once. The diamonds are usually hiding behnd something else, so you have to wait for them. I can hardly wait to go back and try again!

coronado_g
08-03-2005, 09:47 PM
The tips our tour guide gave us may be common knowledge to Buzz fans, but I did much better after her pep talk!
Thank you so much! It certainly wasn't common knowledge to me as I BARELY made 2nd level. Maybe now I'll do better now that I'm "in the know".

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-03-2005, 10:12 PM
I've never done a trip report before, but I had such an awesome time last week I wanted to thank everyone for the inside tips and suggestions offered on these boards!

My friend and I had a 7:00 am flight from Sacramento to Orange County on Tuesday (7/26). We left our seven little girls at home (she has 4, I have 3) and snuck out while it was still dark. When we arrived we went to the Candy Cane Inn to check in and leave our bags. We then took the private shuttle to the park and went to Guest Relations to get our tickets for the 5:40 p.m. 50th Anniversary tour. Once inside the park we got a muffin and dashed to Space Mountain for fast passes. We went on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters and loved it! Neither of us plays video games, and we were surprised at how addicting the ride/game is (we would go on to ride it 4 more times). We e-mailed our pictures to our husbands and they would call each other to say whose wife was "winning." Space Mountain was great, and after that we moved over to IJA and Splash Mountain. We were pleasantly surprised that the actual waits were almost never as long as the posted wait times. Knowing that fastpasses don't really "expire" was a great help--we banked them for later use and felt like we didn't spend much time at all waiting. We practically walked on to Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. Had a leisurely lunch at Rancho de Zocalo, and didn't once cut anyone's food, change a diaper or break up an argument. My daughters called to wish me a happy birthday and they weren't at all upset that I was in Disneyland without them. They're only 2, 3 and 5 so they don't hold grudges. Yet.

We didn't set foot in Toon Town or Fantasyland, and it was wonderful! I took my oldest DD to DLR for her 5th birthday in January, and we will be taking our families to DLR in October and we know that trip will be all about the kids' rides, meeting princesses and collecting autographs...all of which are wonderful and priceless, but leave us feeling a bit harried. This trip was just about what the Moms wanted. We watched the parade and it was...fine. Good, but not outstanding. It may have been because we were sitting on a curb that was hot as he** and all I could think about was whether I was going to need medical attention afterwards. We had a chance to go on a few more rides and meander through the shops before our 5:40 tour.

The 50th anniversary tour was wonderful and well worth the money! We had a great group and an amazing tour guide named Shannon. We started out telling everyone our favorite Disney memories (mine was easy--getting engaged inside Sleeping Beauty's castle) and then went out front for a group photo. After the 50th anniversary film and some chit chat we set off for the rides. We got more than a few funny looks when we passed by the folks in the 120 minute standby line for Splash Mountain and walked right on--that was sa-weet! After that Shannon said she was taking us on an "extra" ride (usually you only get 3) and we walked onto Haunted Mansion. We got a private stretching room and some great stories from our guide, since it's her favorite ride. From there we walked onto Big Thunder Mountain RR and then Buzz Lightyear. Shannon gave us some great tips to improve our scores and I managed to get to Level 4 (quite an accomplishment for me). It was getting late and we had to get back to the train station for the fireworks, so we got on the train and headed back. I know that the hub is supposed to be the best place to view the fireworks, but the reserved seating at the train station was great. They gave us a snack and our trinkets (photo, exclusive pin, E ticked reproduction book) and we were all sorry to see the tour come to an end. Shannon loves Disneyland and her spirit made the tour really special. We were exhausted, so we grabbed a quick piece of pizza in DTD and called it a night. The Candy Cane Inn was nice, at least from the limited perspective of our 8 hours sleeping and showering there.

The next day we got up early, got to the park, put our bags in lockers and headed to Space Mountain and Buzz for a rematch. We got Buzz FPs and headed to California Adventure. On the way over, checked out my family's new brick in the walk of Magical Memories! It was so exciting. I haven't told DH or the DDs yet because I want to surprise them in October. Got Soarin' FPs and went on GRR for the first time--so fun! And refreshing on a hot morning. Went on California Screamin' even though my friend was terrified. Shopped, strolled through the animation building and went on Soarin'. Then back over to DL for more Buzz, the Jungle Cruise, and a few other rides. Sat in front of the castle and listened to the Disney College All-Star Band--they were fantastic! A few more rides then over to CA for the Block Party Bash--it was better than I thought it would be, and I think my kids will love it. An hour of shopping at World of Disney and then a cab to the airport. Touched down in Sacramento at 9:50 p.m. on Wednesday (7/27).

The best thing about this trip was taking it at our own pace, riding "grown up" rides and stopping to listen to music or have a snack whenever we wanted. We missed our girls a lot and kept commenting on things they'd like, but we really enjoyed doing it our way. We brought back lots of goodies (I went a little crazy with the SHAG stuff) and souveniers for the girls, but their favorite thing was the extra programs/maps of DL and CA. I guess the best things in life are free (plus or minus airfare, hotel, parkhoppers, and food :)). Best of all, I get to go back in a few short months!
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Good for you for having a ball. I did that in May with Wendi from this board, and while I felt guilty for a minute, I really enjoyed doing Disneyland MY way for a change.