PDA

View Full Version : Questions! Need help to plan my day...

Kelly Ann
07-25-2005, 09:41 AM
We're going on Thursday (7/28). I'm a native so I wouldn't normally set foot in the park this time of year and I'm a bit intimidated by the crowds. :eek: This is the first time ever that I'll be at Disneyland with kids! And the first time in a long while I'll be there with a group larger than 3 or 4. My friend's children are 5, 7, and 9 - first time at Disneyland for all of them. Mom & dad plus several aunts and uncles are going to be there with us - they've all been a few times before - so there will be a total of 8 or 9 in our group.

I don't have any priorities for myself on this visit other than Space Mountain. I'd like the family to able to "use" me to hold places in queues and viewing areas. I'm perfectly content to sit and people-watch all day, just as long as someone relieves me now and then so I can "relieve" myself (heh). I haven't been since spring, so I will probably be there at rope drop and will stay till midnight, although I know the kids won't be there that long.

My plan is to head to Space at rope drop for a FP (I'll ride if the standby queue is less than 45 minutes or so, but I'm guessing it won't be because of Early Entry). After that I'll try to claim a locker for us at the Fantasyland Theater lockers. I'll meet my friends when they enter around 10ish, and it's their call from then on.

1. At 5:00 I'm going to try to stake out a place (curbside?) in the Hub for the 7:00 PM parade. Is that too early? Too late?

2. Is there a place in the Hub for the parade that will also be a good fireworks-viewing spot? (The kids don't have any problems with loud noises, I asked.) I thought I'd just plop myself down and stay there from 5:00 through the fireworks. Or should I find a good parade-viewing spot and then try and scramble for a fireworks-viewing spot as soon as the parade ends? Or would it be better to see the 3:15 parade and then pick a spot on the west side of the Hub (what time?) for the fireworks?

3. How exactly do I hold a spot for 9 people? The only thing I can think of is to lay down a blanket.

4. They might want to see the 9:00 Fantasmic! Can they do that and then rejoin me in the Hub for the fireworks, or will it be impossible for them to make it to the Hub with the crowds?

5. I sunburn VERY easily, even with sunscreen. Will security object to me bringing in one of those large, 2-person umbrellas, to keep the sun off, mainly just in queues and waiting areas (especially if they decide to see the afternoon parade and I have to sit in the sun for two hours)? I'll put the umbrella away before the show starts, of course.

After the fireworks, they'll head back to their hotel. I'm going to try to slip over to see the 10:30 Fantasmic! then just see what I can ride on the west side until closing, unless I'm too tired, then I'll just head home.

I promise to post a trip report when I get back, even though it might just include a lot of observations about summer crowd behavior.

pisces
07-25-2005, 09:46 AM
"I'll put the umbrella away before the show starts, of course."-----Above.

LOL

You know, Hawaiian Tropic makes a lotion with SPF 70 !!!! And, I just love the classic Hawaiian Tropic scent, which it has.

Can't you just get a big floppy hat with a large brim??? LOL

I honestly don't think those clumsy, ungainly Parasols/Golf Umbrellas offer as much protection as a good hat and wrap-around ski glasses.

Maybe someone can inform us where the shady areas of the Park are mid-day, and at what parts of the day...which areas get the most shade.

I don't envy you. Is there no way you could go in December?, when there's less daylight. That's one of the reasons I go then.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be one of those grey days (which I love) with a thick overcast cloud cover. But, I don't think so. June gloom is long gone.

Good luck.

Kelly Ann
07-25-2005, 11:10 AM
*I* can go in December, sure! This family is from the midwest and they have to visit when they can. They are well aware this is a lousy time of year to go but it's not easy to coordinate vacations, finances, and stepparenting. I think one of the reasons they invited me was in hopes of a southern Californian's knowledge helping them out a little, that's why I'm trying to make sure they find at least a little of the magic during their visit, especially for their kids' first time.

I burn when it's cloudy, too. I'm looking for that 70 SPF sunblock, believe me!

coronado_g
07-25-2005, 02:19 PM
The answers to your questions #1 thru #4 are right here on the first and second page of the Mouse Pad threads.
As for the huge umbrella...well...hmmm...I haven't seen that mentioned in any recent posts.

Kelly Ann
07-25-2005, 11:14 PM
I think I've worked out the parade/fireworks pragmatics. I haven't seen any threads about how best to save spots for 8 people for parade/fireworks viewing, in terms of defining enough space and maintaining it while the crowds build up around you. I've never done it before, I'm usually one of those slide-in-at-the-last-minute-and-grab-a-good-spot-because-I'm-just-one-skinny-person people. I don't know, p'r'aps there's an art form to it (aside from being very patient). ;)

I found the perfect backpack/shoulderbag thingy and also a small umbrella to fit inside it, so there are no more large umbrella issues. :)

I'm so excited! I wish we could leave right now!

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 11:19 PM
I think I've worked out the parade/fireworks pragmatics. I haven't seen any threads about how best to save spots for 8 people for parade/fireworks viewing, in terms of defining enough space and maintaining it while the crowds build up around you. I've never done it before, I'm usually one of those slide-in-at-the-last-minute-and-grab-a-good-spot-because-I'm-just-one-skinny-person people. I don't know, p'r'aps there's an art form to it (aside from being very patient). ;)

I found the perfect backpack/shoulderbag thingy and also a small umbrella to fit inside it, so there are no more large umbrella issues. :)

I'm so excited! I wish we could leave right now!

The best spot for both the parades and the fireworks is along the parade route in the hub, facing down the parade route towards the Matterhorn. You should be able to hold off two benches here. Just get them before the first one ends. The downfall is camping out early for them. With 8 people, you can take turns holding the spot, also providing you have belongings to hold these spots for you. Either two benches, or just one with the ground in front of you. This does work, I have done it before myself.

Kelly Ann
07-25-2005, 11:51 PM
I've been mulling over your benches idea from the other thread... doesn't everyone usually stand up when the parade arrives, though? Wouldn't curb seats would eliminate the problem of the little ones not being able to see through the adults in front of them? I guess they could stand on the benches, but then the people behind them mightn't be able to see. (I'm tall myself so I'm conscious of people, especially children, behind me not being able to see okay.) I dislike it when parents lift small kids up on their shoulders; that pretty much obscures the view of anyone behind them, kid or adult. I'm not sure saving space from the bench to the curb would be justifiable, we don't need that much space. I just thought we'd try to sit in two rows, children on the curb in front of adults and the five adults sitting around/behind them.

How do other people with small children try to get them positioned so they can see the parade okay?

phoenixfire2k5
07-26-2005, 02:26 PM
I've been mulling over your benches idea from the other thread... doesn't everyone usually stand up when the parade arrives, though? Wouldn't curb seats would eliminate the problem of the little ones not being able to see through the adults in front of them? I guess they could stand on the benches, but then the people behind them mightn't be able to see. (I'm tall myself so I'm conscious of people, especially children, behind me not being able to see okay.) I dislike it when parents lift small kids up on their shoulders; that pretty much obscures the view of anyone behind them, kid or adult. I'm not sure saving space from the bench to the curb would be justifiable, we don't need that much space. I just thought we'd try to sit in two rows, children on the curb in front of adults and the five adults sitting around/behind them.

How do other people with small children try to get them positioned so they can see the parade okay?

First off, let me say to others that read this, please do not let this turn into the same discussion from before that was bad parenting or people saying they hate it when parents put their kids on their shoulders and block the view of others. It's been discussed. There is a whole other thread to this discussion. Thanks in advance. :)

Now Kelly Ann, to answer your question, for the parades, people do not stand in this area from curbside to the benches. It's a sit area only. It is different for the fireworks usually though. Because in the street people will either sit, or just stand if everyone else is standing. And most parents try to hold their kids at their hips so that they can see. If you're camping out early enough in this area, and talk with the other guests around you, you just might build up a good repuoir <sp?> and sort of a bond, you all just might be able to sit down to see the fireworks and let the kids be able to see. Sitting as far back towards the benches as you can might allow enough room to see the fireworks from a sitting position. Trying to view from the benches puts it to where theres no one directly behind you. So putting kids on your shoulders or standing on the benches will not block the views of others behind you since they're about ten to twenty feet behind you near the partners statue. Hope that helps. Any other questions, let me know on here or just send me a private message. I'd be happy to help.

Kelly Ann
07-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks, phoenixfire2k5! That was pretty much the information I was looking for, it's very helpful.

phoenixfire2k5
07-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks, phoenixfire2k5! That was pretty much the information I was looking for, it's very helpful.

You're very welcome.

ILoveChurros
07-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm 100% positive that an umbrella will be OK, they allow them when it rains, why not when it is super sunny? I've even brought a parasol (sp?) to DL on sunny days and I'm fine, just be mindful of the people around you!