PDA

View Full Version : Musical History of DL 6-CD set question.

Pages : [1] 2

coronado_g
07-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Today,I received the 50th Anniversary Musical History of DL 6-CD set as a gift! It's a beautiful set and I'm thrilled...but I have a question:
Should I open the companion vinyl record and play it? The person who gave it to me says "Yes, open the record & play it too!" I'm thinking maybe I should keep it in perfect, sealed condition.
Am I being silly to assume it might become valuable?

Earkid
07-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi Coronado!!

What a nice present. I don't know whether or not it will become valuable, but I'm not touching mine, I want to keep it pristine. In another thread, someone mentioned that the material from the record was available in CD form.

Osky
07-30-2005, 07:17 PM
I would recommend not playing it. They cell a CD with the same content as the record in the music shop on main street.

April's Zoo
07-30-2005, 07:27 PM
My DSis is a collector and in her experience a sealed LP is not necessarily more valuable than one that is opened but in mint condition. Actually, she says she always likes to see the record to be sure it isn't warped or scratched. If it is sealed, scratches wouldn't be an issue, but warping could still occur if it isn't stored properly. You can buy protective, recloseable slipcovers for LP's and 45's. Most collectors use these.

coronado_g
07-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the information, everyone! Based on all your info, I've decided to keep my vinyl record under wraps. I was a bit torn, wondering what to do, because the person who gave it to me wanted me to enjoy it all and I didn't want to seem unappreciate.
It's a terrific set of CDs and the book that comes with it is fabulous!

KarenW2
07-30-2005, 11:52 PM
You can do what we did - we recorded the vinyl onto a CD and then put the vinyl away forever. That way, we can enjoy what was on the vinyl, as well as the other great CDs.

It's really fun to listen to in the car when you're driving, especially at night!!

Does your set have a sticker that says you got a gold vinyl or a black one?

Sandiegoboy
07-31-2005, 12:48 AM
I got the limited edition with a gold vinyl and I opened it!
I never plan on selling it plus I bought the limited edition to enjoy staring at my gold vinyl.

Unless you plan on selling it I dont see a reason to not open it.

coronado_g
07-31-2005, 10:43 AM
You can do what we did - we recorded the vinyl onto a CD and then put the vinyl away forever. That way, we can enjoy what was on the vinyl, as well as the other great CDs.

Does your set have a sticker that says you got a gold vinyl or a black one?
Good tip, Karen. I never thought of that.
As for the color of the vinyl, I'm certain that it's black. The price of this set was $125 and I know that the gold was priced much higher.

JeffG
07-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Good tip, Karen. I never thought of that.
As for the color of the vinyl, I'm certain that it's black. The price of this set was $125 and I know that the gold was priced much higher.

Actually, the gold edition was exactly the same price as the black one. It just was offered in limited quantities.

-Jeff

MrTomMorrow
07-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Yes, "Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland" is available on CD, and Walt Disney Records has rereleased it as a general release in most CD stores:

Walt Disney Records releases Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland CD (http://www.disneylandreport.com/disneynews/050711waltdisneyrecordswaltdisneytakesyoutodisneyl andCD.html)

You could probably keep the gold vinyl sealed and buy the CD to listen to it.

PapiBear
07-31-2005, 02:15 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009W5KCM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Walt Disney Takes You to Disneyland (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009W5KCM/qid%3D1122847819/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-1595523-9549422) CD at Amazon.com - only $14.99 right now....

Greaaaaat, NOW they have it at Amazon! Ah well, I got it at Disneyland and I'm happy.

OCCOBRA
07-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I am keeping my balck vinyl sealed. I keep hearing conflicting reports of the gold or the balck being more collectable. Who knows. Papibear your aviator is a record cover that my dad owned when i was a kid. Very cool...

coronado_g
07-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Actually, the gold edition was exactly the same price as the black one. It just was offered in limited quantities.

-Jeff
Wow, that's strange. I wonder how you can tell what color the vinyl is without opening it?
Well, it doesn't matter...I've definitely decided not to open it - what with vinyl records being so fragile.

PapiBear
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Papibear your aviator is a record cover that my dad owned when i was a kid. Very cool...

:fez: You mean my avatar? Thanks! The same album is available on CD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000IAP/qid=1122851925/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/103-1595523-9549422) today, along with its follow-up.

coronado_g
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
:fez: You mean my avatar? Thanks! The same album is available on CD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000IAP/qid=1122851925/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/103-1595523-9549422) today, along with its follow-up.
My parents also had that record! My sister and I used to look at the album cover and wonder how that lady got that piece of jewelry to stay in her hair. As kids, we thought that looked sooooo exciting to do - have jewelry in our hair!

OCCOBRA
07-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Forgot to use spell check papibear. Thanks for the link!

stan4d_steph
07-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Wow, that's strange. I wonder how you can tell what color the vinyl is without opening it?If you have a limited edition set it will be numbered on the back of the box. The LE sets have gold vinyl.

Colin
07-31-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm like a couple of the others who posted here....

I never intend to sell my set, I bought one for my own pleasure.... I decided to go ahead and open my Vinyl so I could look at it hehe! The only problem is, at the moment I have nothing to play it on... Though I am going to my grandparents in a couple of weeks lol! I think I might need to try it there ;) Good old grandparents insisting on their old technology LOL! If I really like the contents that much, I think i'll buy a copy of the CD Version off of Amazon, I have no way of transferring from the LP to a CD or to the PC unfortunately :( (Actually I not even sure how LOL)

C°o°lin

leotatoombs
08-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Today,I received the 50th Anniversary Musical History of DL 6-CD set as a gift! It's a beautiful set and I'm thrilled...but I have a question:
Should I open the companion vinyl record and play it? The person who gave it to me says "Yes, open the record & play it too!" I'm thinking maybe I should keep it in perfect, sealed condition.
Am I being silly to assume it might become valuable? I've learned that shrink wrap does bad things to records over time! not all the time but sometimes! I think it's better to get another type of cover that is thicker plastic or vinyl that does not "hug" the edges of the record, this will shrink even more over time & could damage/warp record & also deteriorate the cardboard cover as well as leach colors or make them fade over time especially if not kept upright or standing up on its side! being in a box set though? I don't know if this might help keep it in better cond. with or without shrinkwrap? anyway... it's only in my experience & my opinion that you should probably take off the shrinkwrap. I opened mine though! I have not played it yet because, I already Have this on c.d.
:D

Earkid
08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the tip leota. Where can you find the thicker covers? Can you buy only one? I'm picturing it looking like a huge top loader, like those used for trading cards, but I don't want to have to buy 50 at a time.

leotatoombs
08-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the tip leota. Where can you find the thicker covers? Can you buy only one? I'm picturing it looking like a huge top loader, like those used for trading cards, but I don't want to have to buy 50 at a time. I have taken them off of other records that aren't worth as much, that I bought on E-bay or from buy sell trade type of record/music stores. I'm not sure if they sell them individually! but Will Definitely find out soon! as I need to find one that fits better On & in the box! sometimes scrapbook type plastic covers will work.
:) oh yeah! they are alot like those used for trading cards only much larger.

Sandiegoboy
08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Wow, that's strange. I wonder how you can tell what color the vinyl is without opening it?
Well, it doesn't matter...I've definitely decided not to open it - what with vinyl records being so fragile.

Unless you bought it the first day or specifically looked for a gold copy you have black.
There are only 5000 Gold Vinyls and they sold out the first day I believe.

AVP
08-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Unless you bought it the first day or specifically looked for a gold copy you have black.
There are only 5000 Gold Vinyls and they sold out the first day I believe.Believe it or not, Disneyland still "finds" boxes of the Gold Vinyl sets - I saw them there last week. I don't know where they are coming from, but they are definitely the Limited Collector's Edition sets with the Gold Vinyl. If you see them in a store and you're not sure which version it is, flip it over - the Gold sets have a number between 1-5000 printed on the back, telling you the serial number of the set you are holding.

AVP

Osky
08-01-2005, 04:45 PM
If you see them in a store and you're not sure which version it is, flip it over - the Gold sets have a number between 1-5000 printed on the back, telling you the serial number of the set you are holding.

Not quite entirely correct... The sticker will say something like:

Limited Edition

Note that while they released 5000 copies, the made more than 5000. Some were damaged in the manufacturing process and such. At the end of the day, when they had 5000 good versions, they destroyed the rest. However, some of the ones that were damaged and destoyed were numbered below 5000. At least one user on these boards has a limited edition numbered something like 5050. Just look for "limited edition".

Mark Mywords
08-01-2005, 10:31 PM
At least one user on these boards has a limited edition numbered something like 5050. Just look for "limited edition".

I've got #5025 sitting on the shelf above me right now.