PDA

View Full Version : WDW Veteran's 1st Trip to DLR

NYC
07-20-2005, 05:01 PM
First...to all west coasters, I hope that the rededication ceremony was heartwarming and left all of you with a deep sense of pride for your beloved DL.

Second...I'm planmning 1st trip to DLR, but hubby's new client in LA told him that it would be a waste of time & money to make a trip to DL if we have already been to WDW. He is a long-time resident of LA and said his family prefers to vacation at WDW. Need help in putting together a convincing argument to make the cross-country trip.

Question: What exactly makes DLR so special to you? I'm not looking for comparisons between individual DLR/WDW parks and attractions, since we judge the enjoyment and worth of our vacations on the "total package" and not just on one park or ride. What I'm looking for are the special experiences we will encounter that are unique to DLR.

To illustrate the types of things I'm looking for, I've listed some things that make WDW special to us. Hope these examples help identify the types of things I'm looking for.

(1) Each family member has different likes and interests. WDW offers a wide variety of entertainment options that satisfy all family members. Although the parks are a huge part of our enjoyment, we also look forward to all the other ammenities that resorts typically offer (2) has attractions that satisfy a wide range of interests....a good mix of dark rides, thrill rides, playgrounds, theatrical shows and stunt shows, animal exhibits, museum exhibits, cultural exhibits and presentations, movies (3) tons of live in-park entertainment (4) night clubs and night life (5) wonderful festivals and special events (6) a wide variety of recreational activities (7) a wide variety of fabulous restaurants including a catered dinner fireworks cruise on a Disney yacht (8) exquisitely themed resorts (9) wonderful atmosphere created through detailed theming/waterways/nature is immersive throughout the resort (10) parks designed to accommodate large crowds so we rarely feel cramped (hubby's pet peeve) (11) a complete resort...once spent 8 great days without ever stepping foot in a theme park (except for taking 4 tours), and still didn't have enough time to do all the "non park" things that were on our list (12) Car not required...resort is all inclusive. etc..............

Hope those illustrations helped. I'm sure DLR has twice as many "special experiences." I just need your help in identifying them. I want to go to DLR soooooo badly, but if I can't convince hubby, we'll be headed to the Keys and the Caribbean instead of Calif on our vacation. Appreciate any "ammunition" you can give me. Thanks

TP2000
07-20-2005, 05:56 PM
(1) Each family member has different likes and interests. WDW offers a wide variety of entertainment options that satisfy all family members. Although the parks are a huge part of our enjoyment, we also look forward to all the other ammenities that resorts typically offer (2) has attractions that satisfy a wide range of interests....a good mix of dark rides, thrill rides, playgrounds, theatrical shows and stunt shows, animal exhibits, museum exhibits, cultural exhibits and presentations, movies (3) tons of live in-park entertainment (4) night clubs and night life (5) wonderful festivals and special events (6) a wide variety of recreational activities (7) a wide variety of fabulous restaurants including a catered dinner fireworks cruise on a Disney yacht (8) exquisitely themed resorts (9) wonderful atmosphere created through detailed theming/waterways/nature is immersive throughout the resort (10) parks designed to accommodate large crowds so we rarely feel cramped (hubby's pet peeve) (11) a complete resort...once spent 8 great days without ever stepping foot in a theme park (except for taking 4 tours), and still didn't have enough time to do all the "non park" things that were on our list (12) Car not required...resort is all inclusive. etc..............

Hope those illustrations helped. I'm sure DLR has twice as many "special experiences." I just need your help in identifying them. Thanks

From the examples you gave why you enjoy WDW so much, there will be very little to offer you if you come to Disneyland. We could go into a long thread (again) about the individual rides, attractions and shows that are superior at Disneyland compared to their Florida cousins. But since those types of examples don't interest you, or your family, then we won't do that here.

I think it's important you realize what Disneyland is not. And it is not a giant collection of theme parks, theme resorts and endless recreational activities spread over thousands of acres of wooded property in the middle of a sparsely populated part of the country. That's what WDW is.

Disneyland is a large theme park packed with fantastic rides and shows. And next door is a smaller theme park with noticeably less fantastic rides and shows. Wedged literally in between is an entertainment mall with a few great restaurants and some tourist shops, as can be found in many affluent communities here in SoCal (and I assume outdoor entertainment malls are now found in other Sun Belt states too). Plus there are three Disney owned hotels, only one of which is new and themed. The other two are from the mid 20th century and not really themed at all, unless you count the Disney pattern bedspreads and the little hand soap in the shape of Mickey Mouse in the bathroom. And all of this tightly packed collection of offerings is in the middle of 1960's tract homes, strip malls, freeways and some tourist accomodations. Disneyland's neighborhood is clean and safe, but it's not a master planned community by any stretch.

Southern California as a whole has plenty of the most sophisticated dining, shopping and entertainment options America has to offer. Disneyland, as SoCal's "local theme park" is part of that sophisticated entertainment package, but it is just one piece of the puzzle.

If you are looking for a one-stop-shop Disney experience as you described WDW to be, then Disneyland is not going to be for you. It would be better for you and your family if you stayed back East for your Disney fix. Of course I think you already know that, don't you?

NYC
07-20-2005, 08:54 PM
TP2000, thanks for the info. To answer your question, at this point there is a 50/50 chance that we will go to DLR. When I was asked "what's so different about DLR", I couldn't answer the question. I've never been there and I don't know anyone who has ever been there either.

Just because DLR is only 2 parks instead of 4 doesn't mean it isn't unique and has something different and special to offer. In my mind's eye I picture DLR to be like Universal Florida with 2 parks, 3 resort hotels and an entertainment complex. Although Universal doesn't have all the ammenities of WDW, we still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves during our stay there. Universal had such a different look and feel to both their parks and resort hotels it was a totally different experience. And their rides and shows were a lot different than those at WDW. We loved it there. Their festivals were also very different than Disneys, and during their Mardi Gras the park took on a totally different excitement. They also offer different perks to their resort guests and offer different types of dining opportunities.

So, I'm thinking DLR probably has a different look and feel than WDW and offers a somewhat different variety of attractions, festivals, dining opportunities, etc. It's the original park, so I'm sure there are Walt's touches all over it. We are not interested in say, Splash Mountain has a bigger drop (just an example, don't know if that is a fact), because as long as the attractions are similar that's not going to be a determining factor. But, is there something unique about the architecture, atmosphere and beauty of the park? I would think that Calif Adventure would be extremely interesting to out-of-staters, since it probably reflects the history and beauty of California. This would be a totally different experience than DL. Does DLR offer special "perks" to their resort guests that makes the vacation a little extra special? DLR probably offers some kind of recreation for those who want to take a break from the parks. I would imagine that their hotel restaurants would feature good California chefs and offer a variety of dining options.

I actually really want to go to DLR, but hubby isn't all that keen on going if it's no different than WDW. His request was very simple....tell me what's special about DLR and we'll go. But, right now, I have no answer for him.

The Mouse Is Back
07-20-2005, 09:00 PM
You might not believe it, but the one thing that makes Disneyland different from the Magic Kingdom at WDW is the fact that DL was Walt's baby, and his mark is all over the Park.

I've heard this from people who have been to every Disney park around the world, so I know it isn't just me. There is something just extra special, a little more magical, about the original.

Having said that - if you're looking for concrete examples of attractions inside Disneyland, California Adventure, or Downtown Disney that are significantly different to anything you've experienced at WDW, then you probably wouldn't be particularly excited by anything the DLR has to offer.

-Allegra-

The Mouse Is Back
07-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Okay, in carefully reading your second post - yes, there is a lot about the DLR that is distinctly "California". For folks who've never visited the area, DCA might actually be really fun (even though it's often slagged off on in threads here :)). There are several restaurants in DTD that would be different from what you'd find at WDW.

The architecture, layout, and agriculture at DL is different in many respects from the MK at WDW, but bear in mind that it's on a smaller parcel of land, so it doesn't feel as roomy.

I'd say you should tell your hubby that if he doesn't agree to go, he has rocks in his head. :p

-Allegra-

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-20-2005, 09:20 PM
While I have only been to WDW one time, and plan to take the kids there in a few years, Disneyland will always hold a special place in my heart. It doesn't have weeks worth of things to do, unless you want to do some of them over and over. But for me, it is my happy place. It is my most favorite place to go to vacation, feel like a kid again. I know WDW will be fun, when we go, but nothing will take the special place of Disneyland in my heart.

rfaljean
07-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Disneyland, to me, has a homey, small town feel to it. It's definately different than WDW, but I think just as good. It is an original. THE original. Without Disneyland, there wouldn't be WDW. It has enough attractions to take around 2 days to see
(if it isn't too busy). It has a few nice shows and a new parade (which I'm dying to see...). Something for everyone. DCA has more more thrill type rides (caters more to teens and 20 something's in my eye). Downtown Disney has a few clubs w/some after hours entertainment (House of Blues, etc).

I think that convincing your hubby is going to be hard, but maybe just pointing out that if it wasn't for Disneyland, there wouldn't be a DisneyWorld to enjoy.

For me, it's home. And nothing feels as good as going home again.

Good luck, I hope you get a chance to see the Magic Kindgom and enjoy it for what it is...

charpaul
07-21-2005, 07:41 AM
I have been to both resorts (WDW and DLR) and this is what I would say to your hubby about DLR:

-The parks are smaller and more charming (leave out the fact that they are sometimes more crowded)
-The attractions that you love so much are not spread out all over the place (WDW has most of the same attractions - just spread out to 4 different parks)
-Eating at the Blue Bayou is an unique DL experience
-Fantasmic on the Rivers of America is where it was designed too be watched(Do the balcony viewing with desserts! - get reservations early!!!)
-Staying at the Grand Californian Hotel can be wonderful!
-Our DownTown Disney is right there AT the Parks and Hotels and has many shops and restaurants for you to enjoy.
-You can use your DLR location to plan any number of other sight seeing trips in Southern CA
-Watch the Aladdin show at DCA
-Visit the DLR for the 50th Celebration!!!
-See "Remember Dreams Come True!" - it is an amazing tribute to 50 years of Disneyland magic!
-See the original Its a Small World
-Visit the park that Walt built
-Take a tour - "Walt's Footsteps" is a good one!

That is a start anyway. Hope it helps.

oregontraveler
07-21-2005, 07:54 AM
While I'm no expert, here's my .02...DL is more intimate, they have the Materhorn, the re-vamped Space Mt. Parade of Dreams, Remember fireworks, Fantasmic along River of America. Rod Miller in Coke Corner. Disney Gallery, which would have been Walt's new apartment. The tours are also worth doing
Over at DCA, the wonderful Aladdin musical, Animation bldg. Grizzly River Rapids, Cal Screamin' and the electrical parade. I'm not sure how much in common Downtown Disney is to WDW, but they have a good mix of shopping, nightlife & restaurants. GCH is the best themed hotel, the off-site hotels on Harbor or Katella seem to offer better amenities at lower prices. they are also just as close to the park in walking distance. After reading & re-reading your first 2 posts. It might seem that DLR is not worth it, but you should try it at least once. Depending on time & budget, you could do everything in 3-5 days plus add-ons for other SoCal fun in the sun. :)

gerry
07-21-2005, 08:18 AM
First...to all west coasters, I hope that the rededication ceremony was heartwarming and left all of you with a deep sense of pride for your beloved DL.

Second...I'm planmning 1st trip to DLR, but hubby's new client in LA told him that it would be a waste of time & money to make a trip to DL if we have already been to WDW. He is a long-time resident of LA and said his family prefers to vacation at WDW. Need help in putting together a convincing argument to make the cross-country trip.

Question: What exactly makes DLR so special to you? I'm not looking for comparisons between individual DLR/WDW parks and attractions, since we judge the enjoyment and worth of our vacations on the "total package" and not just on one park or ride. What I'm looking for are the special experiences we will encounter that are unique to DLR.

To illustrate the types of things I'm looking for, I've listed some things that make WDW special to us. Hope these examples help identify the types of things I'm looking for.

Hope those illustrations helped. I'm sure DLR has twice as many "special experiences." I just need your help in identifying them. I want to go to DLR soooooo badly, but if I can't convince hubby, we'll be headed to the Keys and the Caribbean instead of Calif on our vacation. Appreciate any "ammunition" you can give me. Thanks
now I really want to go to WDW.

gerry
07-21-2005, 08:21 AM

Hope those illustrations helped. I'm sure DLR has twice as many "special experiences." I just need your help in identifying them. I want to go to DLR soooooo badly, but if I can't convince hubby, we'll be headed to the Keys and the Caribbean instead of Calif on our vacation. Appreciate any "ammunition" you can give me. Thanks now I really want to go to WDW.

The old man
07-21-2005, 08:27 AM
From the examples you gave why you enjoy WDW so much, there will be very little to offer you if you come to Disneyland. We could go into a long thread (again) about the individual rides, attractions and shows that are superior at Disneyland compared to their Florida cousins. But since those types of examples don't interest you, or your family, then we won't do that here.

I think it's important you realize what Disneyland is not. And it is not a giant collection of theme parks, theme resorts and endless recreational activities spread over thousands of acres of wooded property in the middle of a sparsely populated part of the country. That's what WDW is.

Disneyland is a large theme park packed with fantastic rides and shows. And next door is a smaller theme park with noticeably less fantastic rides and shows. Wedged literally in between is an entertainment mall with a few great restaurants and some tourist shops, as can be found in many affluent communities here in SoCal (and I assume outdoor entertainment malls are now found in other Sun Belt states too). Plus there are three Disney owned hotels, only one of which is new and themed. The other two are from the mid 20th century and not really themed at all, unless you count the Disney pattern bedspreads and the little hand soap in the shape of Mickey Mouse in the bathroom. And all of this tightly packed collection of offerings is in the middle of 1960's tract homes, strip malls, freeways and some tourist accomodations. Disneyland's neighborhood is clean and safe, but it's not a master planned community by any stretch.

Southern California as a whole has plenty of the most sophisticated dining, shopping and entertainment options America has to offer. Disneyland, as SoCal's "local theme park" is part of that sophisticated entertainment package, but it is just one piece of the puzzle.

If you are looking for a one-stop-shop Disney experience as you described WDW to be, then Disneyland is not going to be for you. It would be better for you and your family if you stayed back East for your Disney fix. Of course I think you already know that, don't you?
I'd say this response from TP2000 is excellent. I love DL but if I lived in another state where I visited WDW once every year or two I would find no reason to visit DL on a trip to CA. You will find those who give reasons for visiting DL mostly appeal to sentimental reasons--"the original", has "Walt's touch", etc. But simply reading your first email I see no real reason for you to make the trip. There's so much to do in LA, if you give me your interests and age groups I can give you a few "fer instance"
David