PDA

View Full Version : Raking It In

Barbossa
08-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Does anyone have a ballpark figure for a typical day's (say Saturday, high season) revenue at:

1. Disneyland?
2. DLR (Parks, DTD, Hotels etc.)?

I'm entering my DLR receipts into Quicken (I'm an engineer by day, accountant by night) and it's clear just how much one family spends at that place. They've gotta be raking in $$$ by the trainload!

coronado_g
08-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I'd guess:
1. Disneyland - 1 million
2. DLR - 2 million

These are totally ballpark figures from an unqualified person.

MyBeast
08-02-2005, 01:46 AM
You also have to realize they spend a lot of money per day too... fireworks are expensive and they have 20,000 employees to pay. They also have to buy supplies, repairs etc...

Pat-n-Eil
08-02-2005, 07:12 AM
From what I've read - you can estimate about 56,000 attendees for Disneyland and about 13,000 for DCA on a particular day.

What I don't know is how to filter or divvy up the multi-day parkhoppers and how many are single day tickets. I also don't know what percentage of their income is from concessions versus park entry.

So I would just go from my own experiences which is totally unscientific.

We buy a multi day parkhopper for 4 at about $140 each (divided by 4) means $35/day entry fee per person that includes both parks.

We usually have at least one meal there - and you can't get a meal for 4 for less that 40 bucks, no matter what it is and drinks, snacks.. We also get everyone a shirt or garment which probably runs $30 each, but not every day - just like one or two per trip..

So totally rough calculations - and not accounting for maintenance or payroll or utilities deductions.. I'd guess the average to be at least $60/day per person.

How about 70,000 guests x $60/day =

Just over $4 Million/day.

Pat-n-Eil
08-02-2005, 07:19 AM
You also have to realize they spend a lot of money per day too... fireworks are expensive and they have 20,000 employees to pay. They also have to buy supplies, repairs etc...

Right.. even though you know they recover the cost of food plus much more in the prices, you have to calculate the food, the payroll which actually costs them approximately double the hourly rate paid to the employees once you add in insurances, vacations, and benefits. I've heard that firework displays can cost a hundred thousand dollars and even double or triple that.. and from what I've heard this Fireworks show (Remember...) is a BIG one.. So they have to have at least $1 to $2 Million dollars/day in expenses.

It would seem to me that as a publicly traded company, Disney should have to publish it's yearly statement that would include the revenues and expenses of Disneyland or the whole DLR itself as one if the entities.

Barbossa
08-02-2005, 09:15 AM

Understood, I didn't mean to imply that we aren't getting our money's worth (except for the food :p ). It amazes me how many things there are to spend money on at DLR, so I was curious how many Brinks trucks they filled on a good day.

TikiGeek
08-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I wonder how much 1 Churro cart (or 1 Popcorn cart for that matter) makes in a day?

I'm always suprised at how hard it is to find snacks when you are at the park late. It seems the ODV's are either out of food or closed by 1 hour before closing. One would think that the cost of 1 hour of additional operation would be offset by the money that would be made during that period of time.

I remember last fall they were closing the stores on Main st. before the park was closed to save money :confused: What!!! It didn't take long to figure out that was a bad idea - someone did the math - brilliant! :rolleyes:

crazi4dlr
08-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Right.. even though you know they recover the cost of food plus much more in the prices, you have to calculate the food, the payroll which actually costs them approximately double the hourly rate paid to the employees once you add in insurances, vacations, and benefits.

Not to mention employer taxes, worker's compensation insurance (imagine to cost of the maintenance crew not to mention those who "climb" the Matterhorn???) and the liability insurance which goes up every time a ride breaks down and potentially injures a guest.

Barbossa
08-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm always suprised at how hard it is to find snacks when you are at the park late.

I think they need to open an Albertos Taco Shop on Main Street.

"Albertos" (or other shops like it) is a Mexican fast food chain in San Diego etc. that serves really good food and they never close. If you've got the munchies at 3:00 a.m., it's Albertos to the rescue. :p

TikiGeek
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
"Albertos" (or other shops like it) is a Mexican fast food chain in San Diego etc. that serves really good food and they never close. If you've got the munchies at 3:00 a.m., it's Albertos to the rescue. :pYes! I'm familiar with Alberto's - I live in San Diego and at most locations, they know me by my first name :D. Your suggestion is excellent! :)

Pat-n-Eil
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Nice idea..

Up here we have a chain called "Jimboys" which has about 40 locations and is consistently voted "best taco" and "best budget mexican" in local publications. I'd love to see some real outside world fastfood mexican place in there too.. :p

BigAlH
08-02-2005, 11:14 AM
It would seem to me that as a publicly traded company, Disney should have to publish it's yearly statement that would include the revenues and expenses of Disneyland or the whole DLR itself as one if the entities.

Probably have to pay for all the details, but you can get a bunch of stuff off Yahoo Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=DIS).

coronado_g
08-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I think they need to open an Albertos Taco Shop on Main Street.

"Albertos" (or other shops like it) is a Mexican fast food chain in San Diego etc. that serves really good food and they never close. If you've got the munchies at 3:00 a.m., it's Albertos to the rescue. :p
Yes, I also live in San Diego County and am familiar with good ol' 24/7 Alberto's! Always taste best when you're desperate for eats at some ungodly hour - when any rational person would be sleeping in bed.
Can you imagine such a place on Main Street? (shudder)

Black Pearl
08-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Yes, I also live in San Diego County and am familiar with good ol' 24/7 Alberto's! Always taste best when you're desperate for eats at some ungodly hour - when any rational person would be sleeping in bed.
Can you imagine such a place on Main Street? (shudder)

We have those in Phoenix, as well as countless other "berto's" establishments that offer tacos, menudo, carne asada and the likes at all hours of the night and day. (Albertos, Humbertos, Filibertos, etc.) Good potions of good food for a good price.

Alex S.
08-02-2005, 02:39 PM
According to the 2004 Annual Report, Disney theme parks had annual revenues of $7.75 billion in FY2004.

If you assume that is spread evenly across the WDW, DLR, and DLP parks (let's ignore the royalty based Japan parks) that is 8 parks or $968,000,000 each per year in revenues. For the Disneyland Resort this would be $2.65 million per day in revenues.

Now, odds are the money isn't split evenly between the parks, but I have no idea what a realistic split would be (but since resort hotels are included, I would guess that WDW should get a bigger share).

If the Disney financials provide a breakdown by resort, then I didn't find it on quick examination.