PDA

View Full Version : After the Fireworks on our last trip

DrewR
07-21-2005, 07:41 AM
After the fireworks we waited at the front of the castle for the CMs to lower the rope so we could go into Fantasyland. As a real-life rocket scientist I understand checking the area carefully after the fireworks show to make sure it is safe. (The recent fire is a great example of why they do this.) While waiting we took some pictures of the castle. During this time, the CMs were very rude. While we were patiently waiting we noticed by looking through the castle that there were people getting onto the carrousel and Peter Pan!! When we told the CMs , they didn't even look! The response they gave was that they were just cycling the ride to ensure proper and safe operation. When we finally got them to look and they saw people, the response was confusion. They didn’t know why those people were there. Although we didn’t get all the CMs names one that was particularly outspoken was Sophia. When we were finally allowed to proceed, the line for Peter Pan was all the way out to the stroller parking and Dumbo was packed!

I am very proud of our 5 and 8 yr olds. They handled it in stride and this in no way affected our mood. But, I am curious, has anybody else experience anything like this??

charpaul
07-21-2005, 07:49 AM
they always seem to open the "back" of Fantasyland first after the fireworks.
I have watched the fireworks from near the Carousel in the past and have been one of the first to get back on to the attractions. Dumbo does NOT close during fireworks. Only the attractions that are IN the castle walls close down (including Carousel )
I am surprised that the CM's at the front of the castle were so rude though....

sandiegorob
07-21-2005, 08:25 AM
After the fireworks we waited at the front of the castle for the CMs to lower the rope so we could go into Fantasyland. As a real-life rocket scientist I understand checking the area carefully after the fireworks show to make sure it is safe. (The recent fire is a great example of why they do this.) While waiting we took some pictures of the castle. During this time, the CMs were very rude. While we were patiently waiting we noticed by looking through the castle that there were people getting onto the carrousel and Peter Pan!! When we told the CMs , they didn't even look! The response they gave was that they were just cycling the ride to ensure proper and safe operation. When we finally got them to look and they saw people, the response was confusion. They didn’t know why those people were there. Although we didn’t get all the CMs names one that was particularly outspoken was Sophia. When we were finally allowed to proceed, the line for Peter Pan was all the way out to the stroller parking and Dumbo was packed!

I am very proud of our 5 and 8 yr olds. They handled it in stride and this in no way affected our mood. But, I am curious, has anybody else experience anything like this??
I recall reading a similar post either here or on another board. The post mentioned a particularly rude female CM and other confused CMs. Hopefully that person will address your post.

BigAlH
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
One thing I noticed this trip was the mixture of CM outfits during the fireworks. They seem to bring CMs in from all over the park to manage the crowds. My guess is some aren't as trained or good at handling all of it.

-al

stan4d_steph
07-26-2005, 09:11 AM
If you want to hop on the FL rides right after fireworks you need to be in the area on the back side of the castle. The people in that area will fill up the queues long before you can reach them from the front side.

evrythngwmn
07-26-2005, 09:12 AM
One thing I noticed this trip was the mixture of CM outfits during the fireworks. They seem to bring CMs in from all over the park to manage the crowds. My guess is some aren't as trained or good at handling all of it.

-al

Yep, you are correct about training and some are just slackers. One day a friend and I were waiting for the parade at Town Square. The CM working guest control was not allowing anyone to stand in the roped off walkway area and she was doing a good job of it. We were just behind the rope and had a good view staked out for almost two hours. Less than an hr before the parade starts she went on break and a new guy came out and was justing letting anyone stand anywhere. Of course all of us in the area who'd been there for hrs already were pretty unhappy about it. My friend and another woman pointed out his mistake to him but he was kind of like well what can I do they're already there. Fortunately his lead came along and righted the situation. Of course the people standing in the wrong area were upset about leaving because by this point they'd been there close to half an hr.

coronado_g
07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
If you want to hop on the FL rides right after fireworks you need to be in the area on the back side of the castle. The people in that area will fill up the queues long before you can reach them from the front side.

Good tip ~ Thanks!
(I was totally unaware of this.)

phoenixfire2k5
07-26-2005, 01:28 PM

-al

Yes, they pull CMs from other rides to help out with crowd control. Usually this will be overtime for them. But as I have seen for my own eyes around the hub area during the parades and fireworks, the SAME CM's are always in the same area everytime I am there. And I am an annual passholder so I have seen this frequently. So needless to say, they have the experience needed for whatever area that they are in and know their area well. As far as training goes, they do not train CM's for crowd control because it is an expense that the company will put money towards. Especially since guest control for parades, fireworks, and fantasmic is a division of attractions and EVERYONE is scheduled for it once in a while aside from whatever attraction they usually are scheduled at. So take in the amount of CM's that are on each attraction and that will give you some sort of an idea how many CMs that they would have to spend the money for to train for guest control. So, it's not gonna happen. Granted some CMs can be downright rude and it won't be the guests fault. But also try to see it from their point of view. Dealing with rude guests all day, most of them that won't cooperate. A lot of them do try to keep that smile on their face, but it can be difficult at times. For example, a CM who is doing crowd control BY HIM OR HERSELF in a crosswalk near the plaza hub during the fireworks, and guests continueally keep stopping in the crosswalk to watch the fireworks, and some don't bother to listen or move. If both CMs and guests would just work with each other in this case, a lot more people would have better days and nights at Disneyland. And this is coming from both a former CM and as a guest/annual passholder. So to quote a king, "Can't we all.....just get along?"

FantasmicFanatic
07-27-2005, 02:55 AM
Yes, they pull CMs from other rides to help out with crowd control. Usually this will be overtime for them. But as I have seen for my own eyes around the hub area during the parades and fireworks, the SAME CM's are always in the same area everytime I am there. And I am an annual passholder so I have seen this frequently. So needless to say, they have the experience needed for whatever area that they are in and know their area well. As far as training goes, they do not train CM's for crowd control because it is an expense that the company will put money towards. Especially since guest control for parades, fireworks, and fantasmic is a division of attractions and EVERYONE is scheduled for it once in a while aside from whatever attraction they usually are scheduled at. So take in the amount of CM's that are on each attraction and that will give you some sort of an idea how many CMs that they would have to spend the money for to train for guest control. So, it's not gonna happen. Granted some CMs can be downright rude and it won't be the guests fault. But also try to see it from their point of view. Dealing with rude guests all day, most of them that won't cooperate. A lot of them do try to keep that smile on their face, but it can be difficult at times. For example, a CM who is doing crowd control BY HIM OR HERSELF in a crosswalk near the plaza hub during the fireworks, and guests continueally keep stopping in the crosswalk to watch the fireworks, and some don't bother to listen or move. If both CMs and guests would just work with each other in this case, a lot more people would have better days and nights at Disneyland. And this is coming from both a former CM and as a guest/annual passholder. So to quote a king, "Can't we all.....just get along?"

Actually, Disney does train us on guest control. There is a 100 page operations guidbook for Fantasmic! and an 80 page operational guidebook for parades/fireworks guest ctonrol that we must read. I have read them both and am approved to do both. Guests need to understand that a walkway is just that a WALKway. Not a STOPANDWATCHTHEFIREWORKSCUSETHEYAREBIGANDPRETTYAND IDON'TCAREIFPEOPLEWAITEDINDESIGNATEDVIREWINGAREASF ORHOURSCUSEIPAID56BUCKSway. We are doing our bests out there and about one Cast Member, usually a female, every week gets physically assaulted by a guest when asking them to keep moving in a walkway. So please trust us, we are informed, we do have a plan, we are trained, and we are there to allow as many people to watch the show as possible as well as to assist all guest in getting through the hub to where they need to be.

FF

heidiwhr
07-27-2005, 05:28 AM
You are right. I have a good friend who is a Star Tours CM. She gets assigned parade, fireworks, and Fantasmic duty quite often. There are no dedicated CMs for those - they just pull them from around the park.

phoenixfire2k5
07-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Actually, Disney does train us on guest control. There is a 100 page operations guidbook for Fantasmic! and an 80 page operational guidebook for parades/fireworks guest ctonrol that we must read. I have read them both and am approved to do both. Guests need to understand that a walkway is just that a WALKway. Not a STOPANDWATCHTHEFIREWORKSCUSETHEYAREBIGANDPRETTYAND IDON'TCAREIFPEOPLEWAITEDINDESIGNATEDVIREWINGAREASF ORHOURSCUSEIPAID56BUCKSway. We are doing our bests out there and about one Cast Member, usually a female, every week gets physically assaulted by a guest when asking them to keep moving in a walkway. So please trust us, we are informed, we do have a plan, we are trained, and we are there to allow as many people to watch the show as possible as well as to assist all guest in getting through the hub to where they need to be.

FF

Must have changed a little since I worked there. I don't remember no guidebook. lol.

Physically assaulted? Every week? Now that's not right!

BigAlH
07-27-2005, 10:15 AM
We are doing our bests out there and about one Cast Member, usually a female, every week gets physically assaulted by a guest when asking them to keep moving in a walkway. So please trust us, we are informed, we do have a plan, we are trained, and we are there to allow as many people to watch the show as possible as well as to assist all guest in getting through the hub to where they need to be.
FF

I was impressed with the CMs in our area. We were just off the main circle, on the backside (South I think) of the walkway to Tomorrowland. There were some decent sized male CMs keeping the crowds moving as best as possible. Wouldn't fault them at all - just the RUDE people.

Being assaulted is just not right. I'm amazed that people think they can come up, 2 minutes before a parade/show starts, and expect to get a great seat. And then they get pissed off at the CMs because they aren't able to squeeze in and block someone's view. Of course, it's "all about me" these days right?

I for one appreciate the CMs very much!

-al

crazi4dlr
07-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Last summer I was at the park with my kids and after the fireworks we were trying to get to the ice cream shop by the lockers and were fighting the crowds on MS. Now we were clearly in the wrong and I was being a very bad example for my kids but I decided to go against the traffic to get what I wanted. But there was a great CM, from Adventureland judging by his uniform, who was working crowd control, and he made it very clear that what I was doing was wrong and he wanted us to obey the "rules of the road". He shouted out to me in a strong but courteous tone "Mam please use the appropriate side of the street and stay with the flow of traffic, it makes things more magical!!!". I got the point and was appropriately embarrassed and I must say that my kids and I still laugh about it today. Needless to say, I now stay with the flow of traffic. Thank you to all the CM's who work so hard to keep things moving and under such difficult circumstances. I promise to make your job a little easier by following the rules and if I ever see a guest go off on a CM, I vow to make that person feel like the biggest heel in the world.

phoenixfire2k5
07-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Last summer I was at the park with my kids and after the fireworks we were trying to get to the ice cream shop by the lockers and were fighting the crowds on MS. Now we were clearly in the wrong and I was being a very bad example for my kids but I decided to go against the traffic to get what I wanted. But there was a great CM, from Adventureland judging by his uniform, who was working crowd control, and he made it very clear that what I was doing was wrong and he wanted us to obey the "rules of the road". He shouted out to me in a strong but courteous tone "Mam please use the appropriate side of the street and stay with the flow of traffic, it makes things more magical!!!". I got the point and was appropriately embarrassed and I must say that my kids and I still laugh about it today. Needless to say, I now stay with the flow of traffic. Thank you to all the CM's who work so hard to keep things moving and under such difficult circumstances. I promise to make your job a little easier by following the rules and if I ever see a guest go off on a CM, I vow to make that person feel like the biggest heel in the world.

ROTFL!! Please let me know when you're driving here in Southern California, so that I may stay off the road. :p J/K

crazi4dlr
07-27-2005, 11:07 AM
ROTFL!! Please let me know when you're driving here in Southern California, so that I may stay off the road. :p J/K

I know, can you imagine the CHP and the LA county sheriff on their speakers saying "Mam please drive on the right side of the freeway, it makes it more magical"

Okay and I vow not to drive anywhere in So. Cal. In fact I only take it to the Grapevine and my husband takes it from there. I promise :D

phoenixfire2k5
07-27-2005, 11:19 AM
I know, can you imagine the CHP and the LA county sheriff on their speakers saying "Mam please drive on the right side of the freeway, it makes it more magical"

Okay and I vow not to drive anywhere in So. Cal. In fact I only take it to the Grapevine and my husband takes it from there. I promise :D

ROTFL!!!

Susan L
07-27-2005, 11:25 AM
We have watched the fireworks from the Fantasyland side numerous times and have always been able to go on the rides right after the show. Is this a new thing not letting people in through to Fantasyland after the show?

FantasmicFanatic
07-27-2005, 12:46 PM
We have watched the fireworks from the Fantasyland side numerous times and have always been able to go on the rides right after the show. Is this a new thing not letting people in through to Fantasyland after the show?

The Castle walkthrough has to be cleared by the Disneyland Fire Dept. and they tell the CMs at the castle. Wouldn't want guests running through the castle to get on Peter Pan and step right on a shell that didn't fire would ya? :-)

FF

FantasmicFanatic
07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Must have changed a little since I worked there. I don't remember no guidebook. lol.

Physically assaulted? Every week? Now that's not right!

Yes they made it so that Parades/Fireworks and Fantasmic! are considered as "Attractions". YOu have to read an OG for each and pass a PA and a KA for both then you are singed off.

And yes, I will come in and find out that the previous night someone was hurt by a guest, most recently it was a girl that got strangled by a foreign guest. But don't worry, she pressed chrages and that actually prevented the foreigh family from leaving the US to go home, they are being detained here.

FF

crazi4dlr
07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
And yes, I will come in and find out that the previous night someone was hurt by a guest, most recently it was a girl that got strangled by a foreign guest. But don't worry, she pressed chrages and that actually prevented the foreigh family from leaving the US to go home, they are being detained here.

FF

Good!!!! That is totally out of place at a theme park. I hope he gets jail time too for assault and battery. I hope the girl is okay. That really burns me up. I don't like it when people feel the need to tell off employees in any public place and I'm vocal enough (or stupid enough depending on how you look at it) to say something.