PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts, Trip Highlights, Another Wonderful Experience

teach
08-01-2005, 08:36 AM
My family and I just got back yesterday from our two week summer vacation. The first week, we were in Southern California, spending the 18th to the 22nd at Disneyland. Just some random thoughts, highlights, and moments from our trip.

1) Stayed at the Super 8 on Katella. It was by far the most economy of all hotels that we have stayed at. Older room (but very clean), small pool in the parking lot, coffee and donuts for continental breakfast. Yet it was the most problem free experience and friendliest staff we have experienced!

2) Our previous trips, we have always taken the shuttle, but this time we walked it daily (twice a day since we took a break part way through the day). Although it was very tiring, in the end it saved us a lot of time from waiting for shuttles, checking schedules, and fighting crowds.

3) On the three mornings that had early entry, we discovered that if we arrived at 7:50 or so, stood by the early entry gate, waited for them to change it to a regular entry gate, and then got in line, we were always one of the first ones in line. This made for a shorter wait and got us in the park quickly.

4) Our last trip, we noticed lots of people in line with the california 2 for 1 admissions. This time most people around us in line had park hopper tickets. In general, seemed like more out of towners than our last trip. Whether it is perceived or actual, it felt quite different this trip.

5) Got stuck on Soarin' Over California. We were in the first row of the middle section. The screen went blank and the lights came on during the scene over Malibu. Our middle section did not go down. We were stuck for about ten minutes. In hindsight, it was quite comical, because the CM would come on and apologize for the technical difficulties and say they would have us down momentarily, but then off the PA system we could hear them say things like "I've tried that" or "what should we do now?". At one point the ending message of "to unfasten your seatbelt, press the red button..." came on. We all chuckled at the inopportune time for that message to come on. The CM also asked us if we had any questions, a group of us began to sing "Vertigo", given the height that we were suspended from and no immediate prospects of coming down.

6) We had a daily meal in the resort. We ate at the Mexican restaurants at each park and at Tast Pilots Grill. With our AP discount, and at times sharing a meal, we found the meals to be very reasonable and saved us a lot of time from leaving the park to eat. We especially liked the restaurant over by BTMRR.

7) Tower of Terror has developed into one of our families favourite attractions. The theming and detail is incredible. Despite the fact that we know what's going to happen, it still gives us a bit of a fright in the anticipation of the drops.

8) Things that we did for the first time: Snow White Show, Sun Wheel, Maliboomer, Turtle Talk with Crush, had Dole whips. We enjoyed them all at one level or another.

9) Loved riding Space Mountain again, It was better than I remembered.

10) My girls are now at an age where they don't want to meet all the characters. They are just happy to see them while walking, but do not want to get in line and get autographs. This saved a lot of time.

11) Since this was our second trip this year, we didn't feel the need to rush around and try to get onto as many attractions as possible. We took more time to sit around and people watch, enjoy the sights and sounds, and take in the atmosphere. The irony, we accomplished as much if not more than our other trips, yet at a more leisurely pace.

Our next trip may be at Christmas time. but most likely not till next March.

Crazy4DL
08-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the tips and fun thoughts and highlights!! :)

Hakuna Makarla
08-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Awsome trip report, thank you so much for sharing!!!

SassyNYLady
08-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, since you were stuck on it with the lights on, how high are the seats on Soarin' off of the floor?

(Just giving myself something else to worry about... :D )

Zigen
08-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I gota remember tip 3 for our next trip. Thanks!

teach
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, since you were stuck on it with the lights on, how high are the seats on Soarin' off of the floor?

(Just giving myself something else to worry about... :D )

I didn't dare look right down, but looking at where the CMs were, I'd say we were 25 to 30 feet above them. My sense was that there is greater depth immediately in front of the screen, not sure though. Tried to look back throught he cracks to see the other two rows, but could not really get a good look, but they were definitely at a different elevation.

SassyNYLady
08-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks Teach...

I was just curious...I do prefer not thinking about it at all though. (I'm such a chicken...:D)

Shortiemetoo
08-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Cool trip report....thank you!! :D

Susan L
08-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for sharing your tips and it sounds like you had a wonderful time.