PDA

View Full Version : Did DL actually run out of food?

Pages : [1] 2

dlandnut
07-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I've heard a couple of different news spots about the 50th festivities. One made mention of the fact that "it was so crowded that places in DL ran out of food". Did anyone who was there on July 17th really try to order something that was not available? Just curious. :)

adriennek
07-22-2005, 01:54 PM
It was soooooo not that crowded.

They didn't even close the main gate. I can't imagine anywhere running out of food. I'm sure if they had, they could have just passed out cupcakes ;) :eek:

Adrienne

Shortiemetoo
07-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I never had a problem...and they were still trying to pass out cupcakes at 8 p.m. while our tour group was getting on BTMRR...ewww...lol couldn't stand to see any more of them by then...although they smelled heavenly!! :D

dlandnut
07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
yummy. . . i'm assuming they were chocolate, of course, lol. :)

cosmicjive
07-22-2005, 02:17 PM
July 17, 2005 wasn't crowded at all. There is no way they could have run out of food. It was more crowded when I was there last night (a Thursday) than it had been when I was there on Sunday (the 17th).

However, on July 17, 1955, the opening day of the park was so crowded that they ran out of food (11,000 people were expected, 28,000 showed up).

Perhaps you misheard, or perhaps the news report got things confused (which happens all of the time).

-Jeff "etumor"

disneyperson
07-22-2005, 03:01 PM
One of the things we were most pleasantly surprised about was that we had no trouble at all getting food. The lines were short or moderate and the CMs seemed relaxed and in control. They were still pushing cupcakes on us at the Stagedoor Cafe at 9:00.

DisneyDustin22
07-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I imagine Disney suspected an overabundance of cupcake takers on the 17th. Ya know like those people who go to las vegas buffet's and stuff their pockets with meat and omlets. ;)

(crickets) :|

Oh come on!! I know I'm not the only one who does that! :eek:

Craigster- diver
07-22-2005, 03:11 PM
I've read that on July 17, 1955 there was a shortage of food (and water, and washrooms, etc....).

Perhaps dlandnut was hearing stories of the original opening fiasco, not the 50th birthday party ??

Craig

edit: *doh* someone else posts faster than I do.....sorry for the duplicate information.

Rusty77
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I've heard a couple of different news spots about the 50th festivities. One made mention of the fact that "it was so crowded that places in DL ran out of food". Did anyone who was there on July 17th really try to order something that was not available? Just curious. :)
The 17th really was not that crowded like everyone was thinking it was gonna be. They had amazing crowd control and NO they did not run out of food. actually after 4:45 dedication, the crowd eased up a whole lot. most rides were about 20-30 minute wait.

Shortiemetoo
07-22-2005, 03:16 PM
trying to get down main street to get to our fireworks viewing station was NOT fun!!! Our tour guide left us in tomorrowland and said "We will all meet at the firestation"...man alive...what a nightmare! We went through shops and restaurants as the crowds on the street for the fireworks was so thick!! lol but it was a fun memory, darting through the crowds and all!!

disneyperson
07-22-2005, 03:29 PM
I imagine Disney suspected an overabundance of cupcake takers on the 17th. Ya know like those people who go to las vegas buffet's and stuff their pockets with meat and omlets. ;)

Oh come on!! I know I'm not the only one who does that! :eek:
I can say with complete honesty that I have never put an omlette in my pocket.

DisneyDustin22
07-22-2005, 03:31 PM

That's why you wrap it in foil, duh! j.k :D

disneyperson
07-22-2005, 04:05 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dsny1mom
07-22-2005, 04:48 PM
After the 11:30 showing of F!, on our way to the monrail to return to the DLH, we saw 5 or 6 CMs with entire boxs of cupcakes trying to give then away to those leaving. One begged us to take them, we politely refused her offer. LOL

dsny1mom

Opus1guy
07-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Who can forget the Great Frontierland Churro Shortage Riots of 1994?

;)

cstephens
07-22-2005, 05:06 PM
I was asked the same question by someone at work, who had heard on the news that they'd run out of food and that it was so crowded they had to turn off some of the rides because they couldn't handle that much capacity. I just kind of stared at her and said that it wasn't that crowded at all, so I wasn't sure why they were reporting that. It didn't occur to me that they could have talking about opening day, and that she missed that part.

After the 11:30 showing of F!, on our way to the monrail to return to the DLH, we saw 5 or 6 CMs with entire boxs of cupcakes trying to give then away to those leaving. One begged us to take them, we politely refused her offer. LOL

dsny1mom

Just a slight derail - it was so nice to run into you on Friday. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat more. Hope you had (are having - don't know if you're still there) a great time!

dsny1mom
07-22-2005, 07:04 PM
I was asked the same question by someone at work, who had heard on the news that they'd run out of food and that it was so crowded they had to turn off some of the rides because they couldn't handle that much capacity. I just kind of stared at her and said that it wasn't that crowded at all, so I wasn't sure why they were reporting that. It didn't occur to me that they could have talking about opening day, and that she missed that part.

Just a slight derail - it was so nice to run into you on Friday. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat more. Hope you had (are having - don't know if you're still there) a great time!

It was great to see you too! I wish there had been more time to chat too, but with your package and our crazy schedule, I'm glad we even got a chance to say hello!

We came back home the 18th, sadly.

But I'll continue to live vicariously through your amazing reports, until we return :)

dsny1mom

rentayenta
07-22-2005, 09:57 PM

They didn't even close the main gate. I can't imagine anywhere running out of food. I'm sure if they had, they could have just passed out cupcakes ;) :eek:

Adrienne

Too true. When I took Gab in to meet Keith and Mukta there were at least 4 CMs that I saw schlepping cupcakes. I heard people saying No more cupcakes please.

They were yummy though.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
07-22-2005, 10:02 PM
At 1pm at the Carnation Cafe they told us when they brought the menu's that they were out of Oscar's special of the day already, which was a chef's type salad. I don't know if it was the crowds or the fact that it was bloody hot and a big salad was just the ticket so they went fast. I'm inclined to go with the latter.

-TLMt

CinemaGal15
07-23-2005, 12:26 PM

Adrienne

It was crowded and they did close the gates early in the morning around the time of the dedication, but then of course reopened it not too long after. And as far as I know, no one ran out of food, they only ran out of plastic plates, plasticware, and paper cups because we were calling for all of these thing and so was everyone else.

CinemaGal15
07-23-2005, 12:27 PM
yummy. . . i'm assuming they were chocolate, of course, lol. :)

No they were vanilla.

SCUBAbe
07-23-2005, 12:39 PM

I took two macaroons once.

KJSJpipe
07-23-2005, 12:48 PM
My husbands one grandmother brought tupperware to my bridal shower and had a granddaughter fill it from the buffet for the grandfather...she said she would not be cooking so he'd get whatever she brought home! :| DH also told me she used to take jello home from Ponderosa (in P's conatainer!), whip cream and all! :rolleyes: :eek:
How emabarrising!

adriennek
07-23-2005, 12:50 PM
It was crowded and they did close the gates early in the morning around the time of the dedication, but then of course reopened it not too long after.

Right, but my understanding was not that the park was at capacity but that Main Street was so crowded that it could not handle the congestion of adding people that would be walking down Main Street.

Does anyone know if the Monorail entrance closed, too?

Adrienne

parksfan
07-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Right, but my understanding was not that the park was at capacity but that Main Street was so crowded that it could not handle the congestion of adding people that would be walking down Main Street.

Does anyone know if the Monorail entrance closed, too?

Adrienne
On the 16th, Cafe Orleans ran out of hot dogs...which I thought was crazy that D-Land could actually run out of hot dogs!!! The 17th was great...had two cupcakes, btw they were vanilla.