PDA

View Full Version : Poor Kids... No pin trading in this family

Pages : [1] 2

ima_mickeyfan
07-30-2005, 02:01 AM
my little girls ages 4 & 5 want to buy pins on their vacation, but I cant justify the prices for them. I can't even find any on e-bay or disney direct that I think are reasonably priced. I know they won't trade them....I am trying not to be a cheap mom, all the kids will have their own budget, but I just want them to learn how to spend their money wisely. What should I do? am I being a "Dork" about this situation? I just have a hard time paying $10 or more for a pin. :(

ralika
07-30-2005, 02:10 AM
you can find them on ebay for 3-5 dollars a pin. I have bought a bunch on ebay.

rentayenta
07-30-2005, 06:27 AM
That's what I said too. Both my girls are now pin collecting/trading. :rolleyes: The starter sets are $25 (less if you get an AP discount) and that comes with 4 pins and the lanyard.

You are not being cheap. The interesting thing is that when DD (8) wanted a certain pin, she had to either buy it with her money or find it and trade for it- it became smething important to her, because she had to use her money, and not just another thing that I would buy. It's really kind of fun and the CMs were really sweet to them.

They are currently saving up for our Dec. trip.

MissKim
07-30-2005, 07:12 AM
My oldest collects pins. He has to use his own money, which is birthday/gift money that is saved up for over a year. If that's how he chooses to use his money, I won't stop him. I figure it's better spent on a lanyard full of pins than on souvenirs that once we get back from the trip, are forgotten. He's got a lanyard from our WDW trip that probably has $100 worth of pins, if not more, but he treasures it.

On a related note, he's a child that usually likes a ride if I can just get him to try it. Sometimes the offer of a pin at the end is just the push he needs!

hlbtimes2
07-30-2005, 07:33 AM
I'm really trying to let go of my ideas of what is a worth buying and what isnt, when it comes to my kids and vacation. This trip I'm giving them a budget, and they can spend it as they like.

I've never let them get things like the light up spinners. I've always said they were too much $$ for what they were. But, this year if thats what makes them happy, so be it. I'm not going to make them get a t-shirt just because thats what I think they should have.

We all got one free pin with our vacation package on the last trip. The kids had fun trading theirs. I'll have to dig them out so they can take them along on this trip.

Hakuna Makarla
07-30-2005, 07:56 AM
when i took my kids last tme I let them get one light up toy, best investment I ever made! They still have them after alomost a year, they take them to bed and they use them around here in the back yard at night.
I am going in April, only with one child but I am going to be sure to get the boys another light up toy( Our favorite it the one on the rod with the ball that changes colors, and speeds, totally awsome!
When we went the first time I told them no to a lot of stuff, I am going to give my daughter 50.00 this next trip, she can buy what she wants and or save her money. When that 50.00 is gone, so be it.
She is also savign up as I type this, she wants a few pins, and she wants a tinkerbell sweatshirt but I will probably go the the disney warehouse for that.

Drince88
07-30-2005, 09:27 AM
my little girls ages 4 & 5 want to buy pins on their vacation, but I cant justify the prices for them. I can't even find any on e-bay or disney direct that I think are reasonably priced. I know they won't trade them....I am trying not to be a cheap mom, all the kids will have their own budget, but I just want them to learn how to spend their money wisely. What should I do? am I being a "Dork" about this situation? I just have a hard time paying $10 or more for a pin. :(
I think with the ages of your kids, Mom has to be MOM. Ages 4 and 5 is kind of young to REALLY get value and budget and related issues, so you really have to be giving them guidelines on what they spend 'their' money on. Just my (non-parent) opinion, though.

You might be able to really guide them around the pin carts/sections of stores, and 'avoid' the whole subject (hopefully!)

Hakuna Makarla
07-30-2005, 09:36 AM
I think with the ages of your kids, Mom has to be MOM. Ages 4 and 5 is kind of young to REALLY get value and budget and related issues, so you really have to be giving them guidelines on what they spend 'their' money on. Just my (non-parent) opinion, though.

You might be able to really guide them around the pin carts/sections of stores, and 'avoid' the whole subject (hopefully!)
exactly,. kids this age need to know the value of mone and to save up to get whats wanted. my kids are savers, they want the toys they pay for them ( besides holidays and birthdays")
If you feel they can value the pins, buy each of one and let them save for the others. My Rachal wants to start pin trading, but thats if she can afford it. I my self want to do this, but I can not afford to so I am saving up to buy the most wanted ( 1 tot pin, and on splash so far :).

Captain Carlos
07-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Have you purchased your tickets yet? We purchased our ticket package through Western Vacations and each member of the family recieved a lanyard and 3 pins for free.

My hubby and I didn't use our lanyards and gave the pins to the kids. They each had 5 to trade with and loved it.

I'm not sure if we would have bought a starter set otherwise. The kids really did enjoy the pin trading, but it is expensive.

-Teresa

Christiii
07-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I saw someone mention this once on here and thought it was a great idea!! On ebasy you can buy tons of light necklaces and such for the same price as one at DL....also...www.orientaltrading.com probably even has them cheaper than Ebay...so stock up before you go, and they can have a new one or three every night....also...someone else on here said they buy the pins in bulk on ebay, they are the non desired pins ususally, and then you can trade them with the cast members for the good ones!! I just came back from DL with a pin trader, and she liked trading with the CM's better, and said that there is a good CM in the Disney Gallery that usually has great ones....so try to stock up on cheapo treats before you go....maybe even hide them from the kidlets till you get there!! :eek: :D

Shortiemetoo
07-30-2005, 10:49 AM
My daughter and niece have been to disneyland many times. They love going and were easy to please when they were younger. I always gave them a budget to spend...even at 4 and 5 years old. I told them "this is how much money you have to start with." They always felt like it was a LOT of money, until they got into the parks...then I would tell them, "If you buy that you will have $$$ much left." That would help them decide if they really wanted something or not. They usually had $$ leftover and they would save it for our next trip!
Now my daughter is an adult and also sees the value of pin trading. It is easy to have a lanyard of memories and experiences. If you pick favorite characters, rides or park pins you have a souv. that will make you smile every time you look at it.
As for 4-5 year olds. Buy a pack of the locking pin stoppers...This way if they have one that is a particular favorite you can lock them onto the lanyard and it wont get lost!
Do not worry about a pins monetary value, it spoils the fun! Only worry if you like the pin as then it will become a keepsake, something to help you remember your trip!! Have fun! Have a wonderful trip!!

MammaSilva
07-30-2005, 10:50 AM
On the idea of letting the kids 'choose' what's of value at Disneyland...I am a fence walker to a point....cuz I have bought the overpriced pain in the tush balloons for my daugher ...why? Cuz I have a memory of wanting one of those balloons so badly and being told no, they were just a WASTE of money. Hello as opposed to the churros and other snacks and assorted other options to drain my wallet at the park?

I do 'guide' her but if she has something that she just WANTS (keeping in mind my daughter doesn't throw hooey fits for every thing she sees so I do have a disclaimer here)....like the balloon, I tend to 'ok' it since it's all about the memories as far as I'm concerned.

ima_mickeyfan
07-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Have you purchased your tickets yet? We purchased our ticket package through Western Vacations and each member of the family recieved a lanyard and 3 pins for free.

My hubby and I didn't use our lanyards and gave the pins to the kids. They each had 5 to trade with and loved it.

I'm not sure if we would have bought a starter set otherwise. The kids really did enjoy the pin trading, but it is expensive.

-Teresa
yep package already paid for, they will get 1 pin and 1 lanyard that came with the WDTC pkg we booked.

Malcon10t
07-30-2005, 01:21 PM
On the idea of letting the kids 'choose' what's of value at Disneyland...I am a fence walker to a point....cuz I have bought the overpriced pain in the tush balloons for my daugher ...why? Cuz I have a memory of wanting one of those balloons so badly and being told no, they were just a WASTE of money. Hello as opposed to the churros and other snacks and assorted other options to drain my wallet at the park?

I do 'guide' her but if she has something that she just WANTS (keeping in mind my daughter doesn't throw hooey fits for every thing she sees so I do have a disclaimer here)....like the balloon, I tend to 'ok' it since it's all about the memories as far as I'm concerned.I agree. I remember going with my folks to Disneyland, and I could only get what they approved of (usually a tee shirt.) I started taking my younger siblings (I am older by 12-19 years) when they were 5-7 years old. My rule was "If you can buy it at Target, you will buy it at Target." I used this with my own kids. If they had a $30 allowance, I did tend to try and suggest things, but if they really wanted something, it was their decision. (The Magic Shop always drew my son's money.) Now they are teens. This last trip, my younger son took $250 (his own earned cash). Of that, he spent $50 on a stein he decided he had to have. (Magical Moments stein.) Over 9 days, he spent about $20 on snacks, and brought home $180. On the flip side, my nephew was there (with my mom who always said "That isn't worth it") and he saw a little, cheap rubber bracelet, to which my mom said "That isn't worth it"... I ended up going back and buying it for him. I didn't want that memory for him, like the one I have. It was cheap, it will probably be lost in the next few weeks, but he will remember he got hte "cool pirate bracelet".

ima_mickeyfan
07-30-2005, 01:54 PM
I agree. I remember going with my folks to Disneyland, and I could only get what they approved of (usually a tee shirt.) I started taking my younger siblings (I am older by 12-19 years) when they were 5-7 years old. My rule was "If you can buy it at Target, you will buy it at Target." I used this with my own kids. If they had a $30 allowance, I did tend to try and suggest things, but if they really wanted something, it was their decision. (The Magic Shop always drew my son's money.) Now they are teens. This last trip, my younger son took $250 (his own earned cash). Of that, he spent $50 on a stein he decided he had to have. (Magical Moments stein.) Over 9 days, he spent about $20 on snacks, and brought home $180. On the flip side, my nephew was there (with my mom who always said "That isn't worth it") and he saw a little, cheap rubber bracelet, to which my mom said "That isn't worth it"... I ended up going back and buying it for him. I didn't want that memory for him, like the one I have. It was cheap, it will probably be lost in the next few weeks, but he will remember he got hte "cool pirate bracelet".
OK, OK,
the pressure is way to much!! lol, if my girls decide that they want to have something ie trading pins, then I will allow them to buy it, I think it will be cheaper than paying for the therapy bills in the long run. Anyway I have purchased t-shirts etc. online from disney for suprises from Mickey and his friends. Heck, why not let them have those Magical Memories...it's only $$, you can't take it with you when you die. lol

MammaSilva
07-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Well I agree with the if you can buy it at Target rule....but there are just some things you can't buy at target that are still pure 'crapola' and we as parents KNOW that they really are crapola but it's Disneyland...the little rubber/plastic braclet...the pirate kit with the hook and eyepatch and earring...stuff that most likely is going to be in the bottom of the toy bin in 2 weeks but at that MOMENT it's priceless....as I sit here an look at the mickey bowl that my ice cream sunday came in several years back....now serving as a pencil holder...Mickeys abound on the desk/hutch in some fashion or other, my autographed copy of MouseTales...yeah I'm into the memory issue big time.

MsYumiBr
07-30-2005, 03:46 PM
My favorite souveneir as a kid was this cheap glowing wand with Tinkerbell on it. I loved that thing to death. It glowed in the dark. It eventually did break but I am so glad my mom bought it for me. It looked really cool with the fireworks and brought a little "magic" back home with me. You don't need to go crazy with the pin trading thing. Just buy a starter set and that's it. My kids get one new pin each trip. That keeps them happy.

ToursbabeC3po
07-30-2005, 05:17 PM
I used to be a big pin trader so I will give you a few ideas. They have starter kits with lanyard and 5 or 6 pins for 25.00 total. The kids can then take the pins on the starter kit and trade with any Disney cast member for the pins they want. Disney cast members can not refuse a trade unless it is not a Disney pin. These are the basic rules. Two trades per cast member, and there are specific lanyards that are for children under the age of 12. They are normally green. They may trade on adult lanyards as well but adults can not trade on kids lanyards.
I agree the prices on pins are very expensive but they also seem to continue to have value after purchase. You may want to tell them they can have a few pins but set a limit on the amount of money they both get for purchases for the entire trip.
have a great trip!!
Toursbabe

GrumpyUTboi
07-30-2005, 06:11 PM
I never got into the pin trading thing especially when the olympics were here in Salt Lake. I never understood the fasination of it all. Anytime I got a pin the stupid back came off and then I was worried that the pin would get lost and then the money that I just spent on it was gone, most likely into someone elses hand.

Malcon10t
07-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Well I agree with the if you can buy it at Target rule....but there are just some things you can't buy at target that are still pure 'crapola' and we as parents KNOW that they really are crapola but it's Disneyland...the little rubber/plastic braclet...the pirate kit with the hook and eyepatch and earring...stuff that most likely is going to be in the bottom of the toy bin in 2 weeks but at that MOMENT it's priceless....as I sit here an look at the mickey bowl that my ice cream sunday came in several years back....now serving as a pencil holder...Mickeys abound on the desk/hutch in some fashion or other, my autographed copy of MouseTales...yeah I'm into the memory issue big time.My kids love my "dust collection". Its easy for them, because they know what to get me for my birthday, Christmas, mother's day, etc.... (Biggies for me, snowglobes, I have about 15.) Most would view the 50th stuffed Mickey as "Not worth it", but my daughter knows me, and we added it to the collection. For me, memories are important. Who is to say the little cheap pirates bracelet was not important to a little 7yo. I don't always agree with my kids' purchases (the Magic shop was just "junk" to me, but it was so important to my son) but I am sure they don't agree with mine. I just didn't want a $4 bracelet to change the feeling of a $600 trip from "Wow, we went to Fantasmic!, saw GREAT fireworks, went on ..." to "I really wanted the cool pirates bracelet, but grandma said it was cheap and I really wanted it and..." My nephew wouldn't have whined, but the look in his eyes when I took him back (after sending them to BTMRR) and bought the little thing ("But grandma said it wasn't worth it", "That's what aunts are for") was worth well more than $4.

Malcon10t
07-30-2005, 06:47 PM
OK, OK,
the pressure is way to much!! lol, if my girls decide that they want to have something ie trading pins, then I will allow them to buy it, I think it will be cheaper than paying for the therapy bills in the long run. Anyway I have purchased t-shirts etc. online from disney for suprises from Mickey and his friends. Heck, why not let them have those Magical Memories...it's only $$, you can't take it with you when you die. lolYep, and it is also not worth ruining memories of an expensive trip by making it "I wanted xxx, but mom said I HAD to get..." BTW - I sent you a PM. And also check out disneydeals.com for cheap souvenirs. I do this often and we actually spend very little in the park, unless it is something we realllllllly want. I shocked myself last trip. I came home with almost $800 of my food/spending money. I allot $30 per person per day, and take plenty of snacks. We just didn't spend as much as I had thought. So, we are going back!!!!

April's Zoo
07-30-2005, 08:12 PM
We just got back from DL this week, and I was against getting the lanyards/pins for my kiddos also at first. I have 4 boys and the mere thought of :eek: $100 :eek: for something I figured they would have no use for once we got home made me cringe.

What DH and I decided though was to go ahead and get them the lanyard sets and not get them T-shirts. In the end I think it was worth it. They had a great time looking for the CM's to trade with, and they weren't asking for every little thing for the rest of the trip. We did tell them that at the end of our last day there, they could choose 1 special pin to buy (so it wouldn't be lost accidentally) and that seemed help with the "Can-I-have's." I also realized that far from being "useless" -- this is something they can take with them everytime we go (and when we get to WDW someday) and in the long-run will be a moneysaver as souveneirs go 'cuz I can get pins on E-bay, etc. and they can just trade for what they want.

Do get the locking backs for any pins that are extra special, or simply take those pins off and keep them in your purse or whatnot, until you leave. (using the locking backs on pins that are being traded often would be a major pain) The regular backs on the new pins are generally a pretty tight fit but a lot of the traded pins' backs are looser. What worked pretty well for us was to make a new hole in the back by jamming the pin-point into the back a millimeter or 2 above the original hole. A CM also suggested slightly angling the back as you are putting it on which essentially has the same effect of creating a new hole.

We only had one time that a pin was lost completely, but there were several times that a pin fell off. Luckily it was noticed right away and could be picked right up. This seemed to happen most in the restroom, and when getting off rides. I finally told the kids to put their lanyards inside their shirt before we boarded so that the seatbelt, lapbar, etc didn't catch any pins (actually, I think what was happening was they were pulling the lanyard out from under the restraint after it was secured at the beginning of the ride) And I started holding the lanyards whenever they went in to the restroom.

Also there seems to be this irresistable urge to play with the pins, spinning them and rearranging them, etc. I finally told them that playing with them was going to make them get lost easier, and if they kept it up it must mean they don't want them anymore. I told them I would remind them twice more but on the 3rd time the pins were mine. They stopped playing with them after that for the most part. The locking backs would've helped with that, but we didn't see them until the end of our last day there.

On a side note, I was also bitten by the "trading bug." I had a water-bottle lanyard that I had bought for myself, and so for one of the boys we bought a set that included 8 pins and a lanyard (Villains, IIRC) and I just took 4 of those pins for myself. The problem I ran into was that it wasn't long before I got to the point that I really liked all the pins I had gotten in trades (well, duh, who trades for pins they don't like --right?) and I couldn't bring myself to buy new pins just for the purpose of trading them away. I figured if I was gonna buy something, I might as well just buy the ones I liked. But then I had nothing to trade if when I saw a CM with a pin I wanted that was retired. What a predicament. ;) :p

There are some decent deals on e-bay. At DL the prices range from $7-15. So if you can get them on ebay for $3-5 and get several from one seller who will combine or discount s&h, you can come out ahead.

This ended up a lot longer than I planned. Hope it helps. Have a great trip, April

Hakuna Makarla
07-30-2005, 08:17 PM
where does one het the locking backs? I have a few ( ok 2) and they have rubber backs.

DisneylandAlum
07-30-2005, 09:09 PM
I've just rounded up some pins on eBay for an upcoming trip to WDW...I hard to work harder looking for the deals this year, compared to last year, but ultimately paid $2-3 per pin, not including shipping.

In our case pin trading was one of the things the children most enjoyed last year...there were so many more trading opportunities at WDW than here at Disneyland, our "home" park. We also found that the pin trading led to many nice encounters with cast members. My oldest daughter found a much wanted "dwarf" pin from a management type we had a nice chat with. A couple nice "grandmotherly" types *gave* my littlest guy pins he admired! They sure made his day!!

My husband has been making "pin cases" for each child so they can hang them on their bedroom wall to enjoy looking at them (they are mounted on black velvet, have a wooden frame with glass covering the pins -- the top opens so pins can be added).

April's Zoo
07-31-2005, 12:21 AM
I saw them in the pin store in New Orleans Square. I'm sure they have them other places too.