PDA

View Full Version : Once upon a time most accidents at DL...

Pages : [1] 2

The old man
07-30-2005, 07:25 AM
occured because of rider misconduct. For the most part it now it seems to be the equipment or operator error. What happened?
David

MrTomMorrow
07-30-2005, 07:43 AM
My speculation:

Rides are getting older, so accidents can become more common.

Better/more reporting in the media when accidents (however minor) occur at Disneyland.

And there's always the maintenance issue; when Paul Pressler was in charge, he was quoted as saying the rides needed to be run until failure. Things are probably better under the new administration, though.

Mrs. Newseditor44
07-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Yup...i'd say maintenance and age issues but money is an issue as well. You cant fix a ride completely without money. The budget only allowed them to "bandage" it up until the next breakdown.

hlbtimes2
07-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Better/more reporting in the media when accidents (however minor) occur at Disneyland.

Thats my guess. I think there have always been accidents, we just didnt hear about them. If it wasnt for the internet I wouldn't know about the one from last night. The news here (Seattle) didnt cover it on the 11 last night. Might have this morning, but we've been watching cartoons.

tod
07-30-2005, 09:59 AM
My speculation:

California Screamin'?!??

Yer kiddin', right?

--t

phoenixfire2k5
07-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Screamin happened, in my opinion based on experience from going on the ride and visual info I got from the news (camera shots), was that it was the hard braking zone on the ride that finally failed due to wear and tear. We all drive cars and once in a while the brake pads need to be replaced. But when some of us brake too hard, and do it frequently, then they have to be replaced sooner. Not saying that there were brake pads that needed to be replaced on the ride, but that example shows what wear and tear can do to it.

ralfrick
07-30-2005, 10:26 AM
occured because of rider misconduct. For the most part it now it seems to be the equipment or operator error. What happened?
David

There is a long history of accidents at DL that don't involve rider error. I suggest you seek out copies of the "Mouse Tales" books.

Cheers.

SCUBAbe
07-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I guess the internet happened as well as easy photography/video methods...back in the day Disney would do whatever it took to surpress negative press from coming out. Now a days it's a bit more difficult. So, were you safer back in the day?...I would say no...you may have felt safer because ignorance can be bliss..:)

Disney Vault
07-30-2005, 02:46 PM
There is a long history of accidents at DL that don't involve rider error. I suggest you seek out copies of the "Mouse Tales" books.

Cheers.
Really? The only ones I know about are the ones on snopes.

ToursbabeC3po
07-30-2005, 04:27 PM
About 6 years ago maybe a bit longer they had a 2 maintenance workers on each attraction. Now they have 4 for all of Disney and four for all of DCA. That is what happened. They are now called the maintenance response team and they have to run all over the park to fix ride to ride and when two are down they fix the ride with the most priority (most popular)
toursbabe

coronado_g
07-30-2005, 06:26 PM
David
I think there is less "rider misconduct" now due to the extensive use of surveillance cameras set up to monitor guest behavior on rides. Previously, Disneyland relied solely on verbal instructions and written signs to instruct guests on what to/what not to do while riding - but then there was nothing to actually put a stop to misbehavior WHILE it was happening. CMs are aware of misbehavior now because they are watching via cameras during the ride and they'll tell you over the loudspeaker to "stop rocking the log!" or whatever needs to be said. They'll even stop some rides, like the HM, to announce "Stay seated!" when someone tries to jump out of the Doom Buggy.

coronado_g
07-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Really? The only ones I know about are the ones on snopes.
I think that "Mouse Tales" was unjustifiably negative towards Disneyland.

Disney Vault
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
I think that "Mouse Tales" was unjustifiably negative towards Disneyland.
Who is the author of that one? Is it Jim Hill or am I thinking of something else?

phoenixfire2k5
07-31-2005, 11:21 AM
If you're talkin about Mousetales, the author is David Koenig.

MrTomMorrow
07-31-2005, 12:18 PM
California Screamin'?!??

Yer kiddin', right?

--t

Believe it or not, it's been running daily for four years now, and even in this admittedly short time, there is the potential for much wear and tear... especially on the brakes.

But who knows... they're investigating to see if it's a mechanical or human error.

RStar
07-31-2005, 12:35 PM
I think the operator error may be due in part to the fact that DL no longer pays a premium wage. When it comes to quality of workers, you get what you pay for.

But the cutbacks in maintenance must have an effect as well.

And I don't think David meant Mousetales to be negative, it's just that most of what we don't hear about is the negative stuff. The "On stage" is the good stuff, and the "Back stage" is the bad stuff, so to speak.

Shortiemetoo
07-31-2005, 12:47 PM
I was very impressed when I went to DL/DCA on the 14th through the 19th. The ride operators seemed to be paying attention to all the details of the rides including helping people in and out, enforcing the safety rules etc.
The brake in Screamin is such a hard brake that I am sure it is possible for mechanical failure issues...I would like to say lets not place any blame on the CM's inless we know for sure they are responsible!!

Disney Vault
07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Believe it or not, it's been running daily for four years now, and even in this admittedly short time, there is the potential for much wear and tear... especially on the brakes.

But who knows... they're investigating to see if it's a mechanical or human error.
Marcie from Mouse info works for Disney. And she made a very good point about this. New rides like screamin don't get rehabs for years after they open. So you can't say this ride was neglected. Indiana Jones when years and years without a real rehab and I think she said star tours went like 5 years.

tod
07-31-2005, 02:39 PM

California Screamin'?!??
Yer kiddin', right?

Four whole years. Compared to some rides at Disneyland, it is barely broken in. I don't think the "rides are getting old" argument will hold water for California Screamin'.

--t

coronado_g
07-31-2005, 03:21 PM
I was very impressed when I went to DL/DCA on the 14th through the 19th. The ride operators seemed to be paying attention to all the details of the rides including helping people in and out, enforcing the safety rules etc.
The brake in Screamin is such a hard brake that I am sure it is possible for mechanical failure issues...I would like to say lets not place any blame on the CM's inless we know for sure they are responsible!!
Shortiemetoo ~ I'm with you on this.

PapiBear
07-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Once upon a time most accidents at DL... occured because of rider misconduct. For the most part it now it seems to be the equipment or operator error. What happened?
David

Two words: MICHAEL EISNER.

From him, all things negative to Disney's rep emanate.

OCCOBRA
07-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I read both mousetails books and i did not find them negative. If anything just all the dirt that goes on in the background of any business. I thought it was fairly represented.

ToursbabeC3po
07-31-2005, 05:38 PM
I think the operator error may be due in part to the fact that DL no longer pays a premium wage. When it comes to quality of workers, you get what you pay for.

But the cutbacks in maintenance must have an effect as well.

And I don't think David meant Mousetales to be negative, it's just that most of what we don't hear about is the negative stuff. The "On stage" is the good stuff, and the "Back stage" is the bad stuff, so to speak.

Amen!!!!! I totally agree with you!!!!
Toursbabe

ToursbabeC3po
07-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Marcie from Mouse info works for Disney. And she made a very good point about this. New rides like screamin don't get rehabs for years after they open. So you can't say this ride was neglected. Indiana Jones when years and years without a real rehab and I think she said star tours went like 5 years.

One Cabin at a time gets rehabed at star tours at least once a year. Even in the beginning. They still do it that way to this day. They never close the entire ride down for long periods of time. When they changed the carpet out and painted it the did close for one day last year but that is the longest I have ever seen it down since 1992 when they replaced all 4 simulators because they are only meant to be safe for 5 years. We are coming up on 13 years and the simulators still have not been replaced. They continuely weld the stress fractures back together on star tours and that is not safe to do when a simulator is supposed to be replaced every 5 years.
toursbabe

nsyncitnd1787
07-31-2005, 06:08 PM
One Cabin at a time gets rehabed at star tours at least once a year. Even in the beginning. They still do it that way to this day. They never close the entire ride down for long periods of time. When they changed the carpet out and painted it the did close for one day last year but that is the longest I have ever seen it down since 1992 when they replaced all 4 simulators because they are only meant to be safe for 5 years. We are coming up on 13 years and the simulators still have not been replaced. They continuely weld the stress fractures back together on star tours and that is not safe to do when a simulator is supposed to be replaced every 5 years.
toursbabe

well now... Star Tours is off the list for my next vacation. man, and i love that ride too. oh well, maybe it'll get a re-do soon.
back onto topic...

i'm saying ME is definatly the tree the bad apples are falling from. and ME can be interperated both ways and it works. lol.