PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Light Parade refurb?

Pages : [1] 2

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
On another thread about Halloween in DCA someone mentioned something about ELP being down 9/5-5/26...is this true? (I thought i'd make a new post since that topic wasn't really related to it being shown at the halloween event...) anways, has anyone heard anything about this? :crying:

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 02:35 PM
It would make sense. Change a few light bulbs here and there. Fix any mechanical problems.

DangerMouse
07-28-2005, 02:44 PM
On another thread about Halloween in DCA someone mentioned something about ELP being down 9/5-5/26...is this true? (I thought i'd make a new post since that topic wasn't really related to it being shown at the halloween event...) anways, has anyone heard anything about this? :crying:

Yes, I just read a post from Darkbeer on another site that the EP's last date will be September 5th, and will not return until May 2006.

WHAAAAAA! The EP is my son's absolute favorite. He cries when he hears the music alone. Well, guess I gotta find a way to get to Anaheim before September 5!

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes, I just read a post from Darkbeer on another site that the EP's last date will be September 5th, and will not return until May 2006.Could you please tell me what site that is so I could read it? I'm going in September and I wanted to see it again! Sad!

minniemom
07-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Are you sure? I love the EP. This is one of my favorite parts. I would have thought with being the 50th the would have had one of the main classical things going. Bummer!!!

DangerMouse
07-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Could you please tell me what site that is so I could read it? I'm going in September and I wanted to see it again! Sad!I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to another disney site on this board, (maybe I am??). I read it on Miceage's board, Micechat. But I'll just copy and paste his post here. . .

"I forgot to add, the decision on the Electrical Parade at DCA has been made, its last day is September 5th, and will go to a refurb status, with a scheduled return in May of 2006." - Darkbeer

yeo_foxe
07-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to another disney site on this board, (maybe I am??). I read it on Miceage's board, Micechat. But I'll just copy and paste his post here. . .

"I forgot to add, the decision on the Electrical Parade at DCA has been made, its last day is September 5th, and will go to a refurb status, with a scheduled return in May of 2006." - DarkbeerI spoke to a friend who works that parade. That refurb is to fix some problems with the floats....

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Has this been confirmed? It's not on park updates or on the dl site...i'm sad now :(

DangerMouse
07-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Has this been confirmed? It's not on park updates or on the dl site...i'm sad now :(

Darkbeer is pretty much "in the know" on these things. I take his word for it. He also said that the Sept. schedule for parades/fireworks should be up in the next couple days. I'm just as sad, but am now looking at the end of August for a suicide trip to DCA for an EP fix.

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Haha...ya as soon as you said Darkbeer I knew I was in trouble...oh well there are always other trips.

pisces
07-28-2005, 04:06 PM
:mad: :confused: :( :crying:

SeansMom
07-28-2005, 04:11 PM
:crying: This was the absolute HIGHLIGHT of our last trip. It's my all time favorite parade...I was so looking forward to it on our trip in November. Hmmmm...August trip to DL may be calling my name....

stitchlvr
07-28-2005, 05:41 PM
This is disappointing since it is one of my favorites, but I can live with it as long as they bring it back. There is no way I can get there again before 9/5 so it will likely not be running for our next trip. Anyone have any idea what they will replace it with?

Darkbeer
07-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Let me state a couple of things, the info on the off-season entertainment schedule should be out sometime in the next week or two...

And as for the decision to place in the Electrical Parade into Refurb status was FINANCIAL, yes the floats needed some work, but they did not need to go down for 9 months. DCA has been used to running one parade 3 times a week during the off-season, and could not justify the cost of a second parade, especially since the new Block Party Bash is not driving additional ticket sales. The DEP should (there is never a guarantee at Disney) return for Summer Peak in 2006.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the folks at Disney are crunching numbers and looking at projected off-season crowds (using things like hotel reservations and travel packages, plus many other things) to see if they how much they should offer, and on which days they should run.

I think you will see the Parade of Dreams once daily, in the early evening (this allows many CM's to atttend school, then go to work). And more than likely twice daily on the weekends. A big problem is if they decide to offer both the Parade and Fireworks daily, with the park closing at 8 PM, it will create traffic problems...

As for the fireworks, now with the likely extension of Daylight Savings Time for an extra month, I think that will be the final issue that will have them only offer the fireworks on weekends, and when the park is offering extended holiday park hours. Logistics, along with costs just are not making this show work during the Monday thru Thursday off-season.

The biggest question is Fantasmic!, and if the park can "afford" to also offer it on the off-season weekends.... That is the major number crunching issue, and should be interesting to see what they decide...

DangerMouse
07-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Darkbeer, for clearing all that up for us. :D

kinglouie1967
07-28-2005, 05:56 PM
ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! That totally bites. I'm planning to visit in October -- the first time in a lonnnnnnng time -- and I was so looking forward to seeing the Electrical Parade.

DangerMouse, your son isn't the only one who cries when he hears that music. A couple years ago my wife got me the Disney music box set and the first time I heard the Main Street Electrical Parade, the memories of my first visit to Disneyland came pouring back.

My younger son also loves that music. He calls it "The Robot Song." I was looking forward to him seeing the actual parade, so maybe 30 years from now he'd hear that song again and remember his first trip to Disneyland.

I'm sure we'll have a great time no matter what, but that was something I really, really wanted to see with my family. And to read that the decision was financial?!!! I find it hard to believe they ain't getting a little uptick in business with all the 50th anniversary stuff. No EP would definitely take some of the magic out of it for me.

sdfilmcritic
07-28-2005, 06:42 PM
What's the Electrical Light Parade? :confused:

DangerMouse
07-28-2005, 07:30 PM
What's the Electrical Light Parade? :confused:

Oh, come on sd, you know not ALL of us are perfect in our Disney phrasing. I know and you know that it is the Electrical Parade. Or some of us old timers may even call it the Main Street Electrical Parade. But give some of those who are not complete and total Disney geeks a break. :geek:

:rolleyes:

sdfilmcritic
07-28-2005, 11:22 PM
^^ Okay, okay. I may be the Disney Geek and all. I even still refer to it as MSEP sometimes because I'm from the "old school" crowd on this. :geek: I'm just being a smart butt is all. :p

stan4d_steph
07-29-2005, 05:33 AM
I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to another disney site on this board, (maybe I am??). I read it on Miceage's board, Micechat.You can link to other message boards. Actually, we prefer that you link to a post from another board rather than copy and paste the text here. If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM a mod or admin. Also, you can take a look at our FAQ here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40).

merlinjones
07-29-2005, 06:51 AM
When the Main Street Electrical Parade returns from rehab, they should bring it back to Disneyland instead (where it belongs) - - that might be a cool way to switch things up for awhile -- bring the daytime Pixar parade and nightime MSEP to Disneyland next year, while sending Parade of Dreams to DCA for the summer.

DangerMouse
07-29-2005, 07:28 AM
When the Main Street Electrical Parade returns from rehab, they should bring it back to Disneyland instead (where it belongs) - - that might be a cool way to switch things up for awhile -- bring the daytime Pixar parade and nightime MSEP to Disneyland next year, while sending Parade of Dreams to DCA for the summer.

I like your idea of bringing back MSEP to DL, but bringing a Pixar character parade to Main St. in DL won't happen. And they would never send a parade with all Disney Classic characters out of DL. They obviously belong on MS in DL.

My vote would be to keep BPB in DCA, bring back MSEP to DL at night and have PoD run only during the day (where I would easily miss it during my afternoon nap at the hotel). Perfection!

Osky
07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
I wonder if this is wise. Hopefully it doesn't result in even lower numbers for DCA. So, if they are looking at it from a financial reason, I wonder if they have thought about the number of people it potentially draws.

pisces
07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Daylight Savings is being extended a month? I thought we went through this. That's not supposed to take effect till 2006, if that. The energy bill hasn't been passed in both the House and Senate, or has it?

If there's no standard time for Halloween; that means it won't get dark until 7:00 ish :eek: . And, Halloween is on a Monday. Kids can't stay up that late, that long to wait until it gets completely dark.

Also, the Block Party Bash is not classic Disney. The EP is classic, and serves their 50th theme well.

Finally: does anyone know if Monday, Jan 02, 2006 is a legal holiday? Usually the day after New Years, when New Years falls on a Sunday.....is also a holiday.....that following Monday. So, that would mean that Monday, Dec 26, is also a legal holiday....well....that whole week (after Dec. 25, I consider one big long holiday. But, mainly Monday, January 02.....might be a legal holiday. The last time New Years fell on a Sunday, was the turn of the Century (Time sure flys)....and I can't remember if the following Monday was considered a legal Holiday or not.

phoenixfire2k5
07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Actually, if the bill passes, it won't take effect till 2007. I think one reason is, probably insignificant and minor, but its because 2006 calendars are already being printed. :p