PDA

View Full Version : Where to Stay @ Disneyland? Help

Pages : [1] 2

ScottNBecky
07-24-2005, 02:25 PM
My family are DVC members, and have visited WDW 6 times in the last few years, and next summer we are going to go to DL. It will be our first trip out west and DD's 8 and 6 are so excited. We want to make this trip something special, and are going to use our DVC points for a resort (the cash prices are really high arent they?) So anyone who can compare the resorts from past experience feel free to chime in here and help me decide where to stay. It would be for 3-4 days. I am assuming that we can see DL and DCA in 3-4 days right?

Wendi
07-24-2005, 02:33 PM
My family are DVC members, and have visited WDW 6 times in the last few years, and next summer we are going to go to DL. It will be our first trip out west and DD's 8 and 6 are so excited. We want to make this trip something special, and are going to use our DVC points for a resort (the cash prices are really high arent they?) So anyone who can compare the resorts from past experience feel free to chime in here and help me decide where to stay. It would be for 3-4 days. I am assuming that we can see DL and DCA in 3-4 days right?

Well, the only one I've ever stayed at was Disney's Grand Californian (GCH). I highly recommend it. I would stay there every time if I could afford it. I am willing to try the other two hotels, but I haven't yet. You really can't beat the GCH for proximity to the parks (especially since there is a private entrance right into DCA). The hotel is really beautiful and luxurious. I have no idea how the DVC points work, so I don't know what your difference would be on the three hotels, but if you can swing the GCH, do it!!!

You can see pretty much everything in 4 days I think, it will depend on what you want to see and do, and how quickly your family moves... since having Max, I generally do 5+ day trips and we move at a leisurly pace and don't worry about rushing to do it all.

dsny1mom
07-24-2005, 02:59 PM
If you want the shortest walk to and from the parks then the GC would be your best bet (providing you don't get one of the rooms that are about a 5 minute walk to the elevators!). If your kids would enjoy bunkbeds then the GC would be your best bet (best check on the height restrictions for bunk beds, though). If you want a nice pool with a cool water slide then GC would be your best bet. If you don't mind having to walk through a huge lobby to get to and from your room then GC would be your best bet. If you want to stay at DCA's hotel then again GC would be your best bet.

If you want to stay at DL's hotel the DLH is your best bet. If you want a larger room with a regular bed for your children then DLH would be your best bet. If you want a pool on the same theme scale as the WDW pools then DLH would be your best bet.If you prefer a smaller lobby with more privacy to reach your room then DLH would be your best bet. If you want a hotel that oozes Disney whimsy then again DLH would be your best bet.

The GC is a beautiful hotel. The DLH is a Disney themed hotel. It's really what your personal preferance is. We've got tons of beautiful hotels where we live, but no Disney themed hotels, so our choice is always the DLH.

dsny1mom

Shortiemetoo
07-24-2005, 03:36 PM
If you want the shortest walk to and from the parks then the GC would be your best bet (providing you don't get one of the rooms that are about a 5 minute walk to the elevators!). If your kids would enjoy bunkbeds then the GC would be your best bet (best check on the height restrictions for bunk beds, though). If you want a nice pool with a cool water slide then GC would be your best bet. If you don't mind having to walk through a huge lobby to get to and from your room then GC would be your best bet. If you want to stay at DCA's hotel then again GC would be your best bet.

If you want to stay at DL's hotel the DLH is your best bet. If you want a larger room with a regular bed for your children then DLH would be your best bet. If you want a pool on the same theme scale as the WDW pools then DLH would be your best bet.If you prefer a smaller lobby with more privacy to reach your room then DLH would be your best bet. If you want a hotel that oozes Disney whimsy then again DLH would be your best bet.

The GC is a beautiful hotel. The DLH is a Disney themed hotel. It's really what your personal preferance is. We've got tons of beautiful hotels where we live, but no Disney themed hotels, so our choice is always the DLH.

dsny1mom

Wow! I love the way you described the differences!! That made a lot of sense. Thank you dsny1mom!! Answered a lot of my questions!

phoenixfire2k5
07-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Yes, those were great differences and really good descriptions. GCH is a really beautiful, but pricey, resort hotel. The biggest payoff is that it has a gorgeous lobby, and its a short walk. There is no monorail connection, even though it goes right alongside it. The DH has monorail connection, but has a little bit longer of a walk.

Elly
07-24-2005, 05:02 PM
You also could consider the Paradise Pier. The main "advantage" of this property is the lower price. It is a bit further to walk to than the DLH, although not much depending on which building in the DLH you are located in. It's pool isn't as big, but it has a cool new water slide that is very kid friendly in that you don't fall into a deep pool at the end, but just slide to a stop in shallow water. If you are looking for the most economical choice, this is one to consider.

GrimGrinnin
07-24-2005, 07:20 PM
We want to make this trip something special, and are going to use our DVC points for a resort (the cash prices are really high arent they?)

If you want special, you'll want the GC. It's far more impressive than the other 2 hotels, and more like what you're used to at WDW.

Durring summer 2005 (2006 points charts for DL aren't out yet), it will cost you 49 points a night to stay in a standard room at the GC. If you value your points at $10 each (which you could easily rent them for - you could get $12 a point if you work at it a little), the comparable cost would be $490. You can do much better than this with cash. Unless DVC reduces the points a LOT in 2006, there's no way I'd use my precious DVC points at a DL hotel. It's just not a good value. Rent them out and pay for the GC in cash. Even better - book through AAA and get the 'enhanced fastpass', which won't be available to you if you book on points through MS.

Good luck!

grim

Earkid
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
The DH has monorail connection, but has a little bit longer of a walk.The Disneyland Hotel used to have a monorail stop inside but does not any more. The monorail stop is now in Downtown Disney.

phoenixfire2k5
07-24-2005, 08:01 PM
The Disneyland Hotel used to have a monorail stop inside but does not any more. The monorail stop is now in Downtown Disney.

Don't you think I know that? I live 5 mins from there. In actuallity, the hotel NEVER had a connection. Because the main hotel structures with the rooms were in the same place that they are now. They just removed the buildings that had the shops and restaurants. The monorail station is within short walking distance of the hotel.

Earkid
07-24-2005, 08:10 PM
The DH has monorail connection, but has a little bit longer of a walk.Forgive me for not realizing that you know DH has no monorail connection. I was confused by your statement that the DH has a monorail connection.

The Grand Californian is an equally short walk to the DTD monorail station.

phoenixfire2k5
07-24-2005, 08:11 PM
It's ok. No worries.

Malcon10t
07-24-2005, 11:44 PM
The Disneyland Hotel used to have a monorail stop inside but does not any more. The monorail stop is now in Downtown Disney.The monorail stop is in exactly the same place it was 30 years ago. Because it was called the "Disneyland Hotel Stop" then, I still think of it as the "Disneyland Hotel Stop." It appears to be further away from teh hotel because they took out some shops and the bungalows. But it is just as close to the hotel today as it was 30 years ago.

Earkid
07-25-2005, 08:35 AM
The monorail stop is in exactly the same place it was 30 years ago. Because it was called the "Disneyland Hotel Stop" then, I still think of it as the "Disneyland Hotel Stop." It appears to be further away from teh hotel because they took out some shops and the bungalows. But it is just as close to the hotel today as it was 30 years ago.I just wanted to make the point that the monorail does NOT drop you off at the Disneyland Hotel, it now drops you off in DTD. The statement that the DLH has a monorail stop is confusing to those planning a trip who are not familiar with the layout of the resort hotels, and that was the original point of this thread.

pisces
07-25-2005, 08:42 AM
"The Disneyland Hotel used to have a monorail stop inside " ----EAR

YES YES YES. Thank you thank you thank you.

I knew I wasn't dreaming.

There was definitely a monorail stop at the Disneyland Hotel, at one time. Everytime I've said that, someone from this site, always tells me I am wrong and there wasn't ever one there.

But, there WAS !!!! I knew I remembered correctly.

Ahem: There absolutely, positively USED to be a monorail stop at the Disneyland Hotel !!!

For whatever it's worth..... :rolleyes: ......cause it ain't there anymore.

jrad32
07-25-2005, 08:45 AM
The monorail stop is in exactly the same place it was 30 years ago. Because it was called the "Disneyland Hotel Stop" then, I still think of it as the "Disneyland Hotel Stop." It appears to be further away from teh hotel because they took out some shops and the bungalows. But it is just as close to the hotel today as it was 30 years ago.

This is correct. :)

disneyjunkie
07-25-2005, 04:41 PM
I have stayed at all three hotels : Paradise Pier is very very nice for the dollar value, we have always had excellent service there including a Christmas eve where our dinner reservations were at the ball room buffet at the Disneyland Hotel and it was cold and my daughters and I were dressed up and in heals. We called the conciegne desk about finding the shortest walking distance to our destination, they said dont worry come to the check in at the lobby we will take you there! The shuttled us over in one of their golf cart carriers, at the end of our meal they had us call the desk and they came and picked us back up!
When my daughters were younger we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel several times it IS for the Kids it has the most in activities and decor and that disney themeing for a child, also I am more partial to it in the summer months still.
The GCH is absoulutley beautiful the BEST time is Christmas the lobby lodge setting is perfect and the mood is set for the holidays...on a break grab a book and sit by the fireplace in the lobby , listen to the piano and carolers and stare at the tree..you cant beat it for the holidays!
As far as walking to/from the parks my biggest hip hip hooray for staying on any Disney property is no Mickey and Friends Parking structure to deal with!!!

minniemom
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
No questions about it. Stay at the Grand. You will have a lot less walking than at the other two. Once you stayed there, your will be hooked and want to go back time and time again.

The Mouse Is Back
07-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Don't you think I know that? I live 5 mins from there. In actuallity, the hotel NEVER had a connection. Because the main hotel structures with the rooms were in the same place that they are now. They just removed the buildings that had the shops and restaurants. The monorail station is within short walking distance of the hotel.

Wrong. The Garden Villas and Oriental Gardens were just a few steps from the hotel's Monorail platform. Plenty of people preferred to stay in those rooms (we loved the Garden Villas).

-Allegra-

coronado_g
07-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah, that will always be the Disneyland Hotel stop to me (in my mind). Obviously, I have difficulty learning new tricks. Woof!

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Wrong. The Garden Villas and Oriental Gardens were just a few steps from the hotel's Monorail platform. Plenty of people preferred to stay in those rooms (we loved the Garden Villas).

-Allegra-

Really now?

Will someone please pass the ketchup? I need it for my foot! :p

bassett1976
07-25-2005, 10:19 PM
My wife and I have stayed at both the GC and the DLH but have not stayed at the PP. We prefer to stay at the DLH of the two. The theme is very Disney as it uses it's decorations to the Disney Characters and sketch drawings of the DL concept art. The pool is the best themed, Captian Hook. It is a longer walk to the main entrance but we felt that we had to walk really far to get into DL from the GC. The monorail station from the DLH isn't that far of a walk. If you can get reservations try and get one of the rooms in the tower closest to Downtown Disney and then your walk will be shorter. You might also be able to get a room facing the theme parks. The pool side is a little noisy from the afternoon to the evening when they close the pool.

dsny1mom
07-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Just to clear up any misconceptions about the monorail stop and it's location.......

The monorail still stops in the exact some location it did when the DLH gounds included, the Garden and Villa rooms, Mickey's Corner, the Monraol Cafe, the Sierra Pool, etc.

The hotel lost some of it's grounds to the DTD expansion. Once DTD opened they stopped calling the monrail stop the DLH stop and are now calling it the DTD stop.

The monorail track and stop did *not* more at all, the hotel grounds were pared back to make way for DTD.

It is still the same amount of steps to and from the reamaining DLH buildings that it always was.

I hope my explanation helps anyone who thought the monrail moved it's stop away from the DLH.

phoenixfire2k5
07-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks, yeah, I think thats been stated a few times now. :p

ScottNBecky
07-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks so much guys for your replies. I believe we would be going during value season so to put it into perspective for us:
GC- 39 points a night
DL- 31 points per night
PP- 25 points per night

We have 160 to use, but would probably only stay 3-4 days. GC seems like the best (thus the more points/night), and DL seems like what we are used to at WDW. Not sure we could splurge for $500 cash a night rooms though so we would definitely use points. I guess PP is out and now I am down to 2 choices huh LOL!

GrimGrinnin
07-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Not sure we could splurge for $500 cash a night rooms though so we would definitely use points.

I think you think the GC is more expensive than it really is. Rack rate for the GC is around $265 for value season. You'll throw away $300 to $600 by using points instead of renting them and paying cash. That's a lot of Mickey Head Ice Cream Bars.

I'm speaking as a DVC member whose rented points twice to pay for 2 Disney Cruises, and is paying cash at the GC for 4 nights in October for less than $190/night.

Of course, if the hassle of renting isn't worth the savings to you, then disreguard this post any please recycle these bytes :D

grim