PDA

View Full Version : Need Info Please

kc10family
07-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Here is the story…. A 9-year-old friend of the family was just diagnosed last week with Ewings Sarcoma (bone cancer usually found in 10-20 yr olds). Depending on how she reacts to treatment (she should start this week) she has been given between 4 months and maybe up to 3 yrs to live. Her wishes are to meet Hilary Duff, go to Alaska and if not Alaska go to Disneyland. Therefore, we are writing letters to the Hilary Duff address we found on the net, and starting to raise money for either Alaska or Disneyland. Now, the Dr. says he would not make bets for the Alaska trip due to the distance, lack of medical care she might need etc. So that leaves us with Disneyland and my question. Does anyone one know who I could write at Disney to try to get a GOOD discount for her and her family IF (big if) and when the Dr. allows her to leave the hospital and the local area. Oh, yes, they are sending her case to the Make a Wish Foundation, but the Dr. doesn’t think the foundation will have enough time to grant her wish. If you know of anyone I could write it would be the best of help to us. Thank you.

kimc0486
07-25-2005, 01:37 PM
That is so incredibly sad to hear, such a shame because she is sooo young. :crying: In my area (Seattle) I have heard of things such as this on the local news, tell your local news area and they may just show it. Set-up a website or someway to collect funds, contact big local businesses to see what they can do financially. Try travel agents, or calling internet travel booking sites, AAA etc... to see what people would be willing to give. I'm sure that there is some company out there that would be willing to donate. Also, maybe setting something up at her school. I hope things can work. Goodluck.

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. I am very sure that if Hillary sees your request personally, she will be more than happy to grant it. You can also try to see if you can get in touch with Amy Grant and her new upcoming show Three Wishes, which I think is going to be on NBC. And if Make A Wish knows how urgent it is, they must be able to expedite the granting of your request. That might just be wishful thinking on my part. I am currently looking for some kind of physical address or a phone number that you can try to get in touch with in regards to your question about a discount at Disneyland. I will post again whether I find it or not.

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Still looking, but one thing you might want to look into is www.disneyhand.com

kimc0486
07-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Here is the guest relations number, which may be of some help, this is from Disneyland.com

Guest Relations To arrange a Special Occasion at Disneyland® Resort, call: (714) 781-7290

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 02:18 PM
It may not be a local number for him/her.

One thing I did find out though is, that Disney actually works with the Make A Wish foundation, and that MAWF does actually expedite requests/wishes that are on a strict timeframe.

kimc0486
07-25-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.wish.org/home/wishreferral.htm

I'm sure you've been here already...but if not here it is. This links you to the referral page and on the page it has a link to find the nearest MAW office. Go to that site, find you local MAWF office and call them to see about expediting requests. Phoenixfire said that you could, so maybe it will work! good luck.

infinite
07-25-2005, 02:49 PM
There was a group of children here (11, I think-the Fallon leukemia cluster) diagnosed with leukemia who wanted to go to Disneyland, so a local radio station started raising money,. Somehow, someone at Disneyland found out, and they were flown first class with their entire families , stayed on site all the perks. I am not sure how much was finally raised in the end, and I am not sure Disneyland even took the money that was raised, but the whole community worked together, and in the end, it was quite a beautiful thing.

Try to get her story on the radio or TV somehow, that is my best advice.

Susan L
07-25-2005, 03:07 PM
How sad for this little girl and how wonderful for you to help her out. I think that everyone ahead of me has given you some very good advice and info.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Definetly contact the Make A Wish Foundation. They should not only set it all up for them but also cover everything! They may even be able to arrange the Hillary Duff meet.

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 03:13 PM
He/she has already sent their case to the MAWF.

kc10family
07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
You are all so wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI - The Doctor is submitting her case to MAWF, but has said he did not think they would have enough time to make it happen. (why? we do not know. It could be her time left, or the foundation needs more time, or who know why he said that)

We are just getting all our ducks in a row so when she is given the green light to go some place, we are ready to make it happen. We are trying to make the family not have to worry about things such as this.

And if anyone knows Hilary Duff or know someone who knows someone please let us know. (did you get all that :eek: )

Again thank you and keep the info coming please.

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
We wish you all the best of luck with this. Wish should expedite it with the strict timeline and all. And if all that doesn't work out, it would be nice that if some of your good fellow mouse padders would pool a little bit of money together for ya, like at the last minute or something. But again, that's wishful thinking I guess. :)

adriennek
07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
If anyone has any questions about our solicitation policy, including making offers, please visit our FAQ: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=8334

Collecting money would fall under this solicitation. (Please note, I'm not suggesting that the OP came here to ask for money.)

Adrienne

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Dang nabbit, I did it again. Oops. :(

Sorry.

kc10family
07-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Thank you everyone. I am making lists of information and will be contacting places this week.

Again we will continue to take any and all information/ ideas people want to give.

Have a great Disney Day!

kimc0486
07-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I hope everything works out. Keep us posted.