PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions for a solo visit

PeteF
07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I was all set to take the family to Disneyland when my wife injured her back and needed to go in for surgery. Needless to say, we had to cancel our trip. We cancelled back in May and I am still waiting for a refund from Walt Disney Travel Co. and from the travel insurance. I’m not worried because I know it will arrive eventually, just be aware that when you cancel a trip you have already paid for, refunds take 2 -3 months to be processed (or so I was told). Anyway, the family and I will go next year and try to catch the tail end of the 50th, but in the mean time I am going down to San Diego for a business trip so I am adding an extra day and a half to go visit Disneyland!

I have always wanted to go and visit the park at a leisurely pace so that I can learn more about the history, gain a better understanding of Walt Disney’s vision for the park and to just walk around and admire all the little details. I can’t think of a better time to do this than the 50th celebration!

Here are some of the things I was planning of doing/seeing
A Walk in Walt’s Foot Steps Tour (seems like this should start me off on the right foot)
Main Street – Go through Main Street sloooowly and enjoy as opposed to sprinting through on the way to rides.
Ride Queue Lines – There is so much to see in the ride queue lines like Indiana Jones and Roger Rabbit, I thought I would just try to spend more time looking around. Any other good queue lines?
Innoventions – Another place to take my time and explore.
Out of the way areas – Like the one that goes by Snow White’s Grotto
Mark Twain Riverboat / Sailing Ship Columbia – Another place to check out all the attention to detail.
Disney Gallery

Things I would Love to do (not realistic but still would be nice)
The Fort on Tom Sawyer Island – I have heard that it is closed permanently, but it would be nice just to check it out reminisce a bit.
Cast Areas – A behind the scene tour would be incredible! Pirates would be my first choice, but I would take any opportunity I could.
Club 33!!! – A tour or lunch here would be a dream come true! From the few pictures I have seen, I can only imagine how grand the place must look first hand!

These are the things that came to my mind, but I am curious if anyone else has any suggestions or 'can't miss' things to check out while I have the chance. And if you know of any ways to gain access behind the scenes or to Club 33, I'll take that info too!

Thanks much!

Peter

borcham
07-26-2005, 03:22 PM
I am curious if anyone else has any suggestions or 'can't miss' things to check out while I have the chance. And if you know of any ways to gain access behind the scenes or to Club 33, I'll take that info too!

I love going to Disneyland with my wife, family, and friends; especially if someone in our group has never been. But, I like flying solo just as much, if not a bit more for the very reasons you've cited.

Taking your time to smell the roses is a big part of that, but, not first thing in the morning. Think what attractions you would take in whether you were with family or not. Pirates? Haunted Mansion? Splash Mountain? Space Mountain? Peter Pan? These are all 'sprint to' rides usually best taken in first thing in the morning.

Do the sprinting (or if you're like me, a fast walk!) as soon as the park opens and just for the first hour. From there, turn off the afterburners and begin your quest for the perfect saunter.

Among that which I enjoy when in 'Disneyland stroll mode' are: Purchase a new Disney book from the gallery and take in a leisurly lunch at the Blue Bayou (Be sure to ask for a water view when you check in). Sit in the balcony at the Golden Horseshoe. Visit the grotto next to the castle. Occupy a bench in the hub and people watch. Take a ride on the Mark Twain up in the pilot house. Take in the flag retreat and watch Main Street light up as the sun dips below the horizon. Take time to truly browse the shops and buy a souvenir (gasp!) for myself. Ride your favorite attractions over and over using the single rider queue. Try and best your own score on Buzz Lightyear (it's addicting!). Make reservations for Gallery seating for Fantasmic!

For DCA: Take your time and really enjoy the bread and tortilla factories. It's actually very interesting and put together make for a great pick me up in the afternoon. Enjoy Golden Dream. Bring a golf ball with you on board Soarin': If you're lucky you can situate yourself next to a child. When the film golf ball comes whizzing past your head, pretend to catch it and hand the real deal to the child next to you. You'll give him/her the thrill of their life. Enjoy lunch outside at Whitewater Snacks (in the Grand Californian), either by the pool or overlooking GRR.

My list goes on but hopefully this is enough to fire your imagination. Have fun!

Gone2Disneyland
07-26-2005, 05:06 PM
These are the things that came to my mind, but I am curious if anyone else has any suggestions or 'can't miss' things to check out while I have the chance. And if you know of any ways to gain access behind the scenes or to Club 33, I'll take that info too!

I go solo often, and it's great to just roam and relax without any need for a plan. My big thing when I go alone is looking for new images to take photos of with my digital camera. I've found lots of park details I hadn't noticed before.

They also have the Hidden 50's throughout the park, so you can play that game, hunting them down, as you roam.

I like enjoying a simple breakfast of Mickey Mouse pancakes from the River Belle Terrace, with a view of the Rivers of America. I enjoy the flag lowering ceremony too. I enjoy finding the street entertainment as it happens during my visits thru Main Street or Tomorrowland, or seeing how other park guests react to them since I go so often.

So my suggestion is to not plan so much and just relax and enjoy your time discovering what you find as you roam. But get there at opening to make a full day of it. And bring your camera.

PeteF
07-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks much for the ideas. You have definitely got my mind spinning with the different possibilities. The golf ball idea is excellent . . can't wait to try it. I also plan to not plan too much otherwise I'll miss the whole point of having a leisurely tour of Disneyland.

Thanks again