PDA

View Full Version : Ward Kimball

phoenixfire2k5
07-21-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm sure someone will probably answer this really quickly. As I'm sure someone will probably want to slap me for not knowing this, being that I'm a mousepadder and an annual passholder who lives 5 minutes from Dland. But what is the significance of the new locomotive, the Ward Kimball? Going through the Yesterland site, I saw a reference to the legendary Ward Kimball who did It's Tough To Be A Bird and won an academy award for it. Does it have something to do with him I presume? I've seen a few posts and comments about it, so I'm just wondering. <dodges a few tomatoes for not knowing> :p

tod
07-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm sure someone will probably answer this really quickly. As I'm sure someone will probably want to slap me for not knowing this, being that I'm a mousepadder and an annual passholder who lives 5 minutes from Dland. But what is the significance of the new locomotive, the Ward Kimball? Going through the Yesterland site, I saw a reference to the legendary Ward Kimball who did It's Tough To Be A Bird and won an academy award for it. Does it have something to do with him I presume? I've seen a few posts and comments about it, so I'm just wondering. <dodges a few tomatoes for not knowing> :p

This is kind of like asking "Who is this Walt Disney fellow? He sounds interesting."

A search on Ward Kimball's name will give you a pretty good idea what the big deal is all about. Let me start you off with this:

He's the guy who turned Walt on to trains.

--t

phoenixfire2k5
07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
This is kind of like asking "Who is this Walt Disney fellow? He sounds interesting."

--t

LOL! Allrighty then!. Thanks. <dodges a few more tomatoes>

smd4
07-22-2005, 07:50 AM
It's a fair question Phoenixfire. No tomatoes from me!

Ward Kimball was one of Disney's most-talented animators, drawing the likes of Jiminy Cricket and the Casey Junior Circus train, among many others. He was alos a very good friend of Walt Disney's.

It's not so much that Ward "turned Walt on to trains." Walt was already interested in trains, having written later, "I have always loved trains." What was important is that Walt discovered that Ward liked trains too, so much so that he had an actual steam locomotive in his back yard! When Walt found out Ward liked trains, he found a kindred spirit. Ward was involved with the Disneyland Railroad right from the beginning, suggesting color schemes and car styles, and, later, what one of the engines should look like. So, he's been pretty influential, not only in animation, but in trains as well.

Now, about your question as to the signifigance of the new engine. It's significant in a number of ways. It is the first locomotive added to the line since 1959; It is named for Ward Kimball, because of his influence; It was a long time coming, having made its way onto DL property way back in 1999; and finally, it represents another steam locomotive brought back to life, as there are precious few left today. And of course, the engine has a long, fascinating history, having been originally constructed in 1902.

phoenixfire2k5
07-22-2005, 11:12 AM
It's a fair question Phoenixfire. No tomatoes from me!

Ward Kimball was one of Disney's most-talented animators, drawing the likes of Jiminy Cricket and the Casey Junior Circus train, among many others. He was alos a very good friend of Walt Disney's.

It's not so much that Ward "turned Walt on to trains." Walt was already interested in trains, having written later, "I have always loved trains." What was important is that Walt discovered that Ward liked trains too, so much so that he had an actual steam locomotive in his back yard! When Walt found out Ward liked trains, he found a kindred spirit. Ward was involved with the Disneyland Railroad right from the beginning, suggesting color schemes and car styles, and, later, what one of the engines should look like. So, he's been pretty influential, not only in animation, but in trains as well.

Now, about your question as to the signifigance of the new engine. It's significant in a number of ways. It is the first locomotive added to the line since 1959; It is named for Ward Kimball, because of his influence; It was a long time coming, having made its way onto DL property way back in 1999; and finally, it represents another steam locomotive brought back to life, as there are precious few left today. And of course, the engine has a long, fascinating history, having been originally constructed in 1902.

Thanks for the info.

tod
07-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Ward Kimball was one of Disney's most-talented animators, drawing the likes of Jiminy Cricket and the Casey Junior Circus train, among many others. He was alos a very good friend of Walt Disney's....

Nicely done. As a longtime fan of Ward Kimball, I would have spent a lot of time discussing him as a filmmaker and animator, and never answered the question about the locomotive.

--t
not throwing tomatoes, honest, but trying to aim phoenixfire2k5 to better-written and better-researched information than whatever I can remember off the top of my head :D

smd4
07-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Oh, I know...There's TONS of stuff on Ward, and obviously, it would be silly to write it all down, when we have this wonderful research tool available at our fingertips. Besides, I'm certainly no Ward expert. My expertise lies elsewhere, and PF's question seemed to also ask about the significance of the locomotive (a subject I think I can discuss reasonably well!).