PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the firework 7/22

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfun
07-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Okay I did not go to disney today but spent a lovely afternoon/eving in California Adventure. Due to cercumstances beyond my controll we stayed a bit latter than expected. As we got onthe tram I noticed the time was 9:32 So I warned my daughter the fireworks would be starting any minute and may be loud. at 9:57 I was on ball raod and still no fire works?
I just got home and I think I am finally hearing the fire works.But that seems a little late. Anyonw know what the delay is /was?

ToursbabeC3po
07-22-2005, 09:33 PM
I know it was a bit windy today so maybe it was cancled do to the wind.
Toursbabe

Disneyfun
07-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Could be But it did not seem windy in DCA or at the parking lot?
Hmmm :confused:

SCUBAbe
07-22-2005, 09:42 PM
don't they start at 9:20pm..??

ToursbabeC3po
07-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Sometimes it does not seem windy down on the ground where you are walking but the higher up you go the faster the wind blows. This may have not been the problem tonight but most of the time fireworks are cancled for rain or wind. I am sorry you did not get to see the fireworks tonight that is a bummer :-(

Mark Mywords
07-22-2005, 11:31 PM
don't they start at 9:20pm..??

Yep, 9:25 actually.

MyBeast
07-23-2005, 12:45 AM
I spoke to the Disneyland Operator and the fireworks were cancelled tonight due to wind.

pretty Omi
07-23-2005, 01:29 AM
i would also like to note that during thursday night, i did not see Tinkerbell... however, this may be due to my bad angle...

kristen
07-23-2005, 01:54 AM
I was there tonight and we were going to get my friends to see the fireworks show finally, but first it was delayed and then cancelled (bummer since we had a good spot) but we left at the first delay while most people stayed and we got pasta which we ate in line for space mountain. It was cool! We did a whole bunch last minute rides and left after the park closed. The winds at the high altitudes are a good reason to not do the show even though it's inconvenient--I'd rather wait for another visit than have Disneyland burn down from the glory of a firework thrown off course...lol, JK, but kinda true...

Alex S.
07-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Wind is what Cast Members were telling people last night. So far I have no reason to not believe that.

If you heard fireworks later, it was probably from the Angels game.

cosmicjive
07-23-2005, 08:36 AM
On July 3, we were in perfect position for the fireworks. We could see from the light reflected from Frontierland that Fantasmic had ended, but no fireworks. 9:25 came and went, no fireworks. What was more important was that there was no announcement of a delay. An off-duty cast member near us speculated that it might be wind, but he said they should announce the delay if that was the problem.

About 9:50 the crowd started to get really rowdy. People were booing all over the plaza, really loud. We actually started to get worried that a riot would break out.

Then the fireworks started, and we discovered what the problem was. The sound system in the plaza area wasn't working. We could just barely hear the soundtrack coming from some other areas. That's why they didn't announce the delay -- they couldn't because the system that they use to announce a delay was what was broken!

About 5 minutes into the fireworks, the sound system in the Plaza kicked in, and the fireworks continued without further incident.

-Jeff "etumor"

SteveK
07-23-2005, 08:49 AM
We were on Main Street waiting for them last night and they had 3 "delay" announcements followed by a cancellation announcement. All were attributed to high winds at higher altitudes. It was a little breezy but didn't seem like enough to warrant cancellation.
-Steve

DisneyDustin22
07-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I was there last night and we were atop Space Mountain waiting in the que and it was blowing pretty good up there. To the point where everyone was praising the coolness in the weather. It was fun from above to see after the cancellation announcement a whole heard of people bumrush space mountain.

mckygirl99
07-23-2005, 10:22 AM
I was there last night and had premium seating for the 10:30 show of Fantasmic when the announcement was made. I got there at about 8:00 and the wind was blowing through the parking structure. We were told that they might have to cancel the 10:30 show of Fantasmic but the winds had died down by then. Glad I had those seats b/c that showing was completely packed out due to the cancelled fireworks!

phoenixfire2k5
07-23-2005, 11:14 AM
The other fireworks that you heard were probably the ones at Angel Stadium after the angels beat the yankees.

Jiffer
07-23-2005, 12:16 PM
We were at the park on Wednesday, 7/20 and we heard the announcements that weather may prevent the fireworks show from taking place. It seemed somewhat suspicious as there wasn't even the slightest breeze. I watched a balloon as it was floating away to see if there were stronger winds higher up. There didn't appear to be any strong winds even at the higher elevation. The fireworks show did take place that night.

We were also there last night and heard the announcements regarding the weather delaying the show and later cancelling the show. It seemed a bit ironic that Angels Stadium could proceed with their fireworks show with the weather condition the way it was, but Disneyland had to cancel theirs. I'm not completely convinced that it's weather that's causing the delays and cancellations, especially after the fire at Snow White's Grotto on 7/18.

FantasmicFanatic
07-23-2005, 12:56 PM
We were on Main Street waiting for them last night and they had 3 "delay" announcements followed by a cancellation announcement. All were attributed to high winds at higher altitudes. It was a little breezy but didn't seem like enough to warrant cancellation.
-Steve

That's because the winds were at "higher elevations", ya know like the elevations the fireworks explode at? :-) I was working Guest Control for fireworks last night in the hub and it shocks me how many people complain or think that DL is wrong and say "it doesn't fell windy to me" or "that's dumb". Well i dunno how dumb it would be when 1000+ people are covered in hot ash. My 2 cents.

FF

ToursbabeC3po
07-23-2005, 01:25 PM
That's because the winds were at "higher elevations", ya know like the elevations the fireworks explode at? :-) I was working Guest Control for fireworks last night in the hub and it shocks me how many people complain or think that DL is wrong and say "it doesn't fell windy to me" or "that's dumb". Well i dunno how dumb it would be when 1000+ people are covered in hot ash. My 2 cents.

FF
I think a lot of people do not understand that even though it is not windy where they are standing there can be strong gust at the higher elevations where the fireworks take place. I know that Disneyland HATES cancelling fireworks and they only do it if there is a safety concern because of the amount of complaints they receive when they do. IT is easier to just have things running then it is to cancel a show or shut down a ride. I remember when any of my attractions were closed for mechanical malfunctions I would be a mess because of the amount of complaints and the people that would just get Irate about the attraction being closed. It is much easier dealing with a happy guest.
On the other hand I can understand the guest frustration and disappointment.Many people wait for hours to get a good spot for the fireworks and when you have waited and you get no reward at the end it can make people very angry.
I know angels stadium have different criteria for the all clear for fireworks. I am not sure why and what they are but Disneyland has some of the most strict restrictions. Have a great day everyone:-)

AaronInCal
07-23-2005, 11:12 PM
The fireworks were again cancelled tonight, July 23, due to winds. At least at ground level, there were way less winds than there were last night. Can't help but wonder if this has something to do with the fire they had on Monday night. They may have tougher restrictions before the show can go on..

kristen
07-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, it amazes me how much people complain and act like there's some big conspiracy against them when these things get canceled. Disney is not trying to irritate you! Think about it: how much more upset would you be if one of the trees lit on fire or you baby got hot ash in their eyes or the park had to be evacuated! Wouldn't you say, "Disney should have prevented that?" Well, that's what they're doing! They make more money when the shows run cause people are more likely to be happy and buy stuff or come again...I'm not trying to be mean and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I'm trying to show the other side to this and just had to give my thoughts...God bless, Kristen

Disneyfun
07-24-2005, 09:23 AM
I have been in the park when I have heard the announcement and waited in hopes it would not be cancelled. And it was. It was very disappointing but lilke stated above I would rather be safe. Espcially with the new fire works that are so close to the aduience.

SteveK
07-24-2005, 11:52 AM

FF

Yes, I completely understood that the winds at "firework elevation" must have been stronger and I have no problem with them cancelling the show for safety reasons. All I was stating was that the winds must have been significantly stronger at the higher elevations because it did not seem very windy (there was a light breeze) at ground level.
-Steve

AaronInCal
07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Also, I have seen the fireworks probably way too much. I really love fireworks, so I'll go just to see the show, and then leave. So I have seen them have the show when there has been a good breeze blowing, the smoke is very obviously blowing out of the area pretty fast, which is good! So when seeing how calm it was last night, it was just very odd. Of course, they probably do know what is going on higher up than we do. Just ever since that fire on Monday, understandably they are being extra cautious. I think a lot of people get upset because it seems like they flat out lie to the guests saying it's because of winds. I know that's probably true, but I would guess a more general "technical difficulties" announcement would cover more potential problems that could prevent the show from happening. Just my thoughts.. :D

Brydagr8
07-24-2005, 07:50 PM
We waited for 2 hours to get a good spot to see them, then they were cancled due to high winds. I guess we will never know what really was the reason for cancellelation of the fireworks. It was probaly a mixture between the fire on monday high winds, and overall cheapness. I have been to disneyland during santa anna winds and they still shot fireworks. We were sitting by these people who were really mad. One guy yelled out "Those Jackasses!" (pardon my french) I thing everyone thought that at that moment. Oh well, I guess satan smiled upon disneyland this weekend. With the heat, people smelling of B.O., those annoying blue spray bottles, crowd control that makes you go halfway across the park just to make a left, and the cancellelation of the worlds greatest firework show.

MyBeast
07-24-2005, 08:04 PM
We waited for 2 hours to get a good spot to see them, then they were cancled due to high winds. I guess we will never know what really was the reason for cancellelation of the fireworks. It was probaly a mixture between the fire on monday high winds, and overall cheapness. I have been to disneyland during santa anna winds and they still shot fireworks.

1. why are you complaining when you have an annual pass?
2. You think its because Disneyland is cheap? No, they actually did it just to annoy YOU. Believe me, if they could have set off the fireworks, they would have, especially on a weekend.
3. The fireworks this year are different, they are shot differently, they do different things and they are trying to save your ungrateful butt from becoming toast. You'd probably also be the one to complain when fallout dropped on your head.

Blah. People that complain about everything annoy me. Give them a break for trying to be safe. At least you aren't on fire are you?