PDA

View Full Version : No TV Special?

Pages : [1] 2

markmansion
07-20-2005, 12:14 PM
I was just wondering shouldn't there have been a TV special or something? I mean it was the 50th anniversary not 25th, 30th, or 35th. BTW why war there even a 35th anniversary it didn't really make any sense why there whould be a 35th anniversary. Anyway I can see why there would be a 30th TV special but why not a 50th anniversary TV special. I would even be happy with a special DVD (preferably a three disk set or something) but nothing. I would hope that Disney does a lot better for the 75th anniversary and if not I would dread what the 100th anniversary would be like. The only thing I've noticed in hype for the Disneyland's 50th anniversary has been minimal, at least in Wisconsin, but all I've seen was a commercial on ABC a couple times. No hype from anyone on the ABC primetime shows. Not even anything on cereal boxes or Happy Meal toys. I've seen more hype for The Incredibles on TV than all the hype for Disneyland's 50th combined.

Since there was something done for Disneyland's 30th anniversary should there have been something done four years ago for the Magic Kindoms 30th? Or do they plan on a 25th anniversary for Epcot next year?

phoenixfire2k5
07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I was just wondering shouldn't there have been a TV special or something? I mean it was the 50th anniversary not 25th, 30th, or 35th. BTW why war there even a 35th anniversary it didn't really make any sense why there whould be a 35th anniversary. Anyway I can see why there would be a 30th TV special but why not a 50th anniversary TV special. I would even be happy with a special DVD (preferably a three disk set or something) but nothing. I would hope that Disney does a lot better for the 75th anniversary and if not I would dread what the 100th anniversary would be like. The only thing I've noticed in hype for the Disneyland's 50th anniversary has been minimal, at least in Wisconsin, but all I've seen was a commercial on ABC a couple times. No hype from anyone on the ABC primetime shows. Not even anything on cereal boxes or Happy Meal toys. I've seen more hype for The Incredibles on TV than all the hype for Disneyland's 50th combined.

Since there was something done for Disneyland's 30th anniversary should there have been something done four years ago for the Magic Kindoms 30th? Or do they plan on a 25th anniversary for Epcot next year?

I remember them having a special for their 25th. Even their 30th, with a car giveaway, and I remember the show where David Hassellhoff sang at Tomorrowland Terrace. There was also a TV special for the 35th. Why they had a celebration for this, I don't know. But I remember there was a special that was hosted by the guy that was the judge on Night Court <can't remember his name>. It was filmed in the caboose or a dining car. But it was about the entire history of the park. I used to have it on tape, but I've misplaced it. Disney had a little thing for their 40th, because Indy opened at that time. And again for their 45th. But no anniversary special since the 35th that I can remember. Although I think there might have been one for their 45th though. They did have one for the opening of DCA though. But yeah, they are lacking in one.

This might sound corny, but I always used to envision a HUGE televised celebration for their 50th that involved all parks joined in via-satellite. And had about every tv, movie, and music star joining in from all the parks. But they didn't even have a tv special. Oh well.

Disneynerd
07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
This might sound corny, but I always used to envision a HUGE televised celebration for their 50th that involved all parks joined in via-satellite. And had about every tv, movie, and music star joining in from all the parks. But they didn't even have a tv special. Oh well.Not corny at all, I think that sounds like a terrific idea. Regis and Kelly broadcast their show from WDW and Disneyland back in May in celebration of the 50th. Perhaps other ABC shows will be filming episodes on location. Other shows that have done this in past are Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Step by Step, Roseanne, and Full House.

Andrew
07-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Other shows that have done this in past are Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Step by Step, Roseanne, and Full House.
MousePlanet's Shoshana Lewin wrote a series on Sitcoms on Vacation (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm030820sl.htm) a couple of years ago. She talked about several shows which filmed episodes at Disneyland and/or WDW.

phoenixfire2k5
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Full House, Step by Step, Roseanne, Family Matters, and Sabrina had trips to WDW. Blossom had a trip to Dland.

Opus1guy
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
I have 'em all somewhere on video tape. Anniversaries. Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Pre-Opening specials (the one on Epcot Center was particularly enjoyable with Michael Landon walking around and singing on piles of dirt). Lot's of big names. Loved 'em all, no matter how bad they were.

Most were Smith-Hemion Productions.

Agree with the OP. Just one of many shortcomings on how I think "The Company" handled Disneyland's 50th. I'll get around to my own perspective and thread on this when I get the time.

hlbtimes2
07-20-2005, 01:07 PM
On Saturday night they play "Princess Diaries" on ABC. They had some little spots with John Stamos during the commercial breaks through out the show. I think that was there "tv special", as lame as it was.

hlbtimes2
07-20-2005, 01:12 PM
But while we are on the conversation of missing promo's- why has McDonalds not done anything related to the 50th? I know for WDW's 25th they sold glasses, and they've done things for other Disney events as well. No trip give aways, no free goodies, no special goodies to buy......Whats up with that?

I know they just ended the agreement they had for movie promo's- but they are still serving McD fries in the park!

stan4d_steph
07-20-2005, 01:51 PM
They didn't even cover the 50th on ABC News on Sunday.

Disney Vault
07-20-2005, 03:24 PM

I feel the same way. They should have done something really special on ABC. The last time I can remember a special on the parks on ABC was when DCA opened.

Pilot Mickey
07-20-2005, 03:47 PM
i don't even remember anything for when DCA opened when was that on? :confused:

Disneyfun
07-20-2005, 05:28 PM
They didn't even cover the 50th on ABC News on Sunday.
Not true in Sothern California. SOme how I when I taped Desprate house wife it tapes 230 minutes SO I got the news. ANd there was a coming up next 2 times showing Mickey marching and then finally they did a small clip about the celebration.

Disneynerd
07-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Not true in Sothern California. SOme how I when I taped Desprate house wife it tapes 230 minutes SO I got the news. ANd there was a coming up next 2 times showing Mickey marching and then finally they did a small clip about the celebration.The local news here in Detroit mentioned it too for literally 10 seconds near the end of the broadcast. I believe they used old file footage too.:( But it wasn't ABC, it was FOX.

stan4d_steph
07-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Not true in Sothern California. SOme how I when I taped Desprate house wife it tapes 230 minutes SO I got the news. ANd there was a coming up next 2 times showing Mickey marching and then finally they did a small clip about the celebration.I'm talking about the national news. My local news covered it.

Niwel
07-20-2005, 06:08 PM

The crew from The Drew Carey Show hosted a special about DCA when it first opened. They also visited ToT later on "The George Lopez Show" Also, Samantha Brown has The Grand Californian as a "Great Hotel" on the Travel Channel.

Disney Vault
07-20-2005, 07:20 PM
I have heard some people hated it but it actually made me want to visit it. DCA just looks so nice at night and the show took place at night as some people were trying to meet up with Eisner.

Pilot Mickey
07-20-2005, 07:24 PM
The crew from The Drew Carey Show hosted a special about DCA when it first opened. They also visited ToT later on "The George Lopez Show" Also, Samantha Brown has The Grand Californian as a "Great Hotel" on the Travel Channel.

o, i thought you were talking about a big celebration show like Dateline: Disneyland but if it was just a tv show going there and filming, then i don't really concider that a special on DCA it's a special episode of the show it's on.

olegc
07-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Agree with the OP. Just one of many shortcomings on how I think "The Company" handled Disneyland's 50th. I'll get around to my own perspective and thread on this when I get the time.

Yuppers - that's the issue. How much did THE COMPANY see DISNEYLAND's importance for the overall corporate well being. Not as much as May 5th, I can tell you. You most likely have read all the musings from all the websites on the net that the folks running the 18 month long 50th celebration did not have anything exciting planned for DLR - one could even say they forgot the reason there even was a 50th. All the pins, merchandise, etc. was all tied to the 5th - and DLR was left to fend for itself and work out things for it's own celebration...

Like the unloved fraternal twin - or Harry Potter with his Aunt - we get scraps but we all know where the real magic lives!

Niwel
07-20-2005, 08:56 PM
o, i thought you were talking about a big celebration show like Dateline: Disneyland but if it was just a tv show going there and filming, then i don't really concider that a special on DCA it's a special episode of the show it's on.

THe Drew Carey thing wasn't a episode of the show, but George Lopez was. But as far as I can rememeber, they didn't do any specials for DCA... wonder if they will for Hong Kong?

phoenixfire2k5
07-20-2005, 09:33 PM

Shortly after it, in 2001. I remember it because the guy from Whos Line, Colin Mocherie, and a guy from Sin City were guests on it, among a few other stars. Colin was playing a security guard, and was after someone. And on top of Grizzly Mountain, Colin the security guard was looking for the person through binoculars.

phoenixfire2k5
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
I feel the same way. They should have done something really special on ABC. The last time I can remember a special on the parks on ABC was when DCA opened.

They also did a special for the reopening of Tomorrowland in 98. Now, it was either that, or the opening of DCA, that was actually shown on the UPN network.

PragmaticIdealist
07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Do we need further evidence that The Walt Disney Company is run mostly by incompetents?

If I owned a cultural institution that had commanded the respect of the world for half a century and I owned a television network with access to several million households, I think I would have used those resources to have broadcast something special for such an auspicious occasion.

ABC's 1955 live broadcast of the grand opening of Disneyland should have been re-enacted in some form to commemorate the half a century that has passed and the half a billion guests who have made the pilgrimage to The Magic Kingdom during that time.

White Rose Assassin
07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm really surprised there really is nothing for the 50th.

I really remember the 35th Anniversary special. I still have it on tape. I would kill for a copy of Will Smith's cover of "Supercalifragil..." (sic? yeah, I'm not gonna bother with the spelling) Even as a kid, I thought it was a pretty good look at the 35th Anniversary. I really liked the Cheers segment the best. I'm such a Haunted Mansion geek.

I remember when I was living in SoCal that the New Tomorrowland and Light Magic each had their own specials. I remember it was UPN who did the New Tomorrowland special. I forgot who did Light Magic. When it was Disneyland's 40th, I remember the Disney Channel showing episodes of Walt's Disneyland show and showing various specials. I have them taped somewhere. Even Indiana Jones had it's own special (it had Karen Allen and John Rhys Davies)! Oh, ABC also had coverage of the Indiana Jones ride.

When I went back to SoCal on the day Disneyland opened (May-ish) for the 50th celebration, KCAL news mentioned it towards the end of the newscast for less than 30 seconds. Some of the other networks later that day had some footage, but it was not a lot. I'm really surprised there isn't a 50th TV special. x.x

merlinjones
07-21-2005, 01:57 AM
So much for synergy and vertical integration... they did it better when they didn't own the network or means of distribution!

TP2000
07-21-2005, 02:17 AM
The TV special they did 4 years ago for DCA's opening was so horrible and pathetic, I'm kind of glad they didn't try one for the 50th. If those types of "creative" people are still at work for Disney, it's best they aren't given access to a TV special on a national network. It would just ruin the 50th.

There was also a TV special shown locally, I think on KCAL 9, for the New Tomorrowland opening in 1998. It was 2 hours long, and it almost made New Tomorrowland and Rocket Rods look good.