PDA

View Full Version : Tommorowland closed???

BELLEH5
02-13-2002, 07:40 PM
Tomorrowland @ Disneyland - When the question was asked "What's the situation with Tomorrowland?" a reply came from one of the execs "It's closed." They went on to say that they are working on concepts for the land, as well as Frontierland in Disneyland.
Click here: Welcome to westcoaster.net 3.0 - scroll down a bit.

I saw this on the westcoast net.com, Can anyone tell me what this is about?

zapppop
02-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Tomorrowland will be getting a major rehab within the next 3 years.
Currently, Tomorrowland is NOT closed.
If it were, MousePlanet would've coverd the story.
Don't trust other web sites for Disney news.

No Grape Koolaid
02-13-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Tomorrowland will be getting a major rehab within the next 3 years.
Currently, Tomorrowland is NOT closed.
If it were, MousePlanet would've coverd the story.
Don't trust other web sites for Disney news.

I read that article too and they didn't mean it literally. It was just meant as another way of saying "Tomorrowland's dead."
When you think about it, Tomorrowland is all but closed.

tabacco
02-13-2002, 10:10 PM
And the quote *was* by Marty Sklar, if I recall.

Morrigoon
02-13-2002, 10:20 PM
I would interpret that to mean that the issue is "closed", as in, they're giving up on trying to rescue the current version and moving on.

case closed
end of discussion
subject is closed
etc.

Nigel2
02-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Or they mean that it is like "closed door", well most of the attractions that the 98' tland opened with are still there, but thrill ride is gone.:(

Morrigoon
02-13-2002, 10:44 PM
subs-gone
circlevision-gone
peoplemover-gone
skyway-gone
captain eo- gone

rocket rods- gone
cosmic waves- gone
innoventions-blah
hista- old

space-already there
star tours-already there

autopia-already there (nice redo, actually, though later than "new tl")
rocket jets- already there but made boring

As far as I can tell, the only remaining *new* stuff from "new tomorrowland" is Hista and Innoventions. Great track record, guys, way to go

Uncle Dick
02-13-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
subs-gone
circlevision-gone
peoplemover-gone
skyway-gone
captain eo- gone

rocket rods- gone
cosmic waves- gone
innoventions-blah

But at least they're updating it with some frequency. The new AT&T exhibit (which is rather underwhelming) opened just a couple months ago. At least there are plenty of video games to keep me amused.

hista- old

And what was Captain EO, which, BTW, hung around Tomorrowland for 11 years. Granted, HISTA has been at EPCOT for some time, but it's far from "old", at least in the sense that Captain EO was.

space-already there
star tours-already there

autopia-already there (nice redo, actually, though later than "new tl")
rocket jets- already there but made boring

The ride itself is visually more interesting and kinetic than the old Rocket Rods. It makes the Tomorrowland entrance very exciting, though some have complained about the diminished view (which I never much cared for).

As far as I can tell, the only remaining *new* stuff from "new tomorrowland" is Hista and Innoventions. Great track record, guys, way to go

Overall, you're right. It's sad that the centerpiece of the new land (Rocket Rods) is gone, with no replacement and that the other "new" attractions are both copied over from EPCOT (where they work a little better, IMHO). Disney had better focus on fixing Tomorrowland for the 50th anniversary celebration.

80S ERA
02-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

The ride itself is visually more interesting and kinetic than the old Rocket Rods. It makes the Tomorrowland entrance very exciting, though some have complained about the diminished view (which I never much cared for).

I think you're refering to the Rocket Jets, right? If you are, I agree and disagree with your point. Visually, yes -- the Astro Orbiter does provide something visually stimulating for the entrance. However, its old location served as a better spot for an attraction a guest could actually ride due to its height.

I think the non-rideable observatron was better suited at the entrance while the ridable astro orbiter should have been above the Rocket Rods loading platform.

Morrigoon
02-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Definitely.

Rocket Jets were actually fun for the older crowd, due to its height and great view. With Astro Orbiter, we may as well be riding Dumbo. Plus, it ruins the theming of the hub area. I know, each land presents a "face" to the hub, but you see, the others are all in the form of a gateway to the lands, whereas Tomorrowland just spills over in all its ugly brown glory. The kinetic part of the AO only works half the time anyway. I'd like to see a gateway that's bright and cheery, maybe white, silver, iridescent, perhaps some greens and blues, something that presents the face of an optimistic future. The sight of the Peoplemover cars on the track in front of TL was all the "kinetic stimulation" I needed. Also it did not so totally distract from Main Street.

Gemini Cricket
02-14-2002, 03:27 PM
Maybe they should close Tomorrowland down and start over. Space Mtn is awesome as is... but the rest... yikes! :eek:

JoeCanadian
02-14-2002, 03:42 PM
If they do plan on fixing Tomorrowland, I hope they consider going for a metallic silver/neon light look.

Nigel2
02-14-2002, 09:04 PM
I always wondered why they slowed down the top part of the AO, mabey it was damaging itself.:confused:

Metalic silver and Neon Ick!:eek:

JoeCanadian
02-14-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Metalic silver and Neon Ick!:eek:

<laughs> It's Disneyworld all over again!

But I do like the way they have it set up there at Orlando, at least from the pictures I've seen. Looked nice and futuristic.
I suppose it could be viewed as extremely sterile, but I've never seen it in person, so I don't know how it worked out.

Nigel2
02-14-2002, 10:16 PM
It works better over there (they have the stones coming out of the ground like we do). The Neon and silver feel more industiral, like part of MK's T land is. The front of MK's T land is comprised of 2 "convention halls" TK (gone or seasonal whatever) and the Extraterrorestrial Alein Encounter. Then there is the rest of the land.:)

coronamouseman
02-15-2002, 06:02 PM
Not surprising that Disney execs would consider Tomorrowland "closed" - they have wasted millions of dollars and many years in bringing to it's current state and it would probably cost them more to tear it down and put up some "intersellar" construction panels than to simply leave it as the hulk it is.

Why not just build an above-ground tunnel of dark plastic or acrylic which leads to Star Tours, Space Mt., HISTA, Autopia and the train station (ok - maybe another spur going toward the Matterhorn) - call it the "Forbidden Zone" and leave it at that.

SimpTwister
02-15-2002, 10:42 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again...

TEAR DOWN TOMORROWLAND!!!

All of it, to the last brick. Space, Star Tours, Sub Lagoon, CircleVision, everything.

Start over.

Through the years, they've always tried to fit new attractions into existing structures, walkways, etc.

You can get away with that a few times, but after a couple of decades, it just becomes a big mess.

Start over.

Tomorrowland covers enough area to become 2 or 3 new lands.

- Jules Verne type retro-future land (Discoveryland, Discovery Bay)
- NASA in the '60s-type retro-future land (like the old TL, but all fresh!)
- Star Wars-themed land ('nuff said)

Disneylandking
02-16-2002, 01:29 AM
<<Don't trust other web sites for Disney news.>>

Lol, give me a break.

Westcoaster is very reliable, some would say more reliable then the sight you are posting on. You might want to learn what a metaphor is before you decide to degrade the integrity of other sites.

MonorailMan
02-16-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Disneylandking
<<Don't trust other web sites for Disney news.>>

Lol, give me a break.

Westcoaster is very reliable, some would say more reliable then the sight you are posting on. You might want to learn what a metaphor is before you decide to degrade the integrity of other sites.

Let's not start a Flame war! :)

We all have the sites we visit.

BTW, I didn't know there were other disney sites! :D J/K!

Brad
02-17-2002, 11:14 PM
But at least on this site you don't have to worry about being censored.

If this were a different PLACE, I would not be LAUGHING.

:D