PDA

View Full Version : What's new at DL -- in the past 25 years or so?

kinglouie1967
07-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to gathering as much information as possible here at the MousePad in preparation for my first trip to Disneyland in about 25-30 years!

So...is there anything new? :D

Seriously, me, the wife and my two boys -- ages 11 and 6 -- will be there for a long weekend in early October. We've been to WDW several times over the past decade, but this is our first family trip to DL.

My hope is that some of you DL veterans can suggest to me the can't-miss attractions, shows and restaurants that one wouldn't find at WDW or are different from those at WDW.

I'm particularly interested in reading opinions about the original attractions, especially those in Fantasyland like "Pinocchio's Daring Adventure," "Story Book Land Canal Boats" and "Alice in Wonderland."

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

coronado_g
07-27-2005, 07:41 PM
You should definitely see Fantasmic. It'll knock your socks off.
The new firework show "Remember..." is a given. Actually, if you haven't been there in 25 years, just plan on trying to see EVERYTHING! After that length of time, even Main Street will feel like brand-new to you. Enjoy!

coronado_g
07-27-2005, 07:43 PM
p.s. learn the intricacies of the Fast Pass system. You'll be glad you took the time to figure it out BEFORE you go.

borcham
07-27-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm particularly interested in reading opinions about the original attractions, especially those in Fantasyland like "Pinocchio's Daring Adventure," "Story Book Land Canal Boats" and "Alice in Wonderland."

Disneyland's Fantasyland underwent an extensive refurb in 1983, transforming it from the look of a Medieval Fair to that of a timeless European village. Pinocchio was among the additions, replacing the Fantasyland Theater.

The canal boats have undergone incremental changes over the years, and to my mind are more beautiful than ever. Horticulturalists and appreciators of the art of miniatures will especially appreciate it's beauty. Since you've last seen it you will find tasteful additions of more modern Disney animated pictures added to the landscape.

Alice also received a substantial facelift with the addition of audio animatronic characters, a more linear telling of the tale, and a fabulous frenetic finale. This is my favorite among the Fantasyland dark rides.

Some of the 'essentials' that have been added since 1980 are: Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, and the new Space Mountain. Some classic attractions have been updated and are well worth revisiting if they weren't already high on the priority list: Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Autopia.

The Disneyland experience has also been vastly plussed with extraordinary entertainment. Parade of Dreams, Fantasmic! and Remember...Dreams Come True are not to be missed! Treat the kids to a real marching band performance. Ask at City Hall when they'll be on the Mark Twain and ride along with them. Check the entertainment schedule for the Dapper Dans and be sure to take in Rod Miller's virtuoso Ragtime takes on Disney classics at the end of Main Street.

As with Fantasyland, in a quarter century the rest of the park has evolved so much that it's virtually not the same place. Even the pavement under your feet back then has since been replaced with that which better fits the theme of it's respective land.

Get the lay of today's Disneyland. Invest in Birmbaum's Official and Sehlinger's Unofficial guides. Read them both with an open mind and let them feed into your anticipation. Have fun!!

phoenixfire2k5
07-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Or just go to Disneyland.com to see what is new there. That is the easiest. :D :p

leotatoombs
07-28-2005, 01:32 AM
Check the entertainment schedule for the Dapper Dans and be sure to take in Rod Miller's virtuoso Ragtime takes on Disney classics at the end of Main Street.His schedule is usually wed-sat 5 to close then plays on sundays during the day. But he has not been there since at least mid april! bummer I miss him! I heard from an old timer I recognized on DL's BD and he said rod was recovering from surgery & no one really knows if & when He Will Return! rumor, I guess of course, or at least I Hope!!!!!
:|

Pat-n-Eil
07-28-2005, 07:47 AM
And at the risk of being flamed - there is a brand new park next door: Disney's California Adventure.

I highly recommend getting the parkhopper tickets if you are going for a multi-day trip and checking out this park while you are there. The 11 year old will probably like it very much.. The 6 year old will depend on a sense of adventure and height. :)

The 6 year old will probably enjoy the Fantasyland stuff more than the 11 year old will.. But attractions in Fantasyland aren't FastPass so advise using an early entry and heading for Fantasyland.

Of course, the Matterhorn would be a must-do for all and Space Mountain if your 6 year old is up to it.

And my standard banter: If you are staying on property (Paradise Pier, Disneyland Hotel or the new Grand Californian) investigate booking through AAA and get a discounted rate AND the enhanced FastPass that allows you to get all available FastPasses for FastPass rides at the same time.

cosmicjive
07-28-2005, 09:20 AM
If you do go to California Adventure (which I highly recommend, especially during peak afternoon hours at Disneyland), here are the attractions that are not to be missed:

Soarin' Over California: This is the ride that universally blows away everyone who sees it, and it's appropriate for the whole family. This should be your top priority.

Grizzly River Run: Be prepared to get very wet.

Tower of Terror: From the sounds of it, you may have already seen this in Florida. May be too much for the little ones.

California Screamin': Roller coaster in every sense of the word.

Muppetvision 3D and It's Tough to be a Bug: Once again, you may already be familiar with Muppetvision from Florida. I prefer It's Tough to be a Bug, which is the same basic concept.

Also, I can't remember the name of it, but there is a live improvisation show that takes place in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, just opposite Muppetvision. If you get the chance to catch it, I highly recommend it.

While DCA certainly doesn't measure up to Disneyland, I think it is nonetheless underrated. I treat it like just another land within Disneyland, and wander over when the DL crowds get overwhelming. I would easily rate Soarin, Grizzly River Run, California Screamin', and Tower of Terror up there with the best rides at Disneyland.

-Jeff "etumor"

Disney Vault
07-28-2005, 10:04 AM
I agree that you should check out DCA too. And so much has changed at the resort in the past 25 years it will be a totally new experience. Borcham covered that all very well.

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 10:06 AM
His/her first sight at DCA will be "Didn't there used to be a parking lot here?" lol :p

kinglouie1967
07-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks again everyone.

I've used Sehlinger's books for WDW trips with good results (plus, Bob's a funny guy). For this trip, I thought I'd subscribe to Ridemax to help me with trip planning. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's a great service.

I definitely plan on visiting DCA. My younger son loves the song for the "Main Street Electrical Parade," so we've got to hit that. And I've been looking forward to Soarin'.

That's too bad about the Ragtime guy. I love jazz, so that, for me, would be a can't miss. I'm wondering if he's similar to Chris Calabrese. Perhaps I can find a Rod Miller CD at the park.

At Disneyland, I'm looking forward to the Matterhorn. If my little guy is OK with that, I'll try getting him on Space Mountain. The other attraction I have to see at Disneyland is the Haunted Mansion. The last time I was there, I ran out screaming and crying!

From what you wrote, borcham, it sounds like my wife might enjoy the canal boats the most. One of her favorite Epcot attractions is Living with the Land. I find it dreadfully boring, but, then, I'd rather eat a giant doughnut that a giant cucumber.

I read that PotC is going to be under rehab when I'm there, so that's a drag. I guess we'll have to make a second trip to Disneyland!

Gee, maybe now I'll check out -- what is it again? -- disneyland.com? Thanks, phoenixfire2k5! Sounds like there might be some useful info there. :rolleyes: :)

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 10:36 AM
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/home/home?name=HomePage&bhcp=1 try that link.

squuggy
07-28-2005, 10:43 AM
And don't forget Downtown Disney--the perfect place to wind down after a fun-filled day at the parks.

Disney Vault
07-28-2005, 10:59 AM
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/home/home?name=HomePage&bhcp=1 try that link.
I think this is even better than the official site.
http://visionsfantastic.com/cmps_index.php?page=ResortMap

phoenixfire2k5
07-28-2005, 11:04 AM
I think this is even better than the official site.
http://visionsfantastic.com/cmps_index.php?page=ResortMap

Yeah, it so fits. Its even got the corny intro music! lol :fez:

coronado_g
07-28-2005, 12:25 PM
While DCA certainly doesn't measure up to Disneyland, I think it is nonetheless underrated. I treat it like just another land within Disneyland, and wander over when the DL crowds get overwhelming.
-Jeff "etumor"
I like that description! That is an excellent way to consider DCA - as another land within DL. This is the first time I've ever read it described like that.