PDA

View Full Version : California Screamin' Accident

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Alex S.
07-29-2005, 06:45 PM
At about 6:50 p.m., there was an accident on California Screamin'. We've not yet confirmed but it appears two separate trains impacted somewhere on the ride.

Approximately 36 are injured with 5 being transported to the local hospital.

Details are still unclear and we'll provide more information as it comes in.

Paradise Pier area has been roped off at Ariel's Grotto from the left and we're not sure where exactly from the right. At least 8 ambulances are on scene.

passthepixiedust
07-29-2005, 06:50 PM
oh my god ! how terrible ! I am sure all our thoughts and prayers are with the families. I am sending out good vibes right now !

Crazy4DL
07-29-2005, 06:51 PM
omg! I hope they are all going to be alright! yes - please keep us updated. thanks.

SCUBAbe
07-29-2005, 06:52 PM
oh no...isn't this the ride that has not been down for refirb since the park opened 4 years ago??...I hope everyone is ok....*scratching screamin off my list for sunday*...it mostly likely will be closed pending investigation.....

DisneyDustin22
07-29-2005, 07:02 PM
very said. like everyone else has said, i hope everyone comes out okay. this is a shame, Disneyland seemed to be going on so well with their 50th celebration and all. This type of accident was the last thing anyone could have wished for. Hopefully everything will end on a more positive note for the people involved.

nickbrown2k2
07-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to the families and all individuals on board. Does anyone know the hospitals they were admitted to? My dad works at one of the local Anaheim/Orange County hospitals where many of the Disneyland accidents are sent to (UCI)

As always, hopefully a full investigation will provide much further insight as to why this happened.

DisneyDustin22
07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
KCAL has live coverage as of 8PM. They showed footage of the red and purple trains collided at the brake stop at the end of the ride.

munchkinsmom0003
07-29-2005, 07:07 PM
You'll be able to see a picture of one of the cars on this website:

http://www.nbc4.tv/index.html

Not a very good picture, though.

So far it's the only LA TV station that has reported on the accident online as of 8PM PST.

Edited to add: More pictures have been added to the site as of 8:20 PM PST.

SCUBAbe
07-29-2005, 07:07 PM
news story with some pictures. (http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4789248/detail.html)

ok a picture..:

Alex S.
07-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Additional information:

Security at the park is making sure that nobody gets close enough to California Screamin' to see anything.

MousePlanet has spoken with Nate, a 17-year-old annual passholder from Riverside, CA. He was on the loading platform for California Screamin' when the accident happened and would have been on the next one or two cars, in his estimation.

The accident happened in a location not visible from the loading platform, apparently near the Y-fork in the track for diverting cars to one side or the other of the loading station (this appears to match pictures now being shown on local L.A. television stations).

Though they couldn't see it, he says it was a very audible accident and that the response form security in clearing the area was near immediate.

From video being shown on local television stations it appears that there are at least two dozen ambulaces on site, though off stage in the area immediately behind California Screamin'. Injured passengers are being taken there as well and little can be seen from the public areas of the park. It also appears that the involved cars are the red and purple ones.

The nightly Disney's Electrical Parade has been cancelled for this evening, and King Triton's Carousel is closed as well.

RStar
07-29-2005, 07:12 PM
As of 8:00 there were 24 ambulances there and the worst people hurt had already been transported. They used a Fire dept. crane to lift people over the back wall.

This is horibble for the families involved, and certainly not good for the Disney resort. I've been woriied about this. The ride was not meant for 365 operation, only seasonal at fairs and such.

nickbrown2k2
07-29-2005, 07:15 PM
As of 8:00 there were 24 ambulances there and the worst people hurt had already been transported. They used a Fire dept. crane to lift people over the back wall.

This is horibble for the families involved, and certainly not good for the Disney resort. I've been woriied about this. The ride was not meant for 365 operation, only seasonal at fairs and such.

Not good for Disney considering the other "accidents" at their Florida parks (although, admittedly--they weren't their fault over there.) Still, the press coverage is not positive right now.

Again, more condolences to the families.

yeartolate
07-29-2005, 07:15 PM
The ride was not meant for 365 operation, only seasonal at fairs and such.

I am curious what information you have points to this conclusion.

MsYumiBr
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
OMG! We were just there on Monday and the kids rode it several times. It looks like we left just in time. I hope everyone comes out of this okay.

Crispy
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
The ride was not meant for 365 operation, only seasonal at fairs and such.

I'm not sure what you mean. Screamin is not a portable carnival ride, it's a permanent installation just like Space Mountain or any of the coasters at Magic Mountain.

I looked at the picture in the news story above and this appears to be a pretty serious crash. Considering the collision happened in a break zone, I can't help if this is another instance of a computer glitch, just like the one that contributed to the two Big Thunder collisions. I guess we will have to wait for the results of the investigation.

Cris

NorCalDisney
07-29-2005, 07:22 PM
I thought the BTMRR accident was attributed to human error?

I do agree with you that it occuring in breaking zone is eerily similar.

SCUBAbe
07-29-2005, 07:23 PM
I am curious what information you have points to this conclusion.

the ride was built for more than just seasonal fair use, but it hasn't been down for a major rehab since it opened over 4 years ago....this may be operator error though. it reminds me of the BTMR accident where two trains collided at the loading platform...or computer error if it didn't divert the trains correctly....however, like BTMR I will ride it again..:)...I hope everyone is going to be ok ....

ToursbabeC3po
I am very sorry to hear about this and will pray for the families and cast members involved.
Tourbabe

TP2000
KNX 1070 newsradio has just reported that several dozen people were injured, and that "16 people, including adults and children" have been taken by ambulance to local hospitals.

The rest of the injured were being treated at the scene.

RStar
07-29-2005, 07:28 PM
They say it appears the trains hit at a fairly slow speed, and all the injuries were minor. Thank God no one was hurt badly.And at least 100 firemen are there.

From what I have heard, the ride was built for the type of parks that close durring the winter, and can have long fehabs and only limited hours per year. But that could have been a missleading statement. Never trust internet rumors ;).......

RemainSeatedPlease
07-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Oh! I hope everyone is alright...my cousin is going to be bummered..he is in love with that ride..and we are going in a fews days!

Crispy
07-29-2005, 07:31 PM
I thought the BTMRR accident was attributed to human error?

I do agree with you that it occuring in breaking zone is eerily similar.

I guess the short answer is that it was combination of both human error and computer error in the fatal Big Thunder accident. However, in the second and relatively minor collision in Big Thunder, it was a computer glitch that allowed two trains to enter a break zone at the same time. Like I said, I guess we will just have to wait and see what the investigation brings about.

Cris

adriennek
07-29-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Screamin is not a portable carnival ride, it's a permanent installation just like Space Mountain or any of the coasters at Magic Mountain.

Six Flags parks, such as Magic Mountain, don't operate 365 days a year though. They are closed weekdays in the off-season and, as others have mentioned, their maintenance crews come in and work on the coasters.

Adrienne

Crispy
07-29-2005, 07:37 PM
From what I have heard, the ride was built for the type of parks that close durring the winter, and can have long fehabs and only limited hours per year. But that could have been a missleading statement. Never trust internet rumors ;).......

Well, I believe most year round parks have more trains than are used in standard operation of the ride, that way there can be a rolling rehab of one train at all times. And, of course, track work can be done on a rolling basis or be done during short extensive rehab periods just as is done on Space, Matterhorn, and Big Thunder. It is not as if Screamin is the only coaster at a year round park.

Cris

RStar
07-29-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Screamin is not a portable carnival ride
Sorry, didn't mean it was a portable carnaval ride, just that it was an off-the shelf type of ride used by lower budget small theme parks. It was not a big budget custom built ride, and I have no idea if that even played part in this accident.

I don't remember where I read it, I think Al Lutz, not sure. Whoever it was, they said it was meant for these parks that stay open about 4-6 months a year and with the lack of rides in DCA they haven't rehabed it like they should. I've been concerned ever since, but I don't even know if that's true.

And yes, they didn't have enough trains to be able to run full capassity and be able to rehab one train. Cutting corners again, they ran less trains so the others would not log hours and could be rehabed later, pushing the rehab into another budget period.

And again, this may have nothing to do with the accident. I'm going to wait for the report before placing blame. It's worried me a bit, that's all.