PDA

View Full Version : Observatron working again

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Vault
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
http://www.mousetimes.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=360&page=1

You can see in these pictures the observatron is working again. Hope it doesn't break soon again.

DisneyDustin22
07-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Yay! I was going through withdrawls of not being able to see space junk rotating atop an extinct attraction que every fifteen minutes. :)

oregontraveler
07-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Yay! I was going through withdrawls of not being able to see space junk rotating atop an extinct attraction que every fifteen minutes. :)
LMAO!!! after seeing the pics, it's hideous. I take it the Space Mt. display is in the Opera House lobby.

stitchlvr
07-26-2005, 12:20 PM
This is not happy news for me at least. I hated that thing, and having it go off every 15 minutes or so just aggravated me. It was a constant reminder that the rockets and Peoplemover should be there instead. I don't think it adds a thing to Tomorrowland. I wish they spent the money to fix it on taking it down and putting something worthwhile there. Obviously, just my opinion. Maybe there are those who like it.

The Mouse Is Back
07-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Rats. If they fixed it, it must mean they aren't planning on removing it any time soon.

-Allegra-

BigAlH
07-26-2005, 12:33 PM
I saw it working last Friday. I was talking to the VMK CM and she said, "oh wow, that's moving". If I remember correctly she was a 2005 CM so perhaps she never saw it moving before.

-al

coronado_g
07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Rats. If they fixed it, it must mean they aren't planning on removing it any time soon.
-Allegra-

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.
That pile of stuff is taking up prime DL real estate.

Hakuna Makarla
07-26-2005, 12:39 PM
what is this contraption? I have never seen it.

DisneyDustin22
07-26-2005, 12:43 PM
The Observatron was soemthing created by Disney to get guests who were in Ghost Town, I mean Tomorrowland to "observe" something and take their attention away from the emptiness that end of the park was facing. So they decided to take some scrap metal and old Direct TV Dishes and throw them atop the que for the peoplemover. They also decided to let this contraption run rampid for a few seconds to some "spacey" sounds every 15 minutes. Needless to say, it got old really fast. I think Disney ripped it off from some shopping mall near Roswell, New Mexico.

SteveK
07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
While I would rather have a new attraction up there, I'm glad it's working again. It adds a little bit of the motion/activity that TLand has been missing since the rockets moved. I didn't even notice the music by the way...I really had to listen closely to hear it. My guess is that it may be a bit more noisy when Tland is less crowded i.e. off season.
-Steve

coronado_g
07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Didn't there used to be a ride up there?

DisneyDustin22
07-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Didn't there used to be a ride up there?
The rockets that are now at the entrance to Tomorrowland used to be atop there.

coronado_g
07-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, the Astro Orbiters...before they were vamped up.

Opus1guy
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Observatron working again

That's because the Space Shuttle took off today. It's a real working outer space communications system, you know?

;)

phoenixfire2k5
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
It was said one time that the top of it that opens up, that there was a light in there that was bright enough to see from space. Yeah right!

Shortiemetoo
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I have never seen the thing move...but I bet it will be non moving by the time I return again...lol

phoenixfire2k5
07-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I have never seen the thing move...but I bet it will be non moving by the time I return again...lol

Not if you get your booty down here before then. :p

coronado_g
07-26-2005, 02:29 PM
That's because the Space Shuttle took off today. It's a real working outer space communications system, you know?

;)
That one had me rolling with laughter! Good one!

Disney Vault
07-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I would rather have a ride up there but I still think having it work is better than having it broken and doing nothing.

fjhuerta
07-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Exactly... How hard could it have been to fix a completely useless, ugly piece of garbage on top of a failing land? GRR. This makes me absolutely mad... you have so much space, so many unused attractions, and all that's fixed is the Observatron. DRATS.

Animalia
07-26-2005, 06:20 PM
O.K. guys, go ahead and set your Astro Blasters to stun and have at me if you wish but I'm happy to hear the thing is up and running again. I love the thruming, clattering and chimming sound it makes everytime it activates. To me it's a kinetic sculpture clock. I have fun looking at my watch when it goes into action to see if I'm sincronized with it. One day I was relaxing at the old motor boat landing when the Observatron and Small World clock both went off at the same time. It made me smile. O.K., so I'm easily entertained. My only wish is that it did more than just spin. I always hoped they'd add smoke effects and laser beams at some point. But as long as it adds life to Tomorrowland, I'm all for it.

MrsG
07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Was it broken? :| Shows how much I care about it.

Doug
07-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Old motor boat landing... where? Got a pic :)?

O.K. guys, go ahead and set your Astro Blasters to stun and have at me if you wish but I'm happy to hear the thing is up and running again. I love the thruming, clattering and chimming sound it makes everytime it activates. To me it's a kinetic sculpture clock. I have fun looking at my watch when it goes into action to see if I'm sincronized with it. One day I was relaxing at the old motor boat landing when the Observatron and Small World clock both went off at the same time. It made me smile. O.K., so I'm easily entertained. My only wish is that it did more than just spin. I always hoped they'd add smoke effects and laser beams at some point. But as long as it adds life to Tomorrowland, I'm all for it.

Animalia
07-27-2005, 05:49 AM
Old motor boat landing... where? Got a pic :)?

Sorry, I don't have a photo. But it's that little area east of the walkway to It's A Small World and across from the Matterhorn entrance with tables and chairs where you can get a hot dog and soda. It used to be the load/unload area for the motor boat attraction. Now the only ones using it to get in and out of the water are the ducks. It's a nice quiet place if you want to get out of the crowds for a while.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
07-27-2005, 07:58 AM
tomorrowland? a failing land...not anymore it isnt!! hahaha i was just there yesterday and there was nothing failing about it...it was almost nice to see that place jam-packed with people. :D