PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs & WDW

DisneyMar
07-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I am going back in Oct...just came back from there in July. I need to have back surgery - so all the walking was terribly painful. I'm fairly certain the right thing for me to do is get a wheelchair - which is a tough decision to make in the first place - any advice for a first time wheelchair user?

LeslieM
07-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Probably better to go to Column Discussions and check out the Theme Park Access Guide and go to Teri's site >pixiedustinn.com<. Lots of good info out there.

KJSJpipe
07-26-2005, 01:35 PM
allearsnet.com is a good site to look at too.

Cheshire Figment
07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
If you are going to WDW your best bet is to go to www.disboards.com which is primarily for WDW. One of the forums is "disABILTIES" which is similar to this forum but larger. When you get to the index page, look at about the 5th item down which is the "disABILTIES FAQ". It has a lot of information about wheelchairs and ECVs, along with listing several off-site companies which many of us have used.

We tend to recommend the use of off-site companies so you will have the chair or ECV for your entire stay. Also, the ones from off-site are less expensive and more maneuverable than the ones Disney rents.

The people who do Passporter have been working with the "DisABILTIES" people as well as AllEarsNet to come out with a Guidebook for WDW with disabilities, but the book is not out yet.

KJSJpipe
07-26-2005, 04:24 PM
The people who do Passporter have been working with the "DisABILTIES" people as well as AllEarsNet to come out with a Guidebook for WDW with disabilities, but the book is not out yet.

I just saw this tonight in my news letter:

Passporter's Walt Disney World for Your Special Needs
Pre-order your new guidebook today at:
http://www.passporter.com/wdw/specialneeds/guidebook.htm

The first guidebook from AllEarsNet® Editors
Deb Wills and Debra Martin Koma debuts on August 15!