PDA

View Full Version : best beach near Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

Rteneyck
07-28-2005, 10:54 AM
We are going to Disneyland and would like to spend 1 day at a beach. Which is the best beach to visit that would have easy parking along with restaurants and kid friendly. Any suggestions would be helpful.

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 10:57 AM
We are going to Disneyland and would like to spend 1 day at a beach. Which is the best beach to visit that would have easy parking along with restaurants and kid friendly. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Best beaches are Newport and Huntington. Huntington Beach pier is near Beach Blvd, that runs right by Knotts Berry Farm. You can reach Newport and Balboa Piers going down Harbor Blvd from Disneyland. (Note that Harbor will eventually stop and run into Newport Blvd, but continue going south). Both Balboa and Huntington Piers have a Rubys Diner on the ends of them and they have really good food. Both of them are two stories. Though the one at Huntington is bigger, their second story is inside. Where at Balboa, the second level is actually on the roof, on the outside.

Visit this site (http://www.rubys.com/) to see what Ruby's has to offer.

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Huntington Beach! They have everything, its nicknamed "Surf City" I went last year and didn't surf, we rented boogey boards (like $8 a piece or something) just swam and hung out in the sun. At the end of the pier is a Ruby's Diner that overlooks the ocean..very cool! They have lots of little shops and restaurants in the HB "downtown" area. That would be my suggestion with a family, we found parking spots very easily. www.vistithb.com I'm going there again in September, this time to learn to surf!!
My advice is to look at the different sites. Other good beaches are Newport (has fashion island, more shopping then most, and a little carnival area) and Laguna Beach (lots of art galleries and artsy stuff) Again, my personal best bet would be HB for a family.

Have fun wherever you end up! :D

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 11:00 AM
:p

Hoppypooh
07-28-2005, 11:04 AM
I actually asked the very same question but on a different site and the responses were overwhelmingly in favour of Huntington, so that is where we will be going in September.

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Well yeah, Huntington actually does have more there as compared to Balboa or Newport. There are no shops near Balboa. But that's what makes it peaceful. But it tops Newport because of the Rubys at the end of the pier. There is a restaurant at the end of Newport, but it's no Rubys. Newport has some shops in the area, as well as this pizza place that really smells so good everytime I have passed it. But Huntington does have more to do there. A nice shopping district that also has movie theaters.

lauras5boys
07-28-2005, 11:11 AM
We love Laguna Beach. I grew up in Huntington Beach and it's nice but Laguna is much nicer and a bit quieter. I also love Doheny Beach because it has a great grass/picnic area for the kids.

Black Pearl
07-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Huntington!

phillyorig
07-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Huntington!!
We went to the STATE PARK. It was a little cheaper for us. You pay by the car load not hourly at the beach near the pier.

Had a great time BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE ONE'S THAT SHOULDN'T BE THERE!!!!! :~D
Keep valuables hidden. Had a problem with one that was "searching". Even took pics of him "just in case"
You can take anything on the state beach as long as its in cans :D

Keep your shoes on while walking in the sand. Cut my toe, pretty bad ,walking barefoot (sure anin't the Jersey Shore :|)

TAKE SUN SCREEN AND PUT IT ON ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!
Got really tan but had some sunburn on places I don't know I had skin there :D

have fun

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Note that Huntington does get really crowded on the weekends.

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 12:10 PM
But it looks to be unanimous, Rteneyck. Everyone here seems to vote for Huntington. If you want quiet and low crowds, I'd say balboa. But if you want shops, people, and atmosphere, then go with Huntington.

Hakuna Makarla
07-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Huntington Beach! They have everything, its nicknamed "Surf City" I went last year and didn't surf, we rented boogey boards (like $8 a piece or something) just swam and hung out in the sun. At the end of the pier is a Ruby's Diner that overlooks the ocean..very cool! They have lots of little shops and restaurants in the HB "downtown" area. That would be my suggestion with a family, we found parking spots very easily. www.vistithb.com (http://www.vistithb.com/) I'm going there again in September, this time to learn to surf!!
My advice is to look at the different sites. Other good beaches are Newport (has fashion island, more shopping then most, and a little carnival area) and Laguna Beach (lots of art galleries and artsy stuff) Again, my personal best bet would be HB for a family.

Have fun wherever you end up! :D

your Link does not work. Also how far from knotts is this place?

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 12:19 PM
your Link does not work. Also how far from knotts is this place?

Using Yahoo Yellow Pages, the address of the Knotts Berry Farm Hotel right next to the theme park (used to be the radisson) as the starting address, the address for Ruby's Diner on the end of the Huntington Beach pier, it is approximately 12.8 miles from Knotts Berry Farm.

And yes, that link apparantly doesn't work right now. Use this link (http://surfcityusa.com/).

Skunker
07-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Are there any bus routes that could take us from the DL area to Huntington Beach?

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Yep, you will want route 43, to route 50, to route 29. Visit www.octa.net for bus info.

And just for extra info, Route 43 is Harbor Blvd, the same that runs by Disneyland. Route 50 is Katella Avenue. The same by Disneyland. And Route 29 is Beach Blvd, the one that goes by Knotts Berry Farm. Route 29 will let you off near the Huntington Beach Pier.

Rteneyck
07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
thanks everyone! It sounds like we will be doing Huntington! I appreciate all of the input.

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 12:45 PM
You're welcome. Glad to be of service. :)

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I am going to HB this September for the 2nd time, I am also taking surfing lessons from Corky's Surf School (anyone farmiliar?) anyways, the site says that the lessons are at Bolsa Chica State Beach Lifeguard Tower 18, how far is this from the Ruby's/Pier area? How far walking does anyone know? Thanks.

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I am going to HB this September for the 2nd time, I am also taking surfing lessons from Corky's Surf School (anyone farmiliar?) anyways, the site says that the lessons are at Bolsa Chica State Beach Lifeguard Tower 18, how far is this from the Ruby's/Pier area? How far walking does anyone know? Thanks.

It'll be west of HB pier. Not sure how far though, or by tower number. Bolsa Chica beach is basically the next beach up from Huntington if you're coming from there, heading towards Long Beach.

phillyorig
07-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Note that Huntington does get really crowded on the weekends.

We went on a Wed.

LOVED seeing the surfers....

My kids even saved a surf borad from one that got away!!!!

That day was like "PAY IT FORWARD!!!"
(till the next day when dd lost her pass)

JosieGirl71
07-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Although I haven't been to Huntington Beach in decades, I fell in love with Laguna Beach when we were there in December. It was beautiful and my boys loved the ocean. They even got to swim near a pod of dolphins. The beach also had great tide pools. And then there are all the shops and restaurants! Whichever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time. :D

Black Pearl
07-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Another draw at Huntington beach is the people fishing off the pier. We have passed alot of time, just watching them.

ILoveChurros
07-28-2005, 07:59 PM

When exactly are you going? Because they are having a surfing competition right now at Huntington and the beach gets more crowded than usual. So if its after then you should be ok with crowds most of the time. I however recommend Newport b/c its where I rent a beachhouse, its cleaner than HB, its a great place to walk around, beware that parking is hard to find though!

WITron
07-28-2005, 08:56 PM
But it looks to be unanimous, Rteneyck. Everyone here seems to vote for Huntington. If you want quiet and low crowds, I'd say balboa. But if you want shops, people, and atmosphere, then go with Huntington.

I have to agree with Balboa. Of course I may have a bias, since I have alot of fun memories of going there in my high school years, nothing like hanging out at Baboa late into the evening the night before the SAT.

Smeecanada
07-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Huntington Beach sounds great. Especially with Ruby's at the end. On Aug 28 we are heading up to Anaheim to visit the mouse from San Diego and it sounds like a great place to stop for lunch on the way. I have great maps but local directions would be great on how to get there coming from San Diego. Plus, directions on how to get to Harbour Blvd when leaving - we're staying at BW Park Place.