PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel and the 50th, fun BUT...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MansionLover
07-24-2005, 01:18 PM
:mad: :( I stayed at "THE" Disneyland Hotel From Thursday July 14th till Monday the 18th for the once in a lifetime REAL 50th Anniversary.My wife and I liked how clean the Hotel and park was.Everything was spiffed up and the CM's at the park(The Hotel is another story)were all really professional.We could tell everyone was working hard to make their guests time a fun one.Everyone BUT MANAGEMENT.The BIG PROBLEM was The MANAGEMENT of Disneyland and the Disneyland/Grand Californian themselves.My wife and I checked in and all went smoothly.We then,like MANY other Hotel guests,asked the Front Desk what time we as Hotel guests,would be let in the park as we are PAYING ALOT of hard earned money(we saved for a YEAR for this!).Well.the Hotel Staff and Front Desk had NO IDEA what time we would be let in,if the monorail would allow us,as PAYING ON SITE GUESTS,in earlier,or even if anything special would be done for Hotel Guests.The night before the 17th the Hotel did say that all Hotel Guests would get in the park,like THAT was a "Gift" to us.LMAO.PLEASE!!! Of COURSE if you have tickets for the 17th AND are staying at THE Disneyland Hotel,you would get in the Park.That was no special privilege.Everyone got in including the outside public and anyone else who walked to the gate got in,so that was NO special perk!Don't insult my intelligence Disney!When my wife made the Hotel Reservations MONTHS ago,she was told that the Hotel would be doing SPECIAL things for Hotel guests.Well newsflash,guess what?They did NOTHING!I mean nothing on our pillows any night of our stay,no little trinket,NOTHING.How about that pin everyone was going nuts over,on our pillow on the 17th if you were a hotel guest and were going to the park that day?They didn't even know when we would be let in the park.We called the NIGHT BEFORE the big day and they STILL had NO IDEA what was going on.Then my wife overheard a guest talking that people who bought some special merchandising package(for $1000-@$2000)were being let in the park starting at 530am and had the opportunity to purchase ANY and ALL L/E items that would later be made available to the public IF anything was left over.This included the "I was There Pin",which was a pin that only people who went to Disneyland on the 17th could buy and was limited to 5000 pins.Disneyland makes people buy a $2000 package per person to get the "right" to buy things BEFORE anyone else?Huh?Money talks, and it sounds like a case of the "haves and have nots"....SAD.Disneyland/Grand Californian/and the Paradise Pier,which is actually across the street form the park but still a DL property were made to Stand in Line for 2 HOURS while the park opened,and the Monorail just SAT THERE in the station for those 2 hours while 5000(or so)pin collectors where allowed in the park BEFORE the Hotel Guests.These pin collectors(not all were pin collectors,but most waiting there were,for the pin,and I am NOT disrespecting them)had camped out starting Saturday night at @ 2am at the California Adventure Park to get this one day only pin).Well I have news for Disney Brass.I,and MANY MANY MANY PAYING Disneyland/Grand Cal/Pardise Pier Hotel Guests were/are VERY TICKED OFF at Disney's handling of this.First off,I could care less how long someone who is NOT a PAYING ON PROPERTY GUEST waits for some pin OFF PROPERTY.That is THEIR choice.They did NOT pay close to $400 a night to stay in the Park and they should NOT have been allowed in the park before us.Plain and simple.I mean one woman I spoke to( a non guest who capmed out across the park) said it took her a total of 11 HOURS until she received her precious pin.She got it then left the park and went to sleep.She evne felt Hotel guests should have gottone in first,and that she should have gotten her voucher either as she got on line outside the park or as she entered.My wife heard ALOT of people were on multiple lines for literally 8,9 and 10 hours to get the $8.95 pin,and after they did,they just left the park!So many of them(not all of course)did not even enjoy the park.The Hotel guests WANTED to enjoy the park but we were made to stand in the HOT SUN for 2 hours while the NON Hotel guests were let in.WRONG again Disney.Many pin collectors even said they all should have been given a voucher either at the gate or while they were otuside the park so they could get their pin at a later time.Instead,Disney had them wait on MULTIPLE lines for HOURS AND HOURS to then wait AGAIN to get their voucher IN THE PARK in the back,I think,of Splash Mountain at some Festival thing.WRONG again Disney.Why treat your guests like DIRT,no matter if they were day trippers or Hotel Guests.Both sets were HUGELY disrespected by Disney Brass.Don't get me wrong,I have nothing but PRAISE for the Cast Members IN the Park.They did a GREAT JOB and should ALL get a RAISE.But Disney Brass REALLY BLEW this,BIG TIME.Please I do not want to hear how "hard it was",blah blah as an excuse.Disneyland has been in business for 50 YEARS!and this was no surprise to them.It was just the bosses resting on Disney's laurels and not giving a heap.For shame!What is the POINT of staying at overpriced On site Disney Hotels if you receive NOTHING for it?I mean they did NOTHING special for the Hotel Guests AT ALL.

MansionLover
07-24-2005, 01:22 PM
:) I will Reiterate again.The Disney Cast Members in the Park were the BEST.They deserve a Raise.Everyone there worked VERY hard and was VERY pleasant.The confusion and unacceptable treatment of Disneyland,Grand Californian,Paradise Pier Hotel Guests was INEXCUSABLE! :~D

scaeagles
07-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Have to disagree with you.

Disneyland resort property guests have never been given anything above and beyond other paying guests who get into Disneyland as far as getting into the park first. You had the option of staying somewhere else for less money, as I do on every trip there. Staying on property is not a magic way to get a front of the line pass for anything, nor should it be. If you want to be first in line, get there first. That's the way it's always been.

What has Disney ever done for their hotel guests? Nothing unusual. The 50th was no different, nor should it have been. I stay on site because I like the location (I typically stay at the GC on our summer trips), and that's what I pay for. That, and the exceptional Disney staff.

Sandiegoboy
07-24-2005, 01:34 PM
The reason you pay alot is to stay on their property, not to get free stuff.

gerry
07-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Have to disagree with you.

Disneyland resort property guests have never been given anything above and beyond other paying guests who get into Disneyland as far as getting into the park first. You had the option of staying somewhere else for less money, as I do on every trip there. Staying on property is not a magic way to get a front of the line pass for anything, nor should it be. If you want to be first in line, get there first. That's the way it's always been.

What has Disney ever done for their hotel guests? Nothing unusual. The 50th was no different, nor should it have been. I stay on site because I like the location (I typically stay at the GC on our summer trips), and that's what I pay for. That, and the exceptional Disney staff.
I totally agree.

leota's necklace
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
We then,like MANY other Hotel guests,asked the Front Desk what time we as Hotel guests,would be let in the park as we are PAYING ALOT of hard earned money(we saved for a YEAR for this!)....They did NOTHING!I mean nothing on our pillows any night of our stay,no little trinket,NOTHING.
...Then my wife overheard a guest talking that people who bought some special merchandising package(for $1000-@$2000)were being let in the park starting at 530am and had the opportunity to purchase ANY and ALL L/E items that would later be made available to the public IF anything was left over....Disneyland makes people buy a $2000 package per person to get the "right" to buy things BEFORE anyone else?Huh?Money talks, and it sounds like a case of the "haves and have nots"....SAD.

Forgive me, but this sounds more like you're just angry that someone had more priviledge than you.

SassyNYLady
07-24-2005, 01:49 PM
As long as there are people who are willing to pay for the privlege of being part of certain events, there will always be the "haves and have-nots".

And, as far as the "being able to get into the park on the 17th"...wasn't it the plan in place that *should* the park have gotten to capacity, that the hotel guests would still be able to get in? Just because it didn't doesn't mean that *that* perk wasn't there.

You paid premium rates to stay on property on a premium weekend. You didn't pay for anything else besides a room for four nights. That's just the way it is.

SCUBAbe
07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
omg...so much entitlement going on. I ahve stayed onsite many times and have never expected anything special for it. why would I? it's my choise to stay there...and the comment about waiting two hours in the hot sun??? was this to egt in the park in the morning?? ...because I was there also and it was overcast and no where close to be hot...but I did enjoy the melodramatic way you phrased it...LOL

MatterhornMom
07-24-2005, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with the others.

We scrimped and saved, used Hilton Honors points to cover our stay in Anaheim a few weeks ago, stood in line like everyone else. We didn't ride every ride. We didn't do all the 'cool stuff.' And know what? We didn't care. None of us - from my stodgy, East Coast sensibility husband to my 17 month old son, cared if we got on every ride or did all the must-dos. The privilege was the opportunity to be there. Period.

Reminds me of the fellow ahead of my daughter and I at Guest Services on the 3rd. I had taken my daughter there to get her birthday sticker. The man ahead of us in line decided he needed to take 10 minutes to complain to guest services because he had to wait in line an hour for Splash Mountain. He felt because he paid for a Park Hopper ticket, he was entitled to bypass the FastPass system and jump to the head of the standby line.

I think people need to slow down, stop expecting so much, and enjoy both the journey and the destination.

(Sorry for being so grumpy. Long and busy weekend!)

Leslie

dasrock
07-24-2005, 02:27 PM
bravo Matterhorn Mom!!!
it's a vaction people do need to slow down and relax...enjoy!
have a martini for breakfast thats usually gets thing going in the right direction huccup! :D

dsny1mom
07-24-2005, 02:29 PM
You are pointing the finger at the wrong set of mgrs. If anyone is to be held responsibile for DLR hotel guests not getting in before others it would be PARK MGMNT, not hotel mgmnt.

DL was flying by the seat of its pants on all of this. The hotels were told nothing more than the time the park would open, what entrances would be open, and that DLR hotel guests would be granted entrance even if the gates shut to all other guests.

The hotels WANTED seperate entrance for the hotel guests, DL wouldn't do it. The hotels WANTED the monrail for DLR hotel guests entrance only, DL wouldn't do it.

DLR has many different divisions and to think the hotel general mgrs would have any power to tell park general mgrs what they have to do and have them listen is pretty naive.

The general mgrs and other assted mgrs (like guests services) from each of the three hotels were out at lineup points from 6 am on for the 17th. Did they enjoy seeing their guests stand in line for hours? No they did not. But there was nothing they could do about it. DL didn't even let the hotel mgrs know until the 16th that they would guarentee DLR hotel guests admssion the next day.

As far as the special packages go... you could have bought one too. You would have gotten in at 5am, had the ability to buy lots of cool stuff, and gotten lots of gifts. All for hundreds or thousands of dollars more then what you paid. Like others have already told you, you are sounding a tad bit envious of those that chose to purchase a package that had more perks than just paying for a hotel room, like you did.

I've been at DLR hotel guest many times over the past 20 years. NEVER have they just gifted anything to the guests, for any other special occasions at the parks (ie other park birthdays, the new millenium, the ending of the ELP, etc.) and why should they? If it wasn't the value you expected then stay somewhere else next time.

If you wanted a *I was there* pin then there was nothing stopping you from lining up in DCA at 2am and being one of the first 5000 and getting one, other than yourself. Now if DLR hotels had told you you would be getting a special pin, a special line, earlier entrance then you would have the right to complain, since you didn't get those things. But they didn't make you any promises that they didn't come through on. You paid for a room, the ability to use the hotel ammenities and you got what you paid for.

dsny1mom

coronado_g
07-24-2005, 02:45 PM
The reason you pay alot is to stay on their property, not to get free stuff.

Absolutely. I agree with this statement.

I'm sorry but I don't like to read excessively loooooong "sour grapes" posts!!!

Earkid
07-24-2005, 02:46 PM
:rolleyes:

coronado_g
07-24-2005, 02:48 PM
And as DisneyMom said, you could've gotten in line at 2 a.m. in DCA. There was nothing stopping you other than an over-inflated sense of priviledge.

Disney4Me
07-24-2005, 02:54 PM
:mad: :( we are PAYING ALOT of hard earned money(we saved for a YEAR for this!).Well.the Hotel Staff and Front Desk had NO IDEA what time we would be let in,if the monorail would allow us,as PAYING ON SITE GUESTS,in earlier,or even if anything special would be done for Hotel Guests.The night before the 17th the Hotel did say that all Hotel Guests would get in the park,like THAT was a "Gift" to us.LMAO.PLEASE!!! Disneyland makes people buy a $2000 package per person to get the "right" to buy things BEFORE anyone else?Huh?Money talks, and it sounds like a case of the "haves and have nots"....SAD.Disneyland/Grand Californian/and the Paradise Pier,which is actually across the street form the park but still a DL property were made to Stand in Line for 2 HOURS while the park opened,and the Monorail just SAT THERE in the station for those 2 hours while 5000(or so)pin collectors where allowed in the park BEFORE the Hotel Guests.These pin collectors(not all were pin collectors,but most waiting there were,for the pin,and I am NOT disrespecting them)had camped out starting Saturday night at @ 2am at the California Adventure Park to get this one day only pin).Well I have news for Disney Brass.I,and MANY MANY MANY PAYING Disneyland/Grand Cal/Pardise Pier Hotel Guests were/are VERY TICKED OFF at Disney's handling of this.First off,I could care less how long someone who is NOT a PAYING ON PROPERTY GUEST waits for some pin OFF PROPERTY.That is THEIR choice.They did NOT pay close to $400 a night to stay in the Park and they should NOT have been allowed in the park before us.Plain and simple.I mean one woman I spoke to( a non guest who capmed out across the park) said it took her a total of 11 HOURS until she received her precious pin.She got it then left the park and went to sleep.She evne felt Hotel guests should have gottone in first,and that she should have gotten her voucher either as she got on line outside the park or as she entered.My wife heard ALOT of people were on multiple lines for literally 8,9 and 10 hours to get the $8.95 pin,and after they did,they just left the park!So many of them(not all of course)did not even enjoy the park.The Hotel guests WANTED to enjoy the park but we were made to stand in the HOT SUN for 2 hours while the NON Hotel guests were let in.WRONG again Disney.Many pin collectors even said they all should have been given a voucher either at the gate or while they were otuside the park so they could get their pin at a later time.Instead,Disney had them wait on MULTIPLE lines for HOURS AND HOURS to then wait AGAIN to get their voucher IN THE PARK in the back,I think,of Splash Mountain at some Festival thing.WRONG again Disney.Why treat your guests like DIRT,no matter if they were day trippers or Hotel Guests.Both sets were HUGELY disrespected by Disney Brass.Don't get me wrong,I have nothing but PRAISE for the Cast Members IN the Park.They did a GREAT JOB and should ALL get a RAISE.But Disney Brass REALLY BLEW this,BIG TIME.Please I do not want to hear how "hard it was",blah blah as an excuse.Disneyland has been in business for 50 YEARS!and this was no surprise to them.It was just the bosses resting on Disney's laurels and not giving a heap.For shame!What is the POINT of staying at overpriced On site Disney Hotels if you receive NOTHING for it?I mean they did NOTHING special for the Hotel Guests AT ALL.

I think it is upsetting that the Hotel may have led you to believe there would be perks and there was not however,

[QUOTE=MansionLover]:mad: :( we are PAYING ALOT of hard earned money(we saved for a YEAR for this!).Well.the Hotel Staff and Front Desk had NO IDEA what time we would be let in,if the monorail would allow us,as PAYING ON SITE GUESTS,in earlier,or even if anything special would be done for Hotel Guests.The night before the 17th the Hotel did say that all Hotel Guests would get in the park,like THAT was a "Gift" to us.LMAO.PLEASE!!!
Disneyland makes people buy a $2000 package per person to get the "right" to buy things BEFORE anyone else?Huh?Money talks, and it sounds like a case of the "haves and have nots"....
First off,I could care less how long someone who is NOT a PAYING ON PROPERTY GUEST waits for some pin OFF PROPERTY.That is THEIR choice.They did NOT pay close to $400 a night to stay in the Park and they should NOT have been allowed in the park before us.Plain and simple.

Dom262
07-24-2005, 02:54 PM
I started to post a long thread in reply to this, but changed my mind.

Sounds like another typical person thinking that Disney owes them more for being either an "PAP" or "staying on property".

When will people realize that you are not more privelaged then anyone else beacause you are staying on property or because you are a "PAP".

Stop expecting preferred treatment and be happy with what you have.

Disney4Me
07-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by MansionLover
we are PAYING ALOT of hard earned money(we saved for a YEAR for this!).Well.the Hotel Staff and Front Desk had NO IDEA what time we would be let in,if the monorail would allow us,as PAYING ON SITE GUESTS,in earlier,or even if anything special would be done for Hotel Guests.The night before the 17th the Hotel did say that all Hotel Guests would get in the park,like THAT was a "Gift" to us.LMAO.PLEASE!!!
Disneyland makes people buy a $2000 package per person to get the "right" to buy things BEFORE anyone else?Huh?Money talks, and it sounds like a case of the "haves and have nots"....First off,I could care less how long someone who is NOT a PAYING ON PROPERTY GUEST waits for some pin OFF PROPERTY.That is THEIR choice.They did NOT pay close to $400 a night to stay in the Park and they should NOT have been allowed in the park before us.Plain and simple.

You talk about have and have nots and seem upset over the people that spent $2000. on a package that gets in before you. You then turn around and say because you are a "Have" and saved a year and spent $400 for the night that you should be let in before someone like me a "Havenot" who saved for 3 yrs and stayed at an Economy hotel just because you are a paying property guest. I stay at Economy because that is what I can afford after 3 yrs, hotel, transfers, flights etc..so it seems to me that you maybe think because I am not able to afford the hotel I should be let in after you.

Then you complain that non paying Hotel guests should wait off property for the pin. These people paid the same price for Admission as you! If they choose to wait in line for 8 hours for a pin, let them if they want to! If you choose to stay at the Hotel I guess the Perk is great service, rooms, cleanliness, pools, and nice things like that. Non paying guests pay for tickets to get into the park the same as you. So why should you be special just because you can afford a great hotel. I think after saving for 3 yrs it is a privilage to go and would like to take kids I know that may not ever get to. Disneyland is for everyone regardless of economical status. If you can afford the $400 and more expensive souvenirs, great! But we pay the same price for an entry ticket into the park, so I will see you in line and you can tell me about the hotel.

What is the POINT of staying at overpriced On site Disney Hotels if you receive NOTHING for it? Ambience???

stitchlvr
07-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I started to post a long thread in reply to this, but changed my mind.

Sounds like another typical person thinking that Disney owes them more for being either an "PAP" or "staying on property".

When will people realize that you are not more privelaged then anyone else beacause you are staying on property or because you are a "PAP".

Stop expecting preferred treatment and be happy with what you have.

Please don't lump everyone together. I have been a PAP for a number of years (officially I'm not now as mine expired yesterday). I have never expected any special or preferential treatment other than what the PAP gives you (discounts and no blackout days). I realize that there are those out there with a sense of entitlement but I don't thing that's directly related to having a PAP.

SCUBAbe
07-24-2005, 04:06 PM
What is the POINT of staying at overpriced On site Disney Hotels if you receive NOTHING for it? Ambience???

they are very nice, clean hotels, with comy beds and great air. I ahve stayed on property several times and prefer it to the economy places across the street, but I also stay across the street. the DL hotels win hands down with the exception of HoJo's. However, the most I will pay to stay in a DL hotel is about $189.00 and the most I have ever spent is $169.00. The bottom line is if I plan to stay in my room I want it to be nice, but when I'm using it to sleep in shower in then I don't care and thats what we do when we stay at theme park hotels, because we're in the parks all daand most of the night.

I has a really hard time picking a san diego hotel for sea world. the way cheap economy ones were going for $139.00 so choose a slightly more upscale one for $159.00. I figure if I'm spending that much I will spend a bit more and at least egt a nicer hotel...LOL...what do i expect out of the hotel??..I clean room, nice pillows and hopefully quiet neighbors so I can sleep..:)

Disney4Me
07-24-2005, 04:27 PM
DISNEY4ME quoting MANSIONLOVER
What is the POINT of staying at overpriced On site Disney Hotels if you receive NOTHING for it?

Ambience!!! Wish I could stay there.

MrsG
07-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Please don't lump everyone together. I have been a PAP for a number of years (officially I'm not now as mine expired yesterday). I have never expected any special or preferential treatment other than what the PAP gives you (discounts and no blackout days). I realize that there are those out there with a sense of entitlement but I don't thing that's directly related to having a PAP.
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.

SCUBAbe
07-24-2005, 04:39 PM

same here...I never expect special treatment. When I go to sea world I will expect reserved seats for the shows, but only because my pass says I get that...LOL

Pat-n-Eil
07-24-2005, 05:23 PM
I actually do stay at the properties for a reason.. I book through AAA and stay on property to get the enhanced FastPass. If I had booked a stay during the July 17th weekend, the only thing I'd agree with the original poster would be that I would feel entitled to entry into the park with my ticket.

Not early entry. Not entry before everyone else who waited in line. But the ability to go into the park - and that is what Disney said they would do, so no problem.

You do get other perks - like the shopping bag service where they deliver your stuff back to your hotel. Charging stuff to your room and, in the case of GCH, having your own entrance to the park. These are enough for me.

You have to feel for Disney here though - if you'll allow a little Devil's advocate. Knowing the number of pins and other merchandise - even just a great on-target estimate of the number of guests was very difficult. If they flew by the seat of their pants, it was probably because of the unpredictability of people. From all I've read, despite the worries ahead of time, everything came off fine fr the 50th.

I understand some of what the O.P. is trying to convey - but the tone seems all wrong.

Susan L
07-24-2005, 07:14 PM
MansionLover, what exactly was it that the DLR promised you that you didn't get? I mean the DLR is always very up front about what they will and will not do for on property guest. Everything they tell you that guest are entitled to is in writing in your package materials. All should have been in black and white for you before you ever even got to the resort.

As for people paying for a 2000 grand package to get stuff before others do, so be it, they paid for that privilege.

You know up front that you are going to pay extra for staying on property, and that's why most of us take a year or more to save up for it. The number one reason we stay on property is for the atmosphere and the convience of being on property. We also go with AAA for the fastpass perk. The only thing we really missed on our last two visits was the early entry, even that was only of certain days. As far as having more privilege at the parks then non property guest that has never been the norm for the DLR.

CoasterChickie
07-24-2005, 07:30 PM
We stayed at the DLH on the 17th through 19th and we didn't expect anything other than our room which turned out to be very nice for the price we paid for it on Expedia thanks to a very special lady!! ;)

We alos never planned to go in the park that day other than to get in , get our golden ears , and get out. But we were glad that we were included in the guest count so that we would be allowed to enter the park if it reached capacity.

The really nice thing was that since everyone was over at the park that morning , I was in the shortest line ever when I registered in the lobby that morning. The CM Robert was great and he gave me a packet with some of th especial 50th park schedules in it as well as a coupn for some free pins which I redeemed right away so I could give every one in our party a pin to trade for the one of our choice.

We were happy little campers. Guess we just weren't that hard to please!! ;)