PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean [rehab rumor]

Pages : [1] 2

Pooh bear
07-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Does anybody know if it is official that they are closing it for refurb? If so when are they planning this closure? We are going around Thanksgiving... it's my Boyfriends favorite ride and doesnt want to go if it is gonna be closed.
Any Info?

Monte Cristo
07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Does anybody know if it is official that they are closing it for refurb? If so when are they planning this closure? We are going around Thanksgiving... it's my Boyfriends favorite ride and doesnt want to go if it is gonna be closed.
Any Info?

Right now the unofficial official word is that POTC will be shut down for refurb after the holidays for four months. THe original refurb sched, again unofficially, was Sept - December.

You guys should be fine in Thanksgiving.

Pooh bear
07-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Right now the unofficial official word is that POTC will be shut down for refurb after the holidays for four months. THe original refurb sched, again unofficially, was Sept - December.

You guys should be fine in Thanksgiving.

Thank you! I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Have a magical day!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-30-2005, 02:51 PM
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the refurb will indeed not be until after the 1st of the year.

BalooNumberTwo
07-30-2005, 04:55 PM
I am Knocking on Wood, Crossing my fingers, hoping and praying that they will be pushing the refurb back....I have 3 young boys that i have hyped up to see the pirates and now...it could be closed...Arrrrrrrr.

GrumpyUTboi
07-30-2005, 05:05 PM
we changed our plans so that we could ride the POTC.

Shadowcat
08-29-2005, 10:44 AM
The first trip to Disneyland with my family was May 2003 - Pirates was closed... and now we are planning are second trip in spring of next year and low and behold, Pirates will be closed again (March 6 to June 16). Is it too much to ask that they might somewhat stagger the refurbs at different times of year so those familys that go at the same time of year can see them?? Oh my goodness! LOL

Next thing I know, the Neverland Pool with be closed during my first stay at DLH! *chuckles*

HydroGuy
08-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Today, MousePlanet officially posted the refurb for POTC during March -June, 2006. See http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr050829.htm.

HydroGuy
08-29-2005, 11:19 AM
The first trip to Disneyland with my family was May 2003 - Pirates was closed... and now we are planning are second trip in spring of next year and low and behold, Pirates will be closed again (March 6 to June 16). Is it too much to ask that they might somewhat stagger the refurbs at different times of year so those familys that go at the same time of year can see them?? Oh my goodness! LOL

Next thing I know, the Neverland Pool with be closed during my first stay at DLH! *chuckles*As you are probably aware, if you want to go to DLR when there are minimal rides in refurb, you need to go during the summer. Any other time of year you are taking your chances. POTC is my favorite, and I too would be really disappointed to miss it.

pisces
08-29-2005, 11:34 AM

Next thing I know, the Neverland Pool with be closed during my first stay at DLH! *chuckles*

This may be a small consolation, but I found the Calico Mine Ride at Knotts Berry Farm to be very similar in mood and tone. The Mine Ride felt very pirates-ish.

And, I don't think they'll be closed in Spring. Knotts Mine Ride was already refurbished recently.

Shadowcat
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I guess I was hoping they would have started it in Jan. sometime and ended it in March. We can't afford to go very often, so it's just disappointing. *pouts* And we were thinking of delaying our trip, but the hotel rates go up and we'd have to find a cheaper hotel, not to mention it's better on our son if the crowds are light.

TowerofTerror
08-29-2005, 12:49 PM
well just go another trip when it opens back up

ILovePoker
08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure why people would totally change all of their plans for just 1 ride. Last time I was at Disneyland, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Enchanted Tiki Room, The Disneyland Railroad, Mark Twain and Minnie's House were ALL closed and we still had a great time.

On my previous trip before that, Pirates, Peter Pan, Mulholland Madness, Roger Rabbit, Mad Tea Party and Storybook Land were all closed, and we still had a great time.

Just because one ride is closed, I just can't see why people would go through all that hassle for one ride, which isn't even officially closing. While the website said that it's official Pirates will close doesn't mean anything because disneyland.com hasn't posted anything yet and that is the only website I can trust along with riderefurbs.com. :D

08-30-2005, 03:04 AM
I'm not sure why people would totally change all of their plans for just 1 ride. Last time I was at Disneyland, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Enchanted Tiki Room, The Disneyland Railroad, Mark Twain and Minnie's House were ALL closed and we still had a great time.

As the great philosopher said, the heart has its reasons of which the mind knows nothing. You love an attraction, you love it.

I'm that way about the old Submarine Voyage.

But what you say is true. You can still have a wonderful time at Disneyland and not get to everything by the time you leave, even with a number of attractions down.

RStar
08-30-2005, 05:22 AM
This may be a small consolation, but I found the Calico Mine Ride at Knotts Berry Farm to be very similar in mood and tone. The Mine Ride felt very pirates-ish.
You are joking, right?

Right? ;)

jrad32
08-30-2005, 07:56 AM
If you read Al's latest update on Mice Age it appears that we will be getting a movized version of Pirates when it comes back from rehab. Several Jack Sparrow AA's a Barbosa AA and several props from the movie will be making their way into the ride.

I plan to withhold my opinion until I see what they do, but my guess is that some DL purists are going to loose it when they read the article.

Shadowcat
08-30-2005, 08:07 AM
They are supposedly putting in a PotC Movie theme into it this time, or at least that's what they are saying over at Miceage. I've got mixed feelings about that really. I liked the movie and all, but not sure if I want the ride changed. The Ironic thing is, when I went in 2003, the ride was closed to refurb it before the red carpet movie event. Now it's closing again to add Captain Jack and Barbarosa (among other things) to the ride.

And having it closed is not going to ruin my trip, but having one of my favorite attractions closed twice in a row is disappointing. I remember sitting at the IHop after a day at the park and listening to a nearby family talk about what attractions they were going to go on the next day. All of the major ones they were excited to ride happened to be closed, they just didn't know it yet. It can't good when you've planned all year to go, and when you're at the gates you see that your favorite rides are closed. We knew about the closures in 2003 ahead of time, and there were a lot of them that spring. So we got the whole "we'll get them next trip" mentality. We're planning for WDW in 2007, hopefully Pirates will be open there! LOL!

jrad32
08-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Have you ever been to Pirates in WDW? If not prepare to be disappointed. The WDW version pales in comparison to the DL version.

Klutch
08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Have you ever been to Pirates in WDW? If not prepare to be disappointed. The WDW version pales in comparison to the DL version.

I can officially attest to this.

===========

The success of the movie was phenominal and it really makes sense for Disney to capitalize on it. I expect there will much moaning and groaning from purists about the changes to PoTC. However, we must realize that the vast majority of Disneyland visitors are only vaguely familiar with the attraction. Therefore, vast majority of Disneyland visitors will think it's great to see Captain Jack Sparrow and Barbarosa in PoTC.

HydroGuy
08-30-2005, 10:05 AM
The success of the movie was phenominal and it really makes sense for Disney to capitalize on it. I expect there will much moaning and groaning from purists about the changes to PoTC. However, we must realize that the vast majority of Disneyland visitors are only vaguely familiar with the attraction. Therefore, vast majority of Disneyland visitors will think it's great to see Captain Jack Sparrow and Barbarosa in PoTC.Count me as a purist who thinks the POTC update with movie add-ins is a good idea. POTC is 99% the same as 30 years ago. Not that it was dying, but the movie breathed new life into the POTC "brand". DL should run with it.

olegc
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Count me as a purist who thinks the POTC update with movie add-ins is a good idea. POTC is 99% the same as 30 years ago. Not that it was dying, but the movie breathed new life into the POTC "brand". DL should run with it.

I am in the same position - while I did not like the Polically correct changes (hey - history happens, why remove it!). I think subtle changes throughout the ride is a good thing. Who remembers the story three years ago that had a flaming skull at the end of the dark tunnel (prior to the battle scene) supposedly going in. that one caused a flood of chatter. These changes will be positive and I have all the confidence in Ouimett/Emmer and the Imagineers to make these changes the best Disney has to offer.

rfaljean
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Awesome!!! Not only do I get my Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones fix, but I can get a Johnny Depp/Capt'n Jack Sparrow fix in one trip!!!!!!

I think the movie tie in would be great. My kids and I watch the movie to see which scenes tie in with the attraction.....

I may have to renew our AP's for next year.... ;-)

olegc
08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Awesome!!! Not only do I get my Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones fix, but I can get a Johnny Depp/Capt'n Jack Sparrow fix in one trip!!!!!!

I think the movie tie in would be great. My kids and I watch the movie to see which scenes tie in with the attraction.....

I may have to renew our AP's for next year.... ;-)

um - well I don't think anyone said that the Indy character in TOTFE is Harrison - it's based on the "fictitious" Indiana. My guess is that capt Jack will have a tweak or two to ensure it's not an exact likeness... otherwise can you imagine the royalties?

rfaljean
08-30-2005, 11:10 AM
just ruin the magic... ;)

Shadowcat
08-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I have been to PotC in WDW and I must say the only drawback to it was the lack the second drop and what seemed like a lower hieght for the first drop. The line themeing is DEFINATELY better at WDW tho. Then again, they have more room to do that sort of thing there.