PDA

View Full Version : Disney Credit Card/Points

Pages : [1] 2

kimc0486
07-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I just got a Disney credit cards a few months ago, and am going to DL in September and am planning to use points that I have gotten. The info that came with the card didn't seem to be very clear. For example, if I have 25 points, does that mean it is equal to $25 that can be used in the park? If anyone has used these points from the card, how long did it take you to get them sent to you and were they fairly easily used within the park? Thanks!

lauramaynot
07-27-2005, 12:45 PM
I just got a Disney credit cards a few months ago, and am going to DL in September and am planning to use points that I have gotten. The info that came with the card didn't seem to be very clear. For example, if I have 25 points, does that mean it is equal to $25 that can be used in the park? If anyone has used these points from the card, how long did it take you to get them sent to you and were they fairly easily used within the park? Thanks!

Hi there again. I have this card too. you need to call the rewards center listed on your bill they will issue you a credit card with the funds on it. 25 points is $25. do this as soon as possible since it may take a week or two for it to reach you. If you get more $$ before your trip you can call and they will transfer the balance to your card. Keep the card and transfer your balances from then on. the card works just like a credit card and you can use it anywhere in the park. DH and I used our first $50 at the blue bayou. Good luck.

kimc0486
07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
So if I called to get the card today I could have them transferring the balance up until I was there, is it an immediate thing? Thanks, your info was great!

AcuraTL
07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
So if I called to get the card today I could have them transferring the balance up until I was there, is it an immediate thing? Thanks, your info was great!

Better yet, if you have access to the Internet, as I am sure you do, you can do all of this online. Just sign-on to view your bill, and then on one of the drop down boxes, select manager rewards and it will let you order a card with a mininum of $10 and a maximum of 2 cards. Plus, they will send you a little packet to explain how to use the card.

Maus
07-27-2005, 02:49 PM

The Internet is what I use. Points are transferred immediately. The rewards card is accepted at any location that takes credit cards so it's very easy to use. I buy everything with my credit card to maximize my earnings--the important thing, however, is to pay it off every month! :~D

Earkid
07-27-2005, 03:07 PM
You need to have at least $10 reward dollars to transfer them. So when you get your card don't transfer until a few days before you leave, that way you don't risk having, for example, $8 reward dollars that you are unable to transfer and use on your trip. Getting the card is what takes the longest amount of time, after that transferring reward dollars can be done instantaneously.

We love having our reward dollars. We used the VISA card to remodel the house and I also put a hugh tuition payment on it just to get the reward points. We usually have enough points at the end of the year to renew our annual passes.

scaeagles
07-27-2005, 03:12 PM
My family has also taken to using our DL Visa for purchasing everything we can.

In the last 6 months we've had almost $10,000 dollars of medical bills that we were reimbursed for by our health insurance. We took their cash, paid the providers with our Visa, paid off the Visa with the cash, got about $100 in DL money.

Susan L
07-27-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm so glad that someone posted this thread. I to just got a Disney Visa and have a some questions if you don't mind. Do you have to use the reward points up by the end of the year that you earned them? For example I am using my DVC for everything and paying to earn as much points as I can between now and Feb when we go on our next trip. Will I be able to use the reward points that I earned this year for that trip or do I have to use them this year. Is the rewards card like a gift card or another credit card?

Earkid
07-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Susan L, I'll try to answer some of your questions. I have had to read alot on the Disney Visa website to figure all this out and then again there are things I am not too clear on.
Do you have to use the reward points up by the end of the year that you earned them? For example I am using my DVC for everything and paying to earn as much points as I can between now and Feb when we go on our next trip. Will I be able to use the reward points that I earned this year for that trip or do I have to use them this year. No, your reward points are good for awhile. The reason I am not definitive on that is because I think they just changed the rules a bit. They used to expire in like 7 years but now I think they expire in 2 years. I could be wrong on that but I know that you should be able to use your rewards with in the time frame you stated.

On to your next question:
Your Is the rewards card like a gift card or another credit card?The card is more like a gift card, doesn't have a VISA logo or anything. ONE IMPORTANT POINT - This card has an expiration date on it!!! If you transfer your reward points to this card and it expires 12/05 any points still on the card will be lost after the card expires. You can not transfer them back to the "bank" or onto another card. Once they are transferred they are there till you use them. So don't transfer them until you know you will have them used before the exp date.

Our first card exp 12/04. Our next trip was in 2/05 so we ordered a new card in Jan and the new exp date is 12/06.

:geek:

Susan L
07-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Earkid, great info, I will have to go on the website. Thanks so much.

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 08:42 AM
How many points do you have to have initially to order the card? 10? Or more for the first card? Thanks.

Earkid
07-28-2005, 08:50 AM
How many points do you have to have initially to order the card? 10? Or more for the first card? Thanks.You can order the card at any time but you have to have at least $10 reward dollars banked to do a transfer.

Another point, you don't have to transfer in increments of $10, as long as you have at least that much you can transfer any odd dollar amount.

It is amazing how fast these points add up (or maybe I am spending way too much money :eek: )

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Ok. I think I get it. So lets say I get the first card and I get an initial 11 points, to transfer I have to have at least ten, I cant transfer like 8? When requesting a card, if I have more then 10 points, do I have to transfer them all, or can I request just 10 so I can get another increment of 10 faster? (hope that made sense) Thanks!

Earkid
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
So lets say I get the first card and I get an initial 11 points, to transfer I have to have at least ten, I cant transfer like 8? You can not transfer 8, only 10 or more.
When requesting a card, if I have more then 10 points, do I have to transfer them all, or can I request just 10 so I can get another increment of 10 faster?You don't have to transfer all your points, you don't have to tranfer any points initially. You can just order the card to have on hand for when you are ready to transfer them. Also keep in mind that there are other ways to use your points than using the reward card. From the Disney VISA website you can buy Video's and CD's. Points transfered to the reward card can also be used on the Disney Direct website.

This infomercial has been brought to you by Shayne :)

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks!! you cleared that up A LOT!

redcon1
07-28-2005, 01:01 PM
One more thing, when using your reward dollars, your purchase has to be equal to or less than the amount on your reward card.
In other words, if you're buying something for a $100, and you have $50 on your card, you can't use that $50 and make up the difference with another form of payment. The charge will be rejected.
We found out the hard way when we were paying for our Blue Bayou dinner in May. Our bill was $48 and we had $23 on our card, thinking we'll pay cash for the other $25. The waiter came back and said it was rejected so we ended up paying the enitre bill in cash.
We later found out how to use it correctly and ended up buying $23 in souvenirs.

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 01:06 PM
That sucks! I thought it would be just like a gift card, so the purchase has to be exact, (or less?) you cant make it up at all with cash?

Earkid
07-28-2005, 01:15 PM
One more thing, when using your reward dollars, your purchase has to be equal to or less than the amount on your reward card.
In other words, if you're buying something for a $100, and you have $50 on your card, you can't use that $50 and make up the difference with another form of payment. The charge will be rejected.
We found out the hard way when we were paying for our Blue Bayou dinner in May. Our bill was $48 and we had $23 on our card, thinking we'll pay cash for the other $25. The waiter came back and said it was rejected so we ended up paying the enitre bill in cash.
We later found out how to use it correctly and ended up buying $23 in souvenirs.This is not true. I have used my rewards card on 5 separate visits to DL and I have never had my card rejected because there were not enough reward dollars on it. During our last trip in June I had $123 on my reward card and I spent over $200 at WOD. I handed the CM both my rewards card and my VISA. She first used the reward card and then put the balance on my VISA.

If the CM says your card is rejected tell them to use the balance on the rewards card and put the rest on another credit card or give them cash. They should NOT reject the card simply because you spent more than is on the card. If all else fails, ask for a supervisor, manager, lead, whatever. Because what happened to redcon1 should not be happening if you get a CM that knows about the Rewards cards and how to run them.

Maus
07-28-2005, 01:25 PM
This is not true. I have used my rewards card on 5 separate visits to DL and I have never had my card rejected because there were not enough reward dollars on it.

I have had the same experience. You just have to give them both forms of payment if there's not enough on your rewards card.

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Ok, phew! Good to know, thanks guys!

kimc0486
07-28-2005, 02:21 PM
I was just on the disney visa website and I tried to order a rewards card (blank as a previous poster said) and it said I had to have a minimum of 20 points to order it initially!! :mad: Has anyone gotten around this, can I call requesting just a blank one?

Earkid
07-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I was just on the disney visa website and I tried to order a rewards card (blank as a previous poster said) and it said I had to have a minimum of 20 points to order it initially!! :mad: Has anyone gotten around this, can I call requesting just a blank one?Sorry Kim, that is something I don't know. I ordered my first card several years ago and, like I said before they have made a few changes to the rules since then. This may be one of the changes. :(

Susan L
07-28-2005, 04:36 PM
I love all this info on this subject. I hope to be able to rack up enough reward points between now and Feb so I can use the reward points to help with the food budget.

tinkluver
07-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I was just on the disney visa website ...
What is the website?
Thanks!

DISNEYfied
07-28-2005, 06:19 PM
This is not true. I have used my rewards card on 5 separate visits to DL and I have never had my card rejected because there were not enough reward dollars on it. During our last trip in June I had $123 on my reward card and I spent over $200 at WOD. I handed the CM both my rewards card and my VISA. She first used the reward card and then put the balance on my VISA.

If the CM says your card is rejected tell them to use the balance on the rewards card and put the rest on another credit card or give them cash. They should NOT reject the card simply because you spent more than is on the card. If all else fails, ask for a supervisor, manager, lead, whatever. Because what happened to redcon1 should not be happening if you get a CM that knows about the Rewards cards and how to run them.

I agree. The case with redcon1 was that the CMs that rang him up probably did not know how to run the rewards cards... in my experience as someone who works the register, if your purchase exceeds the amount on your card he/she has to enter the amount on your card, swipe it and then that will allow you to pay the difference w/ whatever form of payment you want. For example.. if your total comes to $125 but your rewards card has $55 on it, they have to enter $55 into the register and then swipe your card first before you can pay the difference. Well thats how my register works...

The reason for this is because rewards cards, just like rebate cards from say cingular or whatever company are run as credit/debit cards... not gift cards so they are only allowed to charge whatever particular amount is on the card and not anything more. Hope that helps you guys out.