PDA

View Full Version : Slowest Time at DL?

Pages : [1] 2

tpmartin
07-25-2005, 08:56 AM
What is the Best time to go to Disneyland when the crowds are at the minimum.

Thanks

Tom

jrad32
07-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Well the mornings right when it opens are always the best, as you just aren't dealing with as many people. Get there when it opens. ALso at night following the fireworks is good, as many take that as a cue to head home.

If your talking time of the year I like the end of January, start of February and October, as well as early November.

Stupid_American
07-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Mid September through mid November is pretty good.
Avoid Halloween.
Just after Thanksgiving, to a couple weeks before Christmas, is nice.

tpmartin
07-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Well the mornings right when it opens are always the best, as you just aren't dealing with as many people. Get there when it opens. ALso at night following the fireworks is good, as many take that as a cue to head home.

If your talking time of the year I like the end of January, start of February and October, as well as early November.
How is the Weather in early November

bassett1976
07-25-2005, 09:39 AM
The first full week in January is a wonderful time to avoid the crowds. The kids are back in school and the adults have to return to work for the most part. The park isn't open as late but you can get on so many rides with minimal wait. I wish that my wife and I could make a trip out of this every year...

Rteneyck
07-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I like January. I always go the 2nd or 3rd week and the crowds are very minimal. We usually walk right on and off the rides. The only thing is that the weather can be unpredictable, but the smaller crowds are worth it.

jrad32
07-25-2005, 10:18 AM
In November the average high is 74 and average low is 51, and there is a decent chance of rain according to the weather channel.

coronado_g
07-25-2005, 10:19 AM
I concur with the January suggestion. People have spent all their money for Xmas and New Year's Eve, plus rent being due at the first of the month makes the beginning of January the Golden Time for those of us who don't like crowds.

jrad32
07-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Mid September through mid November is pretty good.
Avoid Halloween.
Just after Thanksgiving, to a couple weeks before Christmas, is nice.

What's wrong with Halloween? It falls on a Monday this year, so any extra people would probably be countered by the usual lighter Monday crowd.

Disneynerd
07-25-2005, 10:47 AM
The first full week in January is a wonderful time to avoid the crowds. The kids are back in school and the adults have to return to work for the most part. The park isn't open as late but you can get on so many rides with minimal wait. I wish that my wife and I could make a trip out of this every year...Is HM and IASW closed down to remove the holiday overlay in early January? Might be something to consider Tom if those are you favorites.

shawnarae
07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
I have heard that the day after Labor Day is not busy....but I can't "second that" comment. I have been on Labor Day, and I was NUTS! Oh boy! Real busy :D

In the past the 2 days before Thanksgiving were really great. I went 2 years in a row to DL over this time. It was GREAT all day long. Then Thanksgiving Day was CRAZY! But we did most everything we wanted to do before this day, so we enjoyed the food, sites, characters & shopping, instead of the stress of ride lines ect with babies (at the time I had a 5 year old, 2 year old & 1 year old) on Turkey Day. Oh and pool time when it is crowded is nice too!

Good luck!!

Skunker
07-25-2005, 11:53 AM
I have heard that the day after Labor Day is not busy....but I can't "second that" comment. I have been on Labor Day, and I was NUTS! Oh boy! Real busy :D

In the past the 2 days before Thanksgiving were really great. I went 2 years in a row to DL over this time. It was GREAT all day long. Then Thanksgiving Day was CRAZY! But we did most everything we wanted to do before this day, so we enjoyed the food, sites, characters & shopping, instead of the stress of ride lines ect with babies (at the time I had a 5 year old, 2 year old & 1 year old) on Turkey Day. Oh and pool time when it is crowded is nice too!

Good luck!!

Thank you for this info! I had shied away from anytime during Thanksgiving week, but this year my son has the entire week off so I might even reschedule our time to this week! (or at least the first part of it.)

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Crowd levels can be very skeptical right now with the 50th going on. The times that are usually very light, just might have larger than average crowds.

bassett1976
07-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Is HM and IASW closed down to remove the holiday overlay in early January? Might be something to consider Tom if those are you favorites.

Usually HM is closed for the Monday right after New Years when all of the kids go back to school. In the past they have kept IASW Holiday opened for another week or two so they don't have 2 rides down.

Susan L
07-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I have been to Disneyland every month of the year and I would have to say that Feb, for the exception of Pres weekend is the best time to go and the least crowded.

As for time of day in the park, as soon as it opens until about 11am. We usually go back to our room after a quick lunch and then go back during the evening.

The land to do first off is Fantasyland, afternoon in Fantasyland is to crowded.

And don't skip the parks in the rain, it is by far the best time to go, you almost have the parks to yourself in the rain.

tpmartin
07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
How is after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

Tom

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
How is after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

Tom

Usually, under most circumstances, kinda slow during the week, but busy on the weekends. But as I have stated before, it can be difficult to tell or predict with the 50th celebration going on right now. So crowds might be larger than average or usual levels.

Susan L
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
The first week of Dec is pretty good, plus it has all the decorations.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-25-2005, 03:22 PM
We have really had luck with the crowds being light the first week of November. First week of October was pretty good in 2002.
The rain can sometimes keep people away too.

DangerMouse
07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
If you want to avoid crowds, I would avoid the first weekend in December, since that is the Candlelight Processional. Very very busy during those evenings, especially.

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 03:29 PM
If you want to avoid crowds, I would avoid the first weekend in December, since that is the Candlelight Processional. Very very busy during those evenings, especially.

That is an idea. But I must say that the candlelight processional is AMAZING AND SPECTACULAR!!! It is REALLY GOOD!! I have seen it for the past 2 years. Last year, I had a better spot than the first time. And last year, I was almost brought to tears at the amazing and beautiful power of this performance. Got a little choked up at the sound of their voices. This show IS A MUST SEE!!! If you really can't stand crowds, then don't go. But if you want to see a truely amazing and powerful show, I strongly recommend it. It is worth it!!!

mkcbunny
07-25-2005, 03:47 PM
We always go the first or second week of May. Have also gone in Jan. I tend to prefer May because rides are always being refurbished between Jan and April, apart from Spring Break. So something is bound to be closed in the Jan/Feb timeframe. But, given the number of rides that have just been refurbished for the 50th, next Jan is probably a good bet [barring the HM refurb issue raised above, which was postponed from this coming fall.]

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
We always go the first or second week of May. Have also gone in Jan. I tend to prefer May because rides are always being refurbished between Jan and April, apart from Spring Break. So something is bound to be closed in the Jan/Feb timeframe. But, given the number of rides that have just been refurbished for the 50th, next Jan is probably a good bet [barring the HM refurb issue raised above, which was postponed from this coming fall.]

Mansion and Small World usually go down in the fall for their xmas setups, and then go down again in January or February so they can be changed back to normal.

DangerMouse
07-25-2005, 03:52 PM
I thnk MCKBunny may have been referring to the rumored PoTC refurb which is now slated for early 2006? Of course, nothing official on the calendar yet.

tod
07-25-2005, 04:25 PM
1959 was good, with the Matterhorn being built and most of Tomorrowland torn up for the construction of the Submarine Voyage and Monorail.

Mondays and Tuesdays in early 1984 were also good because most people weren't used to the new 365-day schedule yet.

Since then -- not too much. :rolleyes:

--t