PDA

View Full Version : Watershow near the DLH?

TikiTiki
08-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I have heard tell in the past of a watershow near the DLH. I wonder is it anything like the Sparkletts Water Show in Sea World years ago? Just a smaller version?

I wonder if it is still there and I just keep missing it or..? Love to catch it just once when we head up again this winter if it is indeed there.

Thanks!

phoenixfire2k5
08-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I have heard tell in the past of a watershow near the DLH. I wonder is it anything like the Sparkletts Water Show in Sea World years ago? Just a smaller version?

I wonder if it is still there and I just keep missing it or..? Love to catch it just once when we head up again this winter if it is indeed there.

Thanks!

I remember this. It was a small area southwest of where the hotels and the downtown disney district is now. It featured a couple of the main characters that lighted up and water fountains that would go off in different directions. Its been about 17 years since I've seen it and I really don't think its there anymore. It wasn't erally that big.

DisneylandForever
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I think it was called "Fantasy Waters." Darkbeer or somebody would know for sure, but I think they stopped showing it. I did see it as recently as a year ago, but I heard then it was near closing. It was super-crowded when I went. I filmed it until my tape ran out. I'm not sure if it was crowded because it was usually that popular, or because people knew it was closing soon. I liked it, personally.

nursemelis374
08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
My family loved that show at Sea World! I had totally forgotten about it!

Stupid_American
08-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Gone!

phoenixfire2k5
08-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I haven't been to Sea World since I was like 5 years old.

nursemelis374
08-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Gone!

I know, what a bummer! It was such a great way to cool off.

Darkbeer
08-01-2005, 12:38 PM
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/488237/6/19923298/Large

Fantasy Waters was a show at the Disneyland Hotel (west end), basically water fountains and lights set to music. The original version required a human operator to run the water and lights, and needed to be a very good "DJ", though the soundtrack was mostly the same music nightly. It got converted to a computer controlled show after a few years...

SeaWorld had something similar, in the building that now host the 4-d movies. (gutted the entire interior, and coverted it to a movie auditorium).

Since Disney has removed all the lights, and some of the fountains, I seriously doubt it will return.

phoenixfire2k5
08-01-2005, 12:39 PM
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/488237/6/19923298/Large

Fantasy Waters was a show at the Disneyland Hotel (west end), basically water fountains and lights set to music. The original version required a human operator to run the water and lights, and needed to be a very good "DJ", though the soundtrack was mostly the same music nightly. It got converted to a computer controlled show after a few years...

YUP! That was exactly what I was picturing!

Disney Vault
08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
http://www.mouseplanet.com/karl/ht040720kb.htm

MousePlanet has some pictures of it in action.

TikiTiki
08-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Awwww.. now that is a shame. I guess I was reminded of it when speaking with someone recently about the Sea World Sparkletts show.

Well I guess I will have to live with it being gone from Disney, too.

~sighs

Thanks for all the info and memories, All!

TikiTiki
08-01-2005, 12:52 PM
My family loved that show at Sea World! I had totally forgotten about it!

Oh it was lovely, wasn't it? SO peaceful and refreshing on a hot summers day!
I miss that show!

Disney Vault
08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I think a Miniture gold course will be fun when they build it in that area if they ever do it for sure.

I am also wishing that they added a water show in the lagoon at DCA. Think Fantasy Waters but huge.

Mark Mywords
08-01-2005, 01:01 PM
My family was lucky enough to catch it the last summer it was running.

It was really cool, but sorta sad at the same time. There was only about 8 other people watching it and the music obviously hadn't been updated in at least a decade (still had Captain EO and Ric Ocasek's Cars-style version of zip-a-dee-doo-dah).

I'm glad we got to see it before it was retired. I have really cool childhood memories of that show and was glad my kids got to see it.

I know it's unlikely, but it'd be really cool to see the Disneyland Hotel replace it with something new. Maybe not a water show, but some sort of small scale show on the hotel grounds that would add more value to staying at DLH.

phoenixfire2k5
08-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I think a Miniture gold course will be fun when they build it in that area if they ever do it for sure.

I am also wishing that they added a water show in the lagoon at DCA. Think Fantasy Waters but huge.

They actually did have a xmas themed water show in the lagoon at paradise pier. But it only ran for one holiday season. wasn't popular enough. It was supposed to be similiar to the illuminations show at epcot. called illuminari or something.

Stupid_American
08-01-2005, 02:03 PM
There is still the waterfalls/grotto there.
It is a nice place to cool down, away from the crowds.

Grotto (http://home.pacbell.net/dagravy/disneyslide/index.htm)

Shortiemetoo
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
I saw the show years and years ago...way prior to Captain EO, when Disneyland hotel still had a miniature golf course! It was really cute! Mickey, goofy and all the regulars were part of each "hole."
Darkbeer its good to know that it used to be "hand operated" because it was funny the way part of the show went one night compared to a different night..lol

Disney Vault
08-01-2005, 03:40 PM
They actually did have a xmas themed water show in the lagoon at paradise pier. But it only ran for one holiday season. wasn't popular enough. It was supposed to be similiar to the illuminations show at epcot. called illuminari or something.
That was a firework show not a water show though.