PDA

View Full Version : Got my packet!

Pat-n-Eil
07-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Another step has been taken toward my DLR vacation experience.

I received my pack from AAA for our August vacation.

Of particular interest to me was the current map on one side and the reprint of the original opening day map on the other. That was fun.

My wife was also particularly fond of the Tinkerbell luggage tags.

Also received my preferred seating for Aladding coupon along with my early entry to Toon Town and Fantasyland coupons (which we'll likely not use).

My wife calls me on the phone yesterday at work and says "I have a song for you. Yo Ho Yo Ho the pirate's life for me" and hangs up.. thus sticking that song in my head all day long.. wicked woman! :)

Oh boy.. the anticipation is rising.

vickieluvsmickey
07-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Is the map only available through AAA? I would love to have one. We live only 30 min. from DL and have APs, so we've never thought we had a reason to book anything through AAA (we're members, though).

Does AAA arrange something as simple as one nights hotel stay? And I wonder if I would get a better rate through the "AP nights" promotion.

Thanks!
~Vickie

Zigen
07-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Do you have to get park hoppers with the AAA package or can you opt. out of that?

Pat-n-Eil
07-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Is the map only available through AAA? I would love to have one. We live only 30 min. from DL and have APs, so we've never thought we had a reason to book anything through AAA (we're members, though).

Does AAA arrange something as simple as one nights hotel stay? And I wonder if I would get a better rate through the "AP nights" promotion.

Thanks!
~Vickie

I don't know if this Map is a AAA exclusive or if it is the same one they handed out on July 17th.. it says it was only ever given out twice before, opening day and again (I think) at one of the big anniversaries - and now for the 50th.. I don't have it here with me right now to check.

As far as rates go, I find that I can book my AAA room (2 night minimum) and tickets on an interface that looks to be nearly identical to the one that Disney's website uses.. and I get the same accomodations for less. From what I've heard, however, the AP nights are probably an even better rate.

Pat-n-Eil
07-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Do you have to get park hoppers with the AAA package or can you opt. out of that?

I DON'T think you can book through AAA without the tickets being included, at least not off their website.

Shortiemetoo
07-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Woo Hoo, I am so happy for both of you!!! I can't wait to read your trip report!!!

shawnarae
07-22-2005, 08:59 AM

Thanks!
~Vickie

Actually you can get room only reservations from AAA for the 3 DL Hotels. I did :)

I am an AP holder and the AAA rates are still cheaper for Oct. I am sure DL would match the rates, and I don't think I get anything extra for booking on AAA (luggage tags, maps...nothing like that).

For Oct 14 & 15th AAA rate at DL Hotel is $205 a night, AP discount is $212.

Also Oct 28 & 29th has a AAA rate at DL Hotel as $205, GC at $265 and PP at $160. AP Discount for these dates are $212 at DL , $270 at GC and $185 at PP. Not huge differences (except PP has a $25 a day savings if booked with AAA).

.....Just go to the website and click on "Hotels" NOT "Disney". Then you type in your date and "Anaheim" as your city. All hotels will come up in alphabetical order. I went to the letter D area and found all 3 Disney hotels there!

pisces
07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Details, please. Did it come Fed Ex? Was the envelope a standard letter size, or a big 'ol parcel? Did they print your name in an elegant script, or was it a generic font? Where's the lanyard?

Do you have a camera to post the pictures?

I booked with AAA last year and was sent......absolutely nothin. I did everything separate (Hotel and parkhoppers ala carte), though. It wasn't a package.

So, I picked up everything when I got to the hotel.

disneyland addict13
07-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah we're leaving tomorrow morning and my mom called me today and said "Kathryn, I have to tell you something..." She sounded very serious so I was worried it would be bad news but then she just breaks out in song and sings "Yo Ho Yo Ho A pirate's life for me" I was cracking up and she hung up the phone. That made me really realize that 24 hours from now, I will be IN Disneyland!

adamvonwillis
07-22-2005, 10:46 AM
i have one of the maps from 1959... my mom gave it to me!

Pat-n-Eil
07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Details, please. Did it come Fed Ex? Was the envelope a standard letter size, or a big 'ol parcel? Did they print your name in an elegant script, or was it a generic font? Where's the lanyard?

Do you have a camera to post the pictures?

I booked with AAA last year and was sent......absolutely nothin. I did everything separate (Hotel and parkhoppers ala carte), though. It wasn't a package.

So, I picked up everything when I got to the hotel.

I think booking a Disney "package" is key to any of the extras.

It came Fed Ex. It was the "small" Fed Ex box with a standard label on it.

Inside there was:
• A little divided cardboard package with tabs inside for the various papers in there with Tinkerbelle on the front & flap.
• My super special 50th Anniversary Commemorative Certificate, suitable for framing.
• Four luggage tags complete with Golden Color scheme and adorned by Tinkerbelle
• Four coupons for premium seating to Aladdin and a couple of other things.
• Early entry coupons for Fantasyland and Mickey's Toon Town (for one day each I assume)
• A certificate that allows me to get the special Lanyard & Pin. This will need to be redeemed at the park.
• A piece of paper I need to check into the hotel (GCH)
• A map with the modern version of Disneyland on the front and a reprinted Map of the park from July 17th, 1955 on the back.

That's about it that I can remember. No, I don't have any pictures of it - but if you're really interested in some I can take some and post them tomorrow.

pisces
07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh, that's interesting. You need a coupon for the EE ??? I thought just the park hopper ticket allows EE.

Pat-n-Eil
07-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Oh, that's interesting. You need a coupon for the EE ??? I thought just the park hopper ticket allows EE.

You may be correct. I think a multi-day parkhopper allows you one early entry into the park. These two coupons appear to let me into Toon Town and Fantasyland an hour before they are open to the public. I really don't know about how the park partially opens or when the "lands" are opened, but that's what I'm gathering from the coupons.

pisces
07-22-2005, 01:31 PM
SHAWNRAE: What website are you talking about? When I booked through AAA, my AAA travel agent told me that they have a screen that is private that only travel agents can get into. I couldn't do anything online, I had to make all my reservations by phone, with an authorized AAA agent, to get the special rates.

PAT: Could you have picked up everything, and have it ready and waiting for you, at the hotel?, if you'd wanted to? I'd be afraid I'd lose those coupons, or spill something on 'em before I got there. Can't keep track of anything to save my life.

shawnarae
07-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Here is my AAA homepage. I am a member through AAA's AZ branch, but I assume every state has their own website:

AAA Website (http://www.aaaaz.com/)

Then instead of clicking on the blue Disney logo (which takes you to DL packages), I clicked on the word "hotel" and entered my info (city, state & date). When the hotels in Anaheim came up for my dates, I went to the letter "D" area (for Disneyland) and saw all 3 hotels and their rates :)

shawnarae
07-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I want to add, I booked all my previous AAA DL packages on here too....and it was no problem at all. I give high marks to this website and how easy it is to use. I also made all my payments online here too. For the packages I believe I put down a deposit and went back 45 before departure to pay my balance :)

shawnarae
07-22-2005, 05:11 PM
You may be correct. I think a multi-day parkhopper allows you one early entry into the park. These two coupons appear to let me into Toon Town and Fantasyland an hour before they are open to the public. I really don't know about how the park partially opens or when the "lands" are opened, but that's what I'm gathering from the coupons.

I just did all this a few weekends ago :) Here is how it works:

If the park opens at 8am then you get Early Entry at 7am with your hopper pass. The hopper must be a 3 day or more hopper, and it should say on the ticket something like "good for 1 Early Entry per visit". We went on a Sat morning. Then on your Early Entry day head to the gates about 10 minutes prior to opening (or Monorail station) & there will be lines forming for EE. The ticket will chime when you go through acknowledging the EE. They will also stamp your ticket with the date and EE next to the date. So people can't do EE twice on their vacation I guess. Then you will have an hour before regular admission to enjoy Fantasyland, plus Buzz was open when we were there & I have heard people say Space was open too (can't confirm or deny). Matterhorn is part of Fantasyland, so many people headed to that ride.

Then Toontown usually opens an hour after regular admission, so if the park opens at 8am, then Toontown opens at 9am for the general admission. BUT WITH THAT COUPON you get in at 8am! An hour before the masses do.....they have a little celebration, time with characters and you can go on the rides too! So after EE head to Toontown and surrender your "Toontown Mickey's Madness" ticket for admission through the gates!!! Have fun :)

CrazyMouse
07-22-2005, 05:18 PM
I got my packet too! Like i told you it was supposed to be on AIM. Wow it's so organized in the packet in sections! I can't wait! :fez:

Pat-n-Eil
07-23-2005, 08:50 AM
PAT: Could you have picked up everything, and have it ready and waiting for you, at the hotel?, if you'd wanted to? I'd be afraid I'd lose those coupons, or spill something on 'em before I got there. Can't keep track of anything to save my life.

Booking this package online, it did not give me any option. It just said I'd receive my materials a couple of weeks before my vacation - and that's what they did. I don't know if you arrange for that by actually talking to a AAA travel agent either in person or on the telephone. I didn't really think about it. We've booked through AAA to Disneyland before and so I knew how they worked already and didn't give it a second thought.

pisces
07-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Shawnrae: That is a great site. :) ...However.... :) With respect to the Grand Californian, the rates on the AAA site, for them, are the standard ones everywhere you go. But, other hotels, are, just like you said, :) greatly discounted.

It might be a hit or miss, to book online with AAA. My personal advice would be to go ahead and book with AAA online; but, at some point close to when you go, talk with a live AAA agent to verify that you, did, in fact, get the lowest rates possible, and that there was definitely nothing cheaper.

Just a suggestion. :) :)

Pat-n-Eil
07-24-2005, 07:22 AM
With respect to the Grand Californian, the rates on the AAA site, for them, are the standard ones everywhere you go. But, other hotels, are, just like you said, :) greatly discounted.

Pisces, I have found tht booking the trip through AAA at the Grand Californian and then booking the exact same trip on the Disney site side by side gave me a couple hundred dollars off on the AAA side.. Again, I've always booked the full "Disneyland Package" trip with tickets and not just the hotel by itself, but it was cheaper through AAA every time.

Doug
07-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Got a pic of it? Have you scanned it, you want might to, to preserve it...

i have one of the maps from 1959... my mom gave it to me!

CrazyMouse
07-24-2005, 09:03 AM
PAT&ELI Use the EE for Space Mountain!!!!!! Hehe.

Disney4Me
07-24-2005, 11:52 AM

IN Canada BCAA/AAA allowed me to book without purchasing passes. I booked Airfare/Hotel/transfers/. She when she looked at the prices right now of the 5 day parkhopper which is what they offer and then I would have to buy an additional 2 day one and figured it was cheaper to get an annual pass through Disney.com instead. (I didn't care about the early entry.) She was helpful and I saved a bit by splitting the package that way. I did it through their 1-800 line though not over the internet. I did get my Disneyland tickets online and they came the otherday in a plain old Fed Ex envelope.